Game Mechanics A Bunch of Journey Mode QoL Suggestions

Mihn

Empress of Light
Over the past 2 days I have been playing exclusively in Journey Mode. While I think it's pretty decent, there are a bunch of minor annoyances that I would like to see changed.

1. Duplication
- Clicking an item or outside of the name search box should revert keyboard controls back into regular movement instead of keeping focus on the search box. Many times I have searched something like "shortswaaaaaaa" trying to move left while the box is still open.
- A button to clear the search box without needing to click it and holding Backspace.
- Closing the inventory while selecting a tab should deselect that tab the next time you open Duplication.
- Speaking of tabs, subtabs. Blocks is divided into actual block and walls, weapons into its damage type, armor into head/body/leg, consumables into buffs and other stuff, etc.
- An option to display a list of item researched but not fully researched yet to see how many left do you need and what you need to find.

2. Research
Currently in order to research you will have to click an item and put it into the research box, then press research. That is a tad bit too many steps and will become grating when you have to research a bunch of items at once. I know Shift Click is a thing but you still need to hover your mouse down there and press research.
Suggestion: In addition to the drag-n-drop, have a button that turns the cursor into a research cursor (similar to how holding Ctrl turns your cursor into Trash and Alt to Favorite). Clicking any non-fully-researched item will while the research cursor is active will immediately research the item for duplication.
Or make all item researched when trashed if it isn't fully researched. Or make Ctrl Click research instead of trashing white the Research window is opened.

3. Weather/Time
Add in the option to change Moon Phases. You can already sorta do this by constantly swapping time between Day and Night, so it would be nice to have a more convenient option.

4. Bestiary
Not strictly Journey Mode but similar problems.
- Add a button to clear search and remove all filters.
- Make it so that when a monster's entry is fully unlocked in Journey Mode, you can spawn them into the world at will, provided you fulfill every other spawn condition (Hell for WoF, etc)

5. Treasure Bag
All treasure bag all share the same name and description which is annoying to search for because you have to took a moment to analyze what are you looking for in a bunch of bags.
Suggestion: If the intention was for the treasure bag to have the same name, so be it, but add a line in the description that says "Dropped by [boss name]" in order to make searching easier.

6. Red Potion
Technically not a QoL like the others, but now that Red Potion can be obtained legitimately through the 2 secret world seeds, it would be nice if we can research them especially it now have a beneficial effect in one of the seed.

That's all so far. Might need to add more when I go further. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I second the "Research" QoL, I even made a macro to auto click that, there are more than 10k items in the game, imagine clicking 10 thousand times (implying you will fully research the item in one go, if not, its at least 2k more clicks)

2. Research
Currently in order to research you will have to click an item and put it into the research box, then press research. That is a tad bit too many steps and will become grating when you have to research a bunch of items at once. I know Shift Click is a thing but you still need to hover your mouse down there and press research.
Suggestion: In addition to the drag-n-drop, have a button that turns the cursor into a research cursor (similar to how holding Ctrl turns your cursor into Trash and Alt to Favorite). Clicking any non-fully-researched item will while the research cursor is active will immediately research the item for duplication.
Or make all item researched when trashed if it isn't fully researched. Or make Ctrl Click research instead of trashing white the Research window is opened.

To add to that, automatically research items that are crafted. It's really annoying having to craft an item, open the powers menu, go to the research tab, put the item in, research it, go to the duplication tab, and duplicate it (because why wouldn't you want to research what you craft, but you also need to have it). Also, display how many items are needed for research in the crafting menu (similar to how it's displayed in the inventory), so you don't have to go between that and the duplication menu to figure out what you still need.

Also:

A bunch of items that are available to duplicate don't show up in any of the tabs.
There needs to be a vanity tab and a furniture tab.
There needs to be a way to see what items you are missing from the duplication menu so you can make sure to get literally everything (I'm very much a collector type when it comes to games, and I wanna start building too now JM is a thing, but I wanna make sure I have everything first).
You should be able to shift click on items in the duplication menu so you can select the exact number you want to duplicate, a full stack or just one then having to hold the mouse button down and guess when the right time to let go is tedious and results in a lot of faffing about.
The Goblin Tinkerer should sell Upgrade Plans that tell you what accessories can be made from grouping other accessories together, highlighting items you are currently missing.
Spawning NPCs and Critters should have a slider separate from the spawning enemies slider.

something like "shortswaaaaaaa" trying to move left while the box is still open.
That amount of times that's happened to me :dryadcry:

Also all of these ideas would be great additions. I also feel that the duplication menu should show partially researched items in another tab, so you can keep track of what you've done.

Last edited:
1. Duplication
- Clicking an item or outside of the name search box should revert keyboard controls back into regular movement instead of keeping focus on the search box. Many times I have searched something like "shortswaaaaaaa" trying to move left while the box is still open.
- A button to clear the search box without needing to click it and holding Backspace.

4. Bestiary
- Add a button to clear search and remove all filters.

Totaly agree about the search focus and a way to clear it.

To add to that, automatically research items that are crafted. It's really annoying having to craft an item, open the powers menu, go to the research tab, put the item in, research it, go to the duplication tab, and duplicate it (because why wouldn't you want to research what you craft, but you also need to have it). Also, display how many items are needed for research in the crafting menu (similar to how it's displayed in the inventory), so you don't have to go between that and the duplication menu to figure out what you still need.
The automatic craft research would be great, but I guess it is a bit too much. A way to research more easily would be sufficient, as described by Mihn's research suggestion.
But totaly agree with the 2nd part with the left to research line to be displayed in the crafting item tooltip as it is really painful to know if it has already been research or not.

The automatic craft research would be great, but I guess it is a bit too much.

Why? Having to do it manually adds nothing to the game but tedium, all it is is grinding a menu. Especially for items that only need one to research, you have no reason not to research them the moment you make them other than not wanting to bother. Annoyance and tedium are not valid gameplay balancing mechanics.

Edited in the Red Potion part because I don't think it deserves a new thread. Bumping thread is still very valid if it's not random necroing right?

All great suggestions. I'd also suggest the ability to "favorite" items in the duplication menu for easy access. It's easy to scroll past the item you're looking for, especially if you don't remember the item's name and thus can't search for it. By "favoriting" whatever items you commonly duplicate, things become much less of a hassle.

PLEASE, all this suggestions are so great, specially the one about clearing up the search bar with a button, or even CTRL+Backspace so I'm able to erase whole words.
Also, I like that "favorite" category for items, or even allow me to make my own categories for when I'm building something special but I don't want to clutter my favorites.

Why? Having to do it manually adds nothing to the game but tedium, all it is is grinding a menu. Especially for items that only need one to research, you have no reason not to research them the moment you make them other than not wanting to bother. Annoyance and tedium are not valid gameplay balancing mechanics.
You may have not research the materials for the recipe.
I agree it adds just time and this time could be saved, if you research every materials. But you may have not research the material, or even not yet the required quantity of material items to unlock its duplication, so an automatic research of the craft is not so obvious for balance reason I guess. The same for items requiring more than 1 to unlock its duplication.
May be, a more fair mean to do so would be that for each crafted item, it counts as a research for the same crafted quantity. For example, by crafting 4 wood wall, it researchs up to 4 and there is 396 left to research for the duplication.

About the search input, I found that pressing "enter" key removes the focus. It does not help for clearing the search field, but at least we can use keyboard for moving.

IIRC, one of the big selling points of Journey mode was that it let you play the way you want - they specifically pointed out that people could use these features as much or as little as they wanted. Some people will only want to use duplication for structure building materials, and collect weapons, armor and other stuff the old-fashioned way. Some people will want to avoid researching certain recipes, because they know that if they do, the temptation to use them will be too great. Some people will probably just prefer the way it feels to unlock everything manually.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, by any means. I'm more suggesting that, if implemented, it should be a toggleable option, rather than a mandatory feature. In fact, there's a mod for 1.3.5 that reproduces the functionality of research and duplication, and that's how it does it - with an option in the configs to determine if the possible recipes are also automatically researched.

I wish there was a way to see what items you don't have researched too... Because I'm a completionist and it can be difficult trying to figure out what I don't have. Even a simple thing like you have researched 1000/(how many items you can research) so far or something along the lines of that would be nice.

A way to toogle jurney mode on and of in non jurney worlds and the ability to join jurney worlds with any character.
Dedicated players have worlds with hundreds of hours of playtime in it. Sometimes, we just want to build without gathering ressources all the time or the need to trash our world and character and start completely from scratch. It is also very annoying that you can't play together with your friends on a world if some have jurney mode worlds/characters and some not.

I suggest an item (e.g Jurneys atlas/globe) you can get or craft with end game ressources to reward players for beating the game. It allows toggeling jurney mode on/off in any world. The list of reasearched items could be stored in the characters file so that a specific player can craft already reaserched items in any journey world without having to start from scratch with the same charaacter if he visits another world.
In Multiplayer, only the host can toggle jurney mode on and off / can be enabled or disabled in server config to prevent abusing.
Or a simple checkbox in the settings would be perfectly fine too. But please remove the exclusivity of jurney mode to worlds and characters.

How it works now is just a bit dissapointing since dedicated and long lived players don't really have anything from it. And new players are mostly just interested in the lower difficulty, if interested at all.

Journey mode definitely needs more duplication tabs
I can already think of a few:
- Tools (pickaxes, axes, hammers, wiring, block-placing wands, painting tools, etc...)
- Equipment (pets, light pets, minecarts, mounts, hooks)
- Vanity (all vanity items, and separate them from the armor tab, can include fun items like water/slime guns)
- Furniture (currently all placable items are in the blocks tab, and furniture clutter that tab quite a bit)
- Crafting stations (there are quite a few if you are a builder)
- Favourites (duplicated items that you favourited using alt + click)
- Unresearched items (so you could see what items you didn't research/research completely yet, really helpful for people who just want to fill the whole thing up, like me)

In the end, *all* items should be in at least one category, and currently I see a lot of them that are not (looking at you, pets and mounts)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom