Blocks & Decoration A New look on Piano Functionality

L0ST5ILVER

Official Terrarian
Greetings fellow Terrarians!
I want to preface this suggestion with; I'm aware this isn't an original idea, however I'm making this thread in more detail than previous suggestions, and in hopes that we can shed light on this small suggestion one last time before 1.4 closes the gate.

Let us begin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start at the beginning, I suggest that the piano furniture blocks in terraria should be given functionality, being able to play the piano using keys on your keyboard, or clicking on the screen.

Pianos should be right clicked, and a gui will pop up (Unlike other instruments in Terraria, a piano is too complex and requires it's own gui, obviously)

Here I've depicted a little example of what I see it looking like: (The background is just for contrast)
Untitled-1.png

The options shown are as follows:

• Mute Toggle and Volume Slider
  • Possible Reverb Toggle and Reverb Amount (Just a little addon idea, not necessary for the suggestion, though could be effective if you're playing underground)
  • Sustain Toggle (So when you play a note it is constantly played)
  • Close
So from here you'd be able to play to your heart's content, by clicking on the notes or pressing keys on your keyboard.
Indicators for those could also be shown on the notes themselves (Eg: C for C, F for Db, V for D etc.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick video with my ideas for some of the piano sounds. =)

(Read video description for a bit more info)

I'm putting too much time and effort into this suggestion. lol

Which sound is your favourite?
Also if anyone would like the samples (or plugin presets if you use FL) I'd be happy to oblige! =)

The way I suggest this is implemented is by simply using a piano sample, and adjusting the pitch depending on the note pressed (As most samplers do).

This suggestion can go bigger than this if we wanted to -
For example, should the sound be different depending on the piano? Such as Martian pianos having using a chorus effect piano sample to make it sound more sci-fi? Could the granite piano using a grand piano sample etc., or should they all just be the same sound? I'm honestly happy with either.

Now, you're probably asking why this should be added, why is this necessary? Well by every definition of the word necessary, it's not. At all. But it's not excessive, or even unnecessary, it's a nice novelty, something to appreciate, something to have fun with, even if one might not use it, it still gives the object more character and value to the piano furniture. As a pianist myself, I think this little novelty feature would be beneficial to the game, not in a balancing or gameplay sense, but in an atmospheric sense, it just gives more character to the objects in this already charismatic game.
(Is midi controller support too much to ask too?) haha

Obviously if this were to be implemented, it wouldn't have to work exactly as I've said here, this is a suggestion after all, an idea, and I'd love to hear any suggestions or changes other people may have to improve this short and sweet suggestion, is it too complex? Should it be more simple? I'd love to know.

I hope this feature is considered for the next Terraria update(s), thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion.
Kind regards,

Last edited:
Made a quick video with my ideas for some of the piano sounds. =)

Also if anyone would like the samples (or plugin presets if you use FL) I'd be happy to oblige! =)
And as for favourite sound, I'd say the spooky wood one.

Wow. Just wow. It makes sense though, what else is a piano supposed to do? Act as a flat surface for NPC Housing? `;)
I will continue to advocate for functional pianos. :golem:
What would the world be like in a world where dressers have no functions? where grandfather clocks didn't tell time? Where chairs couldn't be sat on (yet), and where pianos are forever silent? Raise awareness to this cause!

Greetings fellow Terrarians!
I want to preface this suggestion with; I'm aware this isn't an original idea, however I'm making this thread in more detail than previous suggestions, and in hopes that we can shed light on this small suggestion one last time before 1.4 closes the gate.

Let us begin.

Let's start at the beginning, I suggest that the piano furniture blocks in terraria should be given functionality, being able to play the piano using keys on your keyboard, or clicking on the screen.

Pianos should be right clicked, and a gui will pop up (Unlike other instruments in Terraria, a piano is too complex and requires it's own gui, obviously)

Here I've depicted a little example of what I see it looking like: (The background is just for contrast)

The options shown are as follows:

• Mute Toggle and Volume Slider
  • Possible Reverb Toggle and Reverb Amount (Just a little addon idea, not necessary for the suggestion, though could be effective if you're playing underground)
  • Sustain Toggle (So when you play a note it is constantly played)
  • Close
So from here you'd be able to play to your heart's content, by clicking on the notes or pressing keys on your keyboard.
Indicators for those could also be shown on the notes themselves (Eg: C for C, F for Db, V for D etc.)

Quick video with my ideas for some of the piano sounds. =)

The way I suggest this is implemented is by simply using a piano sample, and adjusting the pitch depending on the note pressed (As most samplers do).

This suggestion can go bigger than this if we wanted to -
For example, should the sound be different depending on the piano? Such as Martian pianos having using a chorus effect piano sample to make it sound more sci-fi? Could the granite piano using a grand piano sample etc., or should they all just be the same sound? I'm honestly happy with either.

Now, you're probably asking why this should be added, why is this necessary? Well by every definition of the word necessary, it's not. At all. But it's not excessive, or even unnecessary, it's a nice novelty, something to appreciate, something to have fun with, even if one might not use it, it still gives the object more character and value to the piano furniture. As a pianist myself, I think this little novelty feature would be beneficial to the game, not in a balancing or gameplay sense, but in an atmospheric sense, it just gives more character to the objects in this already charismatic game.
(Is midi controller support too much to ask too?) haha

Obviously if this were to be implemented, it wouldn't have to work exactly as I've said here, this is a suggestion after all, an idea, and I'd love to hear any suggestions or changes other people may have to improve this short and sweet suggestion, is it too complex? Should it be more simple? I'd love to know.

I hope this feature is considered for the next Terraria update(s), thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion.
Kind regards,
This is such a good idea because all that the pianos do in terraria are they just sit there and collect dust

This is such a good idea because all that the pianos do in terraria are they just sit there and collect dust
Literally. All for all the small-insignificant things they added in 1.4, I was shocked that of all things, they didn't add piano functionality.
They added guitars, but Pianos are still useless. bit disappointed because it means there's zero chance of it happening now ;n;

Literally. All for all the small-insignificant things they added in 1.4, I was shocked that of all things, they didn't add piano functionality.
They added guitars, but Pianos are still useless. bit disappointed because it means there's zero chance of it happening now ;n;
Well, they are still making bug fixes.
And if they are doing anything at all, even tiny things like that.
We might still have a tiny chance.

Back
Top Bottom