PC A lot of weapons tested against Plantera & More

AngryNimbus

Terrarian
“Plantera is a Hardmode boss that can be fought in the Underground Jungle after all three mechanical bosses (The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime, and The Twins) have been defeated. Plantera drops a Temple Key upon defeat, allowing access to the Jungle Temple.” – Official Terraria Wiki.

I haven't found a lot of information about how well various weapons do against Plantera, so let me introduce some pieces of it. Hopefully, this post will prove helpful to readers.

In a nutshell, TOP 6 weapons:
1. Coin Gun + Gold Coin : 26,3 seconds
2. Developer's Yoyo (Red's Throw, Valkyrie), chlorophyte armor : 36,0 seconds
3. Sanguine Staff + Durendal (secondary) + Firecracker (main): 39,3 seconds
4. Chlorophyte Shotbow + Holy Arrows: 39,7 seconds
5. Developers' Yoyo (Red's Throw, Valkyrie), frost armor : 40 seconds
6. Blade Staff + Durendal (main) + Spinal Tap (secondary) : 43 seconds

Your arena should be more tall than narrow. It gives less chances to get overwhelmed by bouncing spiky balls. A water body at the bottom is highly advisable, as it drastically reduces spiky ball velocity and basically makes them non-exisistent during the fight.

Example from my personal world:
1.gif

Teleporter arena is also effective, though it narrows the list of usable weapons. You may need weapons that can shoot all projectiles through 1 block gap. Megashark is a great choice.
teleporter.jpg

Image taken from here: Plantera strategies
Melee accessories.gif
Ranged accessories.gif
Magic accessories.gif
Summon accessories.gif

Melee, Ranged, Magic and Summon respectively

Melee and ranged potions.gif
Magic potions.gif
Summon potions.gif

Melee&Ranged, Magic and Summon respectively

All stationary buffs were also used: sharpening station for melee, bewitching table for summon, and crystal ball for magic.

Godmode is an ideal result. Player movement was the same as normal fight. Then godmode was turned off to see the impact of a not ideal skill (retreating, sligthtly more missed shots, more distance, etc). Godmode was never used with magic, due to infinite mana. (no mana potions -> no sickness -> more DPS). Summoner used a whipstacking technique, rapidly changing whips in order to use the effects of each.
For yoyos, the Shield of Cthulhu was replaced with yoyo bag.
Average of 3 tries, rounded (tried to be more precise). Timer started with the first hit. If less than 40 seconds, decimals are shown.

Extra melee+chlorophyte tests were made with the same accessories

Melee.jpg
Ranged part 1.jpg

Ranged part 2.jpg

Ranged Part 3.jpg
Magic.jpg
Summon.jpg

Summoner 2.gif
Research 1.jpg

Research 2.jpg

Research 3.jpg

Chlorophyte vs. Frost armors; melee
Melee variant of chlorophyte armor has insignificantly less damage and 15% less melee speed, but 10% more critical stike chance and a leaf crystal. Fights were done with godmode turned off.

Frost Chlorophyte
Cloro-frost.jpg

Attachments

• Melee.jpg
    Melee.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Magic.jpg
    Magic.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
This is great! Interesting to see that the Tome of Infinite Wisdom did good here and against the Twins. I always thought the weapon was cool, but all the guides say it's weak. Interesting how the melee OOA weapons are so bad against bosses but this and Phantom Phoenix work so well

Is the optic staff completely worthless here?

I'm glad you guys are testing all the really hard bosses. Can't believe you beat Plantera with a Laser Rifle, that's pretty great!

This is great! Interesting to see that the Tome of Infinite Wisdom did good here and against the Twins. I always thought the weapon was cool, but all the guides say it's weak. Interesting how the melee OOA weapons are so bad against bosses but this and Phantom Phoenix work so well

I'm glad you guys are testing all the really hard bosses. Can't believe you beat Plantera with a Laser Rifle, that's pretty great!
Optic staff, damn! I forgot about it!
There will be an edit soon

Should test the spider staff, it has no trouble staying latched onto plantera the whole fight. Only use 3 though because of static iFrames, swap out 3 bats/blades.

Also please tell me you used 3 minions in the non summon builds...

Chlorophyte armor is better than frost, the damage bonuses are about the same for ranged, and a bit stronger for melee, but the set bonus is much stronger than the frostbite debuff. Not sure why you're using a pre mech armor for plantera... I'd imagine that hallowed summoner for extra passive dps from bats would be even better.

Added new summoner stuff: Optic, Spider, Pirate and combined

Should test the spider staff, it has no trouble staying latched onto plantera the whole fight. Only use 3 though because of static iFrames, swap out 3 bats/blades.
Done

Chlorophyte armor is better than frost, the damage bonuses are about the same for ranged, and a bit stronger for melee, but the set bonus is much stronger than the frostbite debuff. Not sure why you're using a pre mech armor for plantera... I'd imagine that hallowed summoner for extra passive dps from bats would be even better.
Will be done soon (in research section, compared to frost)
Dev yoyo will be retested with chlorophyte, may be higher in top 5

Also please tell me you used 3 minions in the non summon builds...
Tests were made for single-class, for research purposes, rather than faster kill

Testing Death sickle with chloro, surprisingly good, idk why 46 sec vs 60
Other weapons are only slightly better
Chloro+ 3 minioms tests soon (only the fastest weapons)

*I will reduce DS times down to 57/62 sec with frost; everything else is fine, checked

Last edited:
Added new summoner stuff: Optic, Spider, Pirate and combined

Done

Will be done soon (in research section, compared to frost)
Dev yoyo will be retested with chlorophyte, may be higher in top 5

Tests were made for single-class, for research purposes, rather than faster kill

Testing Death sickle with chloro, surprisingly good, idk why 46 sec vs 60
Other weapons are only slightly better
Chloro+ 3 minioms tests soon (only the fastest weapons)

*I will reduce DS times down to 57/62 sec with frost; everything else is fine, checked
Thank you, it's perfect. Looks like Optic's pretty bad. I really appreciate you trying out extra stuff, this boss is the worst one, for me, after the Moon Lord!

Thank you, it's perfect. Looks like Optic's pretty bad. I really appreciate you trying out extra stuff, this boss is the worst one, for me, after the Moon Lord!
Optic staff just doesn't have the single target potential that spider does. Optic's fire rate against a single target caps at 5 hits per second whereas spider caps at 6 hits per second.

So using the base damage of the weapons that's 150 base dps for optic staff vs 156 base dps for spider. But it's even worse than that, the retinimi's only have 24 base damage and share iFrames with the spazmini's, the average between the twins is 27 base damage which leads to 135 base dps. Oh and spider minions add a flat 30dps from venom too.

Anyway, interesting that full sanguine was faster than sanguine + spider. When I did some pirate invasion tests spiders + sanguine got a better time. I'm guessing this is because plantera's large hitbox meant the bats where getting multi hits per swoop.

Anyway, interesting that full sanguine was faster than sanguine + spider. When I did some pirate invasion tests spiders + sanguine got a better time. I'm guessing this is because plantera's large hitbox meant the bats where getting multi hits per swoop
In fact, this happened to me too in OOA T2
Here, Blade=Optic -> Pirate=Spider -> Sanguine

In these invasions, Sanguine + Spider/Pirate should indeed be better than full Sanguine

Bats clumsily hit only the nearest enemy, which is bad vs OOA
In Plantera fight phase 2, sangune reliably hits the main boss, so it doesn’t hurt the time

Maybe it als deals with large hitbox , because I was always fairly close to her (whip range)

Last edited:
This one's awesome! Did the whips ever hit a tentacle last and mess up the time because the minions targeted the tentacle instead?

And yeah, Plantera is pretty terrible, in both design and execution. Her bossfight has more issues than I can name and is behind (or in this case, above) only The Destroyer and Moon Lord when it comes to quality. I hate this boss, and if I ever play this game again I'm getting it over with as quickly as possible, so this should help.

This one's awesome! Did the whips ever hit a tentacle last and mess up the time because the minions targeted the tentacle instead?

And yeah, Plantera is pretty terrible, in both design and execution. Her bossfight has more issues than I can name and is behind (or in this case, above) only The Destroyer and Moon Lord when it comes to quality. I hate this boss, and if I ever play this game again I'm getting it over with as quickly as possible, so this should help.
Yes they did, but Durendal's buff was enough to rapidly focus Plantera again

Fetid + Durendal + full Warding (either Turtle or Titanium & 3 blade minions) is enough to facetank her, you don't need to torture yourself
Final update: chlorophyte melee in research section, new top 5 (6, because it is the same weapon)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom