PC Actual Building Vs. Building In 3rd Party Programs

StickyQuote

Spazmatism
So, I'm conflicted. Terraria is my 'zen game' of sorts, something I always boot up to pass time when I'm bored of other things, and have accumulated roughly 3700 hours in it.

I like to build, but whenever I go in, to do it, I always either whip out tools from another world to destroy what I've built out of distaste or better ideas, and basically, the whole build, destroyer, rebuild, all while having to deal with enemies, summons not withstanding, idea... is just... leaving me kind of bothered. It's hampering my building enjoyment.

Then you have things like TEdit, which let you build and make adjustments in peace. Technically, you're simulating countless Terraria days and nights just getting things built, avoiding enemies altogether, and all around having an easier time.

So, here's my question Terraria community: Should I feel ashamed that I don't have the patience and want to build in Tedit? Or have I sunk enough hours in to do as I please without seeming like a total cheeser? I know, fun is subjective, but like, Is there a merit in doing everything by hand in Terraria itself? Or is using programs after so long common sense? Would any of the devs of the game see creativity through building programs as subversion of their game? After so long, I've grown tired of fighting bosses and running through biomes that aren't decorated with things, some things woven in to fit into the biomes, like a jungle treehouse, or a frozen lake with a log cabin next to it in the snow biome.

So I want to decorate and build extravagantly, but... I've reached a point where doing it in-game is being tedious. Is this normal? Sorry, I'm rambling a bit, just trying to get input from people who have either played as long as me or near it, what they do for fun these days, maybe even dev input if it's possible!

Aside the one guy who liked the initial post at the time of writing this, now I'm starting to feel like a madman. I sure hope I don't have more hours than both the devs and those who do youtube content for Terraria. I rarely post here or show off what I build or anything.

Was hoping someone could relate to my situation. Ooof. xD

I certainly understand building things in-game being tedious. The constant waves of flying fish, nimbuses, red moons, eclipses, and invasions can really get on someone's nerves. Mine as well. (3000+ game hours)
I usually have a Dragon out, so he can take care of most enemies, but whenever a red moon, eclipse or invasion happens, I have no other choice than to deal with it.

So I definitely understand why some people are hoping for a creative mode in this game, where you're free of enemies and can build to your heart's content.

TL: DR; I can relate.

I certainly understand building things in-game being tedious. The constant waves of flying fish, nimbuses, red moons, eclipses, and invasions can really get on someone's nerves. Mine as well. (3000+ game hours)
I usually have a Dragon out, so he can take care of most enemies, but whenever a red moon, eclipse or invasion happens, I have no other choice than to deal with it.

So I definitely understand why some people are hoping for a creative mode in this game, where you're free of enemies and can build to your heart's content.

TL: DR; I can relate.
Alright, awesome. Yeah, I usually go out of my way to have a stardust dragon, like pulled from an all items world or something. It's just massively frustrating when you wanna do a run where you're not touching anything from outside the world you play on.

Also curious if, as a result of wanting a creative-ish mode, and thus is building via T-Edit... cheating in a sense? I'm kinda curious how other people see such things, since building in-game can be very tedious and annoying if you're doing large builds, are we as players kinda defeating the 'purpose' of building in Terraria.

Do we as players and the devs mayhaps value the end result more? Or how much time one has sunk into the game itself in building these large builds?

Also curious if, as a result of wanting a creative-ish mode, and thus is building via T-Edit... cheating in a sense?
I'm sure opinions will differ over this, but my stance is that anyone should do whatever they want when playing their games, as long as it doesn't negatively affect another person's game experience. E.g. cheating in multiplayer is a no-go (unless everyone agrees with it).
Other than that, cheat, mod, glitch away, if that makes your game experience better. You won't hurt your computer's feelings. ;)

I'm sure opinions will differ over this, but my stance is that anyone should do whatever they want when playing their games, as long as it doesn't negatively affect another person's game experience. E.g. cheating in multiplayer is a no-go (unless everyone agrees with it).
Other than that, cheat, mod, glitch away, if that makes your game experience better. You won't hurt your computer's feelings. ;)
Haha, alrighty. I know it's just you but I appreciate the feedback, especially because I kinda feel like that's the case, just wanted to hear it from someone else. Besides, I bet the Terraria devs don't think things like mods and what not are cheating really. Only Bethesda is that derp or something.

I suppose at the end of the day, sometimes I'm just seeking validation from other people, seeing what other people have determined about their gameplay experience. I bet the people who did things like zen gardens, meditation, etc, didn't feel their time was wasted, even though at it's core, they mostly were factually moving sand and rocks and plants around, and sitting on their butts.

As long as I'm enjoying building, who cares how I do it and what not. It's not hurting anyone and it's my time, etc.

Only problem is I get lonely a lot cause I'm so content with how often I solo in Terraria. Maybe that's what showing off building and stuff and the forums are for? :p

It might depend on how you approach it. You might want to build in peace, and that's fine. For me, I get a couple of summons* to let them deal with enemies. While building, those enemies might give me rare drops so I don't have to try and get them later. I also like getting the invasions, Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse while building for the same reasons; banners, coins, drops and so on.
* But summons have their own problems - they frequently hover at 'roof' height and obscure your view.

Another factor is how long it takes to obtain the materials. Clearing out three Underworlds to build an obsidian castle is tedious. Sometimes rare drops in these cases, sometimes not. Not to mention the effort and costs of applying different paint or swapping wood types!

Terraria is an amazing game for building and people have created some incredible things. No, you shouldn't feel ashamed of using TEdit to build and try out your ideas.

It might depend on how you approach it. You might want to build in peace, and that's fine. For me, I get a couple of summons* to let them deal with enemies. While building, those enemies might give me rare drops so I don't have to try and get them later. I also like getting the invasions, Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse while building for the same reasons; banners, coins, drops and so on.
* But summons have their own problems - they frequently hover at 'roof' height and obscure your view.

Another factor is how long it takes to obtain the materials. Clearing out three Underworlds to build an obsidian castle is tedious. Sometimes rare drops in these cases, sometimes not. Not to mention the effort and costs of applying different paint or swapping wood types!

Terraria is an amazing game for building and people have created some incredible things. No, you shouldn't feel ashamed of using TEdit to build and try out your ideas.
This was the kind of input I was hoping for; thanks for this, really helped set my mind at ease. I appreciate the feed back from both you and Gotcha, sets my mind at ease. Think I'll actually send my first community showcase entry for the winter theme. :)

Back
Top Bottom