A small piece

Dakota Spine

Headless Horseman
I decided to write up a little section of a book or something. It's about two sides in constant fighting, and one boy lost as to who the real bad guys are. I hope you like it.

I lean against the wooden fence that rests on the edge of the balcony, resting my arms on it as I grab my elbows. "Kiro... I need to talk to you about something... something that has really been on my mind for a while..." I say, sadly staring off into space. The air feels heavy as he accepts to listen to me.
"Oh, sure. What's on your mind?" He asks. I let out a deep sigh before I speak my mind.
"In all the books I have read... every tale and fable I have ever heard... the good guys always beat the bad guys in the end... and they stand triumphant, saving the day." I sigh sadly, recalling some other stories, "...They... they were here first, weren't they?" There is a heavy silence for a few moments before he speaks up.
"Yeah... what are you getting at?" He asks, dreading my answer. Just by the look on my face as I explain my thoughts says everything.
"Kiro... we're the bad guys." I frown, staring at the top of the wooden fencing. Kiro gives me a confused look.
"W-what? The bad guys? What do you mean?" He asks, his voice making me feel like I am crazy. My chest feels heavy, fearing he'll just think I really am nuts with a claim like this.
"Think about it... they were here long before us, right?" I say softly, feeling guilty even though I never made the choices that led to all this fighting, "We came and took over their land... they fought in self-defense... we're the evil invading force washing over the land that it's people fight to protect. We're that big bad force that needs to be stopped at the end of the book..."
"Dude, that's crazy talk." He says, looking right at me, "You know we're fighting to end these battles, but they won't let up!"
"That's because we blindly rushed into this whole ordeal. We started to take their land without thinking of the consequences." I explain.
"B-but they just keep coming! We're fighitng them off." He says, defending all of our actions. I angrily clench my hands, feeling regret.
"But we provoked that fighting!" I say, raising my voice, "We're not fighting them off, they're fighting us off. We're both fighting for a resolve here... but these two conflicting sides... there can only be one fighting for the right cause." I let out a deep sigh, looking over at him. "I don't think we're that side... we came in and started taking over. We came to them and beat them down, and they provoked nothing. And now we both have a war on our hands thanks to our actions. Does that sound like a hero to you?" Kero is speechless. I begins to ponder the improcations as well, thinking about everything that has happened.
"But... maybe it's just that." He says, "Maybe it's just two sides conficting... and one is gonna resolve somehow."
"It's partially true... but saying that's all it is... all it amounts to... is it just a way of saying there is a problem without admiting we are the monsters?" I ask. We are both silent, and the air just gets heavier and heavier. "...We can't let them win... but we can't lose either..." I say, "And if we win... then the hero at the end of our story loses... and the bad guy wins in the end..."
"But... but maybe still..." He mutters.
"But what, Kero? Maybe, by some weird loophole we aren't the bad guys? That we aren't the evil force here?" I say, staring right through him with upset eyes, "We can't deny it any longer... we're in the wrong. If we win, they lose everything they fought for. And if we lose, we lose everything we fought for."
"If we really are the bad guys... then... how is this gonna resolve?" Kero asks fearfully.
"I dunno... the bad guys never win."

Last edited:
"evil"
"bad guy"
such idealistic terms
If only it were that simple....
the "good guy" is usually the one you root for as the reader, usually that whose perspective you see
But no, it is usually the better equipped side who wins
yet as these people become convinced they are the "bad guys" they will be demoralized, as they see loss as inevitable, and therefore loss is inevitable because they have already given up

But who's to say who's really gonna win in the end? Take for example video games where you play as the villain. You know you are playing as the bad guys, and you don't see them as the good guys. I think it's more about drive, and actions that determined which side is which.

Back
Top Bottom