Portfolio/Multi-Topic A slew of QoL Change and Item Suggestions in light of recent news.

IndigoRage

Terrarian
I just saw the teasers for the Don't Starve crossover update meaning another small update in the vein of the Old One's Army is coming. I've compiled a list of "I wish I had X" "I wish I had Y" from discussions with my friends over that period of time. I know it's probably small and much of it is probably already finished, but I'm taking my shot anyway.

1. An item (or items) similar to the Small Sand Pail that allow the player to place background objects that are currently irreplaceable outsize map editing software. No world can truly feel completely fresh, but once these little decorations are gone, they're gone forever. Seeing the Small Sand Pail in 1.4 gives me a perfect example for how this type of item could work. The scope could even reach to items to help place specific background plants, or various stalactites/stalagmites etc. And there's all kinds of unique themed pots that you can't use for decoration as well. I know we can just use map editing software, but being able to add these touches to my builds in-game would be a big favor. My friends really want to be able to use the background tents for instance. Think along the lines of how all the background walls were made craftable via ecto mist.

2. A way to grow tall trees outside world generation. Same as above. Useful decoration that only exists on world gen in the current release.

3. The ability to craft hardmode fishing crates into prehardmode ones. Crates are a decorative background item in addition to a goodie bag. Being in hardmode shouldn't force you to change worlds to have access to this decorative object.

4. An item that functions similarly to a spelunker potion that allows you to see Corruption/Crimson/Hallow blocks highlighted through walls to make it easier to purify without risk of it coming back.

5. On the very extreme end and probably not possible to implement outside a large scale expansion: An endgame item that does for building what The Grand Design does for wiring. Think Drill Containment Unit tier.

6. A renewable way to obtain cloud blocks. One possibility would be wet bomb + lava source = steamy bomb. The steamy bomb would drop cloud when detonated like the dirt bomb.

7. A renewable way to obtain hive blocks. In one world I was having extremely bad luck with drops and I ended up cleaning almost my entire jungle of hive blocks just to make abeeminations.

8. Doesn't necessarily have to be easy to do per se, but it would be nice to be able to obtain any pyramid loot you didn't obtain (including the banners, this goes for sky island banners too). Pharaoh costume is a bit of a troll to the players, I know, but even in worlds where you get sandstorm or carpet sometimes you like to get pharaoh to complete the collection. Fart in a Jar is about as good as Sandstorm and simply requires a Cloud in a Bottle and a Rare Drop. Perhaps a rare drop could be added to the desert and the tundra for players to craft their respective bottles. The Blizzard in a Bottle is obtainable from Ice biome crates so maybe these could just be added to the desert crate loot pool even?

9. I think it's clear by this point that a lot of my QoL wishes revolve around making as many things in the game renewable and farmable as possible. I'm a huge stickler for staying in one world. I know this section is a huge ask, but I'd suggest full parity between crates and chests (or for a larger variety of crates to be added) to fill in the weird cracks where some items are unobtainable for crates when it would be normal for every other item in its pool to be. If not with the exact item, then in spirit like how Hermes Boots can be substituted for the Sailfish Boots. Generally, a lot of these being hard to do would be fine to me. Like how you have to wait until hardmode to have a chance to get both world evils in a normal world. Alternate colors of Dungeon Bricks, renewable Dungeon Furniture sets, renewable Obsidian Furniture sets, access to paintings, access to the Sharpening Station, statues, etc, etc, etc. Basically I want to be able to do most things I could do with a well built Journey Mode character in one world with great effort. It's not that I want to hoard everything, I just like having access to certain items if I should want them in my worlds in the more standard game modes.

10. A way to encounter Tortured Souls after the Tax Collector has been saved. You can softlock yourself out of being able to complete the bestiary if you don't kill Tortured Souls before saving the Tax Collector.

11. Make the Tax Collector more useful. By the point in the game you have access to the Tax Collector, ~10 gold over 4 days is pretty small and it's even less meaningful in harder difficulties. At his current usefulness level he's basically a filler NPC to build pylons with.

12. Update 1.1 hardmode ore armor tools and weapons in the style of the 1.2 armors. They are some of the few things still in the game's old style and they look really out of place (more Mythril and Cobalt, less so with Adamantite). Not really necessary with texture packs these days though. I'd still like to see how the actual art team would do it if they had the chance.

Edit: 13. An easier way to skip Solar Eclipses and Blood Moons, (or just events in general) without bumping into the Enchanted Sundial's 7 day limit. I understand the logic behind events, but as someone who likes building without needing to be in god mode in journey mode to do it, Blood Moons become more annoying the more frequently you get them. It's an unwelcome 9 minute distraction which is nice to have when I'm farming or to add some threat to the early game, but when I'm trying to actually build it's just a massive pain.

That's about it that I can remember off the top of my head. I might edit with more if they come to me or if anything in replies is also appropriate for this list.

Last edited:
Good suggestions! I especially like the steamy bomb,it's so creative. Maybe make a hive bomb to fix the hive issue?
Generally the more renewableness the better, but I'm fine with leaving a few really rare items in the game like the Terragrim. It's not key to progression, but when you get it it's so hype.

I only really disagree with the 4th point, I think the clentaminator should just be buffed instead. Many times after I purify a biome, a few game days later it just spreads back. If the purification worked diffrently, or lasted longer, that would be great. And a potion just for detecting biome blocks will rarely be used.

(BTW about the Sharpening Station, the Merchant sells it during Hardmode now :D )

Maybe make a hive bomb to fix the hive issue?
That'd be one way to do it. My friend suggested making the naturally spawning beehive background objects drop 2-3 hive blocks.
Generally the more renewableness the better, but I'm fine with leaving a few really rare items in the game like the Terragrim. It's not key to progression, but when you get it it's so hype.
Oh, I am too. It's not the end of the world for me to not get something like that in every world. After all I've been playing Terraria since the beginning and it never bothered me enough to make me not want to play. I was so hype when they added the ability to craft the natural background walls using ecto mist in 1.4.
I only really disagree with the 4th point, I think the clentaminator should just be buffed instead. Many times after I purify a biome, a few game days later it just spreads back. If the purification worked diffrently, or lasted longer, that would be great. And a potion just for detecting biome blocks will rarely be used.
Any solution that makes late game purification and world modification more powerful. The Clentaminator is way better than mining it out by hand or using powder or holy water, but it still feels really weak and overly expensive. Especially when missing just one or two tiles in your sweep can re-contaminate everything you just spent your time and money purifying in a very short amount of time! Maybe something more like spectre goggles where you can adjust which biome related blocks you want to be highlighted so it's more useful than just crimson/corruption/hallow?

Generally great suggestions, I agree with most of them!
Maybe would just add a few things, like

regarding point 1, how about making the player-placed deco versions re-mineable? what I mean, so they don't just disappear if mined. so you don't have to craft another if you decided to place it elsewhere instead, just like with any furnitures. basically just what Chad'sFurni mod does.
Ah, and, could we make gravestones not force-place themselves over the naturally generated background objects? you carefully implement it into your house, only to have it irreversibly desroyed by a gravestone you dropped when the goblin army arrived... ugh...

I also agree with the potion to detect spreading biome blocks. I do think I said a suggestion like that somewhere before too XD
I think it's fine being a potion, it's not that a potion needs to be super useful for everyone. like, think about archery potion on a mage or melee playthrough. it's pretty useless, but has its use if you play an archer.

on a side note, I think that the game gives you the tortured soul's bestiary entry if you purify him (turning him back into the tax collector) much like it gives you entries like dungeon guardian if you defeated skeletron, and thus, can't encounter dungeon guardians in that world anymore (plus few players bother trying to kill a dungeon guardian anyway)
the tax collector is pretty useless right now though indeed. you can easily get like 2 plat a day when it's a solar eclipse, even on normal mode for example. farming money in hardmode usually isn't an issue, and the tax he collects is only a tiny addition to that. to be honest, I usually forget to even pick it up XD
Not sure how to fix that though.

Don't even have much ideas out of the blue what else to suggest that's on these lines, (like, no bosses and whatnot, but QoL stuff and things for builders and the like)

There could be a few other nice stuff too though maybe not that far from these, such as vanity versions of some things like armor bonuses. like the forbidden sigil of the forbidden armor. it looks really cool, but you can only have it if you're wearing that armor...

I dunno if any of these suggestions will get implemented though, but it would be awesome.
Great suggestions.

regarding point 1, how about making the player-placed deco versions re-mineable? what I mean, so they don't just disappear if mined. so you don't have to craft another if you decided to place it elsewhere instead, just like with any furnitures. basically just what Chad'sFurni mod does.
Ah, and, could we make gravestones not force-place themselves over the naturally generated background objects? you carefully implement it into your house, only to have it irreversibly desroyed by a gravestone you dropped when the goblin army arrived... ugh...
Both of these solutions could work. Especially if access to the decorative objects is locked behind crafting so it won't unnecessarily clutter peoples' storage spaces.

Thanks for mentioning armor bonuses as vanity, that's something I hadn't really considered before.

Any solution that makes late game purification and world modification more powerful. The Clentaminator is way better than mining it out by hand or using powder or holy water, but it still feels really weak and overly expensive. Especially when missing just one or two tiles in your sweep can re-contaminate everything you just spent your time and money purifying in a very short amount of time!
Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see the purification mechanic get buffed.

Maybe something more like spectre goggles where you can adjust which biome related blocks you want to be highlighted so it's more useful than just crimson/corruption/hallow?
What if the clentamintor adds an option next to the ruler option, torch god conversion, etc. where it highlights all biome blocks on your screen, each in different color?

Great suggestions! Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought up some QoL tweaks that would be nice to see. Here's a handful of my own:

1. Allow the Rod of Discord to be equipped in and used from the hook slot.
This super-rare drop is great for moving around, but for the more casual gamer like me it's cumbersome to use in combat, especially against the Empress of Light. If it could be equipped like a hook so you can teleport by just hitting [E], that would be pretty cool.​

2. Add a Jungle solution for the Clentaminator.
Even with the tiny bit of protection it gets after defeating bosses, the Jungle is still very vulnerable to evil biome spread. Having a solution that can be purchased from the Steampunker would be extremely helpful, purifying much like the green solution but converting dirt to mud and grasses to jungle grass.​

3. Make statues show up with Dangersense and/or Spelunker potions.
Almost all generated underground objects show up while under the effects of one these potions – except statues. I love finding statues for both collection and for wiring up contraptions, but nothing makes them stand out like so many of the other treasures and dangers you can find underground. Dangersense should make enemy-spawning and boulder-spawning statues show up, while Spelunker should highlight everything else (decorative, critter-spawning, etc.).​

4. Tie sentry summons to a buff and let them last indefinitely unless you de-summon them or quit the game.
Just what it says on the tin. Kinda hard to utilize sentry summons for other invasion events if they're just gonna despawn every two minutes.​

5. Increase the number of effect slots up from 22.
There's little more annoying than having any buffs you've activated get cancelled because you flew too close to a piece of furniture with an AoE, got hit by a projectile that causes a debuff, activated your mount or regular/light pets, or simply summoned a few minions.​

6. While in a Graveyard biome, placing a Key of Night in a chest should spawn the biome mimic of the opposite evil.

While obtaining opposite evil items through making an artificial biome and fishing is fairly straightforward, having to create a biome and wait for biome mimics to spawn can be infuriating. Allowing the graveyard biome to change which evil mimic spawns would be very helpful.​

7. Implement the "Greedy Magnet".
This would be a tinker of the Greedy Ring and Treasure Magnet, allowing maximum S U C C of dropped coins and items while earning and saving money.​

That's it for now . . . might post more later if my brain churns some up.

EDIT: added two more ideas

Last edited:
Great suggestions! Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought up some QoL tweaks that would be nice to see. Here's a handful of my own:

This super-rare drop is great for moving around, but for the more casual gamer like me it's cumbersome to use in combat, especially against the Empress of Light. If it could be equipped like a hook so you can teleport by just hitting [E], that would be pretty cool.​

2. Add a Jungle solution for the Clentaminator.
Even with the tiny bit of protection it gets after defeating bosses, the Jungle is still very vulnerable to evil biome spread. Having a solution that can be purchased from the Steampunker would be extremely helpful, purifying much like the green solution but converting dirt to mud and grasses to jungle grass.​

3. Make statues show up with Dangersense and/or Spelunker potions.
Almost all generated underground objects show up while under the effects of one these potions – except statues. I love finding statues for both collection and for wiring up contraptions, but nothing makes them stand out like so many of the other treasures and dangers you can find underground. Dangersense should make enemy-spawning and boulder-spawning statues show up, while Spelunker should highlight everything else (decorative, critter-spawning, etc.).​

4. Tie sentry summons to a buff and let them last indefinitely unless you de-summon them or quit the game.
Just what it says on the tin. Kinda hard to utilize sentry summons for other invasion events if they're just gonna despawn every two minutes.​

5. Increase the number of effect slots up from 22.
There's little more annoying than having any buffs you've activated get cancelled because you flew too close to a piece of furniture with an AoE, got hit by a projectile that causes a debuff, activated your mount or regular/light pets, or simply summoned a few minions.​

6. While in a Graveyard biome, placing a Key of Night in a chest should spawn the biome mimic of the opposite evil.
While obtaining opposite evil items through making an artificial biome and fishing is fairly straightforward, having to create a biome and wait for biome mimics to spawn can be infuriating. Allowing the graveyard biome to change which evil mimic spawns would be very helpful.​

7. Implement the "Greedy Magnet".
This would be a tinker of the Greedy Ring and Treasure Magnet, allowing maximum S U C C of dropped coins and items while earning and saving money.​

That's it for now . . . might post more later if my brain churns some up.

EDIT: added two more ideas
Wow, these would be GREAT! I would really like to see this in game.

This super-rare drop is great for moving around, but for the more casual gamer like me it's cumbersome to use in combat, especially against the Empress of Light. If it could be equipped like a hook so you can teleport by just hitting [E], that would be pretty cool.
tbh, I don't think it was ever intended to be used in combat before it became the modding community's go-to. That said, you're probably right. Grappling slot is as good as any seeing as at that point you're probably too maneuverable to need grappling hooks in combat anymore. They should really acknowledge this playstyle.
Add a Jungle solution for the Clentaminator.
Even with the tiny bit of protection it gets after defeating bosses, the Jungle is still very vulnerable to evil biome spread. Having a solution that can be purchased from the Steampunker would be extremely helpful, purifying much like the green solution but converting dirt to mud and grasses to jungle grass.
Having recently spent several hours carving a corruption that spawned on top of my jungle out of the jungle surgically, I have to agree. I never really liked that hardmode corruption spread was so rude to the player this way. I know it's intended to be dangerous, but the Jungle is really important.
Make statues show up with Dangersense and/or Spelunker potions.
Almost all generated underground objects show up while under the effects of one these potions – except statues. I love finding statues for both collection and for wiring up contraptions, but nothing makes them stand out like so many of the other treasures and dangers you can find underground. Dangersense should make enemy-spawning and boulder-spawning statues show up, while Spelunker should highlight everything else (decorative, critter-spawning, etc.).
Have got to agree here, often I've needed a statue for a build and the odds of me finding it seemingly depend entirely on whether I manage to randomly break into the right cave.
Tie sentry summons to a buff and let them last indefinitely unless you de-summon them or quit the game.
Just what it says on the tin. Kinda hard to utilize sentry summons for other invasion events if they're just gonna despawn every two minutes.
Definitely true. Outside OOA, Sentry always felt like an auxiliary to actual summons instead of something you can rely on.

While in a Graveyard biome, placing a Key of Night in a chest should spawn the biome mimic of the opposite evil.
While obtaining opposite evil items through making an artificial biome and fishing is fairly straightforward, having to create a biome and wait for biome mimics to spawn can be infuriating. Allowing the graveyard biome to change which evil mimic spawns would be very helpful.
Yes, this in particular great. Only one parity thing missing now I guess. Maybe there should be a way to get the crimson chest in corrupt worlds?

Yes, this in particular great. Only one parity thing missing now I guess. Maybe there should be a way to get the crimson chest in corrupt worlds?
Ah yes, almost forgot about that one.
Some playthrough, you have the opposite evil biome's key drop in your artifical opposite evil biome while farming for stuff.
Yay! A biome chest key! ...except there's no chest it could open in that world, rendering it almost useless, because not even world-hopping can actually make it useful, since it's cursed prior to Plantera being defeated in a world...
The opposite evil's biome chest really should be in the dungeon too...

Though this is a rare moment, when I agree that so many of the ideas posted here are pretty darn good (especially the R.O.D. suggestion 😙👌). An economy is only effective, if it has certain limitations; being able to do "all-the-things" is one of those greedy-gamer desires that's extremely difficult to satiate, until something comes along to show us why it's not always the best play.

Not being able to "do everything", can oftentimes make a gaming session much more meaningful. For example, in most renown, classic RPGs, players are forced to make very difficult and lasting choices, which greatly dictate how the rest of the story plays out, or what items they'll receive, and for that reason, can only achieve one ending/ outcome; if executed well... that's a very good thing.

My point is, a randomly generated world in Terraria, is much like a fingerprint, or individual person. The experience a player has on that specific map is supposed to be special, unique even. A player's Terraria Map having "everything", is in my opinion, contrary to the experience that a unique Map is supposed to provide. Even if by some chance, two players have the same exact Map, they'll likely traverse, explore and populate it differently (this is aside from Texture Packs and World Size too).
  • Slime Staff
  • Coin Gun
  • R.O.D.
  • Sandstorm in a Bottle
  • Companion Cube
  • Sugar Glider
  • Universal Pylon
  • Golden Critters
  • Sanguine Staff 😞🤷‍♂️
  • Colored Dungeons
  • World Seeds/ Special Seeds
Not being able to "have it all" is a feature, not an oversight, IMHO. I really don't think that should change, even if I understand the greedy-gamer desire. Sometimes, when something is difficult to obtain... well, I'm sure I don't need to explain the rest... 🙏 😇

An economy is only effective, if it has certain limitations; being able to do "all-the-things" is one of those greedy-gamer desires that's extremely difficult to satiate, until something comes along to show us why it's not always the best play.
Just to clarify some things and make my position clear: If I really wanted to be "greedy" I'd just go to another world. My desire to maintain that unique and special experience is why I don't do that. A currently existing example of the kind of things I mean to suggest: Alternate world evil is only obtainable in hardmode through seeds purchased in graveyard and completely inaccessible before that point. In some genres this point may be applicable, but in this case I don't see how being completely barred from ever obtaining certain things in your world in any way is beneficial to the player's experience. For many items in the game, obtaining them by alternate renewable means is already possible and this doesn't decrease my satisfaction upon finding them at all. I'm not proposing every item be just as obtainable as every other item. In fact my proposal for Sandstorm in a Bottle was to have it be crafted from a rare drop, akin to Fart in a Jar. Would that hypothetical drop being rare not also be a part of that varied experience you value?
The experience a player has on that specific map is supposed to be special, unique even. A player's Terraria Map having "everything", is in my opinion, contrary to the experience that a unique Map is supposed to provide.
The map will be special and unique regardless. The world will still generate in the way it generates, the Dungeon will still have a unique color that's much more easy to obtain than any of the others. As you say, the order and way in which you explore it will still be unique. Your list of rare drops will still be rare drops and none of them are applicable to my suggestions bar Sandstorm. (them being more common or accessible wasn't even a suggestion I made) Beside that, every single one of those items bar Sandstorm can already be obtained within any single world. I think there's an element of "removing RNG" that you've read into what I was saying that wasn't actually intended. Minecraft is a major example of a game that very effectively makes its worlds feel unique while also having every item that is obtainable by the player be theoretically obtainable within one world if you look hard enough.

Thoughts? I have a habit of being a bit intense with my wording so I may come off hostile, just know that isn't intended. I just mean to convey that I do understand what I'm asking for, even if we differ on opinion.

Just to clarify some things and make my position clear: If I really wanted to be "greedy" I'd just go to another world. My desire to maintain that unique and special experience is why I don't do that. A currently existing example of the kind of things I mean to suggest: Alternate world evil is only obtainable in hardmode through seeds purchased in graveyard and completely inaccessible before that point.
Well, this is kinda what I mean. If a player such as yourself, wanted access to both World Evils (from the very start), its items, its buffs, and its Power-ups, you could simply generate a Drunken World Seed, which not only provides even more access to rare items (i.e. several Pyramids), but flips the entire World on-its-head, in addition to unlocking an entirely new Soundtrack/ OST.

What I'm saying is that, many of the features players have been asking for, are oftentimes, already a thing you can do, but because the game is so big and underexplored, they don't know it yet, and simply assume such-and-such thing isn't possible, or overestimate their own in-game knowledge (not to suggest that's what's happening here).

So, as you can see... that isn't the only way both World Evils can exist in a single Map, you have the option of it being "baked-in" from the very beginning (and trust me, it's super fun, it does a lot more than you might think).

In some genres this point may be applicable, but in this case I don't see how being completely barred from ever obtaining certain things in your world in any way is beneficial to the player's experience. For many items in the game, obtaining them by alternate renewable means is already possible and this doesn't decrease my satisfaction upon finding them at all. I'm not proposing every item be just as obtainable as every other item. In fact my proposal for Sandstorm in a Bottle was to have it be crafted from a rare drop, akin to Fart in a Jar. Would that hypothetical drop being rare not also be a part of that varied experience you value?
Not necessarily my point in your case, but... I have been the person to curate certain Terraria experiences, because some gamers just can't help themselves when given a choice. Here's some examples:
  • I recall a player who refused to continue their run, simply because their access to the Finch Staff item was "impossible", as no Great Trees had spawned in their World Map. Sad thing is, they didn't even try to continue, because they were so focused on what they didn't have, that they didn't bother to even see if the Map was "special" in any way, just assumed everything was ruined because an item they wanted wasn't gonna be an option. What if a Slime Staff dropped and they missed their window?
  • I recall a rather substantial group of players refusing to continue their run, simply because their access to Sanguine Staff was "blocked" by RNG, time of day, and a rare Event. I get it too, the item is extremely good, but as a person who completed 1.4 without it, it's not good enough to spend 40+ hours grinding for, and they'd never know that unless someone like myself told them. The effect that Sanguine Staff has, can be easily duplicated with a combination of Twins/ Blades Staff Minions, and Sanguine Staff won't be missed.
  • I recall another substantial group of players being totally dissatisfied with Master Mode and it's bloated stats, with very little changes to Boss A.I. and behaviors, little did we all know, this experience could be customized and crafted to each individuals liking. Not only could the player have the behavior of Bosses changed, those changes to behavior weren't locked behind a difficulty setting anymore, and if a player wanted a "real challenge", there were several ways to implement it in a customizable way. Terraria is quite effectively, the "Burger King" of sandbox games IMHO.
There are more instances, but I think that sometimes, taking the option completely off-the-table is the best possible solution for some. Again, this isn't to address you specifically, just to remind you that millions of other personalities play this game too.

The map will be special and unique regardless. The world will still generate in the way it generates, the Dungeon will still have a unique color that's much more easy to obtain than any of the others. As you say, the order and way in which you explore it will still be unique. Your list of rare drops will still be rare drops and none of them are applicable to my suggestions bar Sandstorm. (them being more common or accessible wasn't even a suggestion I made) Beside that, every single one of those items bar Sandstorm can already be obtained within any single world. I think there's an element of "removing RNG" that you've read into what I was saying that wasn't actually intended. Minecraft is a major example of a game that very effectively makes its worlds feel unique while also having every item that is obtainable by the player be theoretically obtainable within one world if you look hard enough.
First, I need to point out that Terraria 1.4+ and Minecraft are currently in two different leagues IMHO. The other thing is, lack of one option, is typically what opens the doorway to trying out another (this is a life principle btw).

The reason I used typically, well-made RPGs as some of the best examples of this, is because I also believe Terraria benefits greatly from this design choice as well. Just imagine how strange it must be, for a game like Terraria to be this customizable, more than most games out there, but somehow it's still not enough? This isn't to assume your personal position on the matter, but I'd only ask you think about it in a real-world, practical sense.

"Hey lovely wife, I know that you're better than 95% of women out there, are extremely flexible, talented and cater to nearly all my desires but... I have some suggestions." *pulls out a laundry list*

Thoughts? I have a habit of being a bit intense with my wording so I may come off hostile, just know that isn't intended. I just mean to convey that I do understand what I'm asking for, even if we differ on opinion.
Oh, you're fine. You're describing a personal issue that I struggle with as well, and work on everyday to improve.

Again, I do think many of these ideas are great, so I don't have many critiques but... do be mindful that a rather large portion of Terraria is still unexplored. I don't see any harm in Spelunker Potions working for Statues, or certain unobtainable items being craftable; I just think that this kind of change doesn't need to be all-encompassing, and at what point does it end?

Last edited:
So, as you can see... that isn't the only way both World Evils can exist in a single Map, you have the option of it being "baked-in" from the very beginning (and trust me, it's super fun, it does a lot more than you might think).
That is certainly true, but not everyone wants everything that doing this consists of. Perhaps more customization in the vein of seeds could be a partial solution though?
Sanguine Staff was "blocked" by RNG
To be clear I wasn't talking about anything being "blocked" in anything other than a literal sense. Something being reliant on post-generation RNG is not something I'm opposed to, nor is it related to my suggestions. I mean possible and impossible very literally here. If it's a 1/10,000,000,000 chance from an untransformed Nymph on St. Patrick's Day, that's possible.
taking the option completely off-the-table is the best possible solution for some. Again, this isn't to address you specifically, just to remind you that millions of other personalities play this game too.
Isn't your first example a case where this clearly isn't the best possible solution, and it drove the person involved to re-roll rather than pushing through? I don't mean to supplant anything currently existing as the most optimal way to do anything. (I'm very aware of this feeling since I was satisfied with the Reaver Shark and Meteor nerfs as not doing them made me feel like I was playing sub-optimally) Finding things naturally in your world won't be un-special or more difficult than the alternatives.
lack of one option, is typically what opens the doorway to trying out another (this is a life principle btw).
See the above.
for a game like Terraria to be this customizable, more than most games out there, but somehow it's still not enough? This isn't to assume your personal position on the matter, but I'd only ask you think about it in a real-world, practical sense.

"Hey lovely wife, I know that you're better than 95% of women out there, are extremely flexible, talented and cater to nearly all my desires but... I have some suggestions." *pulls out a laundry list*
I don't really get what you mean here. I know this isn't your intent, as you say you think some suggestions are okay, but this is indistinguishable from an argument that Terraria is mostly perfect as-is and that it's asking too much to make suggestions at all.

That is certainly true, but not everyone wants everything that doing this consists of. Perhaps more customization in the vein of seeds could be a partial solution though?
I mean... I guess?? It's just that, the feature is already so unique and versatile (it even got updated so that you can rename your Worlds), making it even more customizable... at that point I'd suggest to that person just get a Map Editor. 😏 🤷‍♂️

To be clear I wasn't talking about anything being "blocked" in anything other than a literal sense. Something being reliant on post-generation RNG is not something I'm opposed to, nor is it related to my suggestions. I mean possible and impossible very literally here. If it's a 1/10,000,000,000 chance from an untransformed Nymph on St. Patrick's Day, that's possible.
Oh, I wasn't assuming your position, just attempting to show that in either/ any case, possible, impossible, improbable or unlikely, there was always someone that ended up "unhappy" with the changes. Not being able to obtain an item, because it simply isn't in your current world (but always has a possible chance to spawn during World Gen), is just as valuable a mechanic as making something reasonably rare, hard to obtain, or require the player to check certain boxes.

No one is ever going to fully enjoy every "gatekeeping mechanic" in the game, what I'm saying is that it's pretty cool that Terraria has so many, as this is a mechanic one might only see in Roguelike/ Roguelite games (which again, is the reason these games are so enjoyable if they're executed well).

Isn't your first example a case where this clearly isn't the best possible solution, and it drove the person involved to re-roll rather than pushing through? I don't mean to supplant anything currently existing as the most optimal way to do anything. (I'm very aware of this feeling since I was satisfied with the Reaver Shark and Meteor nerfs as not doing them made me feel like I was playing sub-optimally) Finding things naturally in your world won't be un-special or more difficult than the alternatives.
True... which is why I have very few critiques of your suggestions and some others in this thread, my only suggestion to you and others is to tread lightly. I say this from the perspective of watching bad ideas, get pushed through, that Terrarians practically begged the Devs for, only for them to catch amnesia about asking for it, when the addition/ change was bad.

I don't really get what you mean here. I know this isn't your intent, as you say you think some suggestions are okay, but this is indistinguishable from an argument that Terraria is mostly perfect as-is and that it's asking too much to make suggestions at all.
There's no such thing as a perfect game, and I say this as a person who plays a fully-functional, clean-coded, beautifully-patched, hand-picked, Modded Skyrim SE; with over 200 +plug-ins! ✊ 😏⚡

That's about as perfect a game as you can get, because there's a Mod in Skyrim, for just about everyone, and mine is modified in exactly the way I like it, to the point that I have no interest in any other Mods, because now... there's just WAAAY too much "stuff" in my game already, LoL! What I'm saying is, know the ledge... because if you're chasing after perfection, you'll likely find the Abyss first (it'll never end).

Last edited:
Enemies shouldn’t spawn during boss fights. They did this for Moon Lord, but it should apply for every boss. I should not have to waste an accessory slot on a shield to avoid bumping into zombies that I can’t see. I should only be dying to the boss.

4. An item that functions similarly to a spelunker potion that allows you to see Corruption/Crimson/Hallow blocks highlighted through walls to make it easier to purify without risk of it coming back.
biome site potion nice to see some of these ideas get added to the game

Back
Top Bottom