A Road Well Traveled - Terraria: Journey's End Launches on Xbox & PlayStation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know if its just me but sometimes when i move the joystick twice in a direction in quick succession it will move in the same direction a third or fourth time and it keeps messing me up when im trying to use my inventory or build something.

what special seeds came in this console update? I'm trying the mk10, but I fall into a normal world

the drunk world, not the bees, and for the worthy seeds are the only ones available at the moment.

the 10th anniversary seed was added with the final update, which we do not have, yet.

The textures are worse than they were before, nowhere near the quality of PC, grainy and too small. 1.2 looked better on console. Is there going to be a fix for this?

The UI is WAY too complex, and still doesn't give you what you want, for example:

1. R1 doesn't use items anymore. Seriously.
  2. I can't bind items to the D-pad anymore. I'm hoping this is a mistake on my end
  3. I can't bind "grapple" to L1, which is how I've played it for years
  4. There's no way to zoom that I can find, meaning that it's not there or the UI is so bad that I can't find it
There's probably way more than this, but I've only just turned it on. To not let people use the controls they want is mental.

[EDIT] I've just turned it off. I had a multiplayer session planned on Sunday that I've just cancelled. This is terrible, it looks awful and handles even worse.

all you need to do is flip the "switch R1/R2 and L1/L2" function on the control options, that'll allow you to bind things to L1/R1.

i was confused about that earlier since i bind jump to L1 and use item to R1.

as for binding things to the D-pad, they have hotbar shortcuts now, i used the classic setting and customized as i saw fit for myself, from there.

after flipping the shoulder button functions, R2+square automatically selects the first item in my hotbar, i didn't bother setting any others, cause i prefer keeping things simple for myself.

zooming, using the classic setting with the flipped shoulder buttons, is R2+up/down.

again, you can customize these, i believe.

people just need to spend more time in the controls section, there are A LOT of new bindings, it can be kinda overwhelming, but you should be able to customize things the way you want, for the most part.

close-copy of Redigit’s Pick
That was never any good anyway, it was a PC gamer's idea of how to play on console. We had controllers before PC, it should have been modelled on that.
folks try out Advanced,
I did, it's completely backward. Why we can't just use what we're used to is beyond me. You didn't replace ASDW with UHJK for movement on PC 1.4. These changes are just as mental.
dpad is gone
Then so am I. I'll still play on PC, as I have a few adventure maps planned and I like the creative aspect. But as for console, it's over for me if there's no D-pad binding. Who the hell thought that was a good idea to take it away? It's a staple console mechanic.

For all the colossal balls-ups that Pipeworks made, at least they tried to keep the playability aspect of the game (don't get me wrong; they were way out of their depth, and you were right to remove them).

It feels like the plan for 1.4 was to attract new console players rather than please the existing ones.

Please bring back 1.3, or atleast the UI. 1.4 is unplayble on controller. You can't actually change the controlls only button layout. I can't choose if I want to see the menus at all times, or if I want my map on my touchpad button. It's sad this is even a console update when it's really only playble with a mouse, and keyboard. I don't even have the simple option for menu opacity nonethenless an option for the clasaic controls, or classic UI. I'm forced to use the cluttery Pages, to look at them constantly without being able to navigate them like before. Every button has changed, and complicated/useless things have been added. Theres no option for the normal UI, or controls, and I will not play the game until there is. Theres no reason that all my controls had to change along with all my menus. I can't even trash an item without picking it up, the controls are not customizable only the layout is. This can not be called an update optimized for console, and it was not worth paitently waiting for. How do you remove every good feature about console/controller, and than overcomplicate the layout without adding any customizablity? I honestly hope I get banned from this forum so I don't have to ever worrt about a Terraria upsate ruining the game again. Fix the update or give me back 1.3 please.

Please bring back 1.3, or atleast the UI. 1.4 is unplayble on controller. You can't actually change the controlls only button layout. I can't choose if I want to see the menus at all times, or if I want my map on my touchpad button. It's sad this is even a console update when it's really only playble with a mouse, and keyboard. I don't even have the simple option for menu opacity nonethenless an option for the clasaic controls, or classic UI. I'm forced to use the cluttery Pages, to look at them constantly without being able to navigate them like before. Every button has changed, and complicated/useless things have been added. Theres no option for the normal UI, or controls, and I will not play the game until there is. Theres no reason that all my controls had to change along with all my menus. I can't even trash an item without picking it up, the controls are not customizable only the layout is. This can not be called an update optimized for console, and it was not worth paitently waiting for. How do you remove every good feature about console/controller, and than overcomplicate the layout without adding any customizablity? I honestly hope I get banned from this forum so I don't have to ever worrt about a Terraria upsate ruining the game again. Fix the update or give me back 1.3 please.

well, you're living up to your name, aren't you...

what does that even mean, "you can't customize the controls, only the layout".

...that IS customizing the controls?

i don't see how that is any different than PC... they map controls to different buttons... that's what we do.

it's what we did with the previous versions, but on a smaller and more limited scale.

i've got most of my controls back the way i liked them, the only real difference being the map, obviously.

there are a lot more additional functions, yeah, and it'll take a bit of getting used to... but that's to be expected with so many changes.

it's like life, things can't stay the same forever, you have to adjust.

spend some time experimenting, adjust, and i'm sure most people will be playing the game with little to no issue.

i've been away from the game for ages, but i'm already back to my old level of skill at it.

@ED209 the option for swapping the shoulder buttons should be in the controls section of the options menu.

what do you mean there is no "build mode"? you mean the crosshair? just press down on R3.

also, no... i'm not "switching between control schemes".

just select the classic setting, then choose "edit", and whatever you change in there, then apply, will be set as your custom control scheme.

i feel like people are panicking over the change and just failing to adapt, i get that it's a lot to take in, but i feel like it's simpler than people think if they just take some time to explore the options more.

i mean, i hate drastic change, and i haven't touched the game in a long time, but it didn't take me all that long to explore the options, experiment, and adapt to them.

most of my controls are back to the way i had them, other than the map being R2+right on the d-pad for me, which is not that big a deal.

Last edited:
Iwell, you're living up to your name, aren't you...

i don't see how that is any different than PC... they map controls to different buttons... that's what we do.

it's what we did with the previous versions, but on a smaller and more limited scale.

i've got most of my controls back the way i liked them, the only real difference being the map, obviously.

there are a lot more additional functions, yeah, and it'll take a bit of getting used to... but that's to be expected with so many changes.

spend some time experimenting, adjust, and i'm sure most people will be playing the game with little to no issue.

i've been away from the game for ages, but i'm already back to my old level of skill at it.
Well customizing controls isn't just the layout. I'll list a few examples of things you can not change that you should be able to. A. You can't choose to toggle or hold aim. B. You can't actually choose to use a cursor to navigate the menus only moving 1 by 1 with the joystick, or buttons. C. You litteraly can't even put the PS touchpad as the Map. D. Theres not option to return to the actual hotbar when you're in your inventory (as in if uou close the inventory you will be stuck there unless you have bindings for the hotbar spot). You have to have the controls the game starts with or you can't play.it's not customizable only the layout is. Yes theres a difference between customizable layout, and customizable controls. Theres no option for toggle on several of the buttons, theres no alternatives, and theres no customization. Several games give you customizable controls. Example,minecraft lets you choose toggle or hold shift, not just what button you have it on. Plus on pc you actually get to toggle the menus, and your inventory (not just look at them 24/7).

well, you're living up to your name, aren't you...

@ED209 the option for swapping the shoulder buttons should be in the controls section of the options menu.

what do you mean there is no "build mode"? you mean the crosshair? just press down on R3.

also, no... i'm not "switching between control schemes".

just select the classic setting, then choose "edit", and whatever you change in there, then apply, will be set as your custom control scheme.

i feel like people are panicking over the change and just failing to adapt, i get that it's a lot to take in, but i feel like it's simpler than people think if they just take some time to explore the options more.

i mean, i hate drastic change, and i haven't touched the game in a long time, but it didn't take me all that long to explore the options, experiment, and adapt to them.

most of my controls are back to the way i had them, other than the map being R2+right on the d-pad for me, which is not that big a deal.
I think he means that he can't have his own custom button layout, only presets.

Well customizing controls isn't just the layout. I'll list a few examples of things you can not change that you should be able to. A. You can't choose to toggle or hold aim. B. You can't actually choose to use a cursor to navigate the menus only moving 1 by 1 with the joystick, or buttons. C. You litteraly can't even put the PS touchpad as the Map. D. Theres not option to return to the actual hotbar when you're in your inventory (as in if uou close the inventory you will be stuck there unless you have bindings for the hotbar spot). You have to have the controls the game starts with or you can't play.it's not customizable only the layout is. Yes theres a difference between customizable layout, and customizable controls. Theres no option for toggle on several of the buttons, theres no alternatives, and theres no customization. Several games give you customizable controls. Example,minecraft lets you choose toggle or hold shift, not just what button you have it on. Plus on pc you actually get to toggle the menus, and your inventory (not just look at them 24/7).

toggle or hold aim?

you mean changing to the crosshair that stayed where you left it?

yes, you can... i have it set as R3, pushing down on the right stick, just like before.

i don't recall EVER having a cursor on console for the menus... so why is that suddenly an issue now?

if you wanna quickly switch between the windows, use the shoulder buttons.

you can change the control for the map, maybe the touchpad is no longer an option, but again, it's not THAT big a deal.

"you have to have the controls the game starts with or you can't play" is NOT true...

select a default setting, then choose "edit" to customize them however you want.

i think what you're doing is only selecting between the defaults... you're failing to acknowledge the "edit" button, which should be ABOVE where those are.

@SaltySaltine

ok, i will walk you through this...

go to "settings".

go over to "controller".

select "EDIT" on controller bindings... it's the first option, ABOVE "scheme"

you can change the controls as you please.

it sounds like you're only changing the "scheme" and ignoring the "EDIT" button above that option.

as for anyone else, if you're used to having actions bound to L1/R1... look BELOW "scheme", there is an option you can flip.

Last edited:
I think he means that he can't have his own custom button layout, only presets.

You can remap custom button layouts.

This whole thing is moronic, there's not even a build mode anymore.

Except there is. You can (Y on Advanced) swap between inventory and world while leaving an inventory overlay (which also makes the current row selected in the inventory work like a hotbar via shoulder buttons).

I did, it's completely backward. Why we can't just use what we're used to is beyond me

Define what you find to be "completely backward" - one or two examples would be great.
That was never any good anyway, it was a PC gamer's idea of how to play on console

"Classic" is as close to "Classic Console" as you can get and still have all the new things - Classic Console was what was added in 1.3 to get as close as possible to 1.2-era controls for those that hated Red's Pick/1.3.... but that is backwards too?
But as for console, it's over for me if there's no D-pad binding.

If you need it that badly, bind hotbar slots to those dpad presses?

There is no way to "extend" the hotbar if that is what you are after - but you have QH/QM/QB that takes care of potion slots at least.

Can’t say I’m too surprised lol, all that was missing to make this pretty much just like the 1.3 release was a game breaking bug and, at the very least on xbox, lo and behold you literally can’t even start the game without deleting all of your save data. For all the hype people were giving DR for making mobile 1.4 they definitely didn’t do as great with console.

Can’t say I’m too surprised lol, all that was missing to make this pretty much just like the 1.3 release was a game breaking bug and, at the very least on xbox, lo and behold you literally can’t even start the game without deleting all of your save data. For all the hype people were giving DR for making mobile 1.4 they definitely didn’t do as great with console.

what is the issue here, again?

cause i'm mostly just seeing people complain about controls... which is easily remedied if they actually took the time to look at the options.

what is the issue here, again?

cause i'm mostly just seeing people complain about controls... which is easily remedied if they actually took the time to look at the options.
It’s an infinite sync issue that’s only present on xbox atm, really all there is to it, it just says “syncing files” for as long as you’re willing to wait cause if you’re on xbox you’re not even getting to see the main menu. Pretty much all of their replies on Twitter is just a workaround that doesn’t work

It’s an infinite sync issue that’s only present on xbox atm, really all there is to it, it just says “syncing files” for as long as you’re willing to wait cause if you’re on xbox you’re not even getting to see the main menu. Pretty much all of their replies on Twitter is just a workaround that doesn’t work

i have to wonder how that even got past microsoft's certification, then. :dryadwhat:

well once that is fixed, it should be fine... i'm having no issues on ps4 except a bit of expected wonky behavior on some really old worlds.

but since i only really kept old stuff for sentimentality, and plan on starting over with journey mode characters/worlds, it doesn't bother me.

construir com inventário aberto é cheio de bugs, apenas se constrói onde o cursor vai, como você desativa essa função?

so far almost no problems, smoothest launch of a big update ever by far for terraria, only problems so far, I occasionally get lag and frame drops on the PS5, wish I could use touchpad to open map again, I miss D-pad quick binds but keeping inventory open and being able to select and use item not on hotbar is nice, I just reduce UI scale a little to see more of the screen and do as such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom