60% Bestiary Trouble

JoelCrafter43

Terrarian
I'm trying desperately to reach 60% bestiary in order to get the digging molecart for horizontal crimson/hallow prevention tunnels but I'm having the hardest time, one thing I'm especially having a hard time with is gem bunnies I keep having normal bunnies spawn in their place despite having a town at a gem tree farm. I really need help because so far I've only gone up in the bestiary about 1.5% with almost an hour of work.

Attachments

• 20201026185544_1.jpg
    20201026185544_1.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 430
  • 20201026185546_1.jpg
    20201026185546_1.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 417
  • 20201026185548_1.jpg
    20201026185548_1.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 20201026185550_1.jpg
    20201026185550_1.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 602
  • 20201026185552_1.jpg
    20201026185552_1.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 299
I'm not even sure if you can complete 60% of the bestiary before hardmode. The wiki states you can complete about 64% of the bestiary before hardmode IF you also bring over things from a separate hardmode world. The problem is that I don't know how much out of that 64% is exclusive to hardmode and has to be brought over. If it's more than 4% than you can't really get 60% completition legitemately.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure if you can complete 60% of the bestiary before hardmode. The wiki states you can complete about 64% of the bestiary before hardmode IF you also bring over things from a hardmode world. The problem is that I don't know how much out of that 64% is exclusive to hardmode and has to be brought over. If it's more than 4% than you can't really get 60% completition legitemately.
Well I mean technically I could create an alternate world kill the wall of flesh grab some things and come back if necessary. I also for some reason haven't seen a single mallard duck or a regular turtle, I thought jungle and sea turtles were the only turtles added to the game. This is really frustrating because not having proper crimson/hallow protection is what's stopping me from entering hardmode I also keep running out of slime for sticky bombs since I can't find a slime statue.

Most of the hardmode enemies you can get in pre-hardmode are bosses and enemies from invasions and defeating those with pre-hardmode gear, in master mode no less, is easier said than done. You should be able to just bring hardmode critters to this world no problem.

Other than that you're still missing the following entries:
- town bunny pet
- explosive bunny
- enchanted nightcrawler
- grebe and pupfish (both oasis critters)
- gnome
- corruption enemies (you'll need to make an artificial biome)
- the three pigrons and medusa (statues)
- christmas bunnies, slimes and zombies (you'll need to change your clock or wait two months)

As for the gem bunnies and squirrels, I remember they spawned like crazy around my cavern town, the only problem was getting specific ones once I was looking for the last few, not really sure why you're getting normal bunnies, perhaps it has something to do with halloween?

Well I've just realized that the pumpkin and frost moon can be summoned pre hardmode with their items meaning that getting the digging molecart pre hardmode is essentially impossible unless you bring the summons from a post plantera world and possibly character. I really hate that re-logic made this cart something you can't get in pre hardmode because digging crimson/corruption/hallow prevention tunnels is hugely important and for vertical ones we've got bombs/dynamite and the new digging molecart seemed to fill the horizontal needs but seeing as you can't even get it pre hardmode it seems I was mistaken.
Thanks for your help Blizzkit even if it was ultimately impossible.

While I don't think it's possible to get the digging molecart in pre-hardmode (without bringing lots of stuff from an other world) but,

For quaranteening the evil biome, there are many other ways too. Certainly, the molecart could dig a nice tunnel relatively fast,

but if you like long straight tunnels like that, then scarab bombs can do pretty much the same. they will always go away from the player, so if you're horizontal with the scarab bomb, it will dig a long, horizontal tunnel that is 3 blocks tall. that's just enough to prevent spreading biomes from reaching from one side, to the other. except if there is grass, because of vines and thorns. then it's not enough, but any are with no grass, should be safe (so, generally, caverns)

bombs are also good, but dynamite is better for this, I think. if you don't mind the large holes, several dozens on dynamites can quickly quaranteene the evil biomes.

there are also many other things, like sunflowers, non-corruptible blocks (again, even dirt is safe, as long as there's no grass), but dynmite is probably the fastest option.

also, when you enter hardmode, the V will spawn somewhere anyway, so your original quaranteenes might turn out useless.
or if you meant digging TONS of tunnels everywhere? That is an option, but I think it sounds extremely tedious (even with the molecart). I know that dynamites can be quite good even in quaranteening the V. I can do that even relatively early in hardmode on normal or exper mode, though I dunno about master mode...

While I don't think it's possible to get the digging molecart in pre-hardmode (without bringing lots of stuff from an other world) but,

For quaranteening the evil biome, there are many other ways too. Certainly, the molecart could dig a nice tunnel relatively fast,

but if you like long straight tunnels like that, then scarab bombs can do pretty much the same. they will always go away from the player, so if you're horizontal with the scarab bomb, it will dig a long, horizontal tunnel that is 3 blocks tall. that's just enough to prevent spreading biomes from reaching from one side, to the other. except if there is grass, because of vines and thorns. then it's not enough, but any are with no grass, should be safe (so, generally, caverns)

bombs are also good, but dynamite is better for this, I think. if you don't mind the large holes, several dozens on dynamites can quickly quaranteene the evil biomes.

there are also many other things, like sunflowers, non-corruptible blocks (again, even dirt is safe, as long as there's no grass), but dynmite is probably the fastest option.

also, when you enter hardmode, the V will spawn somewhere anyway, so your original quaranteenes might turn out useless.
or if you meant digging TONS of tunnels everywhere? That is an option, but I think it sounds extremely tedious (even with the molecart). I know that dynamites can be quite good even in quaranteening the V. I can do that even relatively early in hardmode on normal or exper mode, though I dunno about master mode...
Well like I had said in my last comment I'd already figured out that getting it pre hardmode isn't really feasible, I've decided I'll dig the tunnels some time after getting into hard mode, hopefully it won't take too long to get to 60% bestiary.
I know very well about the v shape, the tunnels/hellevators I dig are meant to section the world into manageable pieces so anywhere the V hits won't spread to other pieces and then if necessary I can go through the section with a clentaminator. I typically dig 3 hellevators per biome(with sticky bombs of course) 2 on the sides and one in the center, then I usually dig 3 horizontal tunnels through the whole world.
And I am on a large world so the scarab bombs would be a little bit of a hassle to use and the molecart comes with the benefit of automatically creating a minecart track which I can use later on with the mechanical cart to quickly get around the underground.

Also wish me luck that the hallow spawns on the left side with my jungle and crimson goes to the right, wouldn't want a desecrated jungle biome. Although it would be a really interesting sight to behold a cave made entirely of dirt and crimson grass.

There are several players who does that, I saw screenshots like that before. As far as I'm concerned, I feel like digging all those tunnels is a huge hassle though. I usually make some trenches around the original evil biomes (if they're in risky areas) and around the V, with (sticky) dynamites. I don't think there is need to dig lots of trenches per biomes.
Though it might come in handy when changing one biome to the other for the hard-to-get bestiary entries, like all variants of sand sharks.

Good luck with the V. XD
But actually, I don't think I ever seen an actually crimsoned jungle (too bad there are no actual evil (and hallow) hybrid biomes with the jungle, unlike with the desert... Anyway, clorophyte starts to grow as soon as you enter hadmode, and clorophyte ore (and I read that bricks too) protects its viccinity from the evil biome to spread. Hallow can't convert mud to begin with, so that one is not quite relevant anyway there. So, if the evil does not spawn right through the jungle (it happened for me before, that's not very fun XD though if you can get a clemtaminator, it's not thaaat bad.) but anyway, as long as the jungle has a few days before the evil reaches close, the underground part will protect itself very well with clorophyte (just leave those veins of clorophyte near evil biomes intact later too). The surface is extremely vulnerable though, so, yeah, that needs to be protected.

There are several players who does that, I saw screenshots like that before. As far as I'm concerned, I feel like digging all those tunnels is a huge hassle though. I usually make some trenches around the original evil biomes (if they're in risky areas) and around the V, with (sticky) dynamites. I don't think there is need to dig lots of trenches per biomes.
Though it might come in handy when changing one biome to the other for the hard-to-get bestiary entries, like all variants of sand sharks.

Good luck with the V. XD
But actually, I don't think I ever seen an actually crimsoned jungle (too bad there are no actual evil (and hallow) hybrid biomes with the jungle, unlike with the desert... Anyway, clorophyte starts to grow as soon as you enter hadmode, and clorophyte ore (and I read that bricks too) protects its viccinity from the evil biome to spread. Hallow can't convert mud to begin with, so that one is not quite relevant anyway there. So, if the evil does not spawn right through the jungle (it happened for me before, that's not very fun XD though if you can get a clemtaminator, it's not thaaat bad.) but anyway, as long as the jungle has a few days before the evil reaches close, the underground part will protect itself very well with clorophyte (just leave those veins of clorophyte near evil biomes intact later too). The surface is extremely vulnerable though, so, yeah, that needs to be protected.
Well the reason why I say I hope hallow goes that way is exactly because it can't affect the jungle, meaning nothing would be harmed if the hallow went in that direction.

Well the reason why I say I hope hallow goes that way is exactly because it can't affect the jungle, meaning nothing would be harmed if the hallow went in that direction.
yes. but only if the hallow spawns next to the jungle. if it spawns inside of it, then you won't actually have a decent hallow biome, so have to create one artifically, which can take time...

Well... The crimson spawned on my jungle, and the crimson managed to hit all of the areas of my jungle I'd sectioned off with hellevators and now there's nothing I can do and like a moron I didn't make a single backup of my world, now my jungle is going to slowly be overtaken by crimson and now a world I've spent 100+ hours on will be ruined forever....
I would take the minor difficulty of creating a hallow biome over this any day....

Well... The crimson spawned on my jungle, and the crimson managed to hit all of the areas of my jungle I'd sectioned off with hellevators and now there's nothing I can do and like a moron I didn't make a single backup of my world, now my jungle is going to slowly be overtaken by crimson and now a world I've spent 100+ hours on will be ruined forever....
I would take the minor difficulty of creating a hallow biome over this any day....
That's sad. It happened to mee too, on some playthroughs.
If you can stop it on the surface though, the underground might can stop it, in a few days, because of the clorophyte. I think it should grow, even if nearby areas are crimsoned, since it's still a jungle regardless.

Or if you can get a clemtaminator from another world or something, and lots of solutions. though without godmode, cleaning up the jungle would be tough.

Well I really don't understand people talking about chlorophyte stopping crimson, I'm not sure how that would work but I've cleansed the entirety of crimson from my jungle now. I missed a spot in the initial cleansing and there was also a random crimson pocket from altar smashing somewhere in the jungle that wasn't in an area I though to cleanse since it was far away from the intial V spread. Either way I'm pretty sure that now my jungle is completely clean, took like 50 deaths to turtles and 50 deaths to moss hornets to actually do it but that peace of mind is worth it in my opinion.
ALSO HOLY CRAP AFTER THIS PLAYTHROUGH I AM NEVER PLAYING MEDIUMCORE AGAIN!

Well I really don't understand people talking about chlorophyte stopping crimson, I'm not sure how that would work but I've cleansed the entirety of crimson from my jungle now. I missed a spot in the initial cleansing and there was also a random crimson pocket from altar smashing somewhere in the jungle that wasn't in an area I though to cleanse since it was far away from the intial V spread. Either way I'm pretty sure that now my jungle is completely clean, took like 50 deaths to turtles and 50 deaths to moss hornets to actually do it but that peace of mind is worth it in my opinion.
ALSO HOLY CRAP AFTER THIS PLAYTHROUGH I AM NEVER PLAYING MEDIUMCORE AGAIN!
Congrats on cleaning it!!

And yes, turtles and moss hornets are horrible.
And, I dunno why would you started mediumcore, to begin with. it sounds like a nice challange? eh, no. it sounds like something extremely annoying XD once we know how terraria is.
Just play softcore, and it will be a lot less frustrating XD and a lot more fun

also, as for clorophyte though, it does stops the evil biomes. I dunno if I have any screenshots now to show, but if you can look through a partially corrupted jungle with T-edit, you will see, that near clorophyte veins, the spreading stops. they can't protect a very large area, but they will protect the blocks nearby.
it will not turn corrupted things back to purity, but it will stop the spread nearby.

Yeah I did think it would be a nice challenge at first but now I'm filled with regret, I'm too far in now to quit though. Mainly I did it for the bragging rights to be able to say that I beat master mode in mediumcore. Definitely not playing mediumcore ever again though.

Yeah I did think it would be a nice challenge at first but now I'm filled with regret, I'm too far in now to quit though. Mainly I did it for the bragging rights to be able to say that I beat master mode in mediumcore. Definitely not playing mediumcore ever again though.
Well, if you get to this point, I think you already have plenty of rights to brag.
Still, I'm not sure I even wanna imagine going through a hardmode blood moon, or martian madness or something with mediumcore... sounds like an endless cycle of getting spawnkilled or pretty much so...
Or going back for your items 50+50 times because moss hornets and turtles. I'm pretty sure I would just started a new playthrough at that point. so, I guess you have plenty of things to brag about.
But yes, having fun is better than raging because you dropped your items the 567th time in a row... XD

Definitely agree with that last thing lol.
Also for blood moons you should always rig your main base with some actuated blocks that can be turned solid with a switch during invasions to protect against all enemies that can't attack through walls, I've done it like that for years and it works wonders.

Definitely agree with that last thing lol.
Also for blood moons you should always rig your main base with some actuated blocks that can be turned solid with a switch during invasions to protect against all enemies that can't attack through walls, I've done it like that for years and it works wonders.
I suppose that sounds good.
I usually use simple zombie-proof doors, that is, they're barricaded by furniture from the inside, so the door only opens to the outside. it's easy and convinient (especially now with smart doors) - but you still sometimes have the guide opening the door on the zombie horde for some reason. ...actually though, blood moons are not bad, except for clowns. but some events like martian madness are crazy. the saucer is annoying (especially when it goes berserk)

Back
Top Bottom