3DS 3DS KNOWN ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listing Siem things I noticed whilst playing the update.

Frost Moon:
-Santa NK1 does not go into his second form
-Frost Moon Music hasn't worked for me (after one try at the event, may change)

Life Steal Orbs:
-They are much slower now, I think? And they take a while to get to me, is that an improvement or and issue?

@Deanzor You didn't 'future proof' the game because you released it way too early. In time for Christmas, as I've said before... You didn't care about people's save files, or their progress... so long as you made your money. You will not listen to the fans and try to implement much requested features such as Online Multiplayer or larger worlds, all you care about is making money, not about your fans' wants or needs!

I welcome you to prove me wrong. Implement online multiplayer or larger worlds. You won't do this. At most you will add some items here and there saying it's a miracle the 3DS can handle them at all. BS, the 3DS can handle online multiplayer. You just cannot or will not do it.

All you care about is making money out of unsuspecting people that automatically assume that these features are in the 3DS version, but they're not!

You guys kinda suck.

Expecting Loki the PR machine to come try save your butts. It won't work though. There's no excuse for this! :)

@Deanzor You didn't 'future proof' the game because you released it way too early. In time for Christmas, as I've said before... You didn't care about people's save files, or their progress... so long as you made your money. You will not listen to the fans and try to implement much requested features such as Online Multiplayer or larger worlds, all you care about is making money, not about your fans' wants or needs!

It's a WEAK 3DS!! A 3DS can't run a huge world! Would you rather have the game playable or have so much lag? Online multiplayer? A 3ds can't even give run that much data!!

It's a WEAK 3DS!! A 3DS can't run a huge world! Would you rather have the game playable or have so much lag? Online multiplayer? A 3ds can't even give run that much data!!

I'm not asking for 'huge worlds'... just something other than miniscule would be nice!

The fact that the 3DS cannot handle larger worlds on its limited hardware makes sense - yeah...

Then make larger worlds for New 3DS (New models have x2 the RAM). If they don't do this they make it look like they only care about making money, or that or they're incompetent programmers. Or both.

There's loads of games on 3DS that have online multiplayer... The 3DS is capable of this. The reason it's not in Terraria 3DS? You tell me.

I'm already the bad guy at this point. Might as well go all out by now! :)

ok I'm gonna bring up something that has been brought up in the other console thread. Terraria IS a RAM heavy game. You'd think it wouldn't be but it is. The system has to keep the entire world loaded, spawn monsters, generate any dynamic lighting properties it has and generate enemies of all the varieties Terraria has to offer. The PS Vita which has even more RAM than the New 3DS even has problems running the Frost Moon/Pumpkin Moon when tons of enemies swamp the screen. The 3DS already has parts where the frame rate tanks and the only model that CAN run it decently after all that is the NEW 3DS. Games like Monster Hunter and Hyrule Warriors run on the older hardware but run poorly on framerate. Those games even then are still not as RAM heavy as Terraria is. The more the system has to generate the more RAM gets taken up and the more possibility to put the 3DS version in the same situation the Vita had been with crashing at random because of memory leaking. The 3DS is probably at it's peak as far as game version goes.

ok I'm gonna bring up something that has been brought up in the other console thread. Terraria IS a RAM heavy game. You'd think it wouldn't be but it is. The system has to keep the entire world loaded, spawn monsters, generate any dynamic lighting properties it has and generate enemies of all the varieties Terraria has to offer. The PS Vita which has even more RAM than the New 3DS even has problems running the Frost Moon/Pumpkin Moon when tons of enemies swamp the screen. The 3DS already has parts where the frame rate tanks and the only model that CAN run it decently after all that is the NEW 3DS. Games like Monster Hunter and Hyrule Warriors run on the older hardware but run poorly on framerate. Those games even then are still not as RAM heavy as Terraria is. The more the system has to generate the more RAM gets taken up and the more possibility to put the 3DS version in the same situation the Vita had been with crashing at random because of memory leaking. The 3DS is probably at it's peak as far as game version goes.

If the 3DS is at its peak, then expect no further updates.

I suspect the 3DS isn't yet at its peak, especially when you consider they've not utilised the New 3DS at all other than extra button functions and a slightly better frame rate.

I can understand why the worlds are tiny on old 3DS... but why is there no online multiplayer? There should be.

:(

I'm not asking for 'huge worlds'... just something other than miniscule would be nice!

The fact that the 3DS cannot handle larger worlds on its limited hardware makes sense - yeah...

Then make larger worlds for New 3DS (New models have x2 the RAM). If they don't do this they make it look like they only care about making money, or that or they're incompetent programmers. Or both.

There's loads of games on 3DS that have online multiplayer... The 3DS is capable of this. The reason it's not in Terraria 3DS? You tell me.

Yes, I am aware of what the 3DS is capable of doing. But really? Make the bigger worlds only for the New XL just because it has twice the RAM compared to the older models? No. That doesn't make sense to me. It's like Ignis said: Terraria does require lots of RAM to manage everything that goes on. If the game is going to be true to its word with the phrase "The world is your canvas", there has to be a wide variety of things to craft, buy, obtain, and conquer. Not to mention the enemy AI. Think about what the 3DS has to do to manage the AI of literally every enemy in the game, let alone the bosses. Each of the 14 (excluding event mini-bosses) in our version is unique in its own way. As such, they require far more programming than any standard enemy.

Question is, how will the 3DS handle 1.3 IF 1.3 can even arrive to the 3DS at all
[doublepost=1463106606,1463106438][/doublepost]

Question is, how will the 3DS handle 1.3 IF 1.3 can even arrive to the 3DS at all

It won't. They've already said the other consoles..even last gen PS3 and Xbox are getting to the point they can't handle things that well so if we can deduce that the Vita is hitting it's peak of content then the 3DS isn't far off...BUT perhaps we could get features from 1.3 like yoyos, different minecarts beyond the default one since we can't dye them or paint them. I would hope some features do make it..A taste of 1.3. Maybe add the 1.3 music files for the Underworld, Pirate Invasions, Goblin Invasions. give us at least some small things to say farewell to the last gen versions while PS4 and Xbox get well on their way to 1.3

It won't. They've already said the other consoles..even last gen PS3 and Xbox are getting to the point they can't handle things that well so if we can deduce that the Vita is hitting it's peak of content then the 3DS isn't far off...BUT perhaps we could get features from 1.3 like yoyos, different minecarts beyond the default one since we can't dye them or paint them. I would hope some features do make it..A taste of 1.3. Maybe add the 1.3 music files for the Underworld, Pirate Invasions, Goblin Invasions. give us at least some small things to say farewell to the last gen versions while PS4 and Xbox get well on their way to 1.3

I agree but if they would have tried to fit it all in they would have to downgrade all the new graphical features like they did on mobile. Or at least maybe the new 3DS could get exclusives, if possible

I agree but if they would have tried to fit it all in they would have to downgrade all the new graphical features like they did on mobile. Or at least maybe the new 3DS could get exclusives, if possible
We already have exclusives. For one thing, we are the only version with the Zapinator.

right. all I'm saying is that it'd be nice to get some of 1.3. just a little bit. yoyos look really fun on the PC version

Not sure if this happens for anyone else but swamp things and Frankensteins have broken spawning during solor eclipses making hero swords almost unobtainable, but reapers and vampires spawn most of the time, if not all.

I'd love to see different kinds of minecarts besides the default one. we can't dye the default one or paint it and there isn't any carts beyond the default so I'd love to see different ones based on biomes. Imagine a cart made out of the Eater of worlds..or the Bone Cart. based on original Skeletron. You could craft it from a special part dropped by Skeletron himself.

Holding in Smart Cursor Hammer for backwalls always hammers the first block

This is not fixed for me, the hammer will still hit the first block.

In other news though, hammering blocks seem to work properly now. I remember that there was one "corner" that we couldn't turn blocks into before? Unless I have a bad memory.

Pirate Event has been fixed. It works properly during the day now

Fishing works like a charm now, thank you for fixing this and all of the other things that have been fixed in the past couple of updates. Now off I go to grab myself plenty of crates!

Last edited:
Okay guys, I have some bad news to report.

European gamers will get the patch later this week, but we hit a last-minute snag with the American version. I know you guys are sick of hearing about delays, and I want to be totally transparent about what happened.

As the update adds new content, the save games cannot be be backwards compatible. If you have a 1.02 save and you roll your game back to 1.00, the save game won't work on the older version. It can't: if your save game has v1.02 items, the 1.00 game won't know what they are. So save games not being backwards compatible is expected - and necessary - behaviour.

Unfortunately, we didn't 'future proof' the 1.00 code properly. Instead of it saying 'that save is from a newer version, I can't load that', the game tried to load it and encountered a fatal error. Nintendo of America needed us to implement this differently so that the fatal error was avoided.

Fixing that is tricky, because we can't go back and add code to the 1.00 version to handle this better. That version is out there and on carts. Instead, we had to change how 1.02 deals with save games.

So now, when you update to 1.02 the game changes the save games so that a rolled back 1.0 version no longer recognises them as save games. So if you roll back, you get nothing.

When patching, we already had a warning in place saying that unpatching would render the save games unusable. So all of this behaviour is intended.

There should never be a reason to roll back on the EU version, but if you do the saves will not load.

Rolling back on the US game means you will not see any saves - but they will be there for you again when you re-update.

It's absolutely on us to have handled this better, and we were happy to work with Nintendo to find a solution. I'll keep you posted on the progress through submission and the go-live date once I get it.

Apologies.
another...delay? Where are the knives?

The N3DS may have double the power than the original 3DS.. but 256 MB (-32) over 128 MB (-32)... still not that great of numbers. I think they're doing a fine job considering how limited the system's hardware is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom