Items A useful tool for builders - Magnifying Glass

critcodedtuna

Terrarian
I enjoy building and creating. What I don't enjoy is coming back to and old project and having to ask myself, "What block was that? What color paint did I use?" I can break stuff with a pick or hammer to see what drops, but figuring out paint is often trial and error to get just the right color. So why not provide a simple non-destructive and easy to obtain tool that does this? I propose this simple item:

Sq1KcI2.png

The Magnifying Glass is a hold item (like the Umbrella or Binoculars). Selecting this item would provide details about the tile currently under the cursor, as long as it's within reach. For solid blocks, it shows the material, paint (if present), and slope state of the block (if applicable). For walls, it shows the material and paint (if present). For furniture, it would show the item and paint (if present). For platforms, it would show the material, paint (if present), and slope state of the platform (level, half, stairs, etc. if applicable).

In game, I imagine it would look something like this:

SKmjITt.jpg

To obtain, it would be crafted from two lenses and two wood at a table with chair. (Like a watch, optics ought to require precision work, no?)

I have a couple other options that I don't quite have hashed out but I think might also be worth considering.

The first is the Engineer's Loupe. This equipable item can be bought from the Mechanic for 2 gold, and has the same function as the Magnifying Glass, is persistent while equipped, has no range limitation, and also shows details about what wires are located under the cursor.

The second is the Nerd Glasses (subject to change if that's just too stigmatized). These are the ultimate in vision wear, which can be bought from the Goblin Tinkerer for 1 platinum. Not only do they do all of the above, they also break the fourth wall and provide the underlying data IDs ("Oh hey, this slime banner is tile 91/91, and the glass is wall 21!") only we technical wonks would care about.

Thoughts on this? Yea, nay? Is it even worth expanding on the two upgrades?

Those suggestions that defy range are going to cause problems with Fog of War (if you can even call it that in Terraria), but the main idea is pretty clever.

Those suggestions that defy range are going to cause problems with Fog of War (if you can even call it that in Terraria), but the main idea is pretty clever.

Good point, I hadn't thought of how it would work with the map. I think in 1.2.4 1.2.3 (checked the version history) they fixed the map so ores and items of interest would only be identified if they've received enough light. The same filter would need apply to the items so they don't break the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom