A Road Well Traveled - Terraria: Journey's End Launches on Xbox & PlayStation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you both tested it, as you've shown many shots of it. But it's not the same as a wider, more random testing, especially with update of this scale.

You are not allowed to do public beta testing on consoles unless you are a new launch title or a paid DLC. Ironically, giving you this for free means we cannot avail ourselves of that. So we are stuck with standard devkit testing. Yes, we have asked for exceptions and been told no.

That is also really the only issue I'm having, so I'll follow your post for an answer hopefully, also if anyone could shed some light on what the 4 icons are under the minimap represent? I.e the sqaure box, plus sign, yellow arrow thing, and the controller looking thing?
Which control scheme? On Advanced, you just select the item (A) and then press quick trash (down). We added the second step of selecting the item first due to years and years of countless reports of accidental deletions from hitting the wrong button.

On Advanced, at least:
  • Go to inventory
  • Rotate over to the housing section
  • Press the "world" toggle (if you didn't know, you can toggle between the playable world and inventory without closing inventory now) - this is Y on Advanced
  • Put cursor on whatever room, use command (query or assignment)
  • Press the world/inventory toggle to go back to inventory
  • Close inventory.

I FIGURED IT OUT, EVERYONE!

i swear i tried this before, but maybe i somehow overlooked the button...

YOU ASSIGN/KICK OUT/CHECK HOUSING BY USING YOUR "USE ITEM" BUTTON!

for me, that is "R1"... so whatever you have set as your attack button, is what you should use for the housing query stuff.

i somehow pressed EVERY combination of buttons EXCEPT the ONE i have set as my "use" button... figures.

You are not allowed to do public beta testing on consoles unless you are a new launch title or a paid DLC. Ironically, giving you this for free means we cannot avail ourselves of that. So we are stuck with standard devkit testing. Yes, we have asked for exceptions and been told no.
Hey Loki, been trying out the new update with the Spawn Rate at 10 and in the Underground Hallowed Desert, my radar detected I kid you not 188 enemies and strangely enough I did not notice any lag or slowdown and ive not had any bugs or crashes far, but im really enjoying it now i got my console gaming drive back.

Thanks to the hard work of DR Studios overnight - and the help of all of the information you provided - the team has developed a fix for the Xbox Sync Bug on Journey's End. This has been approved by MS & tested to the extent possible (we know it to work in at least a few circumstances). It will be rolling out to everyone shortly.

So you wanted Grapple on L1 and Jump on A? (XB1)
Is "A" "X" on PS4?
not ever pick any default or even a series of defaults that satisfy everyone
That's why you should have let people keep what they're used to. This goes for build mode too; the new method isn't nearly as good.
But then you lose 4 hotbar slots. This also means having to make every one of our characters conform to the same play style, whether it's a builder or a fighter or whatever.
Can I see an image of what you are referring to? Neither @Leinfors nor myself noted any graphical anomalies (that were not fixed prelaunch at least) or we would have flagged them... and we both played it.. a lot.
Can you honestly not see the difference in quality? When I saw the @ChippyGaming mobile launch video I was really pleased, as I thought that DR had done an amazing job; it looks almost like PC, and that we'd be getting this level of quality too. This does not look like PC.

As for the whole parity thing, we've actually gone further away from PC than we were with the PW version, as the equipment menu is no longer a nice slim line on the right-hand side, and the storage items are now 8x5 as they were with Engine (which also means all of my chests etc. are a complete mess). PW's version was a huge leap in navigation, which took some getting used to, but on the whole it was better than Engine's, as it was closer to PC. DR's version is the worst parts of both, including the visuals (what is up with that zooming background?).

I can't even figure out how to open the treasure bags I saved from Plantera to get the Seedler; it says "Press to Open" but there's nothing to press. I'm sure it's hidden somewhere in this Matrix that is the settings menu - this game has redefined choice paralysis.

Also, the section in the settings called "touch" (pinch to zoom etc.) can't be interacted with.

On the plus side, the loading times are great now, but that might be because my map data has been erased.

Last edited:

for me, that is "R1"... so whatever you have set as your attack button, is what you should use for the housing query stuff.

i somehow pressed EVERY combination of buttons EXCEPT the ONE i have set as my "use" button... figures.
Great thankyou, did you figure out those extra icons under the minimap?

Thank you relogic for everything! Now that this update came out on consoles I have even more to do. I really appreciate all your efforts <3 :rslime:

Is there a way to equip items from your inventory or chests? There's button to unequip them, but not the other way around.

Is there a way to equip items from your inventory or chests? There's button to unequip them, but not the other way around.

yes, though i am not sure if it'll be the same for you as it is for me.

i can equip my armor and accessories from my inventory by highlighting them and pressing R1 on the PS4.

the controls appear at the bottom of the screen, so you can always check those out while highlighting an item, it should tell you which button does what.

Is "A" "X" on PS4?

Honestly not sure - I don't have a PS kit so I cannot really check. Should be in your bindings.

That's why you should have let people keep what they're used to. This goes for build mode too; the new method isn't nearly as good.

Not possible without undercutting new features. 1.3 era gamepad mapping barely even handled what it had at the time, even with leaving some stuff off or making players make hard choices.

But then you lose 4 hotbar slots. This also means having to make every one of our characters conform to the same play style, whether it's a builder or a fighter or whatever.

Yep. Totally get the reaction, but I would just be repeating myself in explanation.

Can you honestly not see the difference in quality? When I saw the @ChippyGaming mobile launch video I was really pleased, as I thought that DR had done an amazing job; it looks almost like PC, and that we'd be getting this level of quality too. This does not look like PC.

Again, both @Leinfors and I logged well north of 100+hours - and if we had such obvious things, we would have seen them and had them addressed. So, if there is some new issue, I would like to be aware of it - thus my ask for pictures. :)
Also, the section in the settings called "touch" (pinch to zoom etc.) can't be interacted with.

Because you are not on a touch enabled device... and not all things are always for today.

I can't even figure out how to open the treasure bags I saved from Plantera to get the Seedler; it says "Press to Open" but there's nothing to press. I'm sure it's hidden somewhere in this Matrix that is the settings menu - this game has redefined choice paralysis.

This one I am interested in - what control scheme is this on?

I didn't know it was like that. I shouldn't jump to a conclusion without knowing fact first, and apologise once again.

Great thankyou, did you figure out those extra icons under the minimap?

actually, i just figured out atleast one of the icons...

the furthest one to the left, the little square... that just indicates whether you're using the smart cursor or not.

aka - pressing down the right stick... switching between the normal and crosshair cursor, basically.

i assume the crosshair icon next to it probably goes along with that? maybe the lock-on mechanic?

the third icon, the yellow arrow thing... i think has to do with the arrow markers that appear over enemies now.

maybe THAT is the lock-on mechanic?

not entirely sure since i don't use lock-on.

still unsure about the controller icon, though...

it kinda looks like it has a "1" on it, though... maybe it has to do with how many players are in the game?

Phew... Okay. %:sigh:

Because you guys are already swamped with a myriad of... reactions... to the update, i'll just go ahead and keep it short n just list off ALL my pros n cons, as well as address ones still unanswered, from MY OWN personal &recent 1-day's worth of PS4 experience. This shouldn't take long .😇

EDITOR'S NOTE: I have been playing with a custom input; i do not have any info on the actual ctrl schemes and how they are supposed to work as opposed to custom, and honestly atp i don't see myself ever using them now that my custom setup has reached a 'close enough' state where i can comfortably play.
As of TODAY (10/1/2021)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
now lets jump right in so I can go finish playing lol...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PROS`:cool:
GRAVEYARD BIOME - I absolutely LOVE it!! the wind, the sounds, the eerie-ness, the ghosts, the THUNDER - was completely taken aback by it all upon first encounter. (and my first encounter, really WAS my first encounter - my main world's spawn is littered with gravestones i never cleaned up lol, so, upon launch that is literally the 1st thing i noticed.)

LOADING TIMES - back in the day, we had to go and make a sammich while loading into to our most dedicated, everything-is-carved-out-and-everyone-is-here large worlds cuz, well, that's how dedicated them worlds were &thus that's how long load times took. thankfully that's no longer an issue at all, and this also took me by surprise.
On the plus side, the loading times are great now, but that might be because my map data has been erased.
oh, well maybe that's more of a con then lol. 😅😬

CUSTOM REBINDS - POSSIBILITIES, ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES! Options on options on options. need i say more?

INVENTORY INDULGING - have you ever wanted to consume heals, meals, buffs n stuffs that's NOT on the hotbar, WITHOUT the need of sacrificing a precious input to the dreaded 'quick heal' bind? well now you CAN! simply hover over any consumables within your INVENTORY - again, NOT on the hotbar - and use your associated 'use item' button to indulge away. this also works on tools. (NOT the eating part, please be smart. i'm not responsible for what happens to your character if you try downing a PickSaw.)

GEAR REWORKS - One Word. Stardust. (well two technically, compound.)
Were you like me, running around cheesing everything in sight with your full-stardust-set-dedicated-pure-summoner build going "man this is great, but you know what would make this even BETTER? If m'damn Star Guardian could actually do MORE than just clap people"? well fear NOT! the NEW Stardust Guardian (full set bonus) has been reworked with a newer, seemingly stronger moveset; he can actually move around now in a fairly wide cone and attack on his own, and now has a devastating anime-style series of stardust blows! Rejoice, minions, for he now can ACTUALLY clap people.

NEW STUFF IN GENERAL - New Weapons. New Clothes. New Foods. Weather Patterns. Bosses. Zoologists. Everything. just. EVERYTHING. and this is me, still at the tip of the iceberg, the very cusp of culmination, haven't EVEN yet actually experienced everything this update has to offer. just wait till i hit up them new bosses, heheh. Gonna be epic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sigh... and now for the juicy bit...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CONS:nursemad:
GRAPHICS / PERFORMANCE - i know i know, as everyone on PS4 has already been addressing this and at this point i'm sure the devs are frankly quite tired of hearing about it, i do wanna start off by saying that, at least for me, it is not something that is constantly happening ALL THE TIME. its sporadic, its random, and its usually only in high-concentrated areas with lots of machinery going off in the bg, from my own experience (maybe a few monoliths, shooting nebula weapons, attaining high speeds with spark boots and starboards, etc.)
Running/scrolling side to side seems more choppy and not as fluid as the previous version, almost like its dropping frames. I also notice this when using weapons, kinda like the frame rate drops. I have noticed it varies and becomes smoother if i zoom right in with it gradually becoming worse the further i zoom out.
Yes like dropping frames, exactly. aside from what Loki and Lein personally may have experienced, it indeed DOES have its moments of choppiness - choppiness that DEFINITLELY did not exist a few days ago (and again, this coming from a very recent player and not the pattern of ppl who have had this same complaint but also haven't played since 1.2, from someone who has literally been chee- erm, grinding, this entire week leading up to the update). its notably during high speeds, thunder strikes and graveyards. it seems the game is simply no longer able to maintain that smoothness it once had before or can no longer keep up with the engine at high speeds, namely due to how much QOL / world overhaul content was added, and i know Loki, you keep going "example tho??" but unfortunately the only REAL way to explain is to get you in my living room and show you lol, but because i'm on house arrest, another great non-video example could be the map display:
Terraria_20211001125232.jpg

notice how the dark, undiscovered area's edge-line is now staggered, due to the minimap re-clearing dark areas in a choppy fashion when flying/traveling at high speeds (like dark doesn't covert to light smoothly anymore as it used to which results in edges like this... like, this staggered edge thing is completely new, no matter how fast i traveled darkness never did this at all, like everything was like, smooth... ugh, you would have to actually see the map behavior in motion whence traversing through dark to know what i mean, but i sadly do not have a video nor pic from thr last version to show for comparison, so you'll just have to take my (our) word for it haha.)

another minor example: literally my autohammer in the corner's lil hammer is stuck wiggling midair lmao, cause the game can no longer render its entire animation correctly. (same could be said w the animations of other tables such as bewitching table) other than that, its nothing that is truly affecting core gameplay as of yet and i couldn't be more thankful for that fact alone. because i know one thing, when i seent all the posts about lag and performance issues yesterday, indeed i was scared lol, i was like "dang, does that mean we waited all this time for the Zenith and you're telling me it wont even be usable? given how... performance-y it is? :eek:"

but nah, it works. it works (and looks) beautifully.

CUSTOM REBINDS - Yes, you aint seeing things - this is a pro as well as a con lol. as many have mentioned before, because there's a whole matrix of possibilities lmao, this can very quickly become overwhelming and even counter-intuitive. counter-intuitive especially when considering that, some of the menu-based commands available to you, will actually conflict with world-based commands on separate pages, for example: you cannot zoom in on a fullscreen map with L2/R2 (as you could before) without it conflicting/erasing the corresponding input on a previous page, even if one is menu or map-based and the other gameplay or combat based, and its like this for almost every other page of custom edits. this forces you to have to sacrifice certain setups you're used to as they are no longer applicable anymore all at the same time (as many have bluntly stated) and in this you end up with some pretty wacky compromises: my grapple is now R1+O and the map/minimap are bound to dpad with R1+ up/down to zoom, which... just feels wrong. ofc this can easily get tricky and DEF took some re-getting used to, but this particular setup was for me the only way to keep everything else more or less the same in regards to the previous setup and get it 'close enough'.

CHEST REDESIGN - nothing terrible here, really - i'm just not a fan of the 8x5 system, i liked the 10x4 setup, and, while this shouldn't bother me as it is not at ALL game-destroying, i'm a bit of a OCD/neatfreak when it comes to that kinda stuff, so you can imagine when i seen all my previously neatly stacked items all scrambled now, it bothered me. a LOT. :dryadconfused:
As for the whole parity thing, we've actually gone further away from PC than we were with the PW version, as the equipment menu is no longer a nice slim line on the right-hand side, and the storage items are now 8x5 as they were with Engine (which also means all of my chests etc. are a complete mess).
my sentiments, exactly . OCD's such as myself gonna be triggered lmao.
its like that scene from Monsters, Inc. when Boo knocks all his stacked stuff over "oh come on now, those were alphabetized!!!" :nursemad::nursesigh:

as for the equipment menu rework, i too was annoyed by that at first but have since gotten used to it thankfully.

NO MORE GRID / DPAD SYSTEM (?)
Am I missing something, because I can no longer do manual, precise aiming with a pickaxe? The cursor only moves to the center of the player, and the stops moving.

Edit: now I can't place precisely, either. Without this, it's near impossible to build.
i put a question cause not sure if this is what you're referring to nor if it has been addressed yet already. nevertheless, i for one have nothing on this, as of TODAY i still cant get mines to work correctly either. sometimes the grid displays, sometimes it doesn't lol. its def still in the game, but, sadly i do not think there is a way to use the non-smart cursor with the dpad as we did before because, well, the new dpad is used for binding now and seemingly cannot be bound to non-smart cursor (the + one with grid). at least not in my experience. i just been using the R stick in non-smart build mode in which case, this hurts for me as well. no where near as fluid as it once was.
The only other issue i have noticed when building from hotbar items is once i press r3 the grid does not display, however if i press inventory the grid displays and once i back out of the inventory the grid remains.
I figured as much. i'm not sure what is wrong here either. if anyone figures out the grid system, please post it!

NO MORE EXPERIENCE - darkness, unfortunately, has returned. (funny, that sounds like it came straight out a horror trailer but its not haha). in all my previously made worlds, the darkness is back on the whole map as if i haven't "experienced" that world yet. not sure if this was intentional or accidental, but as of TODAY i'm thinking its the former considering it goes a step further with the troll when you find that that same experience is now unshared with other characters, as it used to be. meaning, of course, you have to now re-carve out the darkness with EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER. AGAIN. while very tedious, its pretty inconsequential considering if you played it enough you know your way around that map already as it is. plus the actual state of the world - all my stuff, my houses, everything i carved out underground and the explored remains as it was undisturbed, so that's a big win. i know one thing: i'll take a dark world if it means i don't lose the world entirely. (also from that horror movie trailer lol. this is how the main character ends it🤣)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
now then, lets address some commonality stuff i figured out on my own....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ADDRESSING HOUSING QUERY

This def bugged me too but as you say you've already figured out and as Loki has already explained, exactly . you have to click the 'switch to world' button whilst within the housing section. that's at least how i was able to get it to work correctly.
Terraria_20211001134119.jpg

note that in this top pic, pressing X/A does nothing, just simply displays their names. but never fear - press the 'switch to world' button aaand...

Terraria_20211001134140.jpg

suddenly now, the Query button is HERE! (noticed at the bottom of screen, as well as the message yelling "occupied" from me spamming it for this example lol) just remember what your 'use item' button is assigned to for menus/inventorys of the sort. if you forget you can always look for it at the bottom of the screen via controls banner, given you didn't turn that off. feel free to share this info with anyone else who still seems to be confused.

ADDRESSING Y NO TRASH
for some reason i cant trash items. my guess was that trash held item would be it to trash what I have my cursor over in my inventory but nope. I remember in 1.3 I could simply trash an item by pressing square on my controller but now I don't really know how to trash.

I play on PS4 btw
from my experience currently, if playing custom controls, there is no input for quick trashing. you have to pick it up and trash it with your corresponding 'trash held item' button. honestly not sure why this was implemented myself, like who decided this lol, i too loved being able to quick trash everything with square. now its two-presses too tedious. hopefully they'll re-add a quick button for that, inventory quick-trashing for custom inputs.

ADDRESSING ZOOM - its the same as it is in-game. it doesn't really tell you this, but it's your specific input for the fullscreen map's zoom function AS WELL as in-game zoom. that decision i am not a fan of as that kept me from enjoying the game for at least the 1st hour, lol. but once i finally figured it out i didn't even need to mess around with the safe area option from the main menu, as Mods have since pointed out.
advice? bind zoom overall to something you wont be using much in combat or you could accidentally zoom whilst fighting - yet another example of how too many binds are a counter-intuitive feature.

ADDRESSING THE ICONS(UPPER RIGHT)
actually, i just figured out atleast one of the icons...

the furthest one to the left, the little square... that just indicates whether you're using the smart cursor or not.

aka - pressing down the right stick... switching between the normal and crosshair cursor, basically.

i assume the crosshair icon next to it probably goes along with that? maybe the lock-on mechanic?

the third icon, the yellow arrow thing... i think has to do with the arrow markers that appear over enemies now.

maybe THAT is the lock-on mechanic?

not entirely sure since i don't use lock-on.

still unsure about the controller icon, though...

it kinda looks like it has a "1" on it, though... maybe it has to do with how many players are in the game?
Good, i was just about to comment on this when you posted it. you're absolutely right.
the 2nd icon might be 'toggle aim mode' in the custom bindings, but i could be wrong as i don't use it. (unbound)
though i'm not sure about the controller one as well lol, you could be right about that too, it could be player count.

Just to Name a Few. lolol.
(if there's anything i missed please, feel free to quote me... dammit this was supposed to be a quick n short post lmao)

Allinall, this is a FIRE :red: update. and i again have yet to even experience it all. words cannot express the devotion and dedication you all have, and while i hate being that sappy dude, who comes in all sentimental talking about their experinece and testimony, i simply have no choice in this matter: i wanna thank each and every single staff member, the devs, the whole team, the testers, the janitor who comes to clean up sloppy messes in the corner, the architects who built Loki's undisclosed bunker, the people who cook their food, the docs that keep them healthy and the Mothers that birthed them. from the core of my soul, THANK YOU. this journey has truly been wonderful.

I tell you, when i first purchased this game (ohh boy here we go, time to get sappy) it was a flat NO from me; i went into tutorial and saw the Legendary Copper Shortsword for the 1st time and was like HELL nah, aint no way they expect you to fight w THIS?!? "wait what??? you gotta use L2 to jump/fly?? INCONCEIVABLE!1!"

I almost never came back, but thanks to the full gameplay trailers, seeing wings and things &seeing siblings playing the at the time PC version... i knew it would eventually get better. i saw the memes about the Copper SS i hated on and how the devs put it in the build for the strongest weapon and genuinely laughed for a solid 7 minutes. i thought, yeah, lets give it a chance. i came back, got gud, and never looked back. it was thrilling. it pissed me off. it was a blast. and i cant wait to experience the rest of the fullness this newfound game will offer me. The Greatest Thank You for all your hard work.

Last edited:
So my friends and I ran into some kind of issue where one of my friends went into his map and his game froze and had to restart the game, and on joining back in the world his inventory was reset to what it was when we first startdd playing on that world, which meant several hours of progress lost for this one person in our group. I don't know if this was a problem caused by connection problems or a bug, but that was something that happened.

So my friends and I ran into some kind of issue where one of my friends went into his map and his game froze and had to restart the game, and on joining back in the world his inventory was reset to what it was when we first startdd playing on that world, which meant several hours of progress lost for this one person in our group. I don't know if this was a problem caused by connection problems or a bug, but that was something that happened.

i think that actually just happened to me, i just made a topic about it in the console bug report section.

my game crashed after a long session today, after dying to a rolling cactus in the antlion nest/underground desert...

...and despite the autosaving, only the world data was saved.

my character data and map data were both reset to my last manual save, so all my work involving my character was gone, but since the world data saved, all the paths i carved out were still there, houses and NPCs were still there, items i placed were still there... but items i took and sold were also still gone.

seeing as i looted... A LOT of stuff... yeah... i can no longer get any of that loot back. %:sigh:

so if anyone sees this... save & exit often, don't rely just on autosave... and it's probably best to upload your save data after quitting, just to be extra safe.

Ok so just got on (Xbox), how can I set a multi button ket binding? I see there are some already on there but my controls from b4 are all the same besides some new ones like that. I unbound navigate hotbar bc it made me slow down when running snd cycling thu my hot bar. I want it to be hold up on d pad then use the right stick to scroll through but I can’t find away to do my own multi button bindings

Also btw the graphics a bit laggy. I can tell when the trees are swaying it’s not a fluid motion the tips of the trees look choppy and the pixels are breaking up making it look slow and glitchy. Will report back if I find more bugs

Also crafting feels off, if I hold a it crafts it and I’m holding it but the second I let go it goes to my inventory instead of remaining picked up by my cursor. Wile holding a (craft button) it should craft and leave it in your hand. And there should be a quick craft option like before where it puts it directly in your inventory.

Also now when your in your inventory and have an item in hand and click on another item it sends the item u clicked to where the item your holding was instead of picking up that item and leaving the item u had in the spot of the item u picked up. Liek it was b4 this is another minor annoyance an option to change these things would be nice

And you should be able to use the same button across different pages for control binds. I can’t make right trigger zoom in my big map bc it then removes it from use item. These should be separate.

Last edited:
Console Terrarians, it is here at last... welcome to Journey's End!

Initially released in May 2020 for PC, Journey's End brings Terraria to the next level, to a place where the core game can finally be called "complete". From new ways to play the game, to over 1000 new items to find and craft, to new bosses to challenge, and even a full-pass review of all content of the game for balance, graphic quality, and mechanics - truly, Journey's End has something for everyone. We cannot wait to see your reactions as you dive in to all that this update has to offer, and we hope that you thoroughly enjoy our gift to you. It has been an amazing journey indeed... but we truly feel that this end is really just a new beginning for the amazing world of Terraria.

This release will bring Console up to an equivalent (content-wise) of the 1.4.0.5 version of Terraria. Once all platforms are at least at this level (Nintendo Switch is next up!), the team will be focusing on bringing Console/Mobile/Switch up to content parity with the current PC version!

So, what awaits you in Journey's End? As you can imagine, this is a LOT to go over... so we are going to provide you with a topline summary along with links to the PC Changelogs and the Journey's End Review articles from earlier this year. While some things may not match 1:1 (such as UI/control differences and some features will be different), we feel this is an easy way to get you familiar with the content that is here at your fingertips. We will cover off some differences where we can. Ready to map out your Journey? Read on, loyal traveler!

index.php

index.php

TERRARIA: JOURNEY'S END (1.4) SUMMARY

THERE & BACK AGAIN: A SUMMARY OF JOURNEY'S END

Terraria: Journey's End contains so much in the way of content and new features, that we felt it would be best to refer you over to the main Journey's End Changelog from the PC launch for the full details. To be clear, at this point, there are a couple of things that are NOT supported by Terraria: Journey's End on Console:

Texture Packs & Modding are not currently possible on Console. This is something the team will explore as we move forward - but we cannot currently make any promises one way or the other.

Splitscreen + Online (in combination) Multiplayer is not currently supported - this will be explored at a later update, as we did not want to delay the launch to chase the many edge case issues this specific situation creates.

Chroma/RGB Effects are not currently supported on Console

Crossplay is currently not supported for Terraria - this is a feature that the team plans to explore once all active platforms are at content parity. We cannot promise whether or not we will succeed in this effort nor what form it will take, but we will attempt to make it a reality.

That being said, let's dive into a few of the more cool/bigger features:

index.php

NEW CHANGES SPECIFIC TO CONSOLE

A host of new settings and options, ranging from graphic quality to control profiles and much, much more!

Horizontal vs Vertical Splitscreen Toggle

Revised Gamepad mapping to account for the wide range of Journey's End controls - adjusted Defaults (Console Legacy, Advanced, Simplified) as well!

UI Changes to account for Journey's End Features

UI Editor - Check out the video above for details!

Keyboard and Mouse Support

index.php

NEW CONTENT
Over 1000 new items (beyond 1.3.5), bringing the total item count to over 5000!
New Critters to find, Enemies to Battle, and two new Boss Encounters!
New minibiomes
Blood Moon and Lava Fishing are expanded
Brand new epic Terraria Music
and much, much more!

index.php

JOURNEY MODE

Journey Mode provides a more accessible Terraria experience by placing the power to create the gameplay you desire in the palm of your hands. Research blocks that you dig up, items that you find, and enemies that you defeat in order to gain the limitless power to duplicate or to adjust the difficulty of the game to your whims. At last, you can have the Terraria experience perfectly tailored to your desires... the only limit is your imagination!

With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

How will all of this work on Console? Well this is where some of the new Console UI changes come into play. Here are just a few examples:

Research & Duplication are located within Inventory on Console - so you can Research, Duplicate, Craft, and Repeat all without leaving your Inventory Screen!

Control the Weather, Difficulty, Enemy Spawns... Godmode... and much more with your Journey Powers located in Settings!

index.php

MASTER MODE

MM-Test.png

A next-level challenge intended for those skilled, brave, or foolish enough to take it on, Master Mode represents the ultimate Terraria challenge. Unrelenting, Master Mode will punish your every mistake and force you to prepare and up your game like never before. Do you have what it takes to prove that you are a Master of Terraria?

index.php

GOLF

03JE-Golf.png

Time to hit the links in the world of Terraria! That's right, Journey's End brings the timeless game of golf to Terraria. Featuring an array of golf clubs, scorekeeping, and more, Terraria Golf introduces a whole new way to play. Create your own epic golf courses, share them with your friends, and then meet up on the links to challenge each other - who can hit the ball the longest, who has the best short game, and who has what it takes to make that clutch putt when it's all on the line?

Want to learn more? Check out our Feature Article all about Terraria Golf!

FORE-RRARIA! Hitting the Links with Terraria Golf

index.php

BLOCK SWAP

giphy.gif

One of the most impactful Quality of Life changes perhaps to ever reach Terraria, Block Swap is one of those features that you will find yourself asking "how did I ever live without this?!" in no time at all. No more will you have to tear down your constructions first in order to spruce them up with new-and-improved blocks or walls! Simply grab the block with which you wish to replace the existing blocks and place away - the new block will be put in place, and the old blocks will be there for you to pick up.

As long as your currently-equipped pick is powerful enough to dig up whatever it is you want to replace, Block Swap is there to serve you well!

Oh... and did we mention it works on chests... without you having to empty them first?

index.php

VOID VAULT

8aMNsEn.gif

(Wait, your inventory is full? Where is all that pricey furniture going exactly?!?)

O1O64xv.gif

Inventory overflow... you hate it too? Well, we have got the solution for you!

What on the surface appears to simply be the fourth available character storage item - the Void Vault - transforms into an automagical inventory overflow vacuum when combined with the Void Bag held by the player. This combination of items will immediately whisk away any items the player picks up once their inventory is full - and deposit them safely at home in the Void Vault for safekeeping. This won't totally eliminate all of your inventory woes, but it will certainly cut down on those trips to and from home base!

index.php

GRAVEYARD BIOME

Test-Gif-03.5.gif

Beware! For when too many tombstones gather together, the air shall chill and the mists roll in... what mysteries will you find buried six feet deep in the Graveyard?

index.php

FULL REBALANCE PASS ON ENEMIES AND ITEMS

As a part of Journey's End, the team examined and re-examined the balance of the content in the game. From start to finish, no stone was left unturned and no gear left unaccounted for. In the end, what remains is a full rebalancing of the game from top to bottom. Stats have changed, functionality has changed. There is no better time to start a fresh playthrough and experience the new Terraria for the first time!

Read all about the Revisit and Rebalance via the Article below!

What was Old is Made New Again: Revisting the Terraria Experience

index.php

BESTIARY & ZOOLOGIST NPC

The world of Terraria is so chock-full of content, it can be hard to keep track of it all! Sure, the Guide has you covered for crafting recipes and the Terraria Wiki is fantastic - but don't you wish there was a way to know more about your foes? Where can I find the Lost Girl? How much health does a Derpling have? How many coins can I get from farming Jellyfish? Wonder no more, for the Terraria Bestiary is here!

As you defeat foes, you will learn more and more about them - key stats, locations, drop rates, background info and more!

Learn all about the Terraria Bestiary by reading our Feature Article on the topic!

Mythical Beasts & Where to Farm Them: Exploring Terraria's Bestiary

index.php

EXPAND YOUR TERRARIA EMPIRE - PYLONS, TOWN BUILDING, AND NPC HAPPINESS

During Journey's End development, we conducted a focus group with all of the Terraria NPCs. Outside of some very strange requests (no, Guide, we cannot 'remove all doors at night'), their feedback was very clear: they are tired of being shoved into tiny cubicles or L shaped tubes and they want you to know this!

In order to help raise NPC morale so that they could be at their very best - and to reward players who go that extra mile to treat their NPCs with the respect they deserve, we are introducing the NPC Happiness System. How does it work? What does this mean for you? We have provided some details below, but you can check out our full Feature Article on the topic linked below as well!

Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

What affects NPC Happiness?
  • NPCs are happier when you locate them in biomes that they prefer​
  • NPCs are happier when they like their neighbors​
  • NPCs are happier when they are not overcrowded with other NPCs​

Adding nice furniture and aesthetics doesn't directly affect NPC Happiness... but it sure will make you feel better about yourself when your friends come over for a visit. ;)

What Happens if my NPCs are Happy/Unhappy?
  • NPC Shop prices will adjust based upon how happy each NPC is at the time​
  • If you make an NPC happy enough, you will gain access to a Pylon for that Biome (more on this below!)​

How can I tell if my NPCs are Happy?
  • You will notice a new dialogue option for Happiness for each NPC​
  • This will give you hints about what might make them happier as well!​

1588281980562.png

index.php

ROADS, WE WON'T NEED ROADS - INTRODUCING PYLONS

We briefly mentioned these mysterious Pylons in our section on things you can get with happy NPCs. So what are these, and why should you care? Well, if you have enough happy NPCs in a given biome, you will unlock the use of a Pylon for that biome. Pylons allow you to instantly teleport from one Pylon to another! With Pylons in place, your "big central base" now becomes an interconnected network of cool outposts all over the world, allowing you to get around quickly without the need to lay tracks or teleporters... and providing you a home away from home wherever you are!

Pylon 04.png

PYLON INSTRUCTION MANUAL

You can only have one Pylon of a given biome type placed at a time (so you can not have, for example, an Ocean Pylon at both Oceans)

Pylons must be placed in their aligned biome in order to function (you can place them anywhere else, but they will not work!)

Pylons must also have two nearby (and living) NPCs in order to function - again, the idea here is to reward building those bases/towns! :)

Pylons cannot be used during Boss Battles or Invasion Events!

zUq6pUA.gif

Pylons are quite easy to use. Once placed in their aligned biome, you simply click on a nearby pylon. This will take you to the map screen where you can locate another placed pylon to which you want to teleport, click it and off you go!

index.php

Journey's End has so much more to find and experience - we hope this very top-level summary has made you more familiar with some of the bigger features.

Return to Table of Contents

REPORTING BUGS

So that we can have an easy way to find and interact with bug reports, please post them on TCF by clicking the bug report button below!​
Are the seeds different between console and PC? I've tried a couple seeds now that have specific items I want, I inputted everything correctly (size, evil, difficulty) but I'm not getting the right worlds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom