64Bit for 4k please?

SnPS01

Terrarian
I just tried to run Terraria on my 4k. The Game allowed itself to resize the window to almost the 4k (almost 3840x2160 minus any window boarders and the Taskbar).
The Game Ran slowly, very sluggishly. After researching the issue, I quickly found out that its 32bit nature wont allow it to run more then 4GBs and running it at nearly 4k resolutions was eating up all the memory. Kind of disappointing since all the other hardware was almost not being used.

If the game was not being capped off at 4GBs, it would actually use the 8 Core 3.5 GHZ, 32GBs of RAM and the 2 SLI'ed NVIDIA 970s.
As it stands right now, its 32Bit nature just wont use enough to make it smooth playing on a 4k monitor. I don't mind the "Pixalation" of the game style, I just wanted to play with a bigger screen that allowed me to see a wider area of the map. But this 4GB cap wont let me.

Unfortunately XNA (the framework that Terraria is built on) does not have 64-bit libraries, so it's not possible to turn Terraria into a 64-bit application without substantial engine work and/or hits to performance and stability, which really would only benefit relatively few people.

That's not to say it won't happen: I am in no position to speak on behalf of Re-Logic, and they might actually be working on it as we speak. But I wouldn't count on it.

Everything I am trying to deal with this problem isn't working...

Driver updates, Un/Re-install XNA, change skip fram settings to off, make sure NVidia's FPS limiter isn't an issue, even deleting Config.json failled.

On top of ALL of that, I even tried to use a second computer as a dedicated server, to see if it could act as a work around and couldn't get that to work either.
Figured out how to setup the server. Restarted it just to be sure. Made sure the firewall settings let the game threw. Even gone back and Downloaded the dedicated server software from the website separated and tried all that again. Even tried to log into my router to make sure port forwarded was on, making sure all the IP addresses and port numbers where right... and still nothing. I can't even get a dedicated server up to see if it will work as a work around...

I am using Vanilla Terraria... No mods...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom