A bias Calamity Mod Review.

This is really interesting, seeing how this is your first terraria mod. I started my first calamity playthrough a few months ago, and have made it to mid hardmode. I will probably keep track of the entire review

Yeah seems he went back to Skyrim, consider that he judged Calamity as the "champion of modding" and from what we've told him, has made the connection that Terraria mods don't get much better than this.

Sad, but alas

Yeah seems he went back to Skyrim, consider that he judged Calamity as the "champion of modding" and from what we've told him, has made the connection that Terraria mods don't get much better than this.

Sad, but alas
Its fine in my book. Preferences exist and modded Terraria is most likely not for him. If this is the case, I at least commend him for trying.

...from what we've told him, has made the connection that Terraria mods don't get much better than this.
What's really surprising is how far off that statement is. As good as Calamity is, there's a lot of mods out there that are much, much higher quality in terms of even content alone. It's surprising that a mod like Calamity is at the top, considering how generic it actually is when you look at the bigger picture.

Anyway, some good examples of good mods (from what I've seen) are Split, Polarities, Thorium, Fargo's Mutant and Soul Mod (Soul Mod should always be used with Mutant Mod, though Soul Mod adds a new really hard mode; even harder than Master Mode, which adds new AI, items, bosses, debuffs, etc.), Spirit, and Mod of Redemption.

Note that I haven't tried out any of these mods (aside from Mutant Mod, which is a great QoL mod to use with other mods) and Polarities (currently in Pre-Hardmode).

What's really surprising is how far off that statement is. As good as Calamity is, there's a lot of mods out there that are much, much higher quality in terms of even content alone. It's surprising that a mod like Calamity is at the top, considering how generic it actually is when you look at the bigger picture.

Anyway, some good examples of good mods (from what I've seen) are Split, Polarities, Thorium, Fargo's Mutant and Soul Mod (Soul Mod should always be used with Mutant Mod, though Soul Mod adds a new really hard mode; even harder than Master Mode, which adds new AI, items, bosses, debuffs, etc.), Spirit, and Mod of Redemption.

Note that I haven't tried out any of these mods (aside from Mutant Mod, which is a great QoL mod to use with other mods) and Polarities (currently in Pre-Hardmode).
Since this sounds like a Shill, I'm going to shill a bit myself: SGAmod, no one talks about my mod despite doing stuff even all those mentioned are not doing. (I had functional dimensions before Polarities do I not count?)

Anywho, that aside, the list is EVEN LARGER than that, that's the just the most well known/trending mods, there are SO many hidden gems out there that can bust Calamity's Vanilla edited AI out the window, and I mean stuff that's released that you can download right now, not "promised, WIP, or coming at a later date".

I especially like the creative shown by Chinese modders in this game, they are not held back by the same standards that most Terrarians expect from modders these days, such as NEEDing good original spriteworks or ideas, they seem to make whatever they want to see in the game 1st and formost.

Well, I didn't go into Calamity Mod with any real expectations, aside from what I'd kept hearing other Terrarians say about it. Honestly, the strength of me reviewing these Mods rests solely on the consistent praise & word-of-mouth it received. Word-of-mouth is one of those types of praise that can rarely be faked, so I was really expected more than what I inevitably got.

Because of the praise, I wanted a very specific experience with the Mod & I did make sure to ask questions first before diving in. I wanted the "Calamity experience", which is the only reason I went all-in. I also wanted to test very specific things the Mod had to offer, such as, a better "Master Mode" & improved Boss A.I. Some things were certainly great, but the Rose Tented Glasses involved in Calamity's praises weren't hard to discern at all.
  • Are there a few aspects of Calamity that are good-enough to compare to Master Mode in Journeys End? "Of course..."
  • Is Calamity Mod a great example of the direction the Devs should've gone with Journey's End/ Master Mode? "H*ll no! That's a reach!"

Unfortunately no, I haven't. When deciding to buy Terraria, I ended up making a choice between the two games. Terraria was the closest to what I wanted in that genre, so it's the one I decided to go with. I do keep up with Minecraft from time to time & it was the Adventure Maps that nearly sold me. There was something about Terraria that felt special though, that I couldn't quite put my finger on at the time. 🤔🥤
Exploring the intricacies of the Calamity Mod with a keen eye for detail and expectation, this review sheds light on the nuanced experiences sought after by dedicated Terrarians. The quest for the Calamity experience unveils both praise and discernment, revealing insights akin to the precision of a 96 Well Plate Template.

Back
Top Bottom