tModLoader Boxinator, a mod in a box to make boxes for boxing (aka lazy instant houses)

W1K

Witch
Code:
□¯¯¯□□□□□□□□□□
□ Boxinator \□
□         TTd□
□¯¯¯□□□□□□□□□□

This was initially a commission made by @Abyssal_Kutku but it seemed like more people than I initially expected had been looking for something of the sort, so here it is and on a thread of its own, mainly for visibility.
Introducing Boxinator , a mod in a box to make boxes for boxing.
I was asked to make a simple item capable of building boxes or entire suitable houses on the spot, this is the result.
e837a01073.gif
Boxinators will build a simple wooden box with wooden furnitures and a torch, along with a pair of platforms at the top to access the house. Boxinators are crafted by hand using 100 of any kind of wood (regardless of the type, they will always build houses in the default type of wood) and will always be placed according to the player's position, as shown in the gif.
Download (Sources included) Mirror Download Pre-0.10 (Sources included) Can also be found on the in-game Mod Browser Also imagine the entire thread to be formatted in such a way it looks like a box, so you can think I'm funny and original without actually doing work. I also don't know how to do that. I'm not a web designer. I just turn scripts into boxes. Nevermind, I used tables. Because get it? They look like boxes.

Last edited:
Interesting, tmodloader has come quite a way since I last looked into it.
Some very interesting things could be made with this.

Looking at the source I see that you manually wrote in the co-ordinates.
If you were to make it load each box programatically from xml or such like, it could lead to interesting options, such as customization.

Looking at the source I see that you manually wrote in the co-ordinates.
If you were to make it load each box programatically from xml or such like, it could lead to interesting options, such as customization.
I'm not sure how much support for external files tModLoader currently holds, but because every file in the mod's folder is compiled (unless you specifically tell it to not include them), I'm sure something of the sort can be worked out. Parsing actual documents is a bit of a different story but should still be fairly possible as it should be features allowed by C# itself.
All in all what I did was simply cycling through a matrix and placing tiles where needed and walls where needed, while then adding specific tiles in specific positions for the furnitures. The process can definitely be automated, even customized and could even lead to complex buildings like the underworld's towers or even the whole dungeon. Because I'm no expert when it comes to coding tiles or world-gen, I limited myself to something very simple, as commissioned.

This idea is really good. It spares a lot of time if you want to make only wood houses and are managing to get through a mod, without having any problems of NPC's or such.

Very nice idea!

Best mod ever. Also.. A suggestion. Fancy Box and Luxury Box to build more fancy houses in instant? ;p

Could you also possibly make boxes that make long, thin platform houses? Like the ones that allow your NPCs to fight enemies on the ground some people use? I'd provide an example picture but I'm on mobile.

It isn't a tmod file....
The .tmod file is in the Mods folder.

Could you also possibly make boxes that make long, thin platform houses? Like the ones that allow your NPCs to fight enemies on the ground some people use? I'd provide an example picture but I'm on mobile.
Not entirely sure. I could potentially replace most of the solid walls with platforms so that the NPCs have more freedom, that's actually a rather easy change.

The .tmod file is in the Mods folder.

Not entirely sure. I could potentially replace most of the solid walls with platforms so that the NPCs have more freedom, that's actually a rather easy change.
Im just stupid. :p

to do that the mod author would have to write and script a new item and im pretty sure that would take a long time

I love you for this, OP.

You saved me minutes having to constantly constructing floors on my oversized box house that takes up several miles of space, now I can just create miniature cubes with minimal conditions for survival (Which shouldn't matter due to the NPC's in this game being immortal)

this is a good mod, but it would be MUCH BETTER if you just made the house that the mod makes better. ;-; I suggest replacing the vertical walls with platforms. this removes the need to add doors because the NPCs are quite unreachable as it is right now, and still counts as a house. this also causes the issue that you now have a huge wall at your base because it's all wood blocks, and prevents navigating left and right of your base efficiently. in fact, to save wood and for navigation, I build all my houses out of wooden platforms and only use wood blocks under the chair and workbench because that is the only place where whole blocks are necessary. a simple adjustment like that would make the mod 6547832 times better. this is of course if you don't want to implement the holy grail of solutions: personal customizability. I know that it's very hard to implement, and I don't blame you if you don't want to do it, but I feel like it will make this mod much more popular. Most likely top 10, if not top 5. anyway, changing the stock house to a better variant as I recommended would still be a tremendous improvement.

Back
Top Bottom