Switch A lot of freezing

Arrix

Terrarian
The recent release state of Slay the Spire should have taught me a lesson but here I am anyway. The game is good, 30 bucks are worth for the content Terraria offers, but the technical aspects of the port are not satisfactory.

I have already submitted a bug report through the form that a moderator linked in another thread, but since I really dislike how bad many of the PC game ports are at release on the Switch (especially at that price point!) I decided to open this thread.

While playing (docked) there are 3 different freezes that I encounter regularly. Or at least they feel different.

The first one is 100% reproducable and by far the most annoying one. It happens right after teleporting back to base either through a use of teleportation or a death. I built my base where I orignally spawned into the world. There are enough rooms for 6 NPCs with only 3 of them already occupied. I have 1 active bonfire and basic crafting stations. No statues or other decorations.
Around one second after spawning into the base the game freezes for 4 to 10 seconds or so. The length seems random. Then the game unfreezes for around half a second and then freezes again for the same amount of time. This happens every time I port back or respawn after death.

The random freeze after dying. This one happens around 50% of the time. Right after being killed by mobs but before respawning while the "You died and lost money" message is shown. This always occurs when the sunflower indicating saving is shown. This also last for at least 4 seconds.Together with the respawn freezes this is extremely annoying and prolongs the already long downtime caused by death even further.

The random freeze is another one. This one happens seemingly random while exploring or walking around the base. There is no visible correlation with what happens on the screen or how many enemies are active. I encounter this far more oftern near my base than out in the wild. I fought 10 slimes before without a lag while changing biomes and backgrounds but then had 30 seconds worth of freezes fighting a single slime in my spawn biom. This is the shortest kind of freez ranging from less than 1 second to around 5 seconds.There is no set intervall of it happening. It also felt like it got much worse at the end of my sitting (which was at least 4 hours long).

While the game is frozen I can still minimize the game without any dangers of crashing the game. I never had a crash during or right after a freeze.

I really hope the devs are aware that the port needs work. I'll gladly provide more information if it will help to fix these freezes.

The recent release state of Slay the Spire should have taught me a lesson but here I am anyway. The game is good, 30 bucks are worth for the content Terraria offers, but the technical aspects of the port are not satisfactory.

I have already submitted a bug report through the form that a moderator linked in another thread, but since I really dislike how bad many of the PC game ports are at release on the Switch (especially at that price point!) I decided to open this thread.

While playing (docked) there are 3 different freezes that I encounter regularly. Or at least they feel different.

The first one is 100% reproducable and by far the most annoying one. It happens right after teleporting back to base either through a use of teleportation or a death. I built my base where I orignally spawned into the world. There are enough rooms for 6 NPCs with only 3 of them already occupied. I have 1 active bonfire and basic crafting stations. No statues or other decorations.
Around one second after spawning into the base the game freezes for 4 to 10 seconds or so. The length seems random. Then the game unfreezes for around half a second and then freezes again for the same amount of time. This happens every time I port back or respawn after death.

The random freeze after dying. This one happens around 50% of the time. Right after being killed by mobs but before respawning while the "You died and lost money" message is shown. This always occurs when the sunflower indicating saving is shown. This also last for at least 4 seconds.Together with the respawn freezes this is extremely annoying and prolongs the already long downtime caused by death even further.

The random freeze is another one. This one happens seemingly random while exploring or walking around the base. There is no visible correlation with what happens on the screen or how many enemies are active. I encounter this far more oftern near my base than out in the wild. I fought 10 slimes before without a lag while changing biomes and backgrounds but then had 30 seconds worth of freezes fighting a single slime in my spawn biom. This is the shortest kind of freez ranging from less than 1 second to around 5 seconds.There is no set intervall of it happening. It also felt like it got much worse at the end of my sitting (which was at least 4 hours long).

While the game is frozen I can still minimize the game without any dangers of crashing the game. I never had a crash during or right after a freeze.

I really hope the devs are aware that the port needs work. I'll gladly provide more information if it will help to fix these freezes.
Hi @Arrix, welcome to the forums. :)

Thanks so much for sharing this info and providing such details, and thanks for sending it in using the bug report form. For others that may be stopping by, here is how to get your info straight to the development team: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

You are welcome and I hope it helps.

I played again for a few hours today and at the start the game was fine. No freezes. But after around 2 hours the game started to freeze again. Should I issue a few bug report with the added information or is it fine, if I edit the op? Will it bee seen?

You are welcome and I hope it helps.

I played again for a few hours today and at the start the game was fine. No freezes. But after around 2 hours the game started to freeze again. Should I issue a few bug report with the added information or is it fine, if I edit the op? Will it bee seen?
Are you playing on a large world?

You can edit the first post if you’d like with any new info, however, the guaranteed way to get your info in front of the developers is to send it in using the bug report link. Comments that are written here are helpful to alert the community, and sometimes the community can help a poster in turn by responding with a workaround for an issue, but that’s all this section is for. The developers are going to be reading the info coming in from the bug report link for sure, while on the other hand they may occasionally read messages posted here. :)

Are you playing on a large world?

You can edit the first post if you’d like with any new info, however, the guaranteed way to get your info in front of the developers is to send it in using the bug report link. Comments that are written here are helpful to alert the community, and sometimes the community can help a poster in turn by responding with a workaround for an issue, but that’s all this section is for. The developers are going to be reading the info coming in from the bug report link for sure, while on the other hand they may occasionally read messages posted here. :)

Yes, it's a large world, but I don't I will be playing it till a patch. I thought that a restart would help but I guess I was just lucky. The next time I started the game it was freezing right from the start and only got worse.
I'll see if restarting on a smaller world helps.

Yes, it's a large world, but I don't I will be playing it till a patch. I thought that a restart would help but I guess I was just lucky. The next time I started the game it was freezing right from the start and only got worse.
I'll see if restarting on a smaller world helps.
Yeah, see if a smaller world performs better. Might be related to world size as all the “freezing” issues I’ve seen so far are players on large worlds.

I think the random freezes are due to the auto save function. I turned that off and it hasn't frozen since.
Hi @Great Dame, thanks for this info, you’re the second one that has mentioned turning off auto-save has made a difference. I’ll keep that in mind if I see others having the issue and suggest that.

@Great Dame
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try and see if it helps later this day. I didn't even know you could turn it off. ^^'

A quick test turned out quite good. The freeze after death but before the respawn is still there and is still annoying, but the other freezes seem to be gone.

If this continues the game got a lot more playable again.

Last edited:
Hi, I’m having similar problems but it’s only whenever I am fighting the lunatic cultist when he uses the icicle wheel. I have fought every other boss (fought the moon lord by getting a friend to give me a hand as his game didn’t freeze) and it has never happened before. Don’t really understand why and this is the 6th platform I have played the game on, and I have never run into this issue even when spawning in 8 bosses at once on Xbox one
Looking at the photo, I am half invisible because of my armour, but I have restarted about 5 times now, and it’s alwase the second Ice wheel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 405
Hi, I’m having similar problems but it’s only whenever I am fighting the lunatic cultist when he uses the icicle wheel. I have fought every other boss (fought the moon lord by getting a friend to give me a hand as his game didn’t freeze) and it has never happened before. Don’t really understand why and this is the 6th platform I have played the game on, and I have never run into this issue even when spawning in 8 bosses at once on Xbox one
Looking at the photo, I am half invisible because of my armour, but I have restarted about 5 times now, and it’s alwase the second Ice wheel
Hi there @MiccaMacks, welcome to the forums. :) Sorry to hear you’re having this issue, it sounds frustrating.

By chance are you on a large world? Is your dungeon close to the ocean? One thing to try, have you completely shut off the Switch (hold Power Button for 3-5 seconds>Power Settings>Restart).

A little bit of testing things out - does it freeze if you use a different weapon, or is it on Vampire Knives? If you turn off the mini map? Try not having a pet out, or turning off blood and gore. Sometimes it can be certain things that may be the source, why you might be having this problem with the Cultist’s ice ball and others aren’t (others are having issues with freezing, but not specifically at the ice ball part).

I encourage you to try out different things to see if you can isolate and replicate it, and send as many details as you can to Pipeworks, the console developers, here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

I also wish to add my concern, I'm on a medium world at normal mode and everytime i go to hell (underworld) at some point the game freezes indefinitely.

(It's ironic that I'm in hell then the game freezes)

Hey there, been having the same issue during pirate invasion, and pumpkin moon. As an afterthought, I bought the game digitally. Was curious if, perhaps, a physical copy might make a difference? I'd really like to keep playing, but currently I can't progress because the game freezes constantly during big fights, and frequently after I've reloaded the game, my summon material is gone. Small and Medium worlds, yes I've issued a bug report.

Figured out a work around. First, disable blood gore, any pets and light helping buddies, turn off auto save and mini map. So far so good ing game stuff. Now go out into the switch itself, msnage data on Terraria, check for corrupt data. It will tell you there is none, but choose to redownload software anyway, it will redownload and you should be clear on the issue for about an hour. It'll start happening again after that. Hey, moderators, 505, Nintendo etc. I paid $30 for this game on Switch, it's not like it's a computer and there are things I can do to make it work. Fix this problem or refund everyone who bought it. Nothing like a broken game to disenfranchise a person.

By the way, my personal debug mentioned above only worked once, now the crash is anytime an event happens IE blood moon, Solar Eclipse, etc.. I've spent the better part of 20 hours trying to figure out how I can play my copy of Terraria. So far, I'm back to 20 hours ago game play. This sucks. You should not have released a version of your game that crashes like this.

Hey, moderators, 505, Nintendo etc. I paid $30 for this game on Switch, it's not like it's a computer and there are things I can do to make it work. Fix this problem or refund everyone who bought it. Nothing like a broken game to disenfranchise a person.

I feel your frustration. I've been pulling my hair out for 8 months.

You should not have released a version of your game that crashes like this.

I feel that many of the current bugs came after the most recent update/patch.

Star wrath and oceans are my main problems on my world with other people online if I click once 1-2 people crash or I crash either way its not fun, and i try to get water chest like water walking boots, but it just crash's my game.

Back
Top Bottom