A LARGE AMOUNT of early Hardmode weapons tested against Expert Twins

I tried Fetid Baghnakhs and I wasn't able to reach the Twins for most of the time.
You probably can with Amphibian Boots and certainly can with Gelatinous Pillion.

Also I don't want to reforge everything because then I'd have to spend a while reforging to Warding then having to reforge everything back to Menacing and Lucky if I test a weapon from another class.
Grab copies of accessories in Journey Mode and put Menacing stuff into a chest for the time being.

Inspired by tests like this by @qwerty3.14, @J Bame, and @Mathbrush1, I've decided to test viable early Hardmode weapons against The Twins to see which weapons are superior in boss fights like this one.

I did these tests in Journey mode with the difficulty slider set to 2.00x (Expert mode), which gave me 6 accessory slots to use, and gave the Twins a total of 64500 health (Spazmatism has 34500 health and Retinazer has 30000). I set the time to 7:30 PM, froze time, summoned The Twins, unfroze time, then froze it again after they were defeated.

Four out of six accessory slots were taken up by 4 standard accessories that I used for every weapon, which were Obsidian Shield, Fairy Wings, Shield of Cthulhu, and Amphibian Boots, all reforged to Menacing. The remaining accessory slots were taken up by damage accessories specific to the class of the weapon.

Buffs used: Lifeforce, Rage, Wrath, Ironskin, Regeneration, Swiftness, Endurance, Ichor Flask (Melee and Summoner), Ammo Reservation (Ranger), Archery (Ranger), Magic Power (Mage), Mana Regeneration (Mage), Bewitched (Summoner), and Summoning (Summoner).

I didn't use any minions alongside non-summon weapons, because I wanted to see how weapons performed by themselves. Though if someone wants me to try with minions, I can.

Green means a high velocity weapon with high range that can hit the boss really easily. Turquoise means a weapon that can hit the boss if used correctly but requires more effort than green weapons. Blue means a weapon that can hit the boss easily if you're close enough but doesn't have that high range. Yellow means a weapon that can only hit the boss when it's charging at you, but still performs decent. Red means a weapon that struggles to hit the boss.

Results:

Melee:
Melee didn't perform very well, as the Twins tend to hover a specific distance away from the player, which makes most melee weapons unable to hit them. Armour used was Titanium armour. Combat accessories used were a Lucky Warrior Emblem and an unreforged (oops) Power Glove.
  1. Bananarang: 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Since fighting the Twins requires a lot of flying vertically, I had to aim above or below the boss to hit it.
  2. Shadowflame Knife: 3 minutes and 34 seconds. Only occasionally hit the other Twin with the bouncing knife.
  3. Light Disc: 3 minutes and 45 seconds. Basically a significantly slower Bananarang with lower DPS.
  4. Sergeant United Shield: 3 minutes and 46 seconds. Hits both Twins in one throw, which made the both enter their seconds phases at around the same time.
  5. Chain Guillotines: 3 minutes and 50 seconds. Kinda annoying to use because of how it curves when moving in the direction that I'm aiming at.
  6. Drippler Crippler: 3 minutes and 51 seconds. The projectile actually allowed me to hit the Twins from offscreen, which no other melee weapons were able to do.
  7. Mushroom Spear: 4 minutes and 2 seconds. Only was able to hit the boss when it was charging.
  8. Amarok: 4 minutes and 14 seconds. Hard to hit Spazmatism when it's in its second phase due to short range and yoyo physics.
  9. Gradient: 4 minutes and 17 seconds. I think it has better DPS than Amarok but shorter range and spin time gives it a lower time.
  10. Dao of Pow: 5 minutes and 44 seconds. Basically a worse Drippler Crippler with no projectile.
  11. Flying Knife: 6 minutes and 50 seconds. This was the worst weapon tested.
Conclusions: Boomerangs > Flails.

Ranged:
Ranged was probably the best class for this boss, as every weapon had basically infinite range (except for Toxikarp) and got a decent time. Armour used was Frost armour. Combat accessories were a Lucky Ranger Emblem and a Lucky Molten Quiver. I tested two types of ammo for most of the weapons.
  1. Daedalus Stormbow: 1 minute and 37 seconds (Holy Arrows)/1 minute and 31 seconds (Ichor Arrows). This thing is still broken, it needs a second nerf.
  2. Uzi: 1 minute and 37 seconds (Crystal Bullets)/2 minutes (Ichor Bullets). Performs astounding well with Crystal Bullets but is significantly worse with Ichor Bullets, but still really good.
  3. Phantom Phoenix: 1 minute and 40 seconds (Holy Arrows)/1 minute and 34 seconds (Ichor Arrows). I'm not sure how much the phoenix helped, but it was a really fun weapon.
  4. Hallowed Repeater: 1 minute and 43 seconds (Holy Arrows)/1 minute and 52 seconds (Ichor Arrows). This honestly surprised me a lot.
  5. Megashark: 1 minute and 57 seconds (Crystal Bullets)/1 minute and 55 seconds (Ichor Arrows). The classic anti-Twins weapon.
  6. Super Star Shooter: 1 minute and 58 seconds. Did surprisingly well for a crowd control weapon.
  7. Dart Rifle: 2 minutes and 10 seconds (Ichor Darts)/2 minutes and 41 seconds (Cursed Darts). Not as ridiculous as I thought it would be, but still performed well.
  8. Shadowflame Bow: 2 minutes and 15 seconds (Holy Arrows)/2 minutes and 16 seconds (Ichor Arrows). Outperforming the Dart Pistol was strange.
  9. Dart Pistol: 2 minutes and 16 seconds (Ichor Darts)/2 minutes and 38 seconds (Cursed Darts). It seems that Dart Rifle is a bit better.
  10. Titanium Repeater: 2 minutes and 20 seconds (Holy Arrows)/2 minutes and 29 seconds (Ichor Arrows).
  11. Adamantite Repeater: 2 minutes and 25 seconds (Holy Arrows)/2 minutes and 40 seconds (Ichor Arrows).
  12. Clockwork Assault Rifle: 2 minutes and 27 seconds (Crystal Bullets)/2 minutes and 22 seconds (Ichor Bullets).
  13. Onyx Blaster: 2 minutes and 36 seconds (Crystal Bullets)/2 minutes and 28 seconds (Ichor Bullets). Does depend on being somewhat close to hit with the purple projectile.
  14. Toxikarp: 2 minutes and 58 seconds. Far easier to aim than I'd thought it would be.
  15. Ice Bow: 3 minutes and 28 seconds (Holy Arrows)/3 minutes and 24 seconds (Ichor Arrows).
  16. Marrow: 3 minutes and 34 seconds (Holy Arrows)/3 minutes and 40 seconds (Ichor Arrows). Almost broke my finger thanks to the lack of autofire.
Conclusions: Ichor Arrows > Holy Arrows for bows, Ichor Arrows < Holy Arrows for repeaters, Ichor Bullets > Crystal Bullets for guns.

Magic:
Magic did fine, generally not as good as ranger but better than nearly all of melee's options. Armour used was Titanium armour. Combat accessories used were Lucky Sorcerer Emblem and Lucky Magnet Flower (used with Super Mana Potions, which replenished my max mana of 300 completely).
  1. Spirit Flame: 2 minutes and 36 seconds. Most of the fireballs went after Retinazer and killed it first rather than Spazmatism.
  2. Crystal Serpent: 2 minutes and 40 seconds. The Twins ran into the secondary projectiles a lot.
  3. Tome of Infinite Wisdom: 2 minutes and 44 seconds. Somehow outperformed the Sky Fracture.
  4. Sky Fracture: 2 minutes and 56 seconds.
  5. Unholy Trident: 3 minutes and 12 seconds. Did pretty well for a somewhat slow piercing weapon.
  6. Orange Zapinator: 3 minutes and 15 seconds. This is a luck-based weapon, so others may get better times with it.
  7. Crystal Storm: 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Cannot hit unless you're running away from the boss.
  8. Life Drain: 3 minutes and 58 seconds. Would be a safe weapon thank to the life regen but you can only hit the Twins when they're onscreen.
  9. Cursed Flames: 3 minutes and 59 seconds. Some of the projectiles bounced of the ground and came back to deal more damage.
  10. Frost Staff: 4 minutes and 30 seconds. A sort of meh weapon.
  11. Poison Staff: 4 minutes and 32 seconds. Not a lot of range.
  12. Meteor Staff: 4 minutes and 45 seconds. I occasionally went under Floating Islands which stopped it from dealing DPS.
  13. Laser Rifle: 5 minutes and 44 seconds. Didn't expect it to be this bad.

Summoner:
Summoner performed extremely well, especially with whip stacking, which allowed it to get times under ranger, however there were only two viable minions (Sanguine and Blade). Armour used was Obsidian armour, as I prefer the whip bonuses over Spider's extra minion slots. I used a Power Glove (the same unreforged one as melee) and alternated between the Summoner Emblem and the Pygmy Necklace to see which was better. Also keep in mind that I'm not an expert at whip stacking, and when I tried to stack Snapthorn with other whips I occasionally attacked with Snapthorn for longer than necessary.
  1. Sanguine Staff + Firecracker + Durendal: 1 minute and 9 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 8 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  2. Blade Staff + Durendal + Spinal Tap: 1 minute and 19 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 17 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  3. Blade Staff + Durendal: 1 minute and 24 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 23 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  4. Sanguine Staff + Firecracker: 1 minute and 25 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 24 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  5. Sanguine Staff + Durendal: 1 minute and 32 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 25 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  6. Sanguine Staff + Firecracker + Snapthorn: 1 minute and 34 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 43 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  7. Blade Staff + Durendal + Snapthorn: 1 minute and 38 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 20 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  8. Sanguine Staff + Durendal + Snapthorn: 1 minute and 40 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 32 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  9. Blade Staff + Spinal Tap + Snapthorn: 1 minute and 55 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 51 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  10. Sanguine Staff + Cool Whip + Snapthorn: 1 minute and 58 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 43 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  11. Blade Staff + Cool Whip + Snapthorn: 1 minute and 58 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 52 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  12. Blade Staff + Cool Whip: 2 minutes and 8 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 57 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  13. Blade Staff + Firecracker + Snapthorn: 2 minutes and 9 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 59 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  14. Blade Staff + Spinal Tap: 2 minutes and 14 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 54 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  15. Sanguine Staff + Spinal Tap + Snapthorn: 2 minutes and 15 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 57 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  16. Blade Staff + Firecracker: 2 minutes and 16 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/2 minutes and 5 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  17. Sanguine Staff + Spinal Tap: 2 minutes and 24 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/1 minute and 57 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
  18. Sanguine Staff + Cool Whip: 2 minutes and 47 seconds (Summoner Emblem)/2 minutes and 49 seconds (Pygmy Necklace).
Conclusions: With Sanguine Staff: Firecracker > Durendal > Spinal Tap > Cool Whip. With Blade Staff: Durendal > Spinal Tap > Cool Whip > Firecracker. Also stacking Snapthorn with a whip other than Spinal Tap seems to be more trouble than it's worth, at least for me. Also Spinal Tap and Snapthorn don't have enough range to hit Spazmatism from outside his flamethrower.

Final Conclusion:
Ranger is definitely the safest (as always), but summoner wins in terms of speed, even without whip stacking. Mage works great but is outclassed by ranger and summoner, and melee can work if you use one of the very few weapons that score respectable times (Bananarang, Shadowflame Knife, and Light Disc), but I'd recommend using a different class.

Have any questions or requests to retry weapons with other loadouts?
wow nice job

In the hardmode weapon tier list page we were talking about the flying knife being used alongside the ice bow. I decided to test it against the twins.

I've tried 4 different armors.
Accesories used were amphibian boots, SoC, pink horseshoe balloon, worm scarf, charm of myths, putrid scent and pygmy necklace.
Crystal assassin let me replace the SoC with a ranger emblem.
Sanguine bats were used to fill up minion slots.
1626362610585.png

These are similar equipment to what I used in my earlier tests so you can easily compare ice bow + flying knife to other weapons.

In the hardmode weapon tier list page we were talking about the flying knife being used alongside the ice bow. I decided to test it against the twins.

I've tried 4 different armors.
Accesories used were amphibian boots, SoC, pink horseshoe balloon, worm scarf, charm of myths, putrid scent and pygmy necklace.
Crystal assassin let me replace the SoC with a ranger emblem.
Sanguine bats were used to fill up minion slots.
View attachment 332894

These are similar equipment to what I used in my earlier tests so you can easily compare ice bow + flying knife to other weapons.
I didn't consider the significant benefits of using Crystal Assassin Armor with this.

That said, what about without minions, since Dread didn't test with minions for Ranger & Melee?

Recently I've tested a bunch more weapons that I missed originally, most notably Duke Fishron drops, a variety of yoyos, a couple of bows with Flying Knife, and Coin Gun. Let me know if there's any weapons that I still haven't tested (no, I will not test true melee). Also I tested Beam Sword, Frostbrand, and KO Cannon, which didn't deal enough DPS or couldn't hit consistently enough to finish the fight before dawn.

Recently I've tested a bunch more weapons that I missed originally, most notably Duke Fishron drops, a variety of yoyos, a couple of bows with Flying Knife, and Coin Gun. Let me know if there's any weapons that I still haven't tested (no, I will not test true melee). Also I tested Beam Sword, Frostbrand, and KO Cannon, which didn't deal enough DPS or couldn't hit consistently enough to finish the fight before dawn.
You seem to have missed Tempest Staff for Summoner tests.

I am in the process of redoing basically this entire thread. These tests were done like 10 months ago, and since then I have learned a lot, gotten better at the game, and realized how unoptimized these tests were. I didn't use minions alongside non-summon weapons, I didn't use Exquisitely Stuffed, Clairvoyance or Sharpened, I used Obsidian Shield which is barely necessary at all, I didn't reforge any weapons out of pure laziness, and I didn't really adapt my movement for Holy Arrows at all.

So recently I'd had enough of seeing much lower times on Twins than mine, so I decided to redo everything. Instead of retyping the results (which takes time), I will post screenshots of an Excel spreadsheet which I recorded the results in, then sorted and applied colours. Colours still represent the same thing.

I am currently retesting everything to bring these tests up to date with the 1.4.4 update, so here are things to keep in mind for when I update the thread with new tests:
  • Sanguine Staff got nerfed, it can no longer hit more than once per attack cycle, which is a nerf to every single test here besides Blade Staff tests.
  • New autofire option greatly improves some weapons' performance.
  • Frostbrand and Beam Sword now fire their projectile much faster.
  • Ice Sickle projectiles have more range but only deal 2/3 of the base damage.
  • Chain Guillotines got a 50% range buff.
  • Bananarang and Light Disc were made nonstackable and rebalanced.
  • Archery Potion was nerfed to 10% increased bow damage.
  • Quiver damage increase is now additive instead of multiplicative, a nerf.
  • A bunch of bows were buffed to compensate for the above nerfs.
  • Flamethrower was completely reworked.
  • Secondary Super Star Shooter shots now uses static immunity and deal more damage.
  • Ichor Darts no longer hit very rapidly before splitting and have reduced base damage (used to be quite insane).
  • Holy Arrow stars deal less damage.
  • Magic Dagger now uses local immunity so that it doesn't block itself anymore.
  • Golden Shower and Cursed Flames have higher base damage.
  • Meteor Staff mana cost reduced (very significant, no longer "sinkholes").
  • Shadowflame Hex Doll uses local immunity and fires one tendril directly forward towards the cursor.
  • Speed increasing whips now increase whip speed by less.
  • Cool Whip has 6 tag damage now.
  • Blade Staff now only gains 75% of the benefit from tags (basically compensated by cool whip tag though).

This might be a lot to ask, but would you consider testing the buffed wand of sparking and chain knife (if it reaches) on the Remix/dontdigup seed? Be interesting to see how they fit in.

Back
Top Bottom