1.4 Was Overall A Great Update, however, in some areas there were major let downs.

Terrablade101

Terrarian
I would just like to start off by saying that 1.4 was a fantastic update, and possessed some very good additions. However, in some areas, there were let downs that the community and myself were very disappointed in.
1.Golem Buff-It was stated that golem would be receiving a buff, and that he “had a few tricks up his sleeve” but I noticed no difference and several other players noticed nothing new with him, and found him still easier than plantera.
2. Master mode-while I did know that master mode was only going to be stat changes and minimal drop changes, many people on discord and throughout the community were disappointed in the lack of ai changes. Many feel that there isn’t much incentive to play, and they wish there was just a few new ai in some of the bosses.
3. Summoner-Me and many others throughout the community felt that summoner is still very much lacking after 1.4. we feel that while whips are a good addition, the extremely low defense of the summoner class really negates it. We would wish to see summoner receive more defense, as ranger has much more range, rather than a summoner who has to stick relatively close to the boss. A few new headpieces for summoner on the hardmode ores and a new set of armor post plantera would be amazing. Also we REALLY wished to see a moon lord summon drop that wasn’t a sentry, and a whip drop. We also feel that pre bosses could use some more summon weapons, as the finch staff is quite rare.
4. No Snow Biome Updates- Many of us were frustrated that the desert received ANOTHER update in 1.4, but the snow biome wasn’t touched. We wish there would be more incentive to go there, such as some more exclusive items or maybe even an exclusive ore, similar to desert fossil.
5. Npc Unhapiness- While npc hapiness is a great feature, many were upset that the game punishes is for putting the npcs where we want them and building one huge base to house them.

Please comment down below any more suggestions/ feedback regarding 1.4. Thank you for reading this if you made it this far

Last edited:
1. If i remember well when i saw the changelog, the improvement of the golem is more evident in multiplayer with many players

2. Maybe they didn’t put AI changes because it would be an exaggeration, at least there is the seed "For the worthy" for those who want it

3. I think that summoners should have little defense, the ability to attack with minions through the blocks, and without doing a lot of maneuvers to attack leaving too much time to worry about dodges, make the summoner have a certain advantage over other classes at this point, if a summoner prefers to fight more riskily to increase the offensive capacity he uses whips together with the minions, each class must have its weak point and strong point, summoners with a lot of defense would unbalance the comparisons I think. But I think the summoners' first weapon should be easier to conquer.

4. I think the snow biome is already well developed, has its own unique items and other things, even received its own crate in 1.4

5. I liked the new npcs happiness system, it's something that gives them more life

Last edited:
Yeah despiste the 1.4 update making important balancing changes, still weren't enough to actually make a difference, golem is still a joke of a boss.
Summoner is even less ranged than melee, has the worst defense in the game and minions are completely stupid against bosses, if they at least made classes have more mobility(either vertical and horizontal) the less defense they have when comparing to other classes so if we had to dodge everything more than sans undertale it would be more fair, or made summoner had more defense than mage at least.
Master mode is surely harder than expert, but not much like classic to expert, master mode is ONLY stat multipliers for bosses and enemies, no single new attack for any boss, if you already beated expert you might notice almost no single difference besides enemies suddenly killing you no matter your health and defense
Even the minor changes were a joke, daedalous still massacres the destroyer, while destroyer is still a nightmare of bullet and minion hell to be dealt whitout it
And there are still many changes they should have made, like nerfing retinazer, while spazmatism is a joke retinazer is a nightmare of a bullet hell specially on it's 2nd phase and i hate so much when he despawns during the 2nd phase boss despawning when getting away is extremelly stupid in many cases

Summoner is not a combat class, it's purpose is for construction and farming, maybe challenge runs.
Honestly I think the addition of whips was a mistake, they feed the delusion that Summoner is meant for fighting bosses.

Summoner is not a combat class, it's purpose is for construction and farming, maybe challenge runs.
Honestly I think the addition of whips was a mistake, they feed the delusion that Summoner is meant for fighting bosses.
Summoner is not supposed to be treated like a throwaway class with weapons that only help kill enemies while working on projects. It is a combat class, and should be treated like one, despite its major flaws and downsides.

Summoner is not supposed to be treated like a throwaway class with weapons that only help kill enemies while working on projects. It is a combat class, and should be treated like one, despite its major flaws and downsides.
Are you on the development team? Do you work for Re-Logic?
It has those major flaws and downsides because it's not taken seriously, it doesn't deserve to be treated like a combat class.
The first summons you can get are a 0.001% chance drop from slimes and a 1 in 3 chance to spawn item when your world is made.
You get one armor until hardmode and it requires you to beat a boss for it first.
Your best weapon requires you to beat an enraged boss that'll instantly kill you.

Summoner is a joke class that's true purpose is outside of serious combat.
The only people who take it seriously are modders.

It has those major flaws and downsides because it's not taken seriously, it doesn't deserve to be treated like a combat class.
The first summons you can get are a 0.001% chance drop from slimes and a 1 in 3 chance to spawn item when your world is made.
You get one armor until hardmode and it requires you to beat a boss for it first.
Your best weapon requires you to beat an enraged boss that'll instantly kill you.

The developers (Red specifically) did say that they actually consider summoner a subclass of all of the others, meaning you're supposed to mix your minion damage with weapons from other classes. I don't think they consider it a joke, more like you aren't meant to use it exclusively and instead mix things up with it. It actually suits this niche extremely well, too.

Last edited:

I think that playing only with the summoner class is viable, I've done it a few times, I just think that the first weapon could be easier to conquer.

The developers (Red specifically) did say that they actually consider summoner a subclass of all of the others, meaning you're supposed to mix your minion damage with weapons from other classes. I don't think they consider it a joke, more like you aren't meant to use it exclusively and mix things up with it. It actually suits this niche extremely well, too.
Your point fits well with the aspect of the game today, as long as the player is playing without staying in a single class in the entire game of the current character (which is the normal target of the game structure today: Characters that use more than one type of damage)

Your point fits well with the aspect of the game today, as long as the player is playing without staying in a single class in the entire game of the current character (which is the normal target of the game structure today: Characters that use more than one type of damage)
It's silly to limit yourself like that and nowhere in the entire game is it stated you need to. There are no achievements or exclusive items for doing that. Why wouldn't you, for example, use the Golden Shower while playing as Ranger? Holy Arrows and Crystal Bullets both benefit from it greatly and have their own respective niches where they outperform each other, so it's not like you can just load one of your weapons with ichor and suddenly play better than someone who mixes up their damage types.

It's silly to limit yourself like that and nowhere in the entire game is it stated you need to. There are no achievements or exclusive items for doing that. Why wouldn't you, for example, use the Golden Shower while playing as Ranger? Holy Arrows and Crystal Bullets both benefit from it greatly and have their own respective niches where they outperform each other, so it's not like you can just load one of your weapons with ichor and suddenly play better than someone who mixes up their damage types.
I currently only play by choosing a class for a character's entire journey, this increases the "replay value" of the game for me, for the style that always plays using any type of damage in his character, I don't see many reasons to continue playing after doing everything you can do in the game

Last edited:
I currently only play by choosing a class for a character's entire journey, this increases the "replay value" of the game for me, for the style that always plays using any type of damage to your character, I don't see many reasons to continue playing after doing everything you can do in the game
There are so many weapons in this game that it's basically impossible to get dealt the same ones every playthrough unless you specifically grind for specific ones every time.

It is not a joke class but it really lacks content.

By the way, you're right @Terrablade101

I couldn’t agree more. I feel like they had a chance to make summoner a much more open and available class. It’s so rare that newcomers to the game most likely wouldn’t know about it until mid hardmode unless someone told them. I also didn’t like how the terraprisma is so hard to obtain. It could have just dropped from empress normally, or even from moon lord, since he is still missing a summon

I couldn’t agree more. I feel like they had a chance to make summoner a much more open and available class. It’s so rare that newcomers to the game most likely wouldn’t know about it until mid hardmode unless someone told them. I also didn’t like how the terraprisma is so hard to obtain. It could have just dropped from empress normally, or even from moon lord, since he is still missing a summon
I do agree with both of you that summoner is a lot less fleshed out then the other classes, what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be as bad as the other classes. It's barely a combat class, but it should be a combat class. It should be as stable and available as the others. It was a good concept, it just wasn't executed properly.

I do agree with both of you that summoner is a lot less fleshed out then the other classes, what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be as bad as the other classes. It's barely a combat class, but it should be a combat class. It should be as stable and available as the others. It was a good concept, it just wasn't executed properly.
Or everyone is just drastically misreading the original intent they had with designing Summoner because the developers are awful at communicating it. That one time Red said you aren't supposed to play it pure is the only time anything official has even pointed in the right direction.

Here is a screenshot of this by the way, it's from the 8th Anniversary Q&A:
Summoner.png

You see, the problem here is this is what you feel, not what Re-Logic feels.
Derpling Ω makes a good point with that quote, Re-Logic doesn't see Summoner as something to exist as a pure damage class, the whole idea of defined classes was invented by players, Summoner in it's vanilla state exists to be mixed with other weapons.

You see, the problem here is this is what you feel, not what Re-Logic feels.
Derpling Ω makes a good point with that quote, Re-Logic doesn't see Summoner as something to exist as a pure damage class, the whole idea of defined classes was invented by players, Summoner in it's vanilla state exists to be mixed with other weapons.
See but my question is then, why do summoner armor sets exist in the first place? Why is there a summoner pillar? They surely could have just put 3 pillars, and kept summoner as its own thing, similar to throwing. I think that they went halfway in here, which isn’t good. If it’s a supporting class, it needs to be that and only that. Summoner armor sets and the stardust pillar put it on a pedestal with the other classes, and if that is the case then it needed/still needs some serious improvements. Also, 1.4 was supposed to be the update to make summoner just as viable as the other classes, no? Why do u think they added whips along with a handful of other summoner items? I just feel that they should have been all in with the idea of making summoner a viable class.

See but my question is then, why do summoner armor sets exist in the first place? Why is there a summoner pillar? They surely could have just put 3 pillars, and kept summoner as its own thing, similar to throwing. I think that they went halfway in here, which isn’t good. If it’s a supporting class, it needs to be that and only that. Summoner armor sets and the stardust pillar put it on a pedestal with the other classes, and if that is the case then it needed/still needs some serious improvements. Also, 1.4 was supposed to be the update to make summoner just as viable as the other classes, no? Why do u think they added whips along with a handful of other summoner items? I just feel that they should have been all in with the idea of making summoner a viable class.
why is there even summoner accessories to begin with? maybe mix summoner armour and magic accessories or vise versa, summoner is a mix n' match and the whips aren't supposed to be a constant, there effect of extra damage never goes away until the target is dead, whips are supposed to be used for a brief period of time before you continue with the other weapons
and ever played summoner pre 1.4? well I tried and I did jack :red: damage had to resort to other weapons to help me and that's the point of summoner to use it alongside with other things even if you completely spec into summoner you still cannot do enough damage unless you use other classes weapons

1. If i remember well when i saw the changelog, the improvement of the golem is more evident in multiplayer with many players
Yeah, I fought Golem with 4 other people and he was still pathetically easy. The only change I saw was that he could jump through the Temple’s ceiling.

It’s so weird to me that they fleshed out Summoner as much as they have, but it’s still considered just a sub-class. I’d say to go one way or the other, but the devs have already put in so much work for Summoner, and Leinfors will not be happy about scrapping anything, so it really should get the full-class treatment while still only being at its strongest when hybridizing. Unlike with other classes, Summoners have so few options that they basically have to use the same Summoner gear every playthrough, and some folks can’t even USE Summoner gear right away because all of the PreHardmode stuff, except the Leather Whip, is confusingly rare.

Back
Top Bottom