Story A Tale of How Not to Adventure

DoctorMcDerp

Plantera
Greetings, and welcome to my first ever story here on the forums!
Now, if those first few words didn't cause immediate physical sickness, it means we are off to a great start! Chances are this will be on the more poorly written side of things, and I may end up not posting regularly due to schoolwork, but I'll see what I can do, and how far I can take this.
Now, without further ado, welcome to a story about how, with brute force and a lot of idiocy, one can amazing things.
Well, not amazing as in the good kind, at least not most of the time, but amazing nonetheless.

Greetings, I am the mighty Duncan, defender of the realm, challenger of legends, slayer of gods, the bringer of peace and harmony to this world!

Who am I kidding, I’m just a deadbeat idiot who found himself here and is currently in the process of trying to build a house a rather shoddy house, all while getting killed by bits of multi colored jello. Off to a great start, I guess.

So, my story begins a lot like quite a few others here, at least from what I’ve heard. Wake up in the woods in the middle of nowhere with a rather lacking memory, a backpack with a few tools in it, and a very sore head.

A bit confused and disoriented, I got up and walked around for a bit, trying to get my bearings on things. Funny thing about this place, there seem to be pots scattered everywhere. Normally I’d be worried about some kind of property damage or theft charge, but considering my predicament, and the fact that no one was around, I went around smashing and looting every one I could find. Good stuff in there, rope, shurikens, coins, and bottles of weird fluid. Not too sure what I’ll spend the coins on though, and I tried taking a swig out of one of the bottles, but instead found myself feeling rather sick. Oh well, if I find the owner of this place I can just tell him someone else stole his stuff.

Now, there's something else odd that I should mention about this world. It seems you can’t die here. Not permanently, at least. I fell into a hole a few hours ago and was introduced to one of the loving and welcoming inhabitants of this place, the slime. Now, I do know how to swing a sword and shoot a gun, but when I reached into the pack I found when I woke up and pulled out a small copper blade, I was a little disappointed. Probably not the best thing to be swinging around in this situation, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Eventually, they all started jumping in after me, and as much as I was waving the blade around, they never stopped coming at me. These guys sting when they hit you, too. Eventually, they got the upper hand, and I found myself swimming in gel. Really, really painful jel. Not saying I completely panicked, but you tend to get a little desperate in those situations.

As I tried to claw my way out, slowly, things went milky, then black, and I guess that’s just because my eyeballs weren’t there anymore. Eventually, the pain went away. For a moment, I wondered if this was really how things would end. One lone guy, just tossed into a world, then killed in minutes. Poetic, I guess.

My train of thought in the darkness was suddenly stopped when I found myself opening my eyes in the same clearing from before. Coughing like there was still goo in my lungs, I got up and looked around. After checking to make sure none of those guys were still around, I heard laughing from behind a nearby tree. I reached into my bag, felt something sharp, and threw it in the general direction of the sound. Getting your flesh melted off makes you a little paranoid, I guess.

Still, a shuriken buried itself in the side of a tree, and the laughing cut off immediately. Instead a man walked out slowly with his hands up.

“Whoa, whoa, hold it buddy, you could get someone hurt like that!”

Unconvinced, I pulled out the copper blade from before. While I wasn’t too sure due to its less than stellar last attempt at saving me, it looked flashy enough to threaten someone with. So, with that out of the way, I began asking questions.

“Who are you, what is this place, and why am I here?”

He frowned a little.

“Well, um, if memory serves correctly, you are on the Terrarian isles. I guess you could say I’m a guide of sorts. The name’s Maxwell. As for why you are here, I don’t know. Now, I’ve answered enough of your questions, and I’d like to call you something other than shoot first, ask questions later.”

I paused for a bit

“...I’m Duncan.”

I still kept my blade on him. With a look of exasperation, he continued.

“Well, Duncan, if you want a reason to be here, I’d say… housing development? Anyway, start building, because once that sun goes down, the wildlife will get a lot less hospitable.”

“And why is that?”, I asked.

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe they’re just mad at you for stealing their stuff?”

Maxwell
*Legend of Maxx intensifies*

Also, I love it! Sure, the "pots scattered everywhere" thing might make you think of property damage and nobody realized that. I'm gonna read some of this weekly ;)

Maxwell
*Legend of Maxx intensifies*

Also, I love it! Sure, the "pots scattered everywhere" thing might make you think of property damage and nobody realized that. I'm gonna read some of this weekly ;)
I never got through Legend of Maxx (I do want to though), but this guide isn't him. It's a reference to a friend who was so obsessed with the guide being named Maxwell that he'd kill him until he got that one.
Don't worry though, this "protagonist" isn't that demented. I think.

Back
Top Bottom