Biomes & Nature a purpose of hell biome

Rumpiel

Terrarian
So, let's get it over with, that biome only has 1 purpose, kill wall of flesh and never combe back, maybe come back for tax collector, but he's pretty crap at this point, maybe even angler, but only people with time do that, it's sad that we got such a waste in biome that has potential, we could get more hell prehardmode bosses making wall of flash a bit harder, giving a biome just to kill 1 boss isn't a pretty neat idea, we could do better.

Just for one boss you say?
So you're going to ignore all the Shadow Chest loot, the Hellforge, the Hellstone to craft the most powerful pre-HM gear and the neat item drops from the enemies like the Death Sickle and the Magma Stone you need for the Fire Gauntlet? And the Fire Feather from the Red Devil that gives you one of the best available wings in early Hardmode? He also drops a decent mage weapon.

I guess the Corruption is just for fighting the EoW then.

While that is not the only purpose, but it's true that most of us visit it a few times around late pre-hardmode, early-hardmode, and then not really. On vanilla at least.

Just compare it with other biomes, like the jungle. you probably spend some time there pre-hardmode, maybe looking for componants of jungle armor, or some of the loot in trees/shrines. and hives to fight queen bee. then in hardmode, after one or more mech bosses down, looking for life fruits, then after all mech bosses are down, for clorophyte maybe, and then for plantera's bulb, and then loot the Lizhard temple... and who knows what else. You also need a bezoar for the ankh shield too.

in comparison, you visit the underworld only a few times, around the same time. mining hellstone maybe, getting some stuff like a hellforge... if you already looted the dungeon, you can get all the stuff from shadow chests too. You might need a hellbridge, but if you have lava vaders, you can go well without building a bridge too. there are a few cool drops, but only a few. after you defeated WoF you can stay a bit and look for the tortured soul and purify him, and that's pretty much it. you can go back later if you want to fight red devils, or if you're looking for adamantite/titanium which likes to spawn near hell, but that's pretty much it... (in vanilla), I think.

Well, the Jungle is literally the biome with the most purposes along the progression, so it really doesn't say all that much if Hell has less purpose than the Jungle. When I compare Hell to e.g. the Desert it is a bit more similar in content. They both contain some nice loot and give access to a new set of armor/weapons. Then they both are relevant again in early HM for some new stuff. I'd say that Hell is more relevant than the Desert in pre-HM due to it featuring the WoF, shadow chests and Hellstone compared to the Desert's fossils and maybe the extractinator, but the other way around in HM because the Sandstorm event and the Sand Elemental miniboss. Overall they're pretty similar in how much purpose they have.
I just wonder why Hell of all biomes is viewed as so purposeless? It has plenty of loot, a new ore to mine and even a bossfight, which you likely revisit quite a few times if you want to craft several of the accesories made of the emblems. That's more than can be said about the snow/ice biome and especially the ocean, which really only features Duke Fishron as a major thing of interest. If there's any biome out there that is only relevant for one single bossfight, it's definitely the ocean.

Well, the Jungle is literally the biome with the most purposes along the progression, so it really doesn't say all that much if Hell has less purpose than the Jungle. When I compare Hell to e.g. the Desert it is a bit more similar in content. They both contain some nice loot and give access to a new set of armor/weapons. Then they both are relevant again in early HM for some new stuff. I'd say that Hell is more relevant than the Desert in pre-HM due to it featuring the WoF, shadow chests and Hellstone compared to the Desert's fossils and maybe the extractinator, but the other way around in HM because the Sandstorm event and the Sand Elemental miniboss. Overall they're pretty similar in how much purpose they have.
I just wonder why Hell of all biomes is viewed as so purposeless? It has plenty of loot, a new ore to mine and even a bossfight, which you likely revisit quite a few times if you want to craft several of the accesories made of the emblems. That's more than can be said about the snow/ice biome and especially the ocean, which really only features Duke Fishron as a major thing of interest. If there's any biome out there that is only relevant for one single bossfight, it's definitely the ocean.
Putting it like that, there are indeed several biomes that doesn't have much interesting stuff so you would really revisit it much. The desert is definitely like that too (but maybe that will change with all the updates it seems to get in 1.4)
The ocean doesn't have that much reason to check either besides fishing and stuff... but, yeah, it's not only hell that feels kind of lacking... but that still doesn't means that theunderworld is a biome we vist that many times in a playthough.

I think the post does over simplify the problem but that doesn't mean he isnt correct or that this issue does not exist. Given that you can fight the WoF and look for shadow chests or do hellstone crafting,all those activities are usually done in the relatively same window of game progression and after that theres hardly anything to go back to in Hell especially hard mode.

There is a lot of potential and unused space within the Underworld which could easily be used as new areas to be intended for Hard-Mode exploration to warrant going back later in the game. A few basic ideas would obviously be Biomes ,Structures or dungeon that would include new items and perhaps a HM Side Boss.

I stress any content added would/should be optional. Its important the content is accessible and encourages exploring but also not pressure the player to be forced into doing it either.

Putting it like that, there are indeed several biomes that doesn't have much interesting stuff so you would really revisit it much. The desert is definitely like that too (but maybe that will change with all the updates it seems to get in 1.4)
The ocean doesn't have that much reason to check either besides fishing and stuff... but, yeah, it's not only hell that feels kind of lacking... but that still doesn't means that theunderworld is a biome we vist that many times in a playthough.
Everyone is forgetting that the ocean has two more uses... The dang place is a great building destination and is the place where you find the angler, which gives you some of the most useful accessories in the game, mostly some of the cellphones ingredients like the sextant and the fish finder. Plus, there is a lot of water here which can be used to get obsidian for things like the obsidian skull which can be later used for a obsidian shield or lava waders. This is just how I see the ocean biome, besides what I mentioned it is pretty useless ;(

Everyone is forgetting that the ocean has two more uses... The dang place is a great building destination and is the place where you find the angler, which gives you some of the most useful accessories in the game, mostly some of the cellphones ingredients like the sextant and the fish finder. Plus, there is a lot of water here which can be used to get obsidian for things like the obsidian skull which can be later used for a obsidian shield or lava waders. This is just how I see the ocean biome, besides what I mentioned it is pretty useless ;(

You can build anywhere besides the Corruption/Crimson and where people choose to build really depends on what theme they want to go with. The angler is just a one-time thing. Go there once, wake him up and you're done. He really doesn't add anything to the biome. And who in their right mind uses an ocean to make obsidian? Seems like a huge amount of effort to get the lava up there, considering anyone can make infinite water with a single bucket anyway.

Well, you can build in the corruption/crimson too though. NPCs won't move in, but it can be useful to have a base there too, just in case. or if you just want to build stuff there because of the places' unique atmosphere.

Angler is really at the ocean, but that doesn't means you have to go back there after. although it's usually good to have a house at the beach too. And, I think the easiest way of getting obsidian is at the level where lava starts to appear. there's still water around that level, so, just send a pool of water into a pool of lava, and that's it. You can mine it with bombs too.

But we're getting somewhat off-topic, since OP talked about the underworld...?

Ye sry
Well, you can build in the corruption/crimson too though. NPCs won't move in, but it can be useful to have a base there too, just in case. or if you just want to build stuff there because of the places' unique atmosphere.

Angler is really at the ocean, but that doesn't means you have to go back there after. although it's usually good to have a house at the beach too. And, I think the easiest way of getting obsidian is at the level where lava starts to appear. there's still water around that level, so, just send a pool of water into a pool of lava, and that's it. You can mine it with bombs too.

But we're getting somewhat off-topic, since OP talked about the underworld...?

Back
Top Bottom