A Full-Game Guide to the Old One’s Army

Actually, once I can I'll test Explosive Trap, in combination with clinger staff, nimbus, and lightning rod on one side (clinger+2 clouds+1 lightning+2 traps), and the impact of placing explosive traps just above the crystal on wyverns and gliders, and see how they goes. Personally, I expect them to single-handedly ward off an entire side until ogre appears in tier 2.

Alright, here's the results for tier 2 (in master mode)!
And it honestly... surprised me.
(Skip to 1:00 for the real fight)
As you can see in the video, cleverly placed 6 explosive traps and 1 lightning rod is suffice to obliterate an entire side of all ground enemies except krakens (too much health, but can still destroy half of their health), and 90% of flying enemies (sometimes the knockback knocks them the wrong way), by placing platforms like this, and placing 2 traps on each floor:
View attachment 326948
This setup pretty much negates the negative side of explosive traps unable to hit flying enemies twice, and can be set up at the end of wave 3. The lightning rod also knocks back the wyverns and gliders a bit so that they can hit them easier. I also added the spider to somewhat deal with the krakens, but looking back it would probably be better to move it to the clinger side after wave 3 due to clingers unable to knock krakens back.

One other thing I took note of in the testing was the radius of explosive trap's explosions. Despite the particles, they are Much, Much larger then you think. It is more something like this:
View attachment 326943
Everything this image shows is pretty much the radius of the circled explosive trap. They are extremely wide for some reason and as such they are usually capable of hitting a ground enemy twice (as they walk towards the crystal) for the most part.

I also discovered that it is good for wyverns as well! by placing explosive traps just above the crystal (on a platform), it can preform pretty well against remaining wyverns, better than ballista or flameburst for sure.

After wave 3, I started placing explosive traps on the clinger side as well (they work pretty wonders as the clinger knocks them back onto the traps). On this side you don't really need 6, 3 is just as good. I also placed lightning rod for even more fun (though they isn't really strictly necessary because clinger+nimbus is strong enough on its own), and I also used platforms for the traps so they they don't stretch the wall of cursed flames back away from the nimbus.
View attachment 326944
By now you should have 20 green mana for sentries and in wave 6 (because I also used one in the middle), at this point you can use them on ballistas or lightning rod on the side which ogre appears.
Explosive traps doesn't work well on ogre because they can't instakill it and ogre will just walk away from the small radius of the traps, which is one thing traps don't do well against: enemies with high health.
Now you just kill ogre with your weapons.

I understands that forbidden armor boosts the performance of all sentries by 25%. So instead I used pre-mechs accessories and weapons (except sentries), no modifiers, and no minions, and pretty much steamrolled wave 1-6 just as easily. I also did not use forbidden's set bonus.

I will update this once I tests tier 3 in the future (hopefully not take too long)

Never underestimate explosive traps!
You didn’t use the forbidden armor set bonus! That thing shreds ogre

I did a run recently with some of the suboptimal gear on the list in Master Mode Tier 3 as a mage and managed to make it through, so I thought I'd put the video here for people that want to try an early-ish run against Betsy. It uses Apprentice armor, Razorblade Typhoon, and a bunch of helper weapons (Nimbus staff, deadly sphere, queen spider staff). The Flameburst staff is the only Etherian sentry used:

(I didn't record the first two stages because I didn't expect it to work this well).

Back
Top Bottom