Map-Adventure A Terraria Adventure Map : Echoes of the Lost World

Never mind, the glowing mushroom biome is simply completely unfair but possible to do. I just spawned some wings to do it.

Never mind, the glowing mushroom biome is simply completely unfair but possible to do. I just spawned some wings to do it.

Yeah, I will admit that I felt it was a bit cheap. Not impossible, but a little frustrating.

After the initial learning-process of using the flail to solve puzzles, the only area of the map that I feel could have been done better/easier is the second part of hell. The wall-jump-dashing required in that part is a bit maddening, especially having to re-do it all after messing up one of the jumps. Still, I am proud to say I got through this whole thing without cheating. It's still my favorite adventure map. Very difficult and sort of imbalanced in areas, but still a really great creation.

I plan on playing through it again soon -- well, as soon as I can tear myself away from Dark Souls 3 and my own map.

After the initial learning-process of using the flail to solve puzzles, the only area of the map that I feel could have been done better/easier is the second part of hell. The wall-jump-dashing required in that part is a bit maddening, especially having to re-do it all after messing up one of the jumps. Still, I am proud to say I got through this whole thing without cheating. It's still my favorite adventure map. Very difficult and sort of imbalanced in areas, but still a really great creation.

I plan on playing through it again soon -- well, as soon as I can tear myself away from Dark Souls 3 and my own map.

I am in the process of replaying this myself. 4 hours and I'm ready to try the Underworld #2 after I get the obsidian shield. Pretty sure I have just about everything up to that point (except for some optional junk like Shadow Armor that I have no plans of using).

And yeah those jumps in Underworld #2 are a tad bit ridiculous. I bring a grappling hook and if I fail a jump, I'll grapple back up to where I was so I don't have to re-do the whole schmoo all over again.

Semi-cheating, I know, but I've a limited amount of patience for having to re-play areas I already did.

From the creators of The Legend of Zelda - Two Worlds, Echoes of the Lost World is a large-scale adventure map inspired by metroid-vania games. The map is very open-worlded, to the point where you can get items in several different orders. The map is designed for Terraria veterans; both the parkour and fighting will challenge even the most experienced of players. We recommend completing our previous map (The Legend of Zeleda - Two Worlds) before moving on to this one, as it gives a good feel for this map. Estimated time to complete this map is 4-10 hours.
Incredible work. Loving this map!

I completed the map and wanted to say how fantastic it was. Other than a couple really difficult, maybe even unfair, jumping segments it was a ton of fun to play. The non-linear Metroid style of game play is really well executed here. All of the different areas are themed beautifully, the visuals of this map are a real treat. The map does have some faults, like the mushroom biome jumping segment being perhaps way too hard (unless I was missing something), and I feel the hint system could have been color coded in conjunction with key items to give a slightly more obvious path for players to follow.

I'm really looking forward to the next map you guys do because this was wonderful, I wish there was more maps like this.

I completed the map and wanted to say how fantastic it was. Other than a couple really difficult, maybe even unfair, jumping segments it was a ton of fun to play. The non-linear Metroid style of game play is really well executed here. All of the different areas are themed beautifully, the visuals of this map are a real treat. The map does have some faults, like the mushroom biome jumping segment being perhaps way too hard (unless I was missing something), and I feel the hint system could have been color coded in conjunction with key items to give a slightly more obvious path for players to follow.

I'm really looking forward to the next map you guys do because this was wonderful, I wish there was more maps like this.

On my 2nd playthrough, I find that the Mushroom Biome is so much more reasonable if you use buff potions. You get more than a dozen of each of the potions to use throughout the whole map, and it took me 2-3 to get through the Mushroom Biome. Regen+Heart Lantern+Ironskin potions really reduce the damage and help you recover much faster. It does get a tad bit annoying though when you gotta stop to kill junk every 5 seconds and/or if you get knocked off and fall onto the meteorite blocks.

But if you keep trying, you'll get there eventually.

I was actually able to do even the jumping puzzles on my 2nd playthrough, though I still brought a grappling hook so I didn't have to re-do jumps I already made successfully, with the exception of the golem stone in the mushroom biome (I tried like 5 times and you just don't get enough time to properly line up a jump to get to that chest though I bet you could go back with some of the items you get later on and make that jump easy... I just didn't feel like doing that much back-tracking and the item turns out to be not that important anyways) and that heart in the Underworld #2 (right next to the flamelash chest). I am convinced that jump is 99% impossible to make, requiring frame-precise inputs... yeah, just no. Not happening.

It does get a tad bit annoying though when you gotta stop to kill junk every 5 seconds and/or if you get knocked off and fall onto the meteorite blocks.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. If there were not constant enemy spawns it would have been a fun, but still difficult, challenge. I found the dash jumps in Hell easier to do than the mushroom biome, simply because there weren't 6 or more enemies constantly on screen that can also fly through blocks.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. If there were not constant enemy spawns it would have been a fun, but still difficult, challenge. I found the dash jumps in Hell easier to do than the mushroom biome, simply because there weren't 6 or more enemies constantly on screen that can also fly through blocks.

I feel we should've probably made sure the player has to get the musket before being able to get there. I feel like the musket made that area way easier than it would be without (as you have otherwise no good weapons against them), but the musket can one shot them with a straight fast projectile. Some peace candles could've helped too.

...I was actually able to do even the jumping puzzles on my 2nd playthrough, though I still brought a grappling hook so I didn't have to re-do jumps I already made successfully, with the exception of the golem stone in the mushroom biome (I tried like 5 times and you just don't get enough time to properly line up a jump to get to that chest though I bet you could go back with some of the items you get later on and make that jump easy... I just didn't feel like doing that much back-tracking and the item turns out to be not that important anyways) and that heart in the Underworld #2 (right next to the flamelash chest). I am convinced that jump is 99% impossible to make, requiring frame-precise inputs... yeah, just no. Not happening.

We don't like pixel perfect jumps, so we don't do them. Some of the hard jumps are definitely hard, but there is still room for slight error. One easy example would be the mushrooms in cobalt area. It feels like mostly the hard jumps there seem to be walljumps from the trunk of the mushrooms to top of them, where the hat of the mushroom is 3 blocks to both sides. This jump would be still possible with just the cloud + climbing gear even if it was 6 blocks to the side. At that point it starts to be very precise, not pixel/frame perfect, but close. We end up making almost every hard mandatory jump easier than we originally made them. On optional content we are more inclined to keep things challenging for even really good players.

Please don't take this the wrong way, there are definitely things we should've considered more when making the map, and you can dislike the difficulty of the map as much as you want, but the jumps on this map are far from requiring pixel perfect performance, even the optional ones.

Please don't take this the wrong way, there are definitely things we should've considered more when making the map, and you can dislike the difficulty of the map as much as you want, but the jumps on this map are far from requiring pixel perfect performance, even the optional ones.

Are you including the Heart Chest next to the Flamelash in on that? Because I tried some 20+ times and I only got close to even touching the 2nd vertical surface, once and I'm pretty sure if it ain't pixel perfect it is incredibly close to it.

That's with using both bottles AND the tabi (or, well, master ninja gear).

In general, dash jumping from hanging on a wall does NOT work very well. Especially not when you have to time it so that you dash underneath the thing you were hanging on. The dash detection mechanic in Terraria is incredibly inaccurate (a lot of times I'll try to get a dash, it'll fail and I'll touch the A or D key a third time and THEN I get a dash).

The game also has this annoying habit of spending one of your bottles when you meant to jump off of the thing you were hanging on too.

I know the Tabi makes for awesome "Hey, look at this, awesome parkour mechanic!" but yet, they (Re-Logic) needs vast improvements to the dash mechanic and its detection. I'd almost rather they put dashing on another hotkey; I have NEVER liked games that require you to double-tap to dash. It rarely works well.

Of course, I'm not saying this to complain about your map, I'm simply explaining why mid-air dashes don't work out very well. Nice idea, but the game itself doesn't support it very well.

Are you including the Heart Chest next to the Flamelash in on that? Because I tried some 20+ times and I only got close to even touching the 2nd vertical surface, once and I'm pretty sure if it ain't pixel perfect it is incredibly close to it.

That's with using both bottles AND the tabi (or, well, master ninja gear).

In general, dash jumping from hanging on a wall does NOT work very well. Especially not when you have to time it so that you dash underneath the thing you were hanging on. The dash detection mechanic in Terraria is incredibly inaccurate (a lot of times I'll try to get a dash, it'll fail and I'll touch the A or D key a third time and THEN I get a dash).

The game also has this annoying habit of spending one of your bottles when you meant to jump off of the thing you were hanging on too.

I know the Tabi makes for awesome "Hey, look at this, awesome parkour mechanic!" but yet, they (Re-Logic) needs vast improvements to the dash mechanic and its detection. I'd almost rather they put dashing on another hotkey; I have NEVER liked games that require you to double-tap to dash. It rarely works well.

Of course, I'm not saying this to complain about your map, I'm simply explaining why mid-air dashes don't work out very well. Nice idea, but the game itself doesn't support it very well.

Yeah even that heart crystal doesn't really require that precise jumps, but that jump has a specific way to do it. I won't argue that the dash detection couldn't be better, but it's bad enough to make these kind of jumps inconsistent. It takes a lot of practise to get used to walljumps / tabi mechanics as most people don't really take those to their full potential in single player, but once you get used to those any jumps on this map shouldn't be that difficult. That is not to say you will do every jump on first try, but they are far from pixel perfect.

There was one funny jump me and mbran found out on the map. There is a puzzle in left side of hell with big circular adamantite beams painted mostly gray with some actuated colored ones in between (meant to look like big chains). You could technically skip that puzzle by jumping under the whole area. basically you dash under the area and then double jump to reach a ledge, and then drop dash double jump from there to reach the right side. That jump tho was stupidly hard to execute BUT was perfectly possible. But it's as close to a pixel perfect jump that you can get with those mobility items, and would be silly to even compare any jumps on the map to that one.

Are there any other jumps like this that you are aware of that could allow the player to skip areas? :)

Are there any other jumps like this that you are aware of that could allow the player to skip areas? :)

Not one that me and mbran139 are aware of at least. We fixed a lot of other jumps etc that made you skip content, but this one was so stupidly hard to pull off that it honestly didn't matter one bit.

I found a problem, in that part, i pulled the lever sometimes to deactuate those timed blocks, but after several tries it stopped working, they don't deactuate anymore, omg got so frustrated, the part before this one took me an hour!
KK8AOEd.png

I hate this map, thought about commiting suicide three times and cheat several times too. JK i love the challenge, but with low FPS and no magic mirror is frustrating, but he part of commiting suicide and cheat are real tho

Unfortunately for the timed block puzzles in that area there is probably no real way to fix it so that it can't be broken. Incidentally, it only breaks if you hit the lever too fast... yea, I did the same thing.

Ok, i kinda cheated that part to keep playing and i finished it now. beside the frustration and suicide thoughts, the map was pretty good, very challengeful, that's what i like, the only problem was my FPS drops (especially at the negative dimension, oh god, my game crashed on thi one but i managed to keep going with lower resolution)
10/10 would play it again xD

Ok, i kinda cheated that part to keep playing and i finished it now. beside the frustration and suicide thoughts, the map was pretty good, very challengeful, that's what i like, the only problem was my FPS drops (especially at the negative dimension, oh god, my game crashed on thi one but i managed to keep going with lower resolution)
10/10 would play it again xD
If you actually thought about killing yourself you should go see a therapist or something.

Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom