Console 20x20 square of friend's world never loads correctly

That "bug" is lag. The visitor hasn't finished downloading your map

It's not lag. The issue you're talking about I've seen too - sometimes due to lag you may enter a giant "empty" zone that looks like no blocks are there. A few seconds later all the blocks appear and you may be trapped in a wall. That's lag.

The issue we're talking about is randomly when entering someone else's world, sometimes there is a grid usually a 20x20 or something space and everything inside that space is broken or messed up. Chests are unusable, crafting stations are broke, sometimes it looks like dirt is there, sometimes it looks like nothing is there. It isn't lag, it's clearly a bug in transmitting that specific 20x20 grid zone to the connected player. And weirdly it's always in the same space. Then, you can "fix it" by mining and changing things while that other player is present, then if they leave and return later it may (or may not) be broken again! It's frustrating.

There is no "update" for PS4..and no, I will not *uninstall* a PS4 game, that is ridiculous.

Also, I *did* contact 505 and they gave me a "solution" which doesn't work.

From 505 Support:
# Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off
# Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later
# Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller
# Select "Rebuild Database" from the menu. This scans the drive and creates a new database of all content

All it did was move the glitch to a different spot on the map.

There is no "update" for PS4..and no, I will not *uninstall* a PS4 game, that is ridiculous.
Do you not have the frost moon update that came out last week? By 'reinstall' I simply meant deleting the Game from your console and re-downloading it (strongly suggest backing up saves on a thumb drive first). There is obviously an error in how your version of Terraria is executing, there's a chance that getting a fresh download might fix it.

Re-reporting the bug to 505 informs them that the bug has persisted and needs further attention.

Okay so not sure if 505 fixed it but I never see giant empty squares in builds anymore. Did this get fixed?
On console placing too many chests (or any other sprite like beds) together will cause the area to glitch for other people's screen but not the host's. Did this glitch get fixed because I haven't seen it since a few updates back.

Basically where the chests are supposed to be there appears to be just a giant empty square... no background wall... no nothing.

@Fury, you were talking about a sprite cap in the announcement thread. Could you go more in-depth as to what you meant by that?
Just an FYI I experienced this glitch when joining my friend over xbox live, but when I changed my spawn point to be over by the dungeon it didn't happen anymore.

I don't have an exact number, but this bug seems to be related to a limit of the amount of sprites per (certain distance of tiles) viewable by clients over the network.
When that number is exceeded, the area will have this empty square in it for the clients. The host will still see the area as it was built and decorated.

Here's a test my friend Terrapin and I conducted in an effected room in his world to try to come up with a number--hopefully it helps:

The room that glitched in Terrapin's world is 121 tiles long by 15 tiles high (for the most part, there are a couple dips here and there for detail.)
In this area, there are 275 sprite decorations. Included in that number is each piece of armor on a series of mannequins. Without counting each individual piece of armor, only the mannequin itself, the number of sprites is 140.
If one more object of decor (chest, light, furniture, etc) is placed in the room, then the glitch reappears if the clients leave the server and return.

An empty square actually appeared on each side of this armor hall area. Far left and far right. So we concluded that the above numbers should be divided in half and came up with:
In an area @60x7 tiles you cannot exceed 137 (counting each piece of armor as a separate sprite) or 70 (counting just the mannequin) decorative sprites without the glitch appearing.

Hopefully that's not just over-complicating things. The reason why I counted each individual piece of armor placed on the mannequins as a separate sprite is because this glitch seems to be triggered a lot sooner in areas with dressed mannequins.
Another example:
I built a small but very detailed house. When my friend came to look at it, there was a hole glitched in it. I removed one thing (a painting) and when he rejoined the glitch was gone.

One more:
My friend's spawn has the word "Loveless" carved underneath. Inside, each letter is decorated with gems. Half of it was invisible for me (because of glitch) the very first time I joined that world. I told her to remove some gems. When I rejoined, the glitch was gone.

Anyway, I hope some of this info helps in some way.

Also, that was just three examples of many. I have helped a lot of people get rid of this glitch, and they have helped me as well. It has become part of the process of building -- invite people to check for glitch and remove decoration if needed.

Last edited:
I don't have an exact number, but this bug seems to be related to a limit of the amount of sprites per (certain distance of tiles) viewable by clients over the network.
When that number is exceeded, the area will have this empty square in it for the clients. The host will still see the area as it was built and decorated.

Here's a test my friend Terrapin and I conducted in an effected room in his world to try to come up with a number--hopefully it helps:

The room that glitched in Terrapin's world is 121 tiles long by 15 tiles high (for the most part, there are a couple dips here and there for detail.)
In this area, there are 275 sprite decorations. Included in that number is each piece of armor on a series of mannequins. Without counting each individual piece of armor, only the mannequin itself, the number of sprites is 140.
If one more object of decor (chest, light, furniture, etc) is placed in the room, then the glitch reappears if the clients leave the server and return.

An empty square actually appeared on each side of this armor hall area. Far left and far right. So we concluded that the above numbers should be divided in half and came up with:
In an area @60x7 tiles you cannot exceed 137 (counting each piece of armor as a separate sprite) or 70 (counting just the mannequin) decorative sprites without the glitch appearing.

Hopefully that's not just over-complicating things. The reason why I counted each individual piece of armor placed on the mannequins as a separate sprite is because this glitch seems to be triggered a lot sooner in areas with dressed mannequins.
Another example:
I built a small but very detailed house. When my friend came to look at it, there was a hole glitched in it. I removed one thing (a painting) and when he rejoined the glitch was gone.

One more:
My friend's spawn has the word "Loveless" carved underneath. Inside, each letter is decorated with gems. Half of it was invisible for me (because of glitch) the very first time I joined that world. I told her to remove some gems. When I rejoined, the glitch was gone.

Anyway, I hope some of this info helps in some way.

Also, that was just three examples of many. I have helped a lot of people get rid of this glitch, and they have helped me as well. It has become part of the process of building -- invite people to check for glitch and remove decoration if needed.
Thank you for that, I'd expect each armor piece to count individually since they can be placed and removed individually from the mannequins. :)

you're welcome. I'll help as much as I can to get rid of this "glitch" - if possible - or to help everyone find a definitive answer.

For the love of Cthulu, please fix this issue. This bug has been here since the day 1.2 hit last year.

To this day it is yet to be fixed. Seriously, it makes building annoying because you need your friends to keep checking to see if a house(s) was affected.

I'd give up Duke Fishron for this bug to be fixed. Please fix the infinite saving glitch as well. Oh and maybe a way to transfer our worlds to PC.

Maybe to much items(chest, trophies, furnitures, crafting station, and wire) in one spot?.
Try not to cluster interactive station and decorative so close together in one spot, spread them out(3-5 tiles aport) for multiplayer map.

an update:

I recently have been working on a large haunted mansion build and I used a lot of paint on walls inside. I usually only paint decorations since painted walls/blocks don't show up differently on the map and I tend to build things so that they look good on the map as well.
anyway...
There was one room in which this glitch appeared and it was the worst instance of this glitch to fix that I ever experienced. My friend Lemonzest and I worked on fixing it for hours. Usually, fixing this only takes a few minutes - remove some decoration and *boom* finished. At one point, I removed every decoration from inside the room so that it was completely empty and the glitch was STILL there for him.
BUT, we eventually figured it out. Not only do objects like furniture, paintings, chests, and lights cause the glitch, but so do wooden planks as well as PAINT...basically, anything besides blocks and walls cause it, and I suppose that paint counts as an "object" in the code or something since you are basically placing something, but on top of a block or wall.

The problem room was painted in a checkerboard pattern of white and black. I scraped off all the paint on the walls and, whatdya know?, that fixed it.

Last edited:
Hello, i used to play terraria on pc but recently bought it with the ps+ sale on ps4 aswell, but now my younger brother and me have ran into a hideous glitch that really destroys our map .. my younger brother said my house suddenly looked ruined, so i exit as i was in a cave and reinvite him, he says it still did. I just saw the regular map, to him it looks as if theres large stripes through my whole house like a bad graphics glitch has been placed over it, what is weirder is he can actually hit the blocks of it but doesnt gain anything for it, after trying that a bit i had to put together alot of blocks he had deconstructed in my house but that aside, it still looked glitched. I have tried restarting my whole ps4 together with him and that didnt work, he still sees it. He sent me screenshots. Where he sees these glitched walls he cant walk, i see him being repelled as if by a forcefield when he tries to.

Please tell me how to fix it. Our map is unplayable like this because he constantly is mobility obstructed wich gets him killed in blood moons and goblin raids.

This is what i see and what its supposed to look like:
Terraria_20151205030955_zpsqezy1xsb.png

This is what he sent me as screenshot from what he sees and cant move through ...
20151206004908_zpsiak3dwy4.png

And after hacking away glitched blocks and me having placed back a few things such as torches, but didnt fix too much...

20151206004902_zpsbkm1nflp.png

I dont want to start a new map cause i have all those crates type-coded for items and it would be hell to bring them all over to a new map.

Hello, i used to play terraria on pc but recently bought it with the ps+ sale on ps4 aswell, but now my younger brother and me have ran into a hideous glitch that really destroys our map .. my younger brother said my house suddenly looked ruined, so i exit as i was in a cave and reinvite him, he says it still did. I just saw the regular map, to him it looks as if theres large stripes through my whole house like a bad graphics glitch has been placed over it, what is weirder is he can actually hit the blocks of it but doesnt gain anything for it, after trying that a bit i had to put together alot of blocks he had deconstructed in my house but that aside, it still looked glitched. I have tried restarting my whole ps4 together with him and that didnt work, he still sees it. He sent me screenshots. Where he sees these glitched walls he cant walk, i see him being repelled as if by a forcefield when he tries to.

Please tell me how to fix it. Our map is unplayable like this because he constantly is mobility obstructed wich gets him killed in blood moons and goblin raids.

This is what i see and what its supposed to look like:
Terraria_20151205030955_zpsqezy1xsb.png

This is what he sent me as screenshot from what he sees and cant move through ...
20151206004908_zpsiak3dwy4.png

And after hacking away glitched blocks and me having placed back a few things such as torches, but didnt fix too much...

20151206004902_zpsbkm1nflp.png

I dont want to start a new map cause i have all those crates type-coded for items and it would be hell to bring them all over to a new map.
Moved your post to the relevant thread. Best fix for your situation would be to expand your house and spread out the furniture and what not. The issue is caused by having a high concentration of placed items in a limited space.

Moved your post to the relevant thread. Best fix for your situation would be to expand your house and spread out the furniture and what not. The issue is caused by having a high concentration of placed items in a limited space.
Will this be patched soon?

Will it revert the problem with the screen tear and glitch if i remove placeables from my mountainside house? Its a pretty important point on our town since its the only way out into the open from the caverns behind it.. I really dont want to redo that specific houses buildingstyle, ill try removing some items and placing them elsewhere, cant do that with the chests themselves im afraid, they are almost all completely filled with items so it would take way too long.
Please give me answer for if this is a known thing with the coders and being fixed?

Thanks!

Will this be patched soon?

Will it revert the problem with the screen tear and glitch if i remove placeables from my mountainside house? Its a pretty important point on our town since its the only way out into the open from the caverns behind it.. I really dont want to redo that specific houses buildingstyle, ill try removing some items and placing them elsewhere, cant do that with the chests themselves im afraid, they are almost all completely filled with items so it would take way too long.
Please give me answer for if this is a known thing with the coders and being fixed?

Thanks!

Try making the background walls less complex? Try hacking out all of the background walls and fill the whole room in with one kind of background tile?

Back
Top Bottom