tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

I didn't say add food, I merely used miitopia as an example. And I didn't say reducing friendship points either, merely I meant as if they disliked something, they would get less points from it. You see, in miitopia, each mii likes and dislikes some food. Food they like yields more points toward getting stats while food they dislike yields less, but still does. For example if Bob the Cleric likes choc rocks, he will gain lets say 14 points instead of 10, on the otherhand if he doesn't like slime jelly, he might get like 6 points instead of 10.
My ideas are a bit based off this as some gifts and actions may yield more or less friendship points for each terraguardian than others, but never negative.

Yeah, I see now what you mean. I'll need to think abou... Oh... Well, they can gain friendship exp from eating too, I just may need to tweak that.
Beside would be helpful if town npcs also could get food too...
Ok, I think I got a new thing to research then.

Neat, and I have been giving Blue food albeit food from presents because I have a mod that makes them drop from any mobs.
To make coding easier, you could simply make interactions and gifts a terraguardian likes or dislikes have a multiplier to it.

Only birthdays are the possible way to gift companions, but as I said before, it's broken on current mod version.
I'll have to fix those in order for you to be able to gift them stuff.
As for other interactions, I really don't have much idea of what I could give them, so you get an extra friendship point, and also know them more.
Maybe some extra dialogues would be the way, but I would need to add to all of them, and add some way of cooldown for those.

This kind of thing, for example, would be really annoying:
Blue: "Have you heard about how I met Zacks?"
You: "Yes, about 20 times."

Is there a way to use "Michelle" companion as a skeleton for a new companion? basically 2 Michelle's but one will have the name changed.

For the other interactions, perhaps you could add a little menu such as in the chat one where as the friendship increases, more interactions would be unlocked. Each interaction could be tagged as a certain type (I dunno what the names would be though) and when clicked would give some text of what happened and increase friendship points, although certain interactions would be liked by each terraguardian than others, and then the player would have to wait until they could do another interaction.

As far as your guide for making a new companion, we would have to create the sprites ourselves right?
Unless you want to make a custom companion like TerraGuardians, no.
I actually should have tried to expand Gaomon Mod, to add a human companion to it, so people know how to make it.
Basically, you'll mostly deal with the coding part when making the companion, and I added a way of getting the infos you need for the companion design, and in a way that is really simple.
For the other interactions, perhaps you could add a little menu such as in the chat one where as the friendship increases, more interactions would be unlocked. Each interaction could be tagged as a certain type (I dunno what the names would be though) and when clicked would give some text of what happened and increase friendship points, although certain interactions would be liked by each terraguardian than others, and then the player would have to wait until they could do another interaction.
Well, as long as I don't add dating, haha.

You could if you wanted to lol. 18+ characters though for sure if you do to prevent creepy weirdness n :red:. Though is there any indication of how a terrauardian feels about you other than the friendship level? Level Five friendship doesn't really say much lol and I think I saw a pic before that had something in it like that.

Last edited:
How can i search GuardianID? I want to Spawn Brutus Directly because he has't show up in my world for 2 days while i playing my pinky mod world. Also,how can i set new a GuardianID For my custom companion? Which File of this mod let me do that?

You could if you wanted to lol. 18+ characters though for sure if you do to prevent creepy weirdness n :red:. Though is there any indication of how a terrauardian feels about you other than the friendship level? Level Five friendship doesn't really say much lol and I think I saw a pic before that had something in it like that.
Yeah, that actually doesn't really tell how much they like the player. The closest thing to that is the trust system.
Maybe I should add a mechanic which allows you to better find out how much the companion respects you.
How can i search GuardianID? I want to Spawn Brutus Directly because he has't show up in my world for 2 days while i playing my pinky mod world. Also,how can i set new a GuardianID For my custom companion? Which File of this mod let me do that?
He can actually take some time to appear, since his appearance rate is based on how many companions and npcs are living in your world. Anyways, GuardianBase.cs on the mod github contains constants with the companion ids.

For setting an id for your companion, you'll need create a method to hold your mod companion database, and then use a method on TerraGuardians mod to add that list to the mod. Check MainMod.cs on Gaomon Mod for how to do that.

Even then, the trust system is just like 'very happy', and that does sound like a good idea. Maybe with something to become even closer? The second bit is optional, but it kinda feels natural to have something more than just friendship if two people have been adventuring for multiple years tbh, albeit if anyone explores with a terraguardian for that long. Which I will try and I am sure others have too or will try too as in exploring with one for years.

I actually agree with that, but I don't really have ideas of interactions right now. Beside, it's not only the factor that they adventure the world with you, but also that you not only give them a house, and let them live with you.

That's true too, gotta give them a house and such. I tried to do that in my one world for Blue but Sardine and the guide went in lol. Though I have some sort of idea, I'm not sure how it would work tech wise as in code based.

Sorry for the hiatus. Did you guys were wanting an update?
The mod will now recognize Wall Creepers in the wall as Wall Creeper.
Changed the contributor badge on the guardian selection list to show the name of the players who contributed the companion.
Added missing contribution tag to Cille and Quentin.
Added Cille's description.
Requests not accepted will no longer be shown on your request list.
Cille leaving the world at night is no longer a bug, but now part of the mod.
-> She always returns during the day, as long as you keep her house intact.
-> The mod will no longer show messages telling you when she leaves.
Companions will get slightly bigger as they grow older than 18.
Fixed a bug where companion animation frames could go out of bounds.
Companions that move in to the house that Cille is living before she is your friend will be evicted.
Resting now will have time discounted from requests.
-> Resting too much will end up making you fail your request, so be careful.
Guardian actions will no longer have their "InUse" flag be false by default.
Companions will now leave their houses during the invasions, to try defending the village from invasors.
It's now possible to setup default combat tactic for companions. I've also set some companions to have different combat tactics.
-> Charge: Wrath, Bree, Sardine, Rococo, Miguel, Mabel, Liebre, Cille, Zacks, Brutus and Alexander.
-> Snipe: Green and Sadness.
Companions will no longer gain Acrobatic exp from being pulled towards the player.
Smelly's recruit npc will now show as "Captain Stench", instead of "Smelly N P C".
Cille can now crouch.
-> She will now also start with a Gold Broadsword and 5 Healing Potions.
-> And she will no longer go "Arrrgg!! Grrr!! Rrrr!" during bloodmoons.
Companion messages text shall now have a reasonable time to be read, without taking too long if the message is short.
Removed AlphaPig's Shaded Body for Rococo due to being way too dated sprite-wise.
The following companions got sprite revamps:
-> Rococo:
-> -> He now has a neck, so his head is now apart from the arms.
-> -> Also, fixed an issue with his belly sprites.
-> -> He will no longer have long chest when sleeping, ko'd or using throne. Instead, you will be able to see the extension of his belly.
-> Blue:
-> -> She also got a neck.
-> -> I had to move around some of her body parts, and also rework part of her spritework.
-> -> Her outfit also got changes, along the way of adaptation.
Changed the text displayed when placing a sign inside Sardine's house, before talking to him about bounties.
Ghost Fox Guardian no longer has absurdly high view range.
-> She will also only chase players she's staring in direction of, and can actually see.
-> She will no longer spawn when there's a boss fight.
Fear now got a Flintlock pistol as their starter weapon.
-> There's no point into him fearing combat, and then going close range in combat.
Nerfed Miguel's move speed from 6.7 to 6.2.
Buffed Cille's move speed from 5.6 to 6.
Companions will no longer try using weapons they have no ammo.
Companions that fails to find a furniture to use when idle, will now move to wait action.
Vladimir will no longer try picking up players mounted on guardians, or controlling them.
-> He will also no longer run away when hugging a companion.
Readjusted companions position when they are being carried by Vladimir.
You will now receive notices of companions skill levels increased is a multiple of 100, insteas of 25.
Fixed a bug where Cille's beast state couldn't trigger.
Fixed an issue where the mod wasn't correctly finding out the companion birthday, due to the the day and season storing of the companion being totally wrong.
-> Yes, birthday parties will happen too.
Changed the text for when the bounty target spawns.
Changed the coloring of many of the notifications the mod give you.
Changed how the mod checks for birthdays.
Companions will no longer ask you to kill a Wyvern just because you killed any first boss. Instead, will only ask for that if you've beaten at least one mech boss.
Companions will now mention if another companion moves in to a world.
The mod will now correctly split words from information posted on Sardine's Bounty Board, like for example, the biome the bounty appears, and the mods necessary.
Companions will no longer tell you to get Rotten Chunks or Vertebraes undepending on the affliction the world is suffering.
Companions will now be able to ask you to collect Power Cores, if you have beaten Plantera.
This update brings quite a number of interesting changes, but there's more things I plan to do. As for new companions, sorry for delaying. I'm working on my newest companion sometimes when possible, and there's 2 ready to be added, but I still need to code. Please be patient and they'll be out somewhere in the future.

Also, I think Operation N.E.C.K. was a success. Rococo and Blue got changes on their sprites. Please be sure to let me know what do you think of the changes. Not only the companions neck may have got changes, by the way. More companions will have changes to their sprites too, and next one I should try doing that is Zacks.

And on other news, due to an issue with Paypal and their new policy, there's no way right now of sending me donations, beside doesn't matter much, since last october I didn't got any, so I guess nothing changed at all. I'll try thinking of ways of getting donations, by the way.

If you wanna chat about the mod or have support, you can check out the Discord Server, or the Steam Group chat if you want to run the risk of seeing spoilers. Or, you can join both. What stops you from doing that? Beside, sometimes I launch poll on the discord server, so it's always good to check it out.

Anyways, I hope you guys like the new update. See ya another time.

Wait, you can hug them? How?
Well, only Vladimir can give hugs.

Anyways, I'm a dumbass and I forgot to post those here, as I promissed on chat before.
The player @AbsoluteBoom did those fanarts of the mod, and I really found them cool, and want to show off them.
You can check them out on the spoiler bellow to see the artworks.
Terraguardians.png
Terraguardians_Cille.png
I hope you guys liked it, and if you see @AbsoluteBoom around, be sure to thank them for making those.

See ya.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom