PS4 2 ps4s 1 router

sheaadams86

Terrarian
i have 2 ps4s on the same network, when my brother trys to join my game it just loads forever and never lets him, and vice versa when i try to join him, we both have no problem joining other people online. ive tryed both wireless and 1 wireless and 1 lan, no luck. the only way we can play together is if we join someone elses game online but we dont want to rely on that, we want to have our own world, any ideas how to fix this?

This is probably a problem with port forwarding. Try enabling UPnP in the routers settings.

If you enable UPnP, each PS4 should be able to configure suitable port forwarding rules in the router by themselves.

On your PS4s network configuration status menu, does it say anything about NAT being restricted or something like that?

I'm not really familiar with PS as I'm a Xbox guy. I know my Xbox One is able to configure my router so that port forwarding works when UPnP is enabled.

The only thing I can think of that you can try next is setting up port forwarding manually for one of your PS4s (the one that will host the world).
There are some guides at portforward.com that could help you do that. Netgear routers are pretty common so there should be a suitable guide there.
If not I should be able to walk you through it.

NAT type 2 is what you want to have on your PS4. That means UPnP is working as it should. Setting up port forwarding manually shouldn't be necessary then.

I'm not sure what to try then. As far as I can tell it should work, but obviously it doesn't. :/

EDIT
I googled a little bit and found this article:
https://community.playstation.com/c...ort.topic.html/multiple_playstation-bM2X.html

Apparently it may not be possible for multiple PS4s to have full connectivity when on the same network. :(

Last edited:
the very last post of last page in link u put, the guys talks bout hooking up a second router and setting it up and it fixes problem, i will try this when i get home. another idea, does anyone know anything about VPN cause some of the post talk bout ip address being the issue, is it possible to use VPN on 1 system and not on other?

Provided your ISP allows you to hook up a second router in parallel, that's a viable solution. But from what I can tell c6300 has a builtin cable modem. I'm doubtfull whether it will work connecting 2 cable modems side by side. But if you have a second cable modem/router you could always try. An another solution would be to make your phone act like an internet gateway, and connect one of the PS4 through it when playing.

Yes, the problem has to do with ip addresses. For the PS4s to get full connectivity, each needs it's own ip address. When connecting them through a router they are forced to share a single address, and that simply doesn't work very well.

Using VPN to connect one of the PS4s to a different network (work/school/friend/neighbor) would be a viable solution if the PS4 had built in support. Unfortunately I don't think it does. You would be forced to rig up a PC with 2 network interfaces, that acts like a router on one of the interfaces. It's a technically interesting solution, but a rather messy one.

The kids wanted to play on our PlayStations. They saw the same problem. I believe the condition exists because the terraria server is configured locally on the respective PS4. This would be fine if the PS4 version allowed the user to select LAN or WAN server type but it seems to default to WAN only. Since the server is being advertised from the public IP, I don’t believe the second,client PS4 can access the server, as the client is originating requests from the same IP.

They most likely didn’t build in support for LAN play because the conditions for it weren’t common enough.

I don’t believe the second,client PS4 can access the server, as the client is originating requests from the same IP.
I thought the Playstation Network was used to overcome that limitation. NAT traversal isn't exactly a new problem. But apparently it doesn't work that way. And the problem wouldn't exist if PSN had additional port ranges that clients could connect through in situations like this. :/

LAN play support would be a nice addition. It's something that's been asked for from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom