tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

I haven't gotten the mod yet, but are any of them Terrarians? You mentioned that the skill system only affected non-Terrarians, which I assume means ones like Rococo, Blue, and Alex.

Yeah. It would feel weird if Terrarian companions could get buffs from skills, while the player, who also is a Terrarian, doesn't.
Also, Nemesis is somehow a Terrarian, but might take a bit of time before you can find him.

Honestly, if guardians were easier to make or something like NPPlayers was added, I would just make a ton of Final Fantasy characters so I can live out my FF sandbox dream in Terraria-

Then I recommend you to keep an eye out for the updates.
I will still need to reimport the custom companion making system.
Of course, that will require knowing a bit how to make tModLoader mods, but
at least the dream can be turned to truth.

I've always wondered why the NPPlayers weren't brought back in the same fashion, when most other N Terraria stuff was. Was it because of the other systems like friendship, requests, and all the other things that make this more complex?

No, it's not.
The NPPlayers actually used the player characters to make them work.
In 1.3 version I couldn't reimplement them on tModLoader, so I made completelly built from the ground
characters that aren't the player character, but tried to mimic one (even the Terrarian companions weren't
exactly player characters on that season).

In the future I might try to add such support to that on this mod,
since that's somewhat what the companions are now adays.
The systems of the companions are kinda connected with the player script, beside
a number of things I had to workaround to make them work.
But, partially, they are recognized as player characters.

Also, I thought that having characters with different visuals and personalities, and implementing new ones
as time passes would be interesting. Kinda like a game where you recruit characters, where instead of gacha to get a new one,
you can get it by simply playing the mod.

And with that, I also implement extra systems to spice up things and make the mods and companions
more interesting.

New TerraGuardians Mod update released.

Luna Rearrives, and she will answer your questions about TerraGuardians, and also give you clues about
companions you may meet.
Do notice that I ported her dialogues directly from 1.3 version, with some changes on how they function, so
watch if there's inconsistency.
Also, just like in the 1.3 version, she will appear once you have met at least one TerraGuardian in the world you're at.

Pathfinding has been reimplemented, and companions will make use of it when necessary.
They will use it for when trying to reach places or someone, and also when trying to use furnitures.
If pathfinding is lagging your game, you can disable it on the mod Client Settings.

Companions got some knowledge on how to use summons, so placing a summon item on their inventory will
have them use it, while there's still summon slots.

Removed the white part on Rococo's snout.
Reimplemented pathfinding, and reimplemented some of its uses.
Zacks pre recruit state will no longer despawn at night.
Your character will no longer remain mounted on a companion upon death.
Alex will now automatically move in after you meet him for the first time.
The Nurse can now heal companions.
=> She will charge a bit more for that too.
Companions will no longer teleport to you if they have Terrified debuff.
Companions will now idle around your character, if you don't move your character for at least 30 seconds.
=> Companions will not idle if they're using a furniture while the player is using one too.
Fixed a positioning issue that could happen when sharing bed with a companion.
=> I made so companion offset and player offset are different things when sharing beds.
Luna rearrives.
Companions will now invoke summons.
Translated some item firing scripts for a number of projectile launching weapons.
=> Some of them might be buggy, like the Stelar Tune.
The mod will now be more aware of the biomes surrounding the companions.
=> That should make bosses like Eater of Worlds and Brain of Cthulhu no longer leave when targetting a companion.

You can get the download link from this post:
tModLoader - [1.4 Test] TerraGuardians - Terrarian Companions

Have fun :)

A hotfix for TerraGuardians 1.4 has been launched.
It fixes quite a number of issues regarding summons and some projectiles.
Yes, the Stardust Set is also fixed too.
Fixed issue where Baby Finch summon disappears when the follower reaches the companion head.
Fixed an issue where some summons, like Stardust Guardian set and Blade Staff weren't working as intended.
Glow masks of equipments will no longer show up in front of your companions.

Enjoy :)

Another hotfix for TerraGuardians 1.4 has been launched.
This fixes a serious bug regarding swapping characters during your playthrough.
Fixed a bug where characters from previous playthrough were retained if you saved and quit, and then entered the world with another character.
Fixed an issue with pre recruit behavior, checking watched player characters in the wrong moment.

Download link for the update is found here:
tModLoader - [1.4 Test] TerraGuardians - Terrarian Companions

I hope nobody bumped into that issue.

And yet another hotfix for TerraGuardians 1.4 has been launched.
Fixes errors that would happen with companions pre recruitment AI.
Fixed an error with pre recruit wander AI.
=> The pre recruit wander AI should work as intended aswell.
Hopefully the last hotfix patch of the day.
Now I have to work on reimplementing Brutus.

Well, the doors to the Ether Realm has also opened doors to other worlds.
Custom Companions are now a possibility on the mod.
Alongside that, Brutus, the Bodyguard also rearrived.
Brutus rearrives.
Modders can now add custom companions to the mod.

You can find an example of how you can create your custom companion on the link bellow,
but you will need some knowledge of how to make tModLoader mods.
Do check the mod main source code for further examples of how you can make a custom companion,
alongside also the fact that I can help if anyone has questions.

You can download the latest update here:

Enjoy :)

I launched an update to TerraGuardians mod.
This update reverts a change I attempted of making some graphical stuff regarding companions (like projectiles) be visible correctly where they should.
Sadly, I believe this means that summons like Baby Finch will be broken again, but at least your character will no longer break when you save and quit game.

Companion Sprites Container can now be changed.
=> This will be useful if someone tries making a fully custom companion.
Reverted the change that would make companions be recognized when being drawn.
=> That was also causing issues.

Update can be downloaded here:

By the way, I wont be attempting any fix for the time being, or doing progress on the mod, since I'm in desperate need of a break.
I've been for weeks trying to push myself into doing progress on the game, but the update 0.1.5.1 shows that due to pushing myself,
I ended up missing such a severe issue that can degrade playthrough.

That's why I'm taking some time off modding.
Anyways, if you bump into another severe issue, do let me know, and I'll try fixing it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I launched a hotfix for TerraGuardians Mod 1.4.
This patch is to fix a detrimental issue regarding companions treating whips like summon invoking weapons.
Beside it also disables the unintended Sardine giveaway.
Companions no longer have the chance of giving you the TerraBlade as reward for their requests.
=> It will now give Terragrim, as intended.
Sardine will no longer be automatically given to you whenever you start a new save.
=> That was unintended.
Companions will no longer flail whips like crazy thinking they are summon item.

Download of the update can be found here:

I'm still taking a break of the mod by the way, messing with other stuff meanwhile.

Be sure to let me know if you bump into a issue on the mod.

Have fun :)

TerraGuardians 1.4 update is out.
Not only Bree rearrives, but I also changed how the game manages companion drawing.
Let me know if this causes problems.

Projectiles created by other projectiles created by companions will now be recognized correctly.
=> That means items like Hornet Staff will work on companions too.
Fixed a problem where companions sitting on the player lap wasn't showing on the correct position, when facing right.
Bree rearrives.
Companions will now lose health normally when drowning, and also for other reasons.
=> This also disables the bump on character health if they just got maximum health change from skills.
Zacks has been renamed to Zack.
You can now cancel active requests by talking about them with the companion that gave it.
Fixed a issue where sitting and sleeping positions weren't taking body frame id in consideration.
Companions will now correctly try getting to player position when they're drowning, and the player isn't wet.
Changed how companions drawing works.

Download link for the update is found here:

Depending on the result of this update, I might try pulling this mod to mod browser.

It's boring having no news for long, so have a spoiler to keep you hyped.
1680747965436.png

Hey there everybody! Today I bring in not only just a patch bringing back features from TerraGuardians 1.3, but also
bring new stuff too. What is it? Well, keep reading to find out.

New TerraGuardian: Celeste
Alpaca Priestess Guardian.png
Celeste: "*May Raye Filos bless your journey.*"

Yes, you're not seeing wrong, a new companion.
I thought it would be boring to simply keep bringing only familiar faces as updates for the mod,
so I decided to break the ice by introducing a new companion.

This companion idea has been swimming through my mind for about a year, and only like last month
I begun working on her.
She's a priestess from the Ether Realm, who will visit the Terra Realm once she notices TerraGuardians
moving to your world.
The blessings she will bestow upon the world, will greatly benefit players and companions living in that world,
as long as she is able to pray daily.

She will also pray for the safety of those who are facing dangerous creatures, so having her living in
your world might make your lives easier.

And, if you're annoyed by her prayer, or think the buff she gives by that is too overpowered, you can
tell her to stop praying, and she will do. Of course, you can always revert that in the future, you just
need to talk with her again about that.

She might be a bit hard for you to get her to move in to your world, or be willing to follow you, but at least
its possible to take requests from her, so keeping on helping her will allow her to trust you more.

Who Raye Filos is? Well, she will be able to let you know. One thing is sure though, she's not talking about me.
My ego is not that big, you know.

TerraGuardians 1.4 released on Steam Workshop.

No no no, there's nothing wrong with your eyes, you have read right.
This mod is now disponible on the Steam Workshop.
You can access it on the link bellow, unless you already begun searching for it on the workshop once I mentioned that.
Steam Workshop::TerraGuardians Mod

If you want the mod to automatically get updated, you can subscribe to its workshop, and receive the updates
of the mod whenever they come out.

Bree rearrives

Sardine's grumpy wife returns, and yes, she's still looking for him.
If you did her recruitment quest in the 1.3 version, you already have an idea
of how to recruit her.

I reviewed her dialogues too, because they were kinda... Broken.

If you bump into any bug or issue regarding her recruitment, do let me know.

Control System reimplemented as Bond-Merge System

The last most voted feature from the poll I made months ago has been reimplemented.
The Control System, has been renamed to Bond-Merge, to fit more the mod lore.
I couldn't simply call it Bond-Link, since that's somehow how TerraGuardians communicates with you.

It will function partially like in TerraGuardians 1.3; talk with your leader companion, and ask to Do Bond-Merge.
Once you two are merged, you will take control on all the companion actions.
I took the liberty of replacing the status bars and the hotbar for the companion infos, so I don't clutter more the interface.
If you want to release Bond-Merge, you can still talk to the companion your character is merged with to undo the merge.

Yeah, let's say that the companion turns into your conscience when you're merged with them.
Zacks evolves into.... Zack

Always found odd that Blue's boyfriend is named Zacks? I kind of messed up when naming him, so ended up being Zacks.
I renamed him to Zack, and you'll find his name like that in-game.

If for some reason, people like his old name, I might revert that change.
Just do let me know what you think.

Less sharks to kill

Maybe not that relevant of a news, but a QoL one. I reduced the minimum number of sharks companions will ask you to kill from 5 to 1.
Yes, you no longer need to wait dawns and dusks on the sea shores trying to spawn all the sharks for the quest. I know your time is
valuable, and shouldn't be wasted with such an absurd request.

Change Log

Projectiles created by other projectiles created by companions will now be recognized correctly.
=> That means items like Hornet Staff will work on companions too.
Fixed a problem where companions sitting on the player lap wasn't showing on the correct position, when facing right.
Bree rearrives.
Companions will now lose health normally when drowning, and also for other reasons.
=> This also disables the bump on character health if they just got maximum health change from skills.
Zacks has been renamed to Zack.
You can now cancel active requests by talking about them with the companion that gave it.
Fixed a issue where sitting and sleeping positions weren't taking body frame id in consideration.
Companions will now correctly try getting to player position when they're drowning, and the player isn't wet.
Changed how companions drawing works.
Added an animation for when your character is mounting up and down a companion.
Sardine and Bree will now find odd if their partner has been found, but is not living in the world.
Brutus no longer offer you free mount.
Control System reimplemented, as Bond-Merge.
=> Once Bond-Merge is possible, it will become disponible on the leading companion follower dialogue.
=> Only TerraGuardian companions can offer you that.
Zack got Move In requirement changed to Friendship Level 3.
Companions will now let you know when you unlock a new interaction with them.
Fixed a issue where pre recruited wandering companions would be a emote machinegun depending on distance away from them, while they have spotted your character.
Luna will no longer react like as if you failed the request, if you speak with her about it while her request is active.
Companions will no longer be always willing to follow you.
=> The friendship level requirement of some of them will make you unable to have a companion as follower if you didn't met the requirement.
Companions will no longer always be willing to move in to your world.
=> Same as the one for following. Some companions will be reluctant about moving in to your world, if you don't have enough friendship level.
Companions can now receive at least a minimum of comfort regardless of wether they're fed or not.
=> The comfort bonus is higher if the companions are fed.
=> Please feed your companions.
Fixed a issue where companions would get confused when climbing ladders with nothing under them.
Readjusted how draw layering of player and companions work, so better display who should be drawn on front and who should be drawn behind.
Brutus will no longer backward slide when having a player mounted on him, because he will never trigger protect mode in that case.
Celeste arrives.
Reviewed companion descriptions, and how they are disabled on the selection interface.
Companions sleep time should now behave like TerraGuardians 1.3.
Companions no longer have instantaneous mana regen.
Reduced the initial number of Sharks companions requests asks you to kill to 1.

If you did not subscribe to the mod on Steam Workshop, just download the mod again from the link on the main page, and install it again.

That's it.
Have fun :).

Back
Top Bottom