Game Mechanics A 'do not pick up' list of items

Laluzi

Skeletron
This is a bit ambitious for the kinds of suggestions I like to make, but all the same: anyone who's played Terraria will find their inventory rapidly fills up with items as they traverse the world, and anyone who's played Terraria past the very first stage of pre-hardmode will find that most of the items filling their inventory serve no purpose and aren't even worth selling. At some point they end up in the trash, and as soon as the inventory spaces get freed up, the cycle begins anew.

So my suggestion is this: a list of items that the player either doesn't pick up when in range, behaving like the player's inventory is full, or which don't spawn at all; anything which would create that item creates nothing instead. Mining dirt produces no dirt blocks, hitting dayblooms destroys the flower but gives no reagents, and so on. This doesn't affect items which already exist, just prevents new ones from being generated.

I don't intend both of these functions to be in the game; it's either one or the other. Option 1 has fewer compatibility issues but leaves the world covered in junk, which has ramifications on the item limit. Option 2 is cleaner but runs into problems with multiplayer, where it either can't work unless every player has blacklisted a particular item, or zaps things which other people potentially want (or worse, allows for deliberate trolling.)

The interface for how to do this is a bit questionable, but one limited way I could envision this functioning is a special chest. You can place any item in the chest and it'll function like a normal chest, but if that item exists in this chest in any stack size, it becomes blacklisted in the aforementioned way. Like the safe, piggy bank, and defender's forge, these are inventories that are character-specific and persist across worlds. The problem here is that it's limited to the amount of items that can fit in a chest - but the number of items you may not want to pick up usually isn't that expansive anyway - clutter like cobwebs, alchemy plants and seeds, mushrooms, antlion mandibles, rotten chunks, stone, dirt, rope, glowsticks, wooden arrows, lenses, lesser healing potions, stingers, vines, pre-hm ores, undesirable crate loot and extractinator products, useless fish... Okay, maybe it is large, but 40 uniques isn't a bad limit for any given venture. It's also big enough to spec for afk farms by nixing all non-stackable drops except the one(s) you're looking for.

As for where this could be obtained, probably one of the hardmode NPC vendors. A lot of them are lacking inventory and the gimmick could be styled to fit any of them - I can see a clutter zapper working for the Cyborg, Steampunker, and Wizard, and the Pirate could sell some sort of booty blacklist.

(And yes, I'm aware there's decent overhead in asking the game to run through an array every time the player could pick up an item, but limiting it to a chest's worth of space helps mitigate the cost.)

Last edited:
This'd be very cool, although I doubt it'll ever happen; it sounds like a complicated thing to add.

I still want an option to disable banner drops; I've disliked this extra trash since the day it got introduced. Would already help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom