A GREAT MANY weapons tested against the Pumpkin Moon + Frost Moon Final wave strategies

J Bame

Terrarian
Keeping up the trend because yes, here we have a lot of different weapons and setups tried against the Pumpkin moon. Due to this event's combination of big crowds and simple bosses, testing weapons here can give us a good idea of the general performance of a weapon.

FrostMoons.png

All tests were done on Master.

Marked in Yellow are the fastest times for each column. Some of these columns have more than one marked weapon; this is done when one of the weapons is either Fragment tier or Terraprisma, which are not realistic choices for the event in a normal run and were tested mostly for fun.

Some of these weapons also couldn't make it to the final wave because I simply gave up on them after a certain point, so I just wrote down their best time and left it at that.

Blade Staff stacking whips has by far the most inconsistent performance; I did many tests, and the three results are the fastest, slowest, and an inbetween.

Builds used:

Sin título.png
Sin título.png
Sin título.png
Sin título.png

Armor may change in some tests.

An important thing to note that these tests, for the most part, weren't done with the intention of getting the absolute fastest times, but rather to compare multiple weapons' performance when using a similar loadout.

Now we get to optimizing. Using the Pumpkin Moon's result as a reference for what weapons to use, I tried to get to the Final Wave of the Expert Mode (sorry, Master too hard) Frost Moon as quickly as possible. I also tried some new builds, most of which gave very surprising results.

1624477311708.png

Sadly I did these tests a while ago and I didn't keep track of the exact builds I used, I only have this picture from back then:
TerraBladeGear.jpg

Using Scutlix Mount and Green Horseshoe balloon for Mobility in place of Wings.

We can assume the builds are variants of this, swapping accessories and armor depending on class and approach (Full OOA sets were used for their sentry's respective test)

Looking at the top 3 times it seems like we've been sleeping on OOA T3 sets...

Attachments

• 1624477305748.png
    1624477305748.png
    22 KB · Views: 217
Very nice! I was just reading another guide someone had done with master mode runs and weapons, and it's interesting to see what's in common and what's not: Pumpkin and Frost Moons Guide

In your run, the aerial bane did much better than electrosphere, while AngryNimbus did better with Electrosphere. You tested Lunar gear and AngryNimbus tested more mid-hardmode weapons. I think they complement each other well.

The OOA tier 3 results are great, I love tower defense games and always enjoyed that mini-game. I guess it makes sense that the sentries would do well, since they're designed for hoards, but I'm surprised they did so well against the later stages with flying bosses (although Flameburst's set bonus helps it fire far, so maybe that's why it did so well?)

Yeah Reaching wave 20 PM in Master is nearly impossible with pre Lunar gear ( not included cheese strat like Horseman Blade). The best i could hit was arround wave 18-19 even with fragment tier. PM is kindda ez, just use the best cc weapon avaiable, later killing Mourning Wood and ground mobs actually score more pts than Pupmking if u manage to ignore him.

In your run, the aerial bane did much better than electrosphere, while AngryNimbus did better with Electrosphere. You tested Lunar gear and AngryNimbus tested more mid-hardmode weapons. I think they complement each other well.
This is basically the perfect time to be using an Aerial Bane: It has both great DPS against the Pumpkings and it carpet bombs the ground where the Morning Woods or other grounded enemies reside. It destroys absolutely everything, including my FPS (thank god i can turn frameskip off). It works much worse in Frost Moon due to that event having less enemies with more health overall.

Yeah Reaching wave 20 PM in Master is nearly impossible with pre Lunar gear ( not included cheese strat like Horseman Blade).
If I were using Banners here i'm pretty sure most of the weapons I tried would have more than enough DPS to get to Wave 20, in fact last time I tried that with Tsunami and Holy Arrows I got a 2:33 AM time, funnily enough that's roughly the same time as I got here on Expert mode.

im very supries Mage is not the best class both event. They have 1 of the best crowd control tool in the game ( Razorblade Typhoon) and 1 of the best single target burst damge and cc (Nebula Arcaum). i though summoner would struggle a bit but they do suprisingly well. The Sentires combination is very interesting idea, i will try it next playthrough

Now try Terra Blade with Dark Harvest/Durendal stacking, unless I'm blind
I forgot to mention all tests with Terra Blade and Kaleidoscope were done using Dark Harvest as a sidearm for extra melee speed (Don't think Durendal is worth it for Kaleidoscope).

In the former's case, I made sure to have just enough melee speed to bring its useAnimation to 7, which I think is the sweet spot where the Swings and the Beam's cooldown are as close to being on sync as possible and thus optimizing fire rate.

Back
Top Bottom