Map-Adventure A Terraria Adventure: The Legend of Zelda - Two Worlds

Which, with time based jump puzzles, that ends up being almost needlessly difficult.
Find (or make) a place to practice just a little bit and it'll be like 2nd nature before you know it.

Oh, and the one good thing about the timed areas for wall jumping is at least it's not in an area where you die if you miss one. If you fall you can just easily try again.

FINALLY! IV'E BEEN WAITING FOR AN ADVENTURE MAP LIKE THIS! TIME TO DOWNLOAD AND PLAY RIGHT N- oh, CRAP! How could I forget? My stupid computer won't recognize that it has a graphics card in it, *sigh* guess I gotta bookmark this until it's fixed.

Looks amazing though, I can't wait to try it!

FINALLY! IV'E BEEN WAITING FOR AN ADVENTURE MAP LIKE THIS! TIME TO DOWNLOAD AND PLAY RIGHT N- oh, CRAP! How could I forget? My stupid computer won't recognize that it has a graphics card in it, *sigh* guess I gotta bookmark this until it's fixed.

Looks amazing though, I can't wait to try it!
You'll enjoy it! Some of the platforming is a bit tricky, but the map is incredibly fun and uses different items in incredible ways!

Hmm.
Been awhile since I've played and I got the urge to try some :red: and this looked interesting.
I think I spent like 20mins on getting claw and flippers and finishing up the rest of that stuff...

AND 2 HOURS+ (literal) trying to find the hermes boots rofl.
Seriously though make that gold chest room like 4x bigger and grander I skipped over it while marveling at the rest detail of the map cause it didn't stand out enough......... Somehow ;p
Somehow double popped the trigger and got a whoopie cushion... 2hrs searching trolled by chest hrrgh.

View attachment 45493
^ stood inside the tree next to this switch then walked right. Did I just derp myself? *reloads*
I did this twice cause I'm that good. (move the switch out of range from someone standing inside tree?)
I am not actually sure if I am actually derped here 2 many switches and I'm done tree hugging.
Then went on to lose an enchanted sword in my inventory for another 30mins TT

View attachment 45494
^ Oh we don't get Free Heals or Chests in our respawn anymore? I see how it is.
Not really needed just found it interesting to see a deviation from the 'standard' bed spawns littered around the map.
Only reason I thought about this was because of the amazing plot twist to the main story down the bottom vvvv.

View attachment 45495
*glub* *glub* *glub* *glub* *glub* *glub* *glub*
(screw swimming around ima hit this through the wall)

View attachment 45496
^ Doesn't really matter but if you go the claw way at the meteor head area you can shortcut down to the hermes area by freefalling and double tapping this teleporter.
Assuming you land on a pinhead you can't see while dodging meteor heads.
(put a roof on it?)

View attachment 45497
For some reason earlier in my playthrough I was very happy about making this jump first pop.
Couldn't reproduce. Then proceeded getting lost for 2hrs.

View attachment 45498 View attachment 45499
Wall of flesh got sick of waiting for me and left on a honey moon with Zelda.
FML.

*roll credits*
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anywho...
Very detailed map (almost to a fault) that one can easily spend a good amount of time playing.
Enjoyed quite a few parts though nothing I haven't really seen before.
Thought the pacing of some areas were a bit off like I get it, it's a ball O' hurt killing a cob web AGAIN.

No seriously though I liked the map.

edit:
420 health, well played buff potion.

Yeah most of those things are small things we are aware of we just never happened to fix or aren't a problem, there were 100s of others we did during testing. I think the gold chest could be made more obvious, was always a worry of mine. I'm very surprised that there's nothing you haven't seen, there are a lot of challenges we tried to make unique, within Terraria at least, like the Cannon puzzles, Weapon Puzzles, Shadow Paint and Snake areas.

I agree the pacing is a little off in some places, we should of split the ball o' hurt puzzles up a bit. I think we used climbing claws challenges way too often as well as some other things. Anyway thanks a lot for the feedback.

A little feedback. I liked the map overall but there was one little big thing that nearly ruined the experience for me. Just one thing. Wall jumping from wall to wall. That there, felt needlessly difficult but it's not your fault.

The claw jumps do get hard, especially with the timers. OFF is correct in saying most people don't have experience using them so for us map makers who have used the claws countless times it is hard for us to gauge how hard some of the jumps are for people who haven't really used them. It took a lot of convincing from me and mbran to Noel to make one of the timed climbing claws jumps easier, and we made most of the climbing claws jumps easier during testing. Some are still too hard though I agree.

Don't get me wrong on that puzzle comment the implementation is golden. It's obvious solid considerations were taken throughout with respect to the games mechanics.
2bh was kinda hard pressed to say anything that wasn't minor/irrelevant so I just had fun with it and kept things brief. Besides some little things help keep maps interesting as opposed to being completely stale.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited to go off and try some of the other stuff you're got going on.
Apologies if I am a little coarse.

Don't get me wrong on that puzzle comment the implementation is golden. It's obvious solid considerations were taken throughout with respect to the games mechanics.
2bh was kinda hard pressed to say anything that wasn't minor/irrelevant so I just had fun with it and kept things brief. Besides some little things help keep maps interesting as opposed to being completely stale.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited to go off and try some of the other stuff you're got going on.
Apologies if I am a little coarse.

Oh no your comment was very useful, don't worry about anything like that, we like to hear any problems or criticisms of the map. I can be very bad at sounding too coarse or cold, mbran and Noel are probably the same.

One thing that bothered me was the lack of signs that tell you where things are. Or at least hint at an item you'll need in order to advance. Like how a certain item was needed to turn on all the levers in the sword's temple

Awesome piece of work! I only have the mobile version, so I had to settle with seeing someone else play through it... But, it was very enjoyable!

Just some considerations for the future:

Parkour combination. As far as I saw, the parkour bits (running jumps & wall climbing) were independent from one another in puzzles, you can make some were running jumps are needed to reach a wall that needs climbing.

The usage of furniture as platforms would be amazing in preparing locations without normally recognizable blocks and platforms. For example, running atop bookcases in a building to reach a lever that is otherwise innaccesible.

Magic weapons were not showcased as much as they could be as the only magic weapon showcased is the Staff of Earth... Some other magic weapons that could've been utilized are:

The vilethorn and its upgraded version the Nettleburst can access completely innaccesible spiderwebs (admitidly, they would feel a bit cheetie at the beginning, so applying them at the final dungeon would be best). Alternatively, the Chlorophite Partisan and Mushroom Spear makes for other options to hit completely innaccesible spiderwebs.

The Starfury can launch stars to spiderwebs in an adjacent room so long as there's enough space for the stars to spawn.

Throwing Knives, the Bloody Machete and the Magic Dagger have unique ways of dropping down which give additional options for puzzles.

The Shadowbeam staff not only fits through 1 block holes, but also rebounds until it reaches its maximum distance. This allows the creation of stages that require the player to shoot the staff in a specific area in a specific direction so that the beam reaches the spiderweb. Furthermore, since the beam fits through 1 block holes, the space the beam will go through won't affect a boulders pathway.

Controllable magic such as magic missile give a chance for the player to try to get the magic to the target, in combination with timed actuators, this makes for a fitting challenge for players.

Bouncing magic, such the flowers of fire and frost make for areas where only their way of moving can reach the target while other spells just bounce or hit obstructions along the path.

These are just things to consider in the future...

Thanks for all the new comments and feedback.

One thing that bothered me was the lack of signs that tell you where things are. Or at least hint at an item you'll need in order to advance. Like how a certain item was needed to turn on all the levers in the sword's temple

We tried to make things as clear as possible without using signs, I think in a few places it could of been done a bit better. Having signs can really detract from the atmosphere of the map and feel really out of place and are a lazy way to guide players. Though in a few places there was some important information we had to use signs for.

Awesome piece of work! I only have the mobile version, so I had to settle with seeing someone else play through it... But, it was very enjoyable!

Just some considerations for the future:

Parkour combination. As far as I saw, the parkour bits (running jumps & wall climbing) were independent from one another in puzzles, you can make some were running jumps are needed to reach a wall that needs climbing.

The usage of furniture as platforms would be amazing in preparing locations without normally recognizable blocks and platforms. For example, running atop bookcases in a building to reach a lever that is otherwise innaccesible.

Magic weapons were not showcased as much as they could be as the only magic weapon showcased is the Staff of Earth... Some other magic weapons that could've been utilized are:

The vilethorn and its upgraded version the Nettleburst can access completely innaccesible spiderwebs (admitidly, they would feel a bit cheetie at the beginning, so applying them at the final dungeon would be best). Alternatively, the Chlorophite Partisan and Mushroom Spear makes for other options to hit completely innaccesible spiderwebs.

The Starfury can launch stars to spiderwebs in an adjacent room so long as there's enough space for the stars to spawn.

Throwing Knives, the Bloody Machete and the Magic Dagger have unique ways of dropping down which give additional options for puzzles.

The Shadowbeam staff not only fits through 1 block holes, but also rebounds until it reaches its maximum distance. This allows the creation of stages that require the player to shoot the staff in a specific area in a specific direction so that the beam reaches the spiderweb. Furthermore, since the beam fits through 1 block holes, the space the beam will go through won't affect a boulders pathway.

Controllable magic such as magic missile give a chance for the player to try to get the magic to the target, in combination with timed actuators, this makes for a fitting challenge for players.

Bouncing magic, such the flowers of fire and frost make for areas where only their way of moving can reach the target while other spells just bounce or hit obstructions along the path.

These are just things to consider in the future...

I agree we could of had more jumps which combined accessories. There are not many places to put them on this map and we did have some, but it is something we could of done more of.

One thing we like is making challenges feel part of the environment and using furniture is one way to do that. I don't think there are really many unique or different things that can be done using furniture like that, perhaps a small extra chest, but it doesn't feel like trying to add them in would add anything. There was one jump which required you to jump from a table but considering it was part of a path the player must go through at one point a lot of people might of missed it for a very long time, so we changed it.

As for different weapons, in our next map we have been working on there are a lot of new different weapons we have used. It's quite hard to make unique and fun challenges with most weapons but after time we came up with a list of about 10 weapons which work well. We have used a lot of different accessories as well, so going back to your first point trying to combine different items for a single challenge is something we have tried quite a lot more in this map.

Great map, really shows the true potential of a good terraria map. I especially love how you keep the platforming interesting by not giving the player any of the commonly used accessories like cloud in a bottle or the balloon. The only thing that in my opinion could be improved would be more focus on exploration and combat. Now the combat was basically limited to a few hallways in the dungeons. I hope that in any future maps you guys make, hardmode is included as well. Hardmode has a lot more interesting enemies.

How does your team feel about including mods into adventure maps? This would be a sure way to make them unique.

Thanks for the great map!

Great map, really shows the true potential of a good terraria map. I especially love how you keep the platforming interesting by not giving the player any of the commonly used accessories like cloud in a bottle or the balloon. The only thing that in my opinion could be improved would be more focus on exploration and combat. Now the combat was basically limited to a few hallways in the dungeons. I hope that in any future maps you guys make, hardmode is included as well. Hardmode has a lot more interesting enemies.

How does your team feel about including mods into adventure maps? This would be a sure way to make them unique.

Thanks for the great map!

We would love to use hardmode in a map, but it has some issues that made us decide to not use it. One is the hallow and corruption created when FoF dies which would require us to design the map around the areas where that takes place. Another issue was that mimics spawn and can give you Dual Hook, and we didn't want to have a rule about not being able to use specific items dropped from monsters.

For mods, it's very unlikely we will include those in our maps. We want to keep sure that it's very easy and simple to download and play the maps, and a lot of people who would play the map otherwise would see it as too much of a hassle. Also none of us really has experience with modding.

Our next map focuses heavily on exploration while having a huge open world.

Certainly the best adventure map I have ever played.
Each puzzle blew my mind every time, for being new and clever. As well as this, the whole concept of the map was great, as well as all the areas being very well designed and built. My favourite parts of the map were the Mimic battle, and the Gemspark based puzzles towards the end.
Clearly the whole map had a lot of effort and hard work put into it, which is why it's simply great.
Keep up the brilliant work map makers, I'm looking forward to another map like this in the future, and thanks for making something so great, which I really enjoyed playing.
And can you awser me this? Is this some kind of reference to anything?
I'm certain this is a creative reference to the game Ice Climbers.

I've been playing through a few different custom maps in preparation for 1.3 (partly to get back into practice, partly because I don't know if 1.3 might break some maps making this the last chance to experience them), and this is by far my favorite so far.

I don't play a lot of custom maps so I don't know what tricks are common among the mapping community and what are unique to this map, but I was floored by the number of different mechanics and designs used in clever ways to make the puzzles. Not only are they well-designed, but they're done in such a way to make the player feel smart when they finally solve them. I also really liked how well the game captured the "flavor" of an actual Zelda game.

Specific things I really liked:
  • The entire final dungeon was great. The puzzle design, the aesthetics (especially the black-and-white segment), everything involving the dungeon treasure, and the final fight, which I admit I was not expecting.
  • The bosses in general are really well-balanced, with equipment and boss room design making it an even playing field for each fight. The Forest Temple was an exception, but it was worth it for the surprise for players (i.e. me) who weren't playing attention to what's in the room.
  • The specific puzzle mechanic I was most impressed by was being able to swim up falling water.
  • The weapons work equally well as puzzle-solving tools and combat tools- none of them are something I used for just one or the other.
  • Though it's not something you had control over either way, the random monster drops supplement the chest-acquired equipment really well. You can get an Ancient Shadow set or a Shackle with a nice accessory mod to get an early power boost, but at the same time nothing drops anything game-breaking either.

Things I felt could have done better:
  • The climbing claws is an incredibly finicky accessory. Some puzzles aren't so bad, but there are two (one being the tower in the rightmost town) I just had to give up on because they were too difficult. I was really hoping I would unlock the Tiger Climbing Gear to make things easier.
  • I understood why it was done once I found the treasure, but I felt locking the player inside the final dungeon was a bad design choice. One thing about Zelda games is that you can always backtrack to earlier areas, no matter how far into the game you are.
  • The one time I got stuck and had to save and quit was the Platinum Broadsword in the temple. Unless I missed something obvious, there's no way to leave once you reach the chest.
  • The map suffers from a problem Terraria in general has, which is a lot of areas being really dim. Many locations are properly lit (lighting torches to highlight revealed paths or chests was a nice touch), but some, like the structure with two giant lava pits on the far left, were not.
  • While I really liked that the game had both combat and puzzle/platforming segments, I did not like it when it mixed the two. Trying to solve a difficult jumping segment while constantly being accosted by skeletons is really frustrating. I feel bad for anyone who entered the final dungeon without getting the Cobalt Shield.
  • I felt the final room / "win screen" of the game could have been a bit more elaborate as a reward for beating the game, especially considering how nice the rest of the game looks. Then again, a simple "Congratulations" message is very true to a lot of old Nintendo games.

I've been playing through a few different custom maps in preparation for 1.3 (partly to get back into practice, partly because I don't know if 1.3 might break some maps making this the last chance to experience them), and this is by far my favorite so far.

I don't play a lot of custom maps so I don't know what tricks are common among the mapping community and what are unique to this map, but I was floored by the number of different mechanics and designs used in clever ways to make the puzzles. Not only are they well-designed, but they're done in such a way to make the player feel smart when they finally solve them. I also really liked how well the game captured the "flavor" of an actual Zelda game.

Specific things I really liked:
  • The entire final dungeon was great. The puzzle design, the aesthetics (especially the black-and-white segment), everything involving the dungeon treasure, and the final fight, which I admit I was not expecting.
  • The bosses in general are really well-balanced, with equipment and boss room design making it an even playing field for each fight. The Forest Temple was an exception, but it was worth it for the surprise for players (i.e. me) who weren't playing attention to what's in the room.
  • The specific puzzle mechanic I was most impressed by was being able to swim up falling water.
  • The weapons work equally well as puzzle-solving tools and combat tools- none of them are something I used for just one or the other.
  • Though it's not something you had control over either way, the random monster drops supplement the chest-acquired equipment really well. You can get an Ancient Shadow set or a Shackle with a nice accessory mod to get an early power boost, but at the same time nothing drops anything game-breaking either.

Things I felt could have done better:
  • The climbing claws is an incredibly finicky accessory. Some puzzles aren't so bad, but there are two (one being the tower in the rightmost town) I just had to give up on because they were too difficult. I was really hoping I would unlock the Tiger Climbing Gear to make things easier.
  • I understood why it was done once I found the treasure, but I felt locking the player inside the final dungeon was a bad design choice. One thing about Zelda games is that you can always backtrack to earlier areas, no matter how far into the game you are.
  • The one time I got stuck and had to save and quit was the Platinum Broadsword in the temple. Unless I missed something obvious, there's no way to leave once you reach the chest.
  • The map suffers from a problem Terraria in general has, which is a lot of areas being really dim. Many locations are properly lit (lighting torches to highlight revealed paths or chests was a nice touch), but some, like the structure with two giant lava pits on the far left, were not.
  • While I really liked that the game had both combat and puzzle/platforming segments, I did not like it when it mixed the two. Trying to solve a difficult jumping segment while constantly being accosted by skeletons is really frustrating. I feel bad for anyone who entered the final dungeon without getting the Cobalt Shield.
  • I felt the final room / "win screen" of the game could have been a bit more elaborate as a reward for beating the game, especially considering how nice the rest of the game looks. Then again, a simple "Congratulations" message is very true to a lot of old Nintendo games.

Thank you for your feedback, I can agree with it all pretty much.

-I think we did use the climbing claws too much and made some of the puzzles too hard like you said, I think it was discussed earlier in the thread.
-Yeah we had to lock players in because of the Gravity Globe, in hindsight considering the Globe did not let us create as creative puzzles as we first thought we should of used a different item.
-Once you get the Platinum Broadsword you should be able to break cobweb to let you get off the small platform the chest with the sword is on. Unless you mean a different area.
-Lighting is something we don't do too well, with some lighting settings in Terraria things can seem much dimmer. We did add more lighting during testing at some places because of this but we could of done it better.
-Yeah the part with the dungeon mobs can be annoying, that is a place which could of been refined a bit especially considering most of the mobility challenges in there aren't very special.
-We did the final room very lazily, at that point we were very tired of building and it was the last thing we built. Just pure laziness on our part really, we should of put more time on it.

I recently played this map and just wanted to give my feedback. First of all, I loved it! It was so much fun and even though some of the climbing claw puzzles were tough, I eventually got though all of them and I feel like I'm actually decent at using them now.

The only issue I encountered was with the ball o hurt puzzles. At first I thought they were extremely difficult but after watching Pedguin's playthrough I realized that it was bugging out on me. Instead of getting stuck against the blocks the ball would always fly right though them and come right back to me. This meant that I could do the basic ones with really well timed jump and throws but the notched puzzles became impossible. I ended up grabbing a spare vilethorn from another world that I used only for those puzzles but it was frustrating that they didn't work for me for whatever reason. (For the record, when my friend played the map it worked just fine for him...)

I don't know whether this issue is related to this map or 1.3 being released, but the earth is see-through where the blocks are supposed to be pitch black, being able to see the background trough them.

Back
Top Bottom