Weapons & Equip A More Unique Shroomite Revamp

I think at one point Baconfry made a post about the endgame sets corresponding to mario enemies.

• I rate this sky high!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Eh.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You must have had some shrooms to come up with this!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Scironex

The Destroyer
So, Shroomite. Truly the most garbage of set bonuses.

As a preface, I'd advise looking at SzGamer's Variety Rather then Specialization Shroomite revamp. It accomplishes the task of changing the cloak mechanic such that it's actually effective.

I, on the other hand, say, "Screw the cloaking." It's a fun idea, but it intrinsically runs contrary to the shoot and dodge nature of Terrarian combat. Both of the other armors encourage good habits that would already exist within the players playstyle. Instead I'm proposing completely different set bonus - a muzzle flash! But first off, I need to note a few changes to the armor pieces as a whole.

First off, I'm not applying the different bonuses to the helmet. Rather than 3 helmets, there will be one, and the bonus for the headpiece will be replaced by the 7% crit chance from the leggings.

In exchange, there will be two sets of leggings to carry the set bonus. This is an entirely thematic choice, and shouldn't affect the mechanics. If you make an argument about this, you will be looked upon with scorn, even if no one says anything. The chestpiece will be unaffected.

Something I've noticed about the other two armors' set bonuses is that one focuses on survivability and the other on higher damage. Melee uses powerful crowd destroying weapons whilst eating what damage they must take. Their bonuses reflect that, with the survival bonus letting you save all that damage you didn't take to give you a discount on the damage you do, and the damage one boosting damage for tackling large numbers of foes at once. Mages are fragile, but have a versatile arsenal that can take on on swarms of foes or a single boss at any time, but are limited by a regenerating reserve of power. Their bonuses support that style - the survival set gives the powerful (and ever controversial) lifesteal effect, making you a demigod while slinging spells, and the damage set sends powerful wisps while dealing damage.

From my experience, Rangers take the opposite of Warriors in that they are focused DPS machines. So I intend to reflect that by giving them a focused, powerful bonus in the muzzle flash. The idea is to make a field of damage in the direction of the shooting. Note that the muzzle flash does not trigger invincibility frames, but will still only hit a given enemy once. Admittedly, this idea was actually taken from an "Ideas for the S.D.M.G." suggestion thread, but I can't find it for the life of me.

So here are my changes:

Shroomite_Leggings.png

Shroomite Leggings
8 Defense
17% increased ranged damage
10% increased ranged critical chance
10% increased movement speed

SET:
Creates an infinite-piercing muzzle flash effect for all ammo-consuming ranged weapons with a length proportional to the weapons' use time, and damage equal to half the damage of the weapon. This means that slower weapons, like the Sniper Rifle make a long, powerful flash, whereas things like the Chain Gun make a short, rapid flash. This would be the high-damage set, and is to be used to chew through enemies.

YUhS2qi.png

Shroomite Chaps
16 Defense
5% increased ranged damage
7% increased ranged crit chance
20% increased movement speed
10% chance to not consume ammo

SET:
First off, it gives the same effect as the Hermes Boots.
Second, it creates an infinite piercing muzzle flash effect for all ammo-consuming ranged weapons with a width proportional to the weapons' use time, and knockback equal to double the knockback of the weapon. The point of this set is to keep enemies at range to keep the enemies at optimal range. Additionally, the flash will actively push enemies away, even outside of knockback, though, the pushing effect will be less effective on enemies with larger hitboxes, and this pushback is far less effective on its own than knockback. The pushback does, however, affect enemies that are otherwise immune to being pushed around. This is the survival set, and, unlike the Beetle and Spectre bonuses, focuses on never taking damage in the first place.

Comments and criticism, as always, are appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom