3-in-1 Chlorophyte/Crystal Shard/Glowing Mushroom Farm (perfect for endgame Rangers)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
Here's a neat 3-in-1 farm that can be made in early hardmode to harvest some powerful Ranger endgame items. The items to harvest are:

1) Crystal Shards (to make tons of crystal bullets, arguably the most powerful endgame bullets in Terraria)
2) Chlorophyte Ore (for Shroomite Armor and Chlorophyte Bullets)
3) Glowing Mushrooms (to make Shroomite Bars from Chlorophyte Bars and use them for Shroomite Armor)

Video of the farm in action (with a demonstration of how the crystal bullets fare in boss battles):

The farm:

oVL3D6D.jpg

The farm is constructed in the underworld to maximize the number of chlorophyte ore that can spawn - there are 11 mud wells that can yield up to 20 ore each. Interspersed among the mud wells are the mushroom surfaces to spawn glowing mushrooms, and above the wells are pearlstone blocks to spawn crystal shards. The farm has a little builder's nook on the far right to create chlorophyte bars and shroomite bars, and to create armor and bullets.

Mushroom + Crystal Shard Farming:

A lever is pulled once to actuate the blocks containing mushrooms or crystal shards, causing them to fall to the ground. Pulling the lever again causes those mushrooms or crystal shards to be hoiked to where the player stands, making collection simple and effective.

Yields (after 1-2 hours):
350-400 Mushrooms
140-160 Crystal Shards

Wiring:

NbiojMj.jpg

Credit to ZeroGravitas for the idea of item hoiks (guide is here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...erate-drops-trawl-fallen-stars-and-more.4140/)

Chlorophyte Farming:

2x10 "wells" filled with mud are spaced 38 blocks apart, and adjacent to the mud wells are 4 chlorophyte ores to cause the chlorophyte to spread into the mud. According to the wiki, only 24 chlorophyte ore can grow within a 38x38 space. The player mines up the chlorophyte once most or all of the mud is converted, and puts down new mud blocks to begin the conversion again.

Yield (after 1-2 hours):
~200 Chlorophyte Ore

Credit to Eastredwoodman for the design (he has a video of the farm in the wiki page found here: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Guide:Chlorophyte_Ore_Farming)

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBRHA0TE0xeC1uWG8/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I must say, the design for the Chlorophyte wells is rather ingenious.

Eastredwoodman came up with a good design (assuming he was the first) - I modified it so that it comported to the current restrictions for growing chlorophyte, since they changed in a recent update. It seems more efficient to have the wells in a long row or column, since it makes collection much easier.

I'm going to make the Chlorophyte farm in mobile, because the mobile version has a tiny jungle and ore is scarce. I hope it works ;-)

Thanks!

Reactions:
Very nice, bravo! I'll definitely use these farms, just two questions, crystal shards can only grow underground? And those lights are just white torches correct?

Very nice, bravo! I'll definitely use these farms, just two questions, crystal shards can only grow underground? And those lights are just white torches correct?

Glad you like the farm! Crystal Shards only grow in the underground hallow which starts in the cavern layer, so you have to go pretty deep for the farm (I built mine just above the underworld). The lights are indeed just white torches.

Nice farm! great for all classes (Bullets, Shroomite, Phasesaber, Crystal Storm)
How many crystal shards and shrooms do you get in ~1 hour??

Instead of actuated mushroom grass blocks, dart traps or super dart traps could have also worked. Much resource friendly.
Also it should be also be a bit updated for the new chlorophyte growth mechanisms of 1.3.
Overall its good. If I had seen this thread earlier, before making my own designs, I would have made this one.

is that a strange plant in the lava?

Oh yeah its a really efficient farm now that you combined almost EVERY farm material now i want to see someone and add strange plants and mobs.

Also it should be also be a bit updated for the new chlorophyte growth mechanisms of 1.3.
Overall its good. If I had seen this thread earlier, before making my own designs, I would have made this one.

Do you know how the chlorophyte growth was changed in 1.3? I haven't investigated it at all, and the wiki only mentions that chlorophyte "grows in bigger chunks". I'm assuming that I should be expanding the growth pods, but I'm not sure by how much.

is that a strange plant in the lava?
Nope its just Diceman with some dye in front of red paint, probably blurred with some image editing software. If you look in the bigger image you will see him at many places.
Do you know how the chlorophyte growth was changed in 1.3? I haven't investigated it at all, and the wiki only mentions that chlorophyte "grows in bigger chunks". I'm assuming that I should be expanding the growth pods, but I'm not sure by how much.
Well it has changed in amount present and in range found, probably. Earlier, before 1.3 my cubes of mud didn't completely turn into chlorophyte but after 1.3 it fills up completely. Don't know how much can be present in a range, haven't counted it. Currently suffering a power cut, so can't count it either.

Do you know how the chlorophyte growth was changed in 1.3?
@critcodedtuna said on an uduely quiet Reddit thread:
Yup. Just a rough comparison, in cavern layer it went from 23 in 38 block distance/110 in 95 block distance to 40 in 35 block distance/130 in 85 block distance. Distance is away from the updating tile that far in each direction, so 35 distance would mean an area 71x71 centered on the Chlorophyte Ore tile attempting to update. Just need to work out exactly how far away 8x5 mud wells can be built.

For an easier build, if you're still in normal mode:

It is possible to construct the entirety of the farm in normal mode - use stone instead of pearlstone, and surround the farm with something that hallow can't spread through. When you beat your first mechanical boss, stick the Steampunker in a house in the hallow, and grab some blue solution - then spray the farm and watch it all convert to pearlstone. Just be careful to not contaminate outside the farm.

Or, as I've just discovered, a full set of spider armor + spider minions is perfectly sufficient to keep the local fauna at bay if you're in HM.

Last edited:
Does someone know the limitations of crystal shards spawns per area?
Might not help because the value seem to be low but you could increase the number of possible spawn locations:
crystal.jpg
(<-- outdated, don't use this, see 'edit' below)
4 for each block without unused space

EDIT:
findings: they never spawn at the top side of blocks (but the sprite changes to a on-top-crystal if it spawns at a left/right/bottom side of blocks above the block)
so, the image above is wrong. There is unused space. Updated version:
crystal2.jpg

EDIT2:
I found some source code online (1.2.4). Could be a bug that crystals can't grow on top. Code contains some part it can't reach.
Crystal Growing works like this:
every pearlstone/hallow ice block has the chance to get a crystal at left, right or bottom (if free). With current code (bug) bottom has 50% chance, left and right 25% chance each.
A crystal spawns if in the region +/- 6 blocks around the location not more than 1 crystals already exists.
EDIT3: The sprite can get converted to a crystal which looks like as it has grown on top of a stone. In real it grown at the left/right bottom side of a adjacent stone and just changed his sprite.

Last edited:
Been looking around for an amazing map this this. By chance you can show or edit the map to tell us what each of the farms / areas do and are for? Not just the farms underground But in the house as well?

Back
Top Bottom