Game Mechanics A pause button?

SpellingSword

Terrarian
I've been checking whether there is a pause button/mod since the dawn of time and still no luck :(

Autopause is way too limiting and building with it on is very inconvenient. Can we get something better, please?

A manual pause button would be really helpful to pause the game with. As I sometimes have to be away from the screen if I immediately have to go to the bathroom or something as example.

I feel the ESC key should only open up the pause menu. And to open inventory would be the TAB key. So then it wouldn't cause any game confusion.

I think having E open the inventory is fine but Escape should definitely just open the pause menu. PC games have had this feature since at least the mid 1990s and I don't know why it isn't in Terraria.

This post is from 2017 so it is from before the 1.4 era. I don't fully remember how the settings behaved before then.

But it is worth noting that opening the settings will always pause the game, regardless of whether autopause is enabled or not. Some players like to have their inventory open while moving around while others prefer for it to pause the game. It should be the same way on consoles and mobile with opening the settings menu.

My point is mostly about the Escape button as a pause button. I mostly play tModLoader 1.3 where there's no dedicated pause button and autopause is required to pause on the settings screen. I think it's great that the settings screen is always paused now (in singleplayer) but I don't think there's a dedicated pause button yet.

Back
Top Bottom