A bias Calamity Mod Review.

Yeah life is annoying. Also, how do I make a spoiler for my signature?
Click on your name in the top right of the page, and click "Signature".

1615343547761.png

Dude, please download boss checklist. it tells you what you need to get to summon the bosses, and it might make the game a bit easier on you. I’ve played a lot of modded terraria, and it admittedly is a very different experience. I would recommend staying out of areas where you frequently get killed. I play on Normal (casual gamer even though I have over 1000 hours in this game) and I don’t die that often unless i’m going somewhere hard or fighting a boss. Also I’ve got tons of big addon mods (similar to calamity) and few quality of life mods as well.

also 64 bit tmod might be a thing you want to check out if you start having memory problems

Dude, please download boss checklist. it tells you what you need to get to summon the bosses, and it might make the game a bit easier on you. I’ve played a lot of modded terraria, and it admittedly is a very different experience. I would recommend staying out of areas where you frequently get killed. I play on Normal (casual gamer even though I have over 1000 hours in this game) and I don’t die that often unless i’m going somewhere hard or fighting a boss. Also I’ve got tons of big addon mods (similar to calamity) and few quality of life mods as well.

also 64 bit tmod might be a thing you want to check out if you start having memory problems
Seeing as how I plan to start/ continue reviewing the Mod again (hopefully sooner than later... 😅💁‍♂️), I figured I'd at least address this suggestion. When it comes to certain games, not all, but some, I find the experience to be much more rewarding when I discover things on my own, or am able to form my own opinion(s) about something in an organic fashion.

This is normally why in most communities I've ever participated in, especially having to do with videogames, my opinions are oftentimes "wildly different" than most. This isn't to suggest some kind of superiority in perspective, or anything shallow like that, only to suggest that I come from a time where... there were no such thing as Wikis, YouTube or dedicated forums (except maybe GameFAQs). If you wanted to find something in a game, you had to do it on your own.

I certainly appreciate what technology & other forms of guide have done for gamers as a whole, but... I do still feel that some very valuable things were lost in transition, that should be preserved if at-all-possible. This is why a Mod like Boss Checklist, would certainly be helpful, since you suggested it, but it will certainly be a cost associated with it's addition; one that I'm currently not willing to pay (for now, at least). 🤔🥤

Aside from everything else, the placebo-high that I was feeling, discovering the Crushing Debuff on-my-own, through stubbornness alone, though I'm fairly certain it's a common go-to-strat, was priceless. It was all of the lil' missteps & the not-knowing, the eventually lead to me somewhat enjoying the Mod, even with all of it's flaws. Somehow I have this itching feeling that the experience wouldn't have been quite the same; had someone else spoon-fed me the scoop on a YouTube video.

When it comes to certain games, not all, but some, I find the experience to be much more rewarding when I discover things on my own, or am able to form my own opinion(s) about something in an organic fashion.
This

This is why I’m hesitant on getting into calamity. I enjoy finding out things on my own, I don’t like to go on the internet for it to tell me what to do. From what I’ve heard from a couple of friends, it appears to be almost a necessity to have a guide to tell me what to do next. I don’t like that. I want to learn on my own even if it’ll be harder.

I understand where you‘re coming from, and I may find it more useful because I use tons of calamity sized mods, but keep in mind you may miss certain things in progression without it. From what I gathered from the thread, I don’t know if you fought the Desert Scourge. You might’ve, and I just missed it, but even still you can occasionally jump ahead and fight a boss you aren’t supposed to. Then it can get more frustrating, and make the mod less fun. Also, Pre-hard mode is pretty boring in most mods, and it really starts to ramp up in hardmode and post ML.
Also, here‘s some mods that i would personally recommend.
Thorium. If you haven‘t tried it already, give it a try after your done with calamity, or disable calamity and generate a new world with Thorium enabled. Thorium is considered one of the golden standards of mods, and isn’t as big as Calamity.
Spirit. Similar to Thorium.
Qwerty’s Random Content. This mod is kinda simaler to the ones I mentioned, but it has more innovative boss fights in my opinion.
Sacred tools/Shadows of Abbadon. Yet another good add on mod.
Ancients Awakened. A great add on mod like calamity in structure, but still different.
I’ve got plenty more, and I could probably throw a whole screenshot of my mods list in here and say “Hey, these are good mods you should try”
oh yeah and I play most of these mods and more together and it is both terribly and beautifully balanced
and if you ever decide you want to run tons of mods, 64 bit tmod is super helpful, because it gets rid of the 800~ KB memory limit and inceases it to mirror your total RAM
so yeah
welcome to modded terraria
Also, have you played Zelda Breath of the Wild? Because that game encourages stuff like exploring and finding your own ways to do things.
Oh yeah, figured I’d say something that might help you with the mod, but if you’d rather not get the spoilers, ignore this! (It dosen’t spoil too much, but it may help you if you’re having trouble.)
in the sky there are some planetoids that have heart crystals.

Last edited:
Also, have you played Zelda Breath of the Wild? Because that game encourages stuff like exploring and finding your own ways to do things.
Oh yeah, figured I’d say something that might help you with the mod, but if you’d rather not get the spoilers, ignore this! (It dosen’t spoil too much, but it may help you if you’re having trouble.)
in the sky there are some planetoids that have heart crystals.
No, but it's certainly on my to-do list! 😅💁‍♂️

The type of gamer I am, has lead me to miss a rather large portion of recommended classics; typically because the games I gravitate toward, tend to have extremely high replay value. I oftentimes find myself playing a game for years-on-end, while my friends and family are always moving on to the next popular title.

Here's an example of the list of games I was still playing in early 2001+, while games like GTA3 and FFX were super popular.
  1. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
  2. Tekken 2, Tekken Tag Tournament.
  3. Dead or Alive
  4. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
I eventually caught up to most, but I missed some classic games such as, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night along the way. I guess one of the biggest reasons I missed so much, in the past, is that I was a fighting game fanatic and for the most part, fighting games tend to have a rather enormous shelf-life... there's still gamers who play MvC 2 and Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (Vampire Savior Series), til' this day.

I've been meaning to play a LOT of games, but they keep piling up... I don't think I'll ever be able to play them all. 😅💁‍♂️

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to make time to sit down & play some Terraria, but... I finally made it happen! 😆🥤

The biggest issue, especially where I live, is that the government can't seem to make up it's mind, about whether or not things should open back up, so while I'm here getting ready for summer & possibly jumping back into the workforce, I'm also making sure to help others when & wherever I can. Aside from alladat, this one is rather uneventful.
20210321125350_1a.jpg

Though nothing of importance happened here, I did answer two important questions I'd been concerned about for quite a while... even if I'm just starting back up again.
  1. Will my Belladona Minion trigger Queen Bee with her pollen attack? "Nope!"
  2. Do I also have to worry about her accidently destroying the larvae via contact damage? "Nope again!"
That was quite a relief, because the entire time, I had my fingers on the "Magic Mirror" trigger, waiting on things to go awry. Anyhow, since it's obvious I'm currently in the jungle exploring, I might as well talk about my experience here so far, while I'm at it. Funnily enough, it feels extremely similar to Master Mode Jungle 1.4.0; with all of the newer drops added, just being something else instead.

The effort it takes to kill the enemies, the annoyance of being swarmed by "snipers", it's still all here. The only minor things I'd say that I miss would be the Bestiary, having a Mount & the Biome Torches. The Jungle is a part of the game that has always been slow-going for me, plus, I refuse to be in this place without Summoner's Potions so... I might be here a while, but only if Queen Bee gives me any trouble.
20210321125739_1a.jpg
20210321132344_1a.jpg

But yeah, I'm just doing the typical treasure hunting... seeing if there's anything new added. I know that I've already made the assumption that this is likely a crafting Mod, I'm just gonna continue to play in a manner that'll allow the Mod to surprise me, though I'm not expecting it to at this point.

Side Note: I found two Life Crystals, so... there's that? 😏🤷‍♂️
20210321132045_1a.jpg

When I first began this review, I was actually comparing 1.4.0 & 1.4.0.2, to the Calamity Mod directly, seeing as how many unhappy Terrarians were using Mods like Calamity, as a measuring stick for what 1.4 Journey's End should've been. However, with the recent release of 1.4.2 & 1.4.2.1, I kinda feel like that's a bit unfair now. No matter how dissatisfied someone might be about the features in 1.4 (or lack thereof), I feel it's objectively dishonest to say that any Mod, namely Calamity Mod, is anywhere close in quality, caliber or "fun-factor" to 1.4.2+.

That being the case, I'll simply have to critique the Mod as a standalone project, totally separate of Journey's End. It's safe to assume, that we can all agree... that these two versions of the game are in two separate Solar Systems.

Side Note:
  • I've also been messing around with many features I'd overlooked in 1.4, such as "Potions of Return".
  • I've been listening to a good number of custom music tracks in the Resource Packs but, Otherworld still beats them all. 🤷‍♂️ 🥤
  • Honestly, the more I use Texture Packs, the harder I'm likely gonna be on older Mods, so... this' gonna be interesting...
20210402115444_1a.jpg

I enjoy most mods mainly because I enjoy combat and crafting, but if you are not a major fan of those things, quite a few mods can get tiring. However, I definitely wouldn't recommend playing on Death Mode for a person who's relatively new to Calamity. I would suggest playing on plain expert mode or normal, and that may lessen the difficulty and open up more options for exploration. I mainly play on Normal, and with a large pack of mods that includes Calamity, and so exploring is a bit more rewarded and easier to do. Also I haven't played much of 1.4, so I guess I'm biased in the opposite way you are. Also, by any chance do you play Minecraft? I know it's kind of unrelated, however if you play modded minecraft the mods are a lot more varied. And generally, minecraft is a lot more exploration based.

Back
Top Bottom