PC Abusing the Shield of Cthulu for Fun and Profit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ψeud

Terrarian
Gentlemen, we are gathered here today to celebrate the newfound purpose of what seemed like a useless boss drop--at least, compared to all the other ones.

After some testing, I have discovered that dashing with the Shield negates contact damage for the duration of the dash. Paradoxically, this means that it is possible to survive encounters far past your gear level by charging towards the enemy. This includes bosses. Make of that what you will.

I believe we have a potential game-breaker/cheese factory on our hands. What do you guys think is the best application of this?

Last edited:
Isn't that true of most of the expert mode items? I mean, the Gravity Globe is just like a permanent gravity potion (Albeit you can't use it unless you're on the ground), and don't even get me started on the Mechanical Minecart. Literally the best way to farm Moon Lord if you use a Daybreak.

The ability to DASH pre-hardmode alone is incredibly useful.
Back in 1.2 I used to trash every tabi I found, thinking it was useless. But the Shield of Cthulhu really opened my eyes to its value in utility.

As for uses for the invincibility:
I found it incredibly useful for Skeletron Prime. Whenever he tried to swipe me with his hands I just dash into them and harmlessly bounce off.
Same goes for Spazmatism's second form. When he goes into his crazy dashes, just dash right back and butt heads with him.

Its ability to hit things is counter-productive to its evasive potential because you end up losing the momentum you have and then become a much easier target. For example, you try to dash away from Skeletron, but you hit its hand and instead end up going towards it.

You can't 'charge' with it all the time, so if you're trying to 'abuse' it, it'll end up just getting you killed. So, there's really no 'abusing' here, particularly if the mechanic was intentionally like this.

Abuse? Not quite. But I just defeated expert plantera on an expert solo run with no outside-world influences, and I have had the shield of cthulhu equipped throughout the entire game because of its ability to get you out of tight situations, either by dashing away from an enemy, or intentionally dashing toward one you can't otherwise get away from. It and the daedalus stormbow are two of my favorite things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom