Mobile A review of the SteelSeries Nimbus (iPhone)

kingklutz

Retinazer
I will edit this occasionally and make it pretty. Any questions about the product please ask and I will add to this post.

Name: Nimbus
Price: £35-40 (around $50)

D19364_C5-_DB29-4843-90_FC-_DC403_F7_B0_A80.jpg

The controller feels very well made, it has weight to it, about the same an Xbox One controller. It feels great in my hand, the positioning is comfortable and almost natural. The buttons press nicely, especially the triggers up top, none of that clicky nonsense like the Xbox one controller. The Dpad doesn’t feel cheap either.

The only problem I find is the left stick and Dpad are the wrong way round but that’s just me because I’m used to the Xbox controller. However it does not put me off using it.

It also looks great. A simple design slightly smaller than the Xbox controller and even uses the same ABXY layout. The charging port for the iPhone version is an iPhone lead... so expect to go through a ton of leads like a normal iPhone lol. This is not included. Literally the only thing in the box is the controller... and an instruction manual.

Ps. The map button is down on the d-pad. Just figured this out

Playing terraria (and other games)

As soon as you’re connected to your iPhone the controller works straight away. The controls you need to know are at the bottom and works in the menu too which is handy. The controls are responsive and will take getting used to as you need to remember what button is used for what. Instead of the good old finger we usually use.

Unfortunately you have to stand next to a chest to open. Same goes with activating switches and clocks. Or you could use your almighty finger (Duh)
Same goes for building. It’s easier to build with your finger than the controller as it’s difficult to positioning the blocks where you want them.
Another thing I found is when you are at the bottom of your inventory or chest the bottom line doesn’t show up. You have to manually scroll with your finger to get that bottom line, slightly annoying but only a little inconvenient
I tried... I really did
1360_D5_A8-_B165-4_A0_F-_B01_A-_AA6565643831.png

Fighting and stuff
I can’t tell how much easier it is to fight enemies when your thumb and finger aren’t in the way. Not only that, you can change between weapon SO MUCH QUICKER. Instead of doing that awkward-

“hold on a minute mate, I’ve got to choose my other weapon/ healing item so I can kill you” *moves thumb/finger to top of screen, character stops moving, selects items, dies*.

Aiming is a little better aswell as it’s constant and rather accurate instead of a sweaty thumb making combat smoother and less intrusive.

Final thoughts

The controller feels well made and you pay what you get. It’s a good weight and feels comfortable. The battery life isn’t too bad either. Haven’t charged it yet despite getting it yesterday. Works very well with terraria and other games like the rockstar mobile games (works very well like t wa shade specifically for them games) and assoluto racing (just not in the menus).

Rating: 4.5/5

I’d recommend if you have a spare £35.

Last edited:
I will edit this occasionally and make it pretty. Any questions about the product please ask and I will add to this post.

Name: Nimbus
Price: £40-45 (around $55)

D19364_C5-_DB29-4843-90_FC-_DC403_F7_B0_A80.jpg

The controller feels very well made, it has weight to it, about the same an Xbox One controller. It feels great in my hand, the positioning is comfortable and almost natural. The buttons press nicely, especially the triggers up top, none of that clicky nonsense like the Xbox one controller. The Dpad doesn’t feel cheap either.

The only problem I find is the left stick and Dpad are the wrong way round but that’s just me because I’m used to the Xbox controller. However it does not put me off using it.

It also looks great. A simple design slightly smaller than the Xbox controller and even uses the same ABXY layout. The charging port for the iPhone version is an iPhone lead... so expect to go through a ton of leads like a normal iPhone lol. This is not included. Literally the only thing in the box is the controller... and an instruction manual.

Playing terraria (and other games)

As soon as you’re connected to your iPhone the controller works straight away. The controls you need to know are at the bottom and works in the menu too which is handy. The controls are responsive and will take getting used to as you need to remember what button is used for what. Instead of the good old finger we usually use.

Unfortunately you have to stand next to a chest to open. Same goes with activating switches and clocks. Or you could use your almighty finger (Duh)
Same goes for building. It’s easier to build with your finger than the controller as it’s difficult to positioning the blocks where you want them.
Another thing I found is when you are at the bottom of your inventory or chest the bottom line doesn’t show up. You have to manually scroll with your finger to get that bottom line, slightly annoying but only a little inconvenient
I tried... I really did
1360_D5_A8-_B165-4_A0_F-_B01_A-_AA6565643831.png

Fighting and stuff
I can’t tell how much easier it is to fight enemies when your thumb and finger aren’t in the way. Not only that, you can change between weapon SO MUCH QUICKER. Instead of doing that awkward-

“hold on a minute mate, I’ve got to choose my other weapon/ healing item so I can kill you” *moves thumb/finger to top of screen, character stops moving, selects items, dies*.

Aiming is a little better aswell as it’s constant and rather accurate instead of a sweaty thumb making combat smoother and less intrusive.

Final thoughts

The controller feels well made and you pay what you get. It’s a good weight and feels comfortable. The battery life isn’t too bad either. Haven’t charged it yet despite getting it yesterday. Works very well with terraria and other games like the rockstar mobile games (works very well like t wa shade specifically for them games) and assoluto racing (just not in the menus).

Rating: 4.5/5

I’d recommend if you have a spare £50.
Nice review @kingklutz, you touched upon a lot of the features that would help others make a decision for a controller. Having a controller to play with on mobile makes a huge difference. It's just so much easier.

I do wish the iOS controllers would allow precise placement of blocks and such. I hear that the Android controllers are able to do that, but something prevents the iOS controllers from having that capability.

Apple is just crap tbh. Too stingy with their hardware. However this is a controller good enough for me. Playing bully atm and it’s perfect. It’s like playing it on the 360 but with better graphics somehow

Back
Top Bottom