Weapons & Equip A Slight Balance Change to Ore Equipment

TheRealDougBowser

Official Terrarian
So we all know how every world is generated with either Copper or Tin, Iron or Lead, etc. This is great. It adds variance to different playthroughs and makes worlds feel more unique. There's only one problem with this system that I think is pretty easy to fix. The newer version of each ore is flatout better than the older one, causing a slight sense of disappointment whenever you end up with any of the lesser ones. Let's fix this.

The change I want to propose is different for Hardmode and Prehardmode ores, but pretty simple nonetheless. Firstly, for the Prehardmode ores, I would like to propose that the defenses of the variants of armor are swapped. Swap the defenses of Gold and Platinum armor, Silver and Tungsten armor, and so on so forth. I feel like this would keep the different ores separate while still balancing them some and lessening the blow whenever you don't end up with Platinum instead of Gold. Also Tungsten Bullets.

Next, for the Hardmode ores, instead of swapping any stats, I think it would be best to downright buff the old armors. They don't hold a candle to the newer ones and you're pretty much guaranteed to use them if you aren't playing Summoner. The way I'd go about this is by either giving the older armors abilities that rival the ones of the newer armors or by making the old armors focus a lot more on raw stats. I also think it would be cool if the old ore weapons focused more on raw attack while the new ore weapons are quite a bit quicker. The new ore Pickaxes/Drills would be nerfed to match that of the older ones. No more skipping Mythril please.

To close out, I know this is a pretty small issue, but that's why I'm only suggesting a small adjustment to fix it. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, or criticisms, please feel free to respond. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I like this, actually. It makes the prehardmode ores balanced without just making them identical, and also doesn't just start saying "you can pick your ores now lol". The hardmode ores honestly doesn't really change much, as the 1.2 armor unique set bonuses are better in EVERY way and it wouldn't change how devastating getting adamantite and cobalt instead of titanium is. I propose that for the hardmode ores to be balanced, we need the old armors to have actually unique set bonuses too.

Why would making the old prehardmode ores better in every way balance them? New ores are already rarer than old ones, giving them less defense too would be crippling

Why would making the old prehardmode ores better in every way balance them? New ores are already rarer than old ones, giving them less defense too would be crippling
I don't think they're rarer enough for most people to notice...

As @Omega Derpling said, the old Prehardmode ores aren't better in every way, they're only better defensively. Although I'd say that the Hardmode ores would be harder to balance. Again, as Omega Derpling has already said, the set bonuses for the newer Hardmode ore armors blow the older versions out of the water, so much so that if I end up with Adamantite I almost feel cheated. Buffing the older ores would really help negate that feeling. Whether to do that buy buffing raw stats or giving special abilities is up for debate, but I really think something needs to happen.

Wait what the :red:, is this fact?
I've never noticed anything to lead me to this assumption, which leaves me unconvinced.
From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to be true. The ores and their alts have the same generation patterns in a world. A platinum world will have the same amount of platinum as a gold world on average. This might be confirmation bias on my behalf, though.

This will not balance anything IMO, since the armors are used almost universally and the weapons -- almost never.

Reactions: Bry
Hmmm yes... I make a platinum one in some plays (if I get enough platinum for armour and pickaxe) but it's not much of a problem. Mainly because I use bombs a lot
Not everyone uses their money on bombs, they need to save up for things like the shotgun, minishark, and Ice Rod. Plus, you get so much ore so fast that if you only use ores for weapons it takes zero effort to make a bow and a pick and be done.

Reactions: Bry
Not everyone uses their money on bombs, they need to save up for things like the shotgun, minishark, and Ice Rod. Plus, you get so much ore so fast that if you only use ores for weapons it takes zero effort to make a bow and a pick and be done.
Usually I Only Craft A Silver Pick Or Higher And Just Jump Straight To Nightmare/Deathbringer. Then Again Minecarts Trivialize Both BoC And EoW. Add A Snowball Cannon And You're Unstoppable.

Great idea. I was thinking the old ores are weaker so it is unfair. The Adanamite Armor does have a stronger defense then Titanium but Titanium has Shadow Dodge which is OP. I say the old armors need cool set bonuses. That would make it closer to equal I believe the armors should keep their defense so it still isn't equal. Adanamite should not get a set bonus equal to Titanium's because then Adanamite would be stronger and I like that Titanium is stronger because it makes sense. Orichalium having a actually good set bonus and then Mythril having well it's set bonus, pretty boring. Palladium Armor having increased damage and crazy life regen and then Cobalt, just extra damage....

I haven't even talked about the drills yet. The Palladium Drill/Pickaxe can mine Titanium/Adanamite! What the! Can Cobalt? No!

Usually I Only Craft A Silver Pick Or Higher And Just Jump Straight To Nightmare/Deathbringer. Then Again Minecarts Trivialize Both BoC And EoW. Add A Snowball Cannon And You're Unstoppable.
Same

Back
Top Bottom