A bias Calamity Mod Review.

You're playing in Death Mode, which I seriously do not recommend until you're familiar with the mod. My first (and current) playthrough is on Revengeance Mode, and from my knowledge is a lot more bearable then Death Mode. You can toggle off Death Mode with the 'Death' item, obtained by crafting nothing (yes, no ingredients are required) at a Demon/Crimson Altar.

In fact, you should probably start on plain old' Expert until you have more experience (unless you're like me and have more knowledge of the mod via ChippyGaming and the Calamity Wiki).

Thank me later.

^

yes,and message here when you need help! I think you are taking this a bit too mechanically. relax.
I think that's the point that Toxophilite is trying to make. He's being forced to play the game how the mod wants him to, instead of approaching it how he wants to, which I'm pretty sure is the entire point of a sandbox game?

I'm back, & this time I'd like to make an observation & not a critique... though, I see how it could be taken as a critique. Before I get to that observation, I'd just like to thank everyone for your advice & suggestions. Some of them were very helpful, others we're kinda amusing & I loved all of it. 😂🥤 That being the case, I'll update you all on my progress & then follow-up with my observation of Calamity Mod.

I took the advice to explore the underground Desert & it was kinda fun, very 1.3.5ish; gotta admit that I love the 1.4. Underground Desert much better but, this version is still pretty obnoxious too! I make my way down-town & because I have Grenades, it's not very hard to do here. I must say as well, that Crushing Debuff is pretty crazy with Minions, acting almost like if Cursed Flames & Ichor had a kid.

So anyhow, I died... I guess I was progressing a lil' too fast & got knocked off my platform by a Walter Bolt... 😏🤷‍♂️ I mean, I'm not even upset at this point. This is the second time I've been "surprise eradicated" by some weird, twisted monstrosity; it's to be expecting by now...

20210205052402_1a.jpg

I'm guessing this enemy is the one who drops the Stormjaw Minion? I couldn't really tell, because once I returned, I bombed the h*ll outta that place like I was a GD exterminator! I appreciate the recommendation to go here, but I think the synergy I have with the Desert Minion, Wolfram Saucer & Crushing Debuff is pretty effective. If I could just get my hands on a Summoning Potion, I'm likely gonna huff-it to Queen Bee & finally climb outta this progression deficit I'm in.

Don't get me wrong, the Stormjaw Staff is cool & everything, but I think I might've found my rhythm...

20210205053614_1a.jpg

Okay, so now for my own, personal observation. I don't think Calamity Mod is very inclusive. 🤔🥤 This isn't something I really though about much until my character started to feel a lil' too cool... like, too-cool-for-school-cool, & that's not Terraria... at all. Where are the Giant, Pretty Bows, Glitter & Rainbows? I almost feel like every new item I get, from here on out, is gonna seem like it came from some edgy, Saturday morning cartoon show, or dark anime.

One of my best experiences with co-op in Terraria was with my friend Cassi, her idea of strength & power was greatly different from my own. For her, it wasn't about looking-cool, but being fabulous & kicking a** while doing it. I guess what I'm saying is, some parts of Terraria's charm are hidden from you if you're not looking for them; here... I was looking for it, because I asked myself if Cassi would like Calamity Mod... she wouldn't.

One personal note I wanna make, not totally related, is that I don't really like how many options there are for accessories so early, with no visible manner of expanding it that I've encountered so far, kinda like how Master Mode provides one extra slot in 1.4.

You're playing in Death Mode, which I seriously do not recommend until you're familiar with the mod. My first (and current) playthrough is on Revengeance Mode, and from my knowledge is a lot more bearable then Death Mode. You can toggle off Death Mode with the 'Death' item, obtained by crafting nothing (yes, no ingredients are required) at a Demon/Crimson Altar.
When you can actually fight back, this Mod feels really good to play, I think it's the player-to-power-pacing I don't like, not the difficulty of the enemies. Swarming enemies can be fun, but... what's the countermeasure? Tanky enemies are cool & all, but where's the Armor Piercing? I know all of these answers now, but the execution to those answers is still pretty sloppy.

This Mod is feeling more like a puzzle game & less like a sandbox. If that's what it actually is, I feel like it's the Mods responsibility to say that. You can't just drop a puzzle game into a sandbox & expect every person who wants to try solving it, to understand that you've change the rules. Now that I understand what I'm playing, I want to try & solve the actual puzzle now, in my own way at that.

In fact, you should probably start on plain old' Expert until you have more experience (unless you're like me and have more knowledge of the mod via ChippyGaming and the Calamity Wiki).

Thank me later.
At this point, I'm pretty numb to the punishment. 😏🤷‍♂️ This is about bragging rights now & possibly creating a new meta. I'm already invested & have come up with my own ways to enjoy the Mod, regardless of the "fun police". We're in-too-deep now, there's no turning back!

Also, I think I know why your summons were doing so little damage. Calamity has this mechanic to try to encourage you to do pure summoner: if you have a minion active, and are currently holding a summon weapon, your minion gets its attack boosted, but if you hold a non-summon weapon, your minions get their damage reduced. Were you using summons and other weapons? It might be that, or Calamity itself that's the problem. :)

Also, I think I know why your summons were doing so little damage. Calamity has this mechanic to try to encourage you to do pure summoner: if you have a minion active, and are currently holding a summon weapon, your minion gets its attack boosted, but if you hold a non-summon weapon, your minions get their damage reduced. Were you using summons and other weapons? It might be that, or Calamity itself that's the problem. :)
lets not forgot the forced 10 second cooldown on Rod of Discord

I am very interested in seeing this review and seeing what you think of the mod. Having a outside perspective from someone who had never seen the mod before is nice and gives some of the best insights and criticism for a mod, as not everyone will be playing with a blindfold off. Honestly, from what I've seen and played, the bosses and music are its biggest strength, and its balancing can be... not the best. I will say, do get boss checklist so you can see boss progression, as knowing what bosses to tackle next really does help progression. Do note there is a Calamity wiki if you are completely confused about something, or trying to figure out how to do something. Its fully up to date to my knowledge, and its quality is onpar with the Terraria Wiki

At this point, I'm pretty numb to the punishment. 😏🤷‍♂️ This is about bragging rights now & possibly creating a new meta. I'm already invested & have come up with my own ways to enjoy the Mod, regardless of the "fun police". We're in-too-deep now, there's no turning back!
Your funeral.

This is actually all good news for a change. I'm at the point in the Mod where I'm actually having fun, believe it or not! I took down two Bosses so far, including the Calamity EoC & I guess that I should probably start there. 😁🥤 First I'd like to point out the changes to A.I. & the small twist at the end where the Boss is about to die, that reeeally threw me for a loop! If this is one of the changes players felt should've existed in Master Mode, or something similar, I agree!

20210207162903_1a.jpg

To be honest, the only reason I won this fight is because of my Minion's Poison attack (Belladonna??), Summoning Potions (x3 Minions) & the Crushing Debuff I fished up from the Sulfuric Sea; the Boss killed me first & then died a few seconds afterward. I'm sure I don't need to mention how much easier the fight is the second & third time around, due to a "certain drop" but, it was a pretty intense fight, I see why many of you like it. I didn't originally build this area (shown above) for EoC, but since I'd gotten a free Suspicious-looking Eye item, I figured... why not!? 😏🤷‍♂️

As of now, I'm just roaming around the Calamity-Jungle. It's kinda fun having a sniper contest with the Hornets, but I don't recall this part of progression ever being all-that-enjoyable. Being able to sneak-attack annoying enemies like these really helps make engagements feel more satisfying. Not sure how much the Calamity Mod messed around with the Underground Jungle, but it feels pretty much the same... with Hornets being tanky, annoying Snipers & Spiked Jungles Slimes being tanky, annoying Snipers with machine guns...

20210207143202_1a.jpg

...another thing I wanna add, defeating Bosses in the Mod really opens things up! 😳🥤 I actually though I'd might've gone overboard with the amount of empty shoebox houses I built, but after EoC went down, these new NPCs packed that place like Yankee Stadium! I even had an NPC move in to my temporary Jungle Base, because I'd run outta rooms... & now, I have a convenient place to sale my Junk. So yeah, access to easy Summoner's Potions is a relief. I thought I'd have to grind for 'em like usual, but... nope! I'm already seeing some Journey Mode features I liked from 1.4.

So, with this new dodge item I have, I suspect that Queen Bee is gonna be a breeze... or is she!? 😏🤷‍♂️ [🎵 DUN DUN DUUUUN!!]

Your funeral.
I mean... is it really though?? 😏 🤷‍♂️

P.S. Goblin Army got REKT!

Last edited:
Hey! Nice to see this thread active again!
I took down two Bosses so far
I'm assuming the other boss was either King Slime or The Desert Scourage.

Also, now that Eye of Cthulhu is defeated, you have the Alchemist Charm. Keep it, you can upgrade it 3 times in your playthrough. You can get Tier 2 after defeating EoW/BoC, Tier 3 at the start of Hardmode, before Mechs and Tier 4 at Moonlord level. Speaking of potions...

THE BREWER AND THE ALCHEMIST NPCS!!!
*Angel Choir*

These NPCs? They're the meta. They can move in now that EoC has been defeated. You thought the Architect was convenient? You haven't seen anything yet. The Brewer sells buff potions, and the Alchemist sells common potion ingredients, as well as health and Mana potions. They both severely cut down on the potion grind, and they will be lifesavers throughout the playthrough.

Hey! Nice to see this thread active again!

I'm assuming the other boss was either King Slime or The Desert Scourage.

Also, now that Eye of Cthulhu is defeated, you have the Alchemist Charm. Keep it, you can upgrade it 3 times in your playthrough. You can get Tier 2 after defeating EoW/BoC, Tier 3 at the start of Hardmode, before Mechs and Tier 4 at Moonlord level. Speaking of potions...

THE BREWER AND THE ALCHEMIST NPCS!!!
*Angel Choir*

These NPCs? They're the meta. They can move in now that EoC has been defeated. You thought the Architect was convenient? You haven't seen anything yet. The Brewer sells buff potions, and the Alchemist sells common potion ingredients, as well as health and Mana potions. They both severely cut down on the potion grind, and they will be lifesavers throughout the playthrough.
they are sooooooooooo convineint,I canoot begin about how stupidly convieninet it is
did I mention how convineinet it is?

Wait, weren't you the one who graded Calamity a C on your tier list?
Yeah, I did.

But it doesn't change the fact that there the early game, for alot of mods is pretty *not very enjoyable*
Calamity in particular becomes infinitely more fun after the first boss... if you can beat the first boss.

Back
Top Bottom