• Journey's End on PC - Find info here and here. Please report bugs and issues for PC 1.4 and 1.4.1 to Re-Logic here.
  • Journey's End on Mobile - Find info here. Report bugs for Mobile 1.4 to DR Studios at this link and give as much detail as possible.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Console and Switch - The latest news can be found here. To report a bug, please use this link.

A comprehensive tier list of every Hardmode Armor in the game.

J Bame

Terrarian
Guide Category
Weapon/Gear Use
While Pre Hardmode's armor progression is nothing special, Hardmode opens up a lot of variety in armor sets, with some being more viable than others due to their special set bonuses, or the raw stats they provide. This guide will cover every armor available and rank them based on their viability.

The Different ranks are:

S Rank: Overshadows everything else available, this armor is overpowered or extremely strong.
A Rank: Solid, but not broken. This armor will always perform very well in any situation you use it in.
B Rank: Not exactly bad, but there is something better available.
C Rank: Mediocre, there is definitely another armor you should be wearing instead.
F Rank: Completely useless. There is never a reason to consider getting this.

Note that Hybrid Sets made from the combination of different armor segments exist and are usually better than the full armor sets. This guide won't cover these hybrid builds, but if an armor has a particularly good piece for mixing it will have a "#" next to its rank and a brief description of why the specific piece is used.

It should be obvious that each armor will be ranked relative to other sets in its current stage of progression. There is also no way you will agree with my full list, so you are perfectly free to criticize the hell out of it if you disagree with me.

Pre-Mechanical Boss

1592329192020.png

Pearlwood Armor

Stats:
+8 Defense

Rank: F

Well, duh.

1592329246205.png

Cobalt Armor

Stats:
+28 Defense, +15% Melee damage, +5% Crit chance, +15% Melee speed, +17% Movement Speed (Melee)
+20 Defense, +15% Ranged damage, +13% Ranged Crit Chance, +10% Movement Speed, +20% chance not to consume ammo (Ranged)
+18 Defense, +13% Magic Damage +14% Magic Crit chance, +40 Max Mana, -14% Mana usage, +10% Movement Speed (Magic)
Rank: F

Only slightly better than late Pre-Hardmode armors, and noticeably worse than every other armor available in Hardmode, even Palladium.

Its availability is the only thing going for it, although the time spent mining enough Cobalt for this is almost always better spent getting something else. This is essentially the Hardmode equivalent of Copper Armor.


1592329431544.png

Palladium Armor

Stats:
+21 Defense, +14% Magic Damage, +12% Magic Crit Chance, +60 Max Mana (Magic)
+23 Defense, +14% Ranged damage, +12% Ranged Crit Chance (Ranged)
+32 Defense, +17% Melee damage, +3% Melee Crit chance, +12% Melee speed (Melee)
Set bonus: Gain Rapid Healing (+2 HP/sec) for five seconds after hitting an enemy.
Rank: B

Lacking in terms of stats, but a very efficient set bonus for survivability, even after its nerf. Being as easy to obtain as Cobalt armor, this can be the only armor you'd need to bother with to beat the Mechs.

1592330305210.png

Mythril Armor

Stats:
+24 Defense, +22% Magic Damage, +10% Magic Crit Chance, +60 Max Mana -17% Mana usage (Magic)
+37 Defense, +17% Melee damage, +28% Melee Crit chance (Melee)
+27 Defense, +19% Ranged damage, +17% Ranged Crit Chance, 20% chance not to consume ammo (Ranged)
Rank: A*/C#

For a melee armor, this is a rather interesting sidegrade for Adamantite that sacrifices defense and secondary stats for all-out DPS. For the two other classes, though, this nothing more than the armor for those that can't be bothered to look for the Tier 3 ores and who were unlucky to also get Cobalt in their world.

Those Mythril Greaves have quite a lot of extra crit chance for hybrid builds; more so than any other armor in this tier.

Orichalcum_armor.png

Orichalcum Armor

Stats:
+27 Defense, +24% Magic Crit Chance, +80 Max Mana +11% Movement Speed (Magic)
+30 Defense, +21% Ranged Crit Chance, +19% Movement Speed (Ranged)
+42 Defense, +11% Melee damage, +6% Crit chance, +11% Melee Speed, +18% Movement Speed (Melee)
Set Bonus: After hitting an enemy, a piercing petal with 30 base damage appears attacks from the edge of the screen.
Rank: A

A rather underrated armor set. Easy to obtain, and while its stats are rather poor they are mostly compensated by its set bonus which grants a flat 108 DPS in the form of a piercing, wall penetrating projectile. One of the best armors to use underground, although its DPS against single targets is slightly below average.


1592331154581.png

Adamantite Armor
Stats:
+32 Defense, +20% Magic Damage, +19% Magic Crit Chance, +80 Max Mana, -19% Mana usage, +5% Movement speed (Magic)
+36 Defense, +22% Ranged damage, +17% Ranged Crit Chance, 25% chance not to consume ammo, +5% Movement speed (Ranged)
+50 Defense, +22% Melee damage, +14% Melee Crit chance, +20% Melee Speed, +25% Movement speed (Melee)
Rank: A/B*

Not a lot to talk about here, this armor doesn't have much to offer besides stats. But they are pretty good stats, except for the Ranged set which is quite lacking in comparison.

All three of its set bonuses are nothing more than secondary stats, so I'd highly recommend you to hybridize with this armor if you don't care about those.

1592331229596.png

Titanium Armor
Stats:
+34 Defense, +21% Ranged Damage, +13% Ranged Crit Chance, +6% Movement Speed (Ranged)
+49 Defense, +16% Melee Damage, +15% Crit Chance, +9% Melee Speed, +6% Movement Speed (Melee)
+30 Defense, +23% Magic Damage, +13% Magic Crit Chance, +100 Max Mana, +6% Movement Speed (Magic)
Set Bonus: Hitting enemies creates Crystal Shards that damage enemies (base damage 50, up to 7 at the time)
Rank: A

High stats (only slightly below Adamantite) with a powerful set bonus. The Titanium Barrier requires clever use of Shield of Cthulhu's invincibility and it can't be used effectively against many ranged enemies, but when it shines it adds a very noticeable amount of extra DPS in a fight.

Since all weapons summon shards at the same rate and with the same damage, you should always use this with weapons that can hit rapidly.

Special mention to its synergy with Fetid Baghnakhs, which allows you to experience a less extreme version of how ridiculously busted they used to be back in 1.3.

1592332451725.png

Frost Armor
Stats:
+43 Defense, +26% Melee and Ranged Damage, +11% Melee and Ranged Crit Chance, +10% Melee Speed, +8% Movement Speed
Set bonus: Melee and Ranged attacks inflict Frostbite (25 Damage over time)
Rank: A

As a Ranged armor, this is quite an improvement over Adamantite, boasting higher stats and a much more impactful set bonus.

As a Melee armor it is more of a sidegrade to Adamantite: one has better stats, the other has a Flat DPS set bonus that also allows you to camp better underground.

The Frost Chestplate (20 defense, +11% Melee and Ranged Crit) makes for some very strong hybrid armors at this stage in the game.

1592332465647.png

Forbidden Armor
Stats:
+26 Defense, +25% Magic and Minion damage, +80 Max Mana, +2 Minion slots.
Set bonus: Double tapping down Summons an Ancient at the Cursor's location, with 20 base Minion and Magic damage (Meaning it benefits from buffs to both)
Rank: S#

Out of all the "double class" armors, this one does a perfect job of incentivizing the player to use both of the supported classes. Its stats are very disappointing for either class (better than Cobalt tho), but when both minions are magic weapons are combined it becomes extremely strong.

This is on top of one of the best set bonuses in the game: a third Nimbus Rod cloud, but wider, stronger, and very easy to reposition. Not to mention that it benefits from buffs to both minion and magic damage.

Finally, the Forbidden Treads give +1 minion slot and solid magic stats, making it a very strong choice for hybrid sets, and Forbidden Robes are not half-bad when combined with the Adamantite Headgear.

Spider Armor
1603545462566.png

Stats:
+20 Defense, +3 Minion slots, +30% Minion damage
Rank: A

Best and only pure Summoner armor of the tier. The equivalent of Adamantite Armor for a Summoner.

1592332699327.png

Crystal Assassin Armor
Stats:
+36 Defense, +15% crit chance, +15% damage, +10% melee speed and chance not to consume ammo, -10% reduced mana costs, +25% movement speed.
Set Bonus: Ability to Dash.
Rank: S

This armor requires you to understand it properly to get the most value out of it.

Its stats may leave much to be desired at first sight, but they are compensated by its set bonus, which frees up an accessory slot that would normally be taken by a Shield of Cthulhu.

However that is only half the strength of this armor, the other comes from its universal damage boosts, which means that any class using this armor will benefit significantly more from Minions and support magic weapons such as Nimbus Rod, Clinger Staff, and Life Drain. And of course, there is the freedom to use whatever main weapons you like without major losses in DPS.

Finally, it looks sick as a vanity set. This armor does it all.
Pre-Plantera

1592332968139.png

Hallowed Armor
Stats:
+50 Defense, +17% Melee Damage, +17% Melee Crit chance, +10% Melee Speed, +8% Movement Speed (Melee)
+35 Defense, +22% Ranged Damage, +15% Ranged Crit Chance, +8% Movement Speed (Ranged)
+31 Defense, +19% Magic Damage, +19% Magic Crit Chance, +100 Max Mana, +8% Movement Speed (Magic)
+27 Defense, +17% Minion Damage, +3 minion slots, +8% Movement Speed (Summoner)
Set Bonus: Grants Holy Protection (dodge the next attack) for 30 seconds after striking an enemy.
Rank: S

Ever since it was added Shadow Dodge has been an extremely powerful set bonus. Its ability to completely absorb damage was only comparable to few other defensive set bonuses, and those were almost always held back by below-average stats on their respective armors.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that when 1.4 moved it to Hallowed Armor, a set with much better stats than Titanium, it was settled as the best armor in the game. I can guarantee you that you won't need to bother with anything else once you craft this armor.

It's especially useful against the enraged Empress of Light, as it's the most consistent way to "tank" her hits.

Squire_armor.png

Squire Armor
Stats:
+54 Defense, +2 HP/sec, +15% Melee Damage, +30% Minion Damage, +15% Melee Crit chance, +2 Sentry Slots.
Set Bonus: Improves Ballista sentry's stats. You get the Ballista Panic! buff when hit, doubling Ballistas' attack speed for 5 seconds.
Rank: A

Even after getting its regeneration nerfed, Squire remains a very strong combination of both defense and offense for Melee, and its buffs to Minion damage and Sentry slots for Minions and the Queen Spider. While its set bonus is mediocre since the Ballista Rod is weaker than the Queen Spider, it will be very nice to have when fighting the third tier of Old One's Army.

It also comes with not one but two great pieces for hybrid armors: Squire's Great Helm with its regen and Squire's Greaves with 15% Melee crit chance and 15% Minion damage.

Monk_armor.png

Monk Armor
Stats:
+46 Defense, +20% Melee Damage, +30% Minion Damage, +15% Melee Crit chance, +2 Sentry Slots, +20% Melee Speed and Movement Speed.
Set Bonus: Lightning Auras attack faster and gain a set 25% Crit Chance.
Rank: B

I'm not too sure what was exactly the point of giving Melee two Tavernkeep sets, especially when one of them is worse than the other in every way. Compared to Squire armor, it's slightly better offensively but significantly worse defensively, leaving it vastly outclassed. Its Set Bonus is probably the most significant out of all the OOA sets, but Lightning Auras are still worse than the Queen Spider.

However, Monk's Shirt is the strongest Melee Chest piece in the game, with a massive 20% damage increase for all your hybridizing needs.

Apprentice_armor.png

Apprentice armor
Stats:
+32 defense, +20% Magic Damage, +30% Minion Damage, +2 Sentry slots, +20% Magic Crit chance, -10% Mana usage.
Set Bonus: Flameburst Sentries gain greatly increased range.

Rank: B#

The 3 sentry slots and 30% Minion damage are pretty great, but the rest of this armor is not. Those base stats are simply too low to be good, even after their 1.4.1 buff. Forbidden armor is a strictly better version of this set.

I don't know and I don't care about how much the Set Bonus improves Flameburst sentries because they are still worse than the Queen Spider and range is nothing significant when you use them again in Tier 3.

The Apprentice Leggings give 20% Magic Crit Chance, the second-highest of any leg slot in the game.

Huntress_armor.png

Huntress armor
Stats:
+36 defense, +20% Ranged Damage, +30% Minion Damage, +10% Ranged Crit chance and chance not to consume ammo, +2 extra sentry slots, +20% Movement Speed.
Set Bonus: Explosive Traps inflict the Oiled debuff, making enemies take 25 extra DoT from fire debuffs.
Rank: B#

Stat wise this is a weaker clone of Monk Armor for Ranged, so everything said about that armor applies to this as well.

On paper, its set bonus looks passable after its 1.4.1 buff, but the unreliable range of the Explosive Traps combined with the fact that there are very few reliable ways to set enemies on fire at this stage in the game makes it probably the worst set bonus in Hardmode.

In the ideal world, this and Monk Armor would swap their set bonuses; then melee would be able to make much better use of it by using the Fire Gauntlet and Flasks, but that probably won't happen in vanilla.

1592333701915.png

Chlorophyte Armor
Stats:
+51 Defense, +21% Melee Damage, +21% Melee Crit chance, +5% damage reduction, +5% Movement Speed (Melee)
+44 Defense, +21% Ranged Damage, +15% Ranged Crit Chance, +5% Movement Speed (Ranged)
+38 Defense, +21% Magic Damage, +15% Magic Crit Chance, +80 Max Mana, -17% Mana usage, +5% Movement Speed (Magic)
Set Bonus: Summons a Leaf Crystal, which shoots a single projectile with 100 base damage every 0,67 seconds.
Rank: B

Solid stats and a powerful set bonus makes this look like great Armor, but the context surrounding it may not make it worth your time.

First, it requires quite the amount of Chlorophyte, which isn't too hard to get but it's an ore needed in high demand at this stage in the game. Second, it has been powercrept to hell and back by Hallowed Armor and certain Hybrid armors, both of which can be acquired much earlier.

This may not be a bad armor, in fact, it has enough going for it to be an A tier, but rather one that is not worth the investment.

Turtle_armor.png

Turtle Armor
Stats:
+65 Defense, +14% Melee Damage, +12% Melee Crit chance, +15% damage reduction. Increases enemy aggro towards you.
Set bonus: Reflects contact hits with twice as much damage.
Rank: B#

Very nice defensive stats, but offensive stats that are comparable to Palladium Armor's and an insignificant Thorns effect doesn't let it stand out compared to Chlorophyte, let alone Hallowed or Squire.

At the end of the day you are better off with just the Turtle Scale Mail for melee hybrid sets, but even then Monk's Shirt is a better choice.

Post Plantera

Tiki_armor.png

Tiki Armor
Stats:
+30 Defense, +30% Minion Damage, +4 Minion Slots
Rank: B

Direct upgrade to Spider Armor, best summoner armor in the tier. However, right in Post Plantera is Summoner's weakest point, weapons wise, so while the armor is fine the context surrounding it prevents it from having a higher rank.

Spooky_armor.png

Spooky Armor
Stats:
+30 Defense, +56% Minion Damage, +4 Minion Slots, +20% movement speed.

Rank: A

Direct upgrade to Tiki, and this time there actually are good summoner weapons at the stage of the game where this is obtained.

Special mention to the Spooky Chestplate which can be used to give all classes 2 extra minion slots, and Spooky Leggings which are still a nice armor piece if there is nothing better for your class.

Beetle_armor.png

Beetle Armor
Stats:
+61 Defense, +44% Melee Damage, +8% Melee Crit Chance, +42% Melee Speed, +12% Movement Speed. (Scale Mail)
+73 Defense, 15%-45% Damage reduction, +11% Melee Damage, +5% Melee Crit Chance, +6% Melee Speed, +6 Movement Speed. (Shell)
Rank: A

Because a big mass of raw stats just can't be beaten. Whether you want to be offensive or defensive, this armor comes with the best choices for each playstyle.

Spectre_armor.png

Spectre Armor
+42
Defense, +25% Magic Damage, +17% Magic Crit Chance, +60 Max Mana, -13% Mana usage, +8% Movement Speed (Mask)
+30 Defense, -25% Magic Damage, +8% Magic Crit Chance, +60 Max Mana, +8% Movement Speed (Hood)
Set Bonus: Enemy hits spawn homing magic orbs that deal 100% of the hit's damage, not counting crits (Mask)/Enemy hits spawn healing orbs that heal by 20% of the hit's damage.
Rank: A/S

Looking at the mask, we have a very powerful armor for a pure mage due to its set bonus that greatly increases the DPS of any magic weapon used with it.

Looking at Spectre Hood, we have an S rank because immortality with lifesteal is as good as it is cheap.

Shroomite_armor.png

Shroomite Armor
+51
Defense, +15% Damage for Arrows, Bullets or Rockets, +13% Ranged damage, +25% Ranged Crit Chance, +20% chance not to consume ammo, +12% movement speed.
Set Bonus: Standing completely still without attacking makes you go into stealth mode, giving up to +60% Damage, +10% Crit chance, and +50% Knockback.
Rank: A#

Once again, Raw stats are the way to go. The damage increase from the helmets is multiplicative, making them significantly better than they may look at first. However its The Set bonus is pretty much the worst in the game; there is simply no way to reliably use the stealth without getting brutally killed.

This has the best Ranged Helmet and second-best Ranged Chest slot for hybrid armors, that you should probably switch over to since the Shroomite Leggings and the aforementioned set bonus are amongst the worst in the game.

Dark_Artist_armor.png

Dark Artist Armor
Stats:
+42 defense, +25% Magic Damage and Crit Chance, -15% Mana costs, +60% Minion Damage, +3 extra sentry slots.
Set Bonus: Greatly increases Flameburst Sentry range.
Rank: A#

There may be better sets for a pure mage, but its +60% minion damage increase makes this extremely strong when combined with certain minions.

Flameburst sentries are not strong, but their incredible range and crowd control makes them helpful to have around. Not particularly amazing, but helpful.

It also comes with the best Magic leg slot in the game, with a massive +25% crit chance bonus. Dark Artist's Robe also provides some good stats for both mages and minions as well as some mana economy.

1592336474821.png

Shinobi Infiltrator Armor
Stats:
+54 defense, +20% Melee damage, +20% melee crit chance, +20% Melee and Movement Speed, +60% Minion Damage, +3 extra sentry slots.
Set bonus: Lightning Auras hit 20% faster and gain a set 25% crit chance.
Rank: B#

Needs more 20% increases

The combination of solid stats for Melee, a 60% damage increase for your Dragon or Terraprisma, and a very efficient set bonus for Lightning Auras makes this a rather powerful armor for the Pillars and Moon Lord.

Shinobi Infiltrator's Helmet may be a bit weaker for melee bonuses than the Chlorophyte or Hallowed Masks, but its 20% increase to minion damage gives it a niche over those two.

Red_Riding_armor.png

Red Riding Armor
Stats:
+48 defense, +25% Ranged Damage, +20% Ranged Crit Chance, +60% Minion Damage, +3 extra sentry slots, +20% Movement Speed
Set Bonus: Explosive Traps attack much faster inflict Oiled!, making enemies take more DoT from fire debuffs.
Rank: A#

Same story: Decent stats and +60% Minion damage with some sentries to boot. Oiled is less reliable than ever at this point, but the increase in power to Explosive Traps is rather big.

When hybridizing, the Red Riding Dress may be a tiny bit weaker than the Shroomite Chest, but that doesn't matter since it comes with a massive 25% Minion damage increase as well.

1592336798671.png

Valhalla Knight Armor
Stats:
+68 defense, +4 HP/sec, +10% Melee damage,+20% Melee Crit Chance, +60% Minion Damage, +3 extra sentry slots, +20% Movement Speed.
Set Bonus: Getting hit doubles all Ballistas' attack speed for 5 seconds.
Rank: A#

Same story with Monk and Squire; slightly worse offensive stats here but significantly better defensively with great regeneration and good defense.

The Breastplate and Greaves are undoubtedly great armor pieces, the Helmet for this armor is pretty bad even after its buff. When replaced with either Hallowed Mask or Shinobi Helmet the result is armor on par or more powerful than the Beetle Mail.

Post Moon Lord
TLDR: They are all S rank except for Nebula Armor, which is on a tier of its own since it's so grossly broken even among the overpowered.

I mean, these sets were literally designed to be broken. Is there any reason to actually rank them considering the only thing you do with them is flex on previous challenges?
 

Attachments

  • 1592329237059.png
    1592329237059.png
    810 bytes · Views: 202
  • 1592333205733.png
    1592333205733.png
    696 bytes · Views: 130
  • 1592333222004.png
    1592333222004.png
    562 bytes · Views: 97
Last edited:

Lord Garak

Retinazer
I wasn't expecting to agree with most of this list. I'm glad you understand (unlike many people) how overpowered life regeneration is. However, I would still 1) boost Palladium another tier by its sheer longevity, 2) Lower Hallow for being generally inferior to Palladium and Titanium, 3) Lower Solar for being so inferior to Nebula armor.

I am praying that the OOA, especially Squire and Valhalla, recieve heavy rebalances in 1.4, because otherwise they will remain definitively busted beyond repair. I don't like making individual armor pieces more broken than set bonuses, and that's what the Squire/Valhalla combo does currently.
 

J Bame

Terrarian
Palladium is staying where it is because as good as regen is you can only get away with low stats for so long. Against a fast paced boss like Plantera phase 2 or OOA, you are better off with plain offensive stats than regen. Which isn't to say that Palladium isn't viable for Plantera, but rather that it's not S rank because it's not so overpowered at the end of the day.

Hallowed may probably be worse than Palladium in some cases, but that doesn't mean it's a bad armor set by itself. Raw stats are just too good.

Meanwhile Nebula armor is a better Melee and Ranged set than Solar and Vortex respectively which is why it's in a tier of its own instead of S tier right now.
 
Last edited:

ppowersteef

Paladin
That's one interesting find about the Shroomite Helmets, I've never noticed that myself.
I don't think it's a significiant increase though, (seen so far 2-3 damage difference with it) but it is an increase nonetheless.
It gives me the reason again to prefer it over the Hallowed or Chlorophyte Helmet.
(Also, Solar Flare Chestpiece has 2% more melee damage than the Monk piece does, making the monk chestpiece technically the second best melee chestpiece. Still a huge lot for it's early access though.)
 
Last edited:

J Bame

Terrarian
The same is also true for everything that increases a specific type of damage, aka Magic Quiver and Archery potions. And it is quite significant, you are probably looking at something with fairly low base damage, because with something like a Phantasm (50 base damage only) the difference can be up to 5 points, which is the equivalent of 10% extra damage.

Monk might be the second best melee chest but who really cares about hybrid sets at Post ML.
 

Blood Crawler

Brain of Cthulhu
Frost armor is good if you're using both ranged and melee weapons since some players like me don't like binding themselves to a class.
Don't forget that if you got admanite in your world, frozen armor will be a better choice to craft because it both porvides good defence and damage buffs with some DoT damage.
 

Lord Garak

Retinazer
Frost armor is good if you're using both ranged and melee weapons since some players like me don't like binding themselves to a class.
Don't forget that if you got admanite in your world, frozen armor will be a better choice to craft because it both porvides good defence and damage buffs with some DoT damage.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
 

J Bame

Terrarian
Frost armor is good if you're using both ranged and melee weapons since some players like me don't like binding themselves to a class.
Don't forget that if you got admanite in your world, frozen armor will be a better choice to craft because it both porvides good defence and damage buffs with some DoT damage.

Except that playing like that is strictly worse than just playing with only Melee or Ranged weapons, with an armor that will fully benefit either weapon type. And I'm not too sure where the "Frost > Adamantite" misconception comes from, since you can tell by the stats I listed that Adamantite has better stats*. And 8 DoT from Frostburn is never going to do anything relevant since even the average good weapon in Pre-Mech has 600 DPS or more.

* Frost gives more defense to Rangers, not that it matters a lot since you are the strongest class in the game that doesn't really care about defense over DPS.
 

Baconfry

Terrarian
Hey, cool to see that this guide has reached TCF! Sorry about lurking so long before posting a reply.

I think the relative rankings of Red Riding armor and Valhalla Knight armor are a bit off, because Valhalla Knight has 2/3 pieces that are absolutely excellent, whereas the only decent Red Riding piece is the dress. And the dress is optimal for neither summoning nor ranged, losing to V. Knight and Shroomite respectively. At least Frost armor can say that it had the BiS breastplate for its stage of the game; Red Riding cannot.

Chlorophyte Plate Mail is good enough for mages to use even post-Plantera, as it's only 2% behind the Spectre Robe. If you consider Menacing, Lucky, and Warding to be equal, Chlorophyte Plate Mail is actually better than the Spectre Robe, so I think that at least warrants a mention.

The crit% on V. Knight Greaves is melee only, and 1 sentry cap on OOA sets is actually granted by the set bonus. Not that I would be inclined to use them as full sets, anyways.
 

J Bame

Terrarian
The ranking is only for the full set; the "#" only means it's good for hybridizing, it doesn't affect the armor's rank. That's why Valhalla Knight is ranked so low, since besides the regen from the chest the full set is nothing special. The Red Riding Dress may be a tiny bit worse full a full ranger, but that doesn't matter because I don't think I need to explain why a 25% damage increase for your UFOs/Dragon more than makes up for a 1% loss in DPS. It is a lot worse than the VK tho, gonna give you that one.

As for the VK Greaves only affecting melee, well that taught me two things: That the full set of VK armor is even worse than I thought due to Melee being the worst class to use a Dragon with, and that I'm an idiot that somehow never noticed his leg slot was never affecting his Phantasm during the ML fight. I've always thought Shroomite Arrow Helm/VK Chest/VK Greaves was the best anti-ML armor, guess I gotta switch to Forbidden Treads.
 

Baconfry

Terrarian
I mean, melee can still use the Influx Waver with the Dragon, right? Despite how it may look, the Influx Waver actually deals non-piercing damage. So do Lightning Aura sentries, for that matter. edit: like ballistas, lightning auras and the influx waver respect piercing i-frames, but do not create them. RIP melee... guess dragon users are stuck with flairon, vamp knives, seedler, and SotC then.

While we're on the topic of Lightning Aura: Shinobi Infiltrator's Helmet is a wonderful hybrid piece in its own right, giving 20%/20% melee/summon damage along with 2 sentries. The helmet's hybridization potential is probably the best thing I have to say about this armor set, though. I always found Queen Spiders more reliable due to their superior range and the fact that the baby spiders accumulate off of missed shots. This results in higher effective DPS, since the Queen Spider is essentially damaging something with every shot, while Lightning Aura only deals damage when enemies are inside (and with no KB, it can't hold them there).
 
Last edited:

Aiden L

Official Terrarian
Very well put together list, and I agree with everything. I didn't think that you would include the dungeon defender sets, I guess I just forgot about them. They do look overpowered, but I've never used any of them because I don't like the dungeon defender event. Betsy is good, though.
 

J Bame

Terrarian
I don't know if you can really use "Queen Spider" and "superior range" in the same sentence, lol

The initial egg doesn't reach anywhere (Especially vertically) and the babies can't really jump more than a few tiles, so it's entirely a grounded sentry with very little use for the most dangerous flying enemies (aka Corites and Nebula Floaters). Meanwhile with 5 Auras spread out you can pretty much cover the entire area you fight in, and it only gets better if the landscape suits them well. And with a Full set the Aura is tall enough to chip air enemies occasionally, and that's as much as you can expect from a sentry against flying stuff.

Queens do hard counter Srollers and Selenians with their stunlocking, but I find the area coverage from the Auras better for the rest of the pillars, especially the Vortex and Stardust considering how spammy they are. I still find it really funny how a sentry obtained 10 minutes into Hardmode is considered better than most of its type introduced in the endgame.

I will add that bit for the Shinobi Helmet, for some reason I forgot about the 20% minion damage there.
 
Last edited:

Derpling Ω

Plantera
Frost armor is good if you're using both ranged and melee weapons since some players like me don't like binding themselves to a class.
Don't forget that if you got admanite in your world, frozen armor will be a better choice to craft because it both porvides good defence and damage buffs with some DoT damage.
Frostburn adds 8 dps, Compare this to orichalcum which adds 30 damage to your weapon every one second effectively adding 30 dps. You can see a clear winner here. You can just right click the ranged helmet in your inventory to switch it with your melee helmet and vice versa, making non-summoner dual class armors utterly pointless.
 

qwerty3.14

Terrarian
Spider Armor
Stats:
+20 Defense, +4 Minion slots, +28% Minion damage
Rank: C

The only viable Summoner armor. The problem lies in the fact that summoners are very weak at this point in the game, so as fun as this can be it's not good enough to justify playing Summoner over any other class.
I have to disagree spider armor is easily B/A tier.
A horde of spider minions with spider armor rivals the dps of a hallowed repeater. So you can get plenty of damage.
It is the easiest armor to obtain at the start of hardmode and said horde of spiders will be doing way more damage than any of your pre hard mode weapons.
I consider early hardmode to be the 2nd hardest part of the game and getting a horde of spiders for it is a huge contribution.
You don't need to actively use an item for the spiders to deal damage so they are very good for when you are busy mining the hardmode ores and you need some protection.

Summoner isn't weak at this point in the game it just can't deal with bosses until you get the xeno staff. It is plenty good against common enemies.
 

J Bame

Terrarian
A horde of spider minions with spider armor rivals the dps of a hallowed repeater. So you can get plenty of damage.

The issue with this is simple: You can max out on Spiders and complement them with a good secondary weapon... or you can max out on said secondary weapon and then complement that with some Minions and you'll be doing way better.

Spider Armor is basically the equivalent of Adamantite armor for Summoners, and not only do all three other classes get better armors than Adamantite, they most importantly get much better weapons (Onyx Blaster, Shadowflame Knife, Meteor Staff) than a Spider Staff that makes the analogy above even more valid.

It could honestly go up to B rank since Spiders are pretty good on enemies, but with Summoner's current state as a class it can't get any higher than that.
 

qwerty3.14

Terrarian
The issue with this is simple: You can max out on Spiders and complement them with a good secondary weapon... or you can max out on said secondary weapon and then complement that with some Minions and you'll be doing way better.
If you have access to ichor spider armor + onyx blaster is competitive with hallowed armor + onyx blaster.

Spider Armor is basically the equivalent of Adamantite armor for Summoners, and not only do all three other classes get better armors than Adamantite, they most importantly get much better weapons (Onyx Blaster, Shadowflame Knife, Meteor Staff) than a Spider Staff that makes the analogy above even more valid.
I'm guessing you are refering to a hybrid build with forbidden treads and a DD2 chest piece. And yes these are better than doing full spider and even better than doing a full ranged build for dps against common enemies. But a huge advantage spider armor has is that it can be obtained within 10 minutes of starting hardmode. Whereas getting fobidden treads requires reaching adimantite smelting, and farming the desert during a sandstorm wich you can't summon on demand. Getting DD2 armor pieces requires either spending a lot of time in prehardmode to farm up medals or doing it in hardmode which is faster but requires you to actually have hardmode gear.
Speaking of Onyx blaster that weapon needs 16 souls of night and two dark shards to craft. It is worth getting but are you really going to all that farming with prehardmode weapons?
Spider armor and staff is one of the fastest ways to increase your power at the start of hardmode.

Also small correction spider armor gives + 3 minions not +4. Spiders just use 75% of a minions slot.
 

J Bame

Terrarian
If you have access to ichor spider armor + onyx blaster is competitive with hallowed armor + onyx blaster.

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt, because the first time I tested they were comparable to just Adamantite + Adamantite Repeater, and in the short test I just did the Onyx Blaster definitely did better on the mechs.

I'm guessing you are refering to a hybrid build with forbidden treads and a DD2 chest piece.

No, I am not. I'm referring to basic Palladium, Orichalcum or just Forbidden Armor, all of which provide more benefits than plain stats and thus are more worth it than both Adamantite and Spider armor. With a pair of buffs you can already get 3 Spiders with those armors and that's already enough support for your main weapon, Spider armor tries to turn that support into most of your damage, and with these minions being as dumb as they are it is simply a bad strategy. Note how Tiki armor gets the same C rank until Xeno Staff brings it up to A, since now that you have a reliable minion going all in on them is much more reasonable.

But a huge advantage spider armor has is that it can be obtained within 10 minutes of starting hardmode.
Speaking of Onyx blaster that weapon needs 16 souls of night and two dark shards to craft. It is worth getting but are you really going to all that farming with prehardmode weapons?

I dunno, imo killing a bunch of Fighter AI mummies or camping Black Recluses with bad gear is about the same difficulty. I see what you are saying here, but in this list Availability is secondary.

Also small correction spider armor gives + 3 minions not +4. Spiders just use 75% of a minions slot.

Corrected that, and upped the rank to B for now as well.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom