tModLoader 3D Mod

I'll eventually try different methods of this, though they'll most likely use a lot more resources, but will look much better overall.

Whoo, new WIP
Screenshot 2017-06-18 22.07.00.png

It's more 3D than before, but eats more of my FPS than before.

I actually managed to get an average of 30FPS instead of 10FPS by changing a few functions and caching.
Although, somehow caching some things actually took more performance than just recalculating them all the time.

Just tried this out, and I must say the potential here is amazing. Although ground/dirt tiles don't currently look as good as structures do, the aesthetic is generally still very solid. And structures like my castle, and other housing look nothing short of beautiful. Water didn't glitch-out for me in any way, it just looked like water does otherwise. The most significant visual glitchiness was with involving lighting, with large dark areas showing up when they shouldn't, and then correcting themselves in a delayed manner -- although this wasn't too noticeable unless I was flying around with some speed.

As to be expected, framerates were not great. It was playable though for most things, like general exploration, town management stuff, etc. Fighting bosses on the other hand, proved to be a bit too much if it was normally any challenge. Also my late-game character which can fly around very quickly wasn't so do-able. Otherwise though, while noticeably a bit choppy, still fairly playable in my experience. I was mostly playing at 1080p, although lowering resolution did noticeably help the framerate. Also am I missing something, or is the Isometric option not available in-game yet? I'm only seeing the perspective view.

Never thought I'd ever play using a mod like this, but I'm glad I did. Way more people need to be trying this out. If you're planning on continuing progress here (and I hope you are), I look forward to seeing your work improved upon. Much luck to you, and incredible job so far!

Dirt is a pretty plain texture so it's not easy to have it look good. Grass however needed to be forced to flip once half way drawn otherwise they'd have a dirt edge.
The water glitchyness is more noticeable when you have the depth multiplier higher.
The glitchy lighting is Terraria itself. This will happen in vanilla on older systems mainly.

The framerates are way better than what they used to be. But too bad the checks alone are very expensive, however they only update when the player is moving.

The isometric option should be enabled when you disable the perspective option in the config.

I've started rewriting this for the 3rd time using a different method, but it's really put me against a wall. Right now, only one axis will work at a time and not both.
I may also try a 3D model approach but I've never worked with 3D models before in c# at all.
All of this was written by hand just using Notepad++ and compiling in game, like all my other mods.

TIME TO PROBABLY CRASH MY COMPUTER! IF you want to add some spec recommendations to it, I'm using an intel daul-core 1.8GHz laptop, 4gbs of memory, and no graphics card. It was playable for a building, but would never work for a playthrough. It is also took about 1gb of ram. I hope that info helped.

maybe you can find a way to instead of rendering 2 polys for every block face facing air (which is what i assume is eating frames) find some way to make every flat surface only 2 polys. you may already be doing this. but i don't know.
edit: for those who don't know how polygonal 3d works, every polygon is a triangle, all other shapes are made of multiple triangles. you want to have as few of these triangles as possible without sacrificing detail

I've noticed that both liquids and this mod renders above the backdrop map (pressing tab after the boxed minimap). If you use the same method of render as liquids, u can fix the zoom problem, render over liquids, and render over players

WHERE DO YOU GO TO DOWNLOAD IT
I'M JUST SO CONFUSED
SORREH IF IT SEEMS SO TRIVIAL
idk y its not searchable on the mod browser, but thats likely bc it hasn't been updated since 0.10.1. it still functions in 0.10.1, but bc its not built for it, tmodloader does not show u it

Back
Top Bottom