3DS A few issues.

DJFlare84

Mechanic
To say that I rather enjoy Terraria would be an understatement.

I purchased a copy for myself and then I purchased copies for no less than 6 friends and 3 complete strangers. I purchased the mobile copy (but it's wonky to control and I don't like it), and then I purchased the 3DS copy just recently to try it out and hope that it was better than the mobile version.

And it is, to be fair. I'm sad to discover after-the-fact that the 3DS version won't be updating past it's current state, and that some of my favorite items (many summoner equips) are not present in the game. But that said, it's nice to have a mobile Terraria that doesn't feel clunky to control and that I can enjoy at work.

That said I have a few issues with it thus far.

1. Most importantly, if you've locked on to an enemy target, the grappling hook will direct itself toward the target, EVEN IF YOUR CURSOR IS POINTED ELSEWHERE. I don't see any reason why the grappling hook should be directed at any enemy target whatsoever considering that grappling hooks do NOT interact with entities at all. This is actually quite dangerous. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally grappled while I had lock-on activated, and pulled myself right into the enemy after grappling the wall behind them.

I would consider this matter not only urgent, but vital to the success of Terraria on the 3DS platform. It often comes close to ruining the entire experience for me. In no small part because of issue #2, which is...

2. THE ABSURD SPAWN RATE OF ILLUMINANT BATS.
Look, 3DS is not a PC, okay? I don't have a mouse and a keyboard. It's tough enough dealing with a NORMAL influx of mob assaults on a 3DS, but for some reason after hardmode is enabled the spawn-rate of illuminant bats is UNFATHOMABLY absurd!!! I can barely pick away at two stones before I have to deal with another one flying in! Oftentimes 2 or 3 at a time! Can we just... chill on the spawn rates in general? Tone 'em down just a bit? I JUST got into hardmode with cobalt armor and a phoenix blaster and it still takes several good shots with exploding bullets to down a single bat. Why do I have to deal with 4 of them coming at my six every 5 seconds!? It makes mining in hardmode a complete nightmare!!!

3. A few minor quality-of-life gripes...
- Sometimes in the underground corruption I'll start hearing underground crimson music. During a bloodmoon the underworld theme may play. I just find it odd.
- Why does crafting wooden platforms only give you one per wood block? It just irks me a little that I have to chop down more trees to get roughly the same amount of arena-building material (that I desperately need because my control on a 3DS is not keyboard-and-mouse tier).
- Why can we not craft obsidian platforms out of obsidian blocks? That's like, the ONLY platform you can use in hell. Once hardmode kicks in, those lava slimes are going to destroy any other platform type...
- I really miss my bee and spider armors...
- Sometimes on the normal-sized worlds the dungeon and crimson/corruption can overlap leading to them being half-formed and causing one to have less shadow orbs/demon hearts, and the other fewer gold chests.
- I miss the different wood types. When I cut down boreal trees now all I get is regular wood...

To say that I rather enjoy Terraria would be an understatement.

I purchased a copy for myself and then I purchased copies for no less than 6 friends and 3 complete strangers. I purchased the mobile copy (but it's wonky to control and I don't like it), and then I purchased the 3DS copy just recently to try it out and hope that it was better than the mobile version.

And it is, to be fair. I'm sad to discover after-the-fact that the 3DS version won't be updating past it's current state, and that some of my favorite items (many summoner equips) are not present in the game. But that said, it's nice to have a mobile Terraria that doesn't feel clunky to control and that I can enjoy at work.

That said I have a few issues with it thus far.

1. Most importantly, if you've locked on to an enemy target, the grappling hook will direct itself toward the target, EVEN IF YOUR CURSOR IS POINTED ELSEWHERE. I don't see any reason why the grappling hook should be directed at any enemy target whatsoever considering that grappling hooks do NOT interact with entities at all. This is actually quite dangerous. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally grappled while I had lock-on activated, and pulled myself right into the enemy after grappling the wall behind them.

I would consider this matter not only urgent, but vital to the success of Terraria on the 3DS platform. It often comes close to ruining the entire experience for me. In no small part because of issue #2, which is...

2. THE ABSURD SPAWN RATE OF ILLUMINANT BATS.
Look, 3DS is not a PC, okay? I don't have a mouse and a keyboard. It's tough enough dealing with a NORMAL influx of mob assaults on a 3DS, but for some reason after hardmode is enabled the spawn-rate of illuminant bats is UNFATHOMABLY absurd!!! I can barely pick away at two stones before I have to deal with another one flying in! Oftentimes 2 or 3 at a time! Can we just... chill on the spawn rates in general? Tone 'em down just a bit? I JUST got into hardmode with cobalt armor and a phoenix blaster and it still takes several good shots with exploding bullets to down a single bat. Why do I have to deal with 4 of them coming at my six every 5 seconds!? It makes mining in hardmode a complete nightmare!!!

3. A few minor quality-of-life gripes...
- Sometimes in the underground corruption I'll start hearing underground crimson music. During a bloodmoon the underworld theme may play. I just find it odd.
- Why does crafting wooden platforms only give you one per wood block? It just irks me a little that I have to chop down more trees to get roughly the same amount of arena-building material (that I desperately need because my control on a 3DS is not keyboard-and-mouse tier).
- Why can we not craft obsidian platforms out of obsidian blocks? That's like, the ONLY platform you can use in hell. Once hardmode kicks in, those lava slimes are going to destroy any other platform type...
- I really miss my bee and spider armors...
- Sometimes on the normal-sized worlds the dungeon and crimson/corruption can overlap leading to them being half-formed and causing one to have less shadow orbs/demon hearts, and the other fewer gold chests.
- I miss the different wood types. When I cut down boreal trees now all I get is regular wood...
Hi there @DJFlare84, these are some great notes on the 3DS version, thanks for taking the time to put them down. Unfortunately, it is doubtful that the 3DS version will receive any more updates. It definitely won't receive the 1.3 update. Any other updates, even bug fixes.. doubtful.

Unfortunately, it is doubtful that the 3DS version will receive any more updates. It definitely won't receive the 1.3 update. Any other updates, even bug fixes.. doubtful.
That's... disappointing in ways that the English Language simply doesn't have bad enough words for...

Back
Top Bottom