A Painful Start: Mediumcore Expert Hardmode

ManaUser

Brain of Cthulhu
I'm not gonna turn this into a full "Let's Play" style story or anything, but I wanted to share my tale of woe. So for reasons that escape me at the moment, I though it might be fun to try playing mediumcore again. My very first character was mediumcore, not knowing any better, and after a disaster in the post-plantera dungeon, I swore off ever playing that mode again... until now. I figured I've come a long way, so I could probably handle it...

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't also decided to play expert mode (gotta get that treasure). Suffice it to say I may have bitten off more than I could chew. But then on top of that, the game decided to be completely evil. First night, bloodmoon. My base was relatively secure, so I got through that without dying. But then, no sooner has the bloodmoon set, I get a goblin invasion. An expert hardmode goblin invasion with pre-hardmode gear is truly the stuff of nightmares. Every single NPC was slaughtered by Chaos Balls and Shadowflame Apparations. There was nothing I could do. The only thing that stopped it from being a completely unrecoverable disaster was my geyser-based defense system which slowly whittled away the invaders while I died countless times. Oh yeah, and once the goblins were defeated, another bloodmoon.

Ugh.

But I guess it can only get better form here. Right? Right?

I'm not gonna turn this into a full "Let's Play" style story or anything, but I wanted to share my tale of woe. So for reasons that escape me at the moment, I though it might be fun to try playing mediumcore again. My very first character was mediumcore, not knowing any better, and after a disaster in the post-plantera dungeon, I swore off ever playing that mode again... until now. I figured I've come a long way, so I could probably handle it...

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't also decided to play expert mode (gotta get that treasure). Suffice it to say I may have bitten off more than I could chew. But then on top of that, the game decided to be completely evil. First night, bloodmoon. My base was relatively secure, so I got through that without dying. But then, no sooner has the bloodmoon set, I get a goblin invasion. An expert hardmode goblin invasion with pre-hardmode gear is truly the stuff of nightmares. Every single NPC was slaughtered by Chaos Balls and Shadowflame Apparations. There was nothing I could do. The only thing that stopped it from being a completely unrecoverable disaster was my geyser-based defense system which slowly whittled away the invaders while I died countless times. Oh yeah, and once the goblins were defeated, another bloodmoon.

Ugh.

But I guess it can only get better form here. Right? Right?
Can't wait for those buffed Pirates and Solar Eclipse mobs. 8)

Can't wait for those buffed Pirates and Solar Eclipse mobs. 8)
I'm not as worried about those, honestly. Pirates can't go through walls, and neither can the pre-mech boss eclipse enemies. Plus I got an enchanted sundial which I'm saving for banishing an eclipse if needed. I think the goblin invasion, with all the teleporting and wall-ignoring magic, is just about the worst.

Last edited:
Basically the game is completely different on Expert and there is never a time you can relax.
It is possible to win on Expert with a hardcore character though- you just have to be as good as I am :p

you think that's bad?(it is) i always play on mediumcore, and i have an even worse story:
so i finally got a corruption key mold. i go to the dungeon and make my way to the corruption chest. i opened it and got the scourge of the corruptor. i had some fun killing mobs with it, and two minutes later(still in the dungeon), i die. great. im on mediumcore, so im going back and what do i get? a solar eclipse. so i figure "well, i'll just go out of the game and back in so i respawn at my house and then i can wait out the eclipse." i click save and quit to title.

0_0

so basically, i lost my scourge of the corruptor permanently 2 minutes after getting it. other stuff i lost:

terra blade
death sickle

so more recently, i made a world with the express purpose of reclaiming the scourge. i got it, and i still have it.
keep in mind this is 1.2.2, so key mold droprates are 1 in 4000 and solar eclipses have a 1 in 25 chance of happening after mech bosses, you cant summon eclipses, and BHS and death sickles are stupidly rare drops from eclipse mobs. ouch.

to date, this is my worst terraria story ever.

you think that's bad?(it is) i always play on mediumcore, and i have an even worse story:

keep in mind this is 1.2.2, so key mold droprates are 1 in 4000 and solar eclipses have a 1 in 25 chance of happening after mech bosses, you cant summon eclipses, and BHS and death sickles are stupidly rare drops from eclipse mobs. ouch.

to date, this is my worst terraria story ever.
Ouch. That's pretty bad. I really wish Mediumcore put your drops in a container of some kind so they wouldn't be lost permanently if you exit. It's just a little too nasty. But I've stuck with it anyway, currently I've beaten everything but the cultist, pillars and moon lord. Taking those on is a bit daunting, but I suppose I'll have to do it soon, not much more I can do to prepare.

But speaking of dungeon mishaps (I'm noticing a theme) I did have a close call recently. I died in the dungeon and then died again trying to retrieve my stuff using second-rate equipment. This was starting to look bad, but fortunately I had a backup plan: Dig directly into the part the dungeon where I died from outside. This actually worked really well.

Last edited:
Ouch. That's pretty bad. I really wish Mediumcore put your drops in a container of some kind so they wouldn't be lost permanently if you exit. It's just a little too nasty. But I've stuck with it anyway, currently I've beaten everything but the cultist, pillars and moon lord. Taking those on is a bit daunting, but I suppose I'll have to do it soon, not much more I can do to prepare.

But speaking of dungeon mishaps (I'm noticing a theme) I did have a close call recently. I died in the dungeon and then died again trying to retrieve my stuff using second-rate equipment. This was starting to look bad, but fortunately I had a backup plan: Dig directly into the part the dungeon where I died from outside. This actually worked really well.
what i hate the most is when an event happens while you're trying to get back. blood moons and martians are the worst, especially since martians don't go away until you kill them all, and if you don't pick up all the drops fast enough, they'll make your death pile despawn.

Back
Top Bottom