1. For issues you find with the Console 1.3 release, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    A FAQ with notes and workarounds can be found HERE. Please check this first to see if this helps your issue.

tModLoader A* Pathfinding

Discussion in 'Works-in-Progress' started by Dark-Assassin, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Dark-Assassin

Dark-Assassin Skeletron Prime

A* Pathfinding
    This mod adds Pathfinding to Enemy and Town NPCs.
    That means they will be smarter and navigate the world and try to avoid obsticals to try and get to their target location.

NPCs will only search for a path within a distance of 120 blocks as enemy ones will usually despawn outside 125 blocks.
    They will also not search through areas they cannot normally nativate, such as sky for gravity NPCs and outside the water for Fish, and places they won't fit through.
    Some however will jump up platforms to get to their target location. Some can't go through platforms at all. (I'm looking at you most Demon Eyes)
    Slimes, Jellyfish and Derplings are excluded as they are considered dumb.
    Bosses and NPCs that pass through tiles are also excluded.
    Any modded NPC that does not use a vanilla AI style that's allowed in this mod, they will be excluded too.
    AI Styles that are allowed: 2,3,5,14,16,17,22,25,26,38,40,44,49,62,85,90,91,96,97 (You can look them up on the wiki)

There have been limits I've hit due to how things work in vanilla:
    You can configure which Heuristic you prefer:
    Planned Features:
    Known Bugs:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. Alucard3598

Alucard3598 Steampunker

Oooh nice a pathfinding mod! Nice to see a mod that does this.
    On that note I would not like to see the magic missile changed as I prefer moving it with the mouse. Perhaps you could add a new weapon that does that instead?
  3. Dark-Assassin

Either new weapon or a config option. If a new weapon, it'd be based off Chlorophyte and be crafted with the Magic Missile.
    Alucard3598 likes this.
  4. Moon_Man

Moon_Man Terrarian

now this is how you do an enhancement mod
    toughens the game, but not too much
    makes it realistic, not painful
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Oct 13, 2017 ---
    btw download's :red:ed
  5. Virukino

Virukino Terrarian

Seems very interesting!
  6. Dark-Assassin

Update Released

Quite Multiplayer Friendly now, but unfortunately still haven't worked on the first known bug yet.
  7. FinalDawn

FinalDawn Terrarian

keep it up man
  8. Dark-Assassin

Update Released
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  9. Dark-Assassin

Hotfix Released
  10. NKSHV

NKSHV Terrarian

What about performance impact? It will be very convenient to know would your PC handle this mod or better heuristic method directly from this thread
  11. Dark-Assassin

I've only properly tested on my PC and have no slower ones to try on. I've found that having Global Generation disabled and the heuristic to Manhattan, which both are defaults, is best for performance.
    I've also saved as much performance as I can with local generation by not regenerating nodes that are already generated and leave the modified tiles for GlobalTile and GlobalWall to handle. If you have the debug enabled, you should be able to see this. However, it'll also check any tiles such as long grass, vines and other similar things too.
  12. NKSHV

NKSHV Terrarian

Did you test how much it affects FPS compared to vanilla?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  13. Dark-Assassin

No change. Although the game is locked at 60FPS, I haven't seen it drop below.
    Feel free to try it for yourself. I really have nobody else giving me feedback on things like that.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  14. Pop000100

Pop000100 Terrarian

im pretty sure if frame skip is off it is uncapped
  15. Lunatic Lobbyist

Lunatic Lobbyist The Destroyer

I assume this would conflict with other mods that edit general NPC AI/movement? I believe mods like Terraria Overhaul edit AI -- not sure if any compatibility has been tested. If not, I can give it a try.

Other than that, this mod looks too good to be true. :)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  16. Dark-Assassin

It shouldn't but I wouldn't expect every mod to work fine with this. It already works fine with my Enemy Modifiers mod.
  17. Lunatic Lobbyist

Lunatic Lobbyist The Destroyer

Sounds good. I'll be trying it with Terraria Overhaul and some other big mods in the next few days and let you know what I find. Thanks for the reply.
  18. Dark-Assassin

Most enemies in Thorum won't work as they seem to have copy+pasted AI from vanilla, so I'll need to whitelist them manually. Some from Spirit Mod and GRealm too. I'm not touching Tremor with any of my mods mainly because there's just too much.
    Lunatic Lobbyist likes this.
  19. Remixful

Remixful Terrarian

Zombies not leaving when it turns day.
  20. Dark-Assassin

Thanks for the report