Items A little rebalancing of Dyes

Do you want this?

• Total voters

gardenapple

Steampunker
We all know how painful it is to find dyes legitimately in Terraria. A lot of people who like this mechanic and want to make their characters look pretty usually just use inventory editors. So here we go: My attempt at fixing this.
  1. All Dye materials, when crafted, give 3 Dyes instead of 1. That way, finding just one ingridient is enough for a full set of armor.
  2. Compound Dyes, when crafted, give the amount of dyes that were used in the recipe. For example, Red Dye + Orange Dye + Yellow Dye = 3 Flame Dyes.
And a couple of unnecessary ones:
  1. Lime Kelp should be brighter so that it's easier to spot underwater.
    Lime_Kelp.png
    ->
    vAPf1Cr.png
  2. Black Dye should be sold from the Dye Trader, to make <dye> and Black combinations easier and to give the poor guy just a bit more uses. It's only fair because he already sells the Silver dye.
So what do you think about this?

EDIT: I implemented this suggestion into a tModLoader mod. If you want to, you can check out Dye Easy right over here.

Last edited:
Definitely going to go ahead and hit the table with a 'support' hammer, you've got me rooted on the spot. Honestly, even if the developers aren't commonly pedantic about the way they add content and make fixes to the game, this, this could work. There is some sense in this suggestion, and it makes me wonder why this set of minor ideas haven't already appeared in-game beforehand.

Well done -- bravo. I, for sure, would love to see these make their way to the next update to come.

Sorry, but adding a "solution" which involves giving more food to the RNG beast? No, just no. Frankly, your idea sounded good until that "To compensate" bit. Then it went to Nopeland, fast. Randomness never has and never will bring balance to no game ever.

Sorry, but adding a "solution" which involves giving more food to the RNG beast? No, just no. Frankly, your idea sounded good until that "To compensate" bit. Then it went to Nopeland, fast. Randomness never has and never will bring balance to no game ever.
I do agree that the part with making the ingredients rarer has got to go. If anything I think they should all be twice as common!

We all know how painful it is to find dyes legitimately in Terraria.
. . .
3. To compensate for this, all materials should be about 2 times rarer. The only exception is Lime Kelp, which stays the same, and Yellow Marigold, which should be 5 rarer.
Isn't this contradictory? They're hard to find, but you want to reduce their frequency?
The Yellow Marigold is used in the most number of dyes equal with Black Ink (of dyes that are not bought). Making it 5 times rarer sounds like an annoyance at how frequently it spawns unwanted. (Which I understand.)

Black Dye should be sold from the Dye Trader, to make <dye> and Black combinations easier and to give the poor guy just a bit more uses.
Black dye isn't too hard to obtain with a Blood Moon and Water Candle. (Though also assuming you can stay underwater for extended periods of time.)

Orange Bloodroot, Lime Kelp, Sky Blue Flower and Pink Prickly Pear are hard enough to find already. What about the ingredients that drop from enemies (ink and husks) - are the enemies made rarer or are their drops no longer guaranteed? I have a load of red husks and black inks, but few cyan/violet husks or purple mucos.

I like the idea of dyes making sets of 3, but not the rarity changes.

Isn't this contradictory? They're hard to find, but you want to reduce their frequency?
The Yellow Marigold is used in the most number of dyes equal with Black Ink (of dyes that are not bought). Making it 5 times rarer sounds like an annoyance at how frequently it spawns unwanted. (Which I understand.)

Black dye isn't too hard to obtain with a Blood Moon and Water Candle. (Though also assuming you can stay underwater for extended periods of time.)

Orange Bloodroot, Lime Kelp, Sky Blue Flower and Pink Prickly Pear are hard enough to find already. What about the ingredients that drop from enemies (ink and husks) - are the enemies made rarer or are their drops no longer guaranteed? I have a load of red husks and black inks, but few cyan/violet husks or purple mucos.

I like the idea of dyes making sets of 3, but not the rarity changes.
That's a fair point. I tend to condratict myself quite often. Removing that part from the OP now.

Although there's still a lot more Yellow Marigolds compared to other dyes. In one of my playthroughs I had 2-3 Red, Purple, Blue, Green, Pink and Cyan dyes and 15 Yellow dyes pre-hardmode. Not sure what to do about it in this suggestion though.

Last edited:
All dyes are "more common" depending on who you ask. That's the "beauty" of RNGs. For example, I spent several hours looking for the damn pink flowers to make pink dye (that is, wasting time while I waited for it to rain, mostly, which makes it all the more boring,) yet all other dye ingredients are basically dirt-rare for me.

In all honesty I'd rather break my :red: 3 times to get those damn purple snails to spawn than completely destroy it instead for 3 at once. I might not want my whole armor to be purple to begin with. More common spawns with more materials required are a grind motivator are you know you'll get where you want at some point regardless of luck, no drops at all unless you get that ony lucky drop are a demotivator and might get you to stop playing altogether.

Also people mentioning blooroot, to be perfectly fair, purple and black drop from a single biome you will visit like once or twice in your entire playthrough, bloodroot is found anywhere and I usually end up with tons not even trying.

I agree with the two changes regarding black dye and kelp tho, considering kelp is annoying to find in general and throwing black dyes at the trader will make purple more common as only one dye mob will occupy ocean's spawn list.

Last edited:
And a couple of unnecessary ones:
  1. Lime Kelp should be brighter so that it's easier to spot underwater.
    Lime_Kelp.png
    vAPf1Cr.png
  2. Black Dye should be sold from the Dye Trader, to make <dye> and Black combinations easier and to give the poor guy just a bit more uses.
I find the 'unnecessary ones' would be the most helpful! The brighter Lime Kelp is great.

I feel like dyes ought to be just plain more common. Make it so orange bloodroot and lime kelp can grow from stone or above zero height and stuff.
Seriously, every type of Dye needs to be as common and easy-to-find as Yellow Marigold, Blue Berries, and Sky Blue Flowers are.

Considering how important Black Dye is, Squids should seriously be spawning more often. Probably as often as Sharks.

I do agree with the change to the blended dye yield, though. That's just logic.

Back
Top Bottom