Items A few mechanics suggestions

Dreadful man

Cultist
With the advent of the 1.3 update, my mind has been blowing with ideas for new suggestions. Some are to counter the ugly new additions like the skeleton merchant, which stops every underground farm within no time, while others are just something that could be in the game. Here is a small collection of suggestions related to mechanics:

Directional Entrances:
Single, placable blocks. Allows you to enter only from one side. Right clicking will change the direction of entry. Replacement of ghost wall glitch. Sold by mechanic.
From Left:
BxjJejs.jpg

From Right:
1uyoIPB.jpg

Entity Detectors:
Placable blocks which give a pulse when the entity it detects passes in front of it. Detects three types of entities: NPCs and players; Enemies; and Critters. Each one is made separately. Right clicking will toggle them on and off. Will help those making underground farms who can set up some detectors for the skeleton merchant to get rid of him. Or entity detected doors (Ooh, futuristic!). Recipe:
1 glass + 10 nanites + 1 wire = 1 Entity Detector
CfryYqv.jpg
jczqwhm.jpg
D0p7rVv.jpg

(Green for NPCs; Red for Enemies; Blue for Critters)​

Ranged Entity Detectors:
These have the same functionality of entity detectors but with a longer range. It shoots a laser, which has range of 24 tiles, from one side and when the entity it detects passes through the laser it gives a pulse. Direction of the laser is set when placed and cannot be changed later. Recipe:
1 Entity Detector + 5 lens = 1 Ranged Entity Detector​

Selective Doors:
Opens only for a specific type of entity (Players, NPCs, Monsters, Critters, etc.), when it is in a range of 1 block away from the door. Each type of entity has their own door which can be crafted from the different types of entity detectors. They can be right clicked to stop detection after which they will detect and open for anything. Yup, even for critters. They will go inside rather than opening on any one side when opened. Recipe:
3 Iron/Lead bars + 1 Entity Detector (R, G, B) = 1 Selective door(R, G, B)
AnNFlEk.jpg
g8oJf4m.jpg
O1HpjAd.jpg

(Green for NPCs; Red for Enemies; Blue for Critters)​

Item Teleporters:
Like the standard teleporter but is a combination of pressure plates and teleporter which sends an item from one teleporter to another the moment an item lands on it. Sold by cyborg.​
j9iLM6J.jpg

Item Collectors:
You might have heard about this thing before and it is already in Minecraft, known by the name of hoppers. As the name suggests item collectors are storage devices which stores an item the moment it falls on the collector. Sold by cyborg.​
XUHOA2p.jpg

Wire Converters:
Blocks which can convert one wire type into another. Say there is a blue wire which needs to be converted into red, then both wires will be placed such that they touch each other at a junction and on that junction a wire converter is placed. Now both red and blue wire will join together and function as a single wire. Sold by cyborg.​

Notes:
  • An item teleporter can be connected to a chest to teleport all the stuff from it and back. Same thing can be done with item collectors and other chests.
  • An entity detector can be connected to normal doors too, giving them the functionality of selective doors.
  • Ghost Wall Glitch: "Eh, ghost what?" you might be asking. If you don't know what the heck it is, here is a bit of description and applications:
The ghost wall glitch, or GWG in short, was accidentally discovered by a player (I have no idea who he/she is.) which allows you to pass through solid blocks using actuated sloped blocks. It allows 'entrance' only from that side of the wall which has actuated sloped blocks.
GWG has many applications like as doors and entrances, to send mobs and critters into lava traps and such in AFK farms and mechanisms, to filter mobs, to send mobs into contraptions to run them like in skeleton engines, and finally in hoiktronics.
Note: GWG probably doesn't work for friendly NPCs. They just turn away before they each the wall.​

A Bit of Thanks:
  • First things first! So, many thanks to the people at Re-Logic for making this cool game, without which this suggestion wouldn't have been made.
  • @MadCat My first supporter and gave ideas for some sprites.
  • @J.Kizt Gave some suggestions which changed some major things.
  • People who like this suggestion and all others who are not mad at me for any reason!
Well, that's all for know. What do you think about it? I didn't have any fancy names so I named them after what they did. Got any awesome names? Tell me! Post below if you have some thoughts. If you haven't, then I have done a really bad job of telling you something.

Last edited:
I liked the ideas. I just think that right clicking is not appropriate, because if you're willing to make a custom map everyone will be able to change it. So, an item to change it (like SovereignVis' screwdrivers) would be really appreciated. Or just make a new item for each type, like with timers, no need for right clicking. :)
Btw, +1

New sprites!
I liked the ideas. I just think that right clicking is not appropriate, because if you're willing to make a custom map everyone will be able to change it. So, an item to change it (like SovereignVis' screwdrivers) would be really appreciated. Or just make a new item for each type, like with timers, no need for right clicking. :)
Btw, +1
I think you are right. So I have separated them. But they are still right click functional. And for the custom maps, that's where the ranged detectors come into play. Keep it far from the hand of players and you are good to go!

Reactions: JK0
More sprites, more edits and added the thanks section.
Say which of the following looks better for a wire converter?
suzax88.jpg

i39lC6U.jpg

I think you are right. So I have separated them. But they are still right click functional. And for the custom maps, that's where the ranged detectors come into play. Keep it far from the hand of players and you are good to go!
But what if you want a directional entrance only to the right, for example, with right clicking the player will be able to go to every direction he wants. Unless there is a mechanism like the actuator to not let the player change the direction, it will be almost useless (will still be useful for gwg, but not for custom maps). And I think that triggering with wiring should be cool too.

More sprites, more edits and added the thanks section.
Say which of the following looks better for a wire converter?
suzax88.jpg

i39lC6U.jpg
I prefer the 2nd one, looks like my wire bridge. Hahaha

But what if you want a directional entrance only to the right, for example, with right clicking the player will be able to go to every direction he wants. Unless there is a mechanism like the actuator to not let the player change the direction, it will be almost useless (will still be useful for gwg, but not for custom maps). And I think that triggering with wiring should be cool too.
Ooh, you are really good at this. Now I have to think how to fix that.:p

I prefer the 2nd one, looks like my wire bridge. Hahaha
Holy crap that's the same thing! But how?! One thing is to say, you are really good at turning your ideas into pictures.;) How come?

Back
Top Bottom