Game Mechanics Actually Effective Summoner Lifesteal

652Graystripe

Plantera
I don't need ya'll who are opposed to lifesteal in general. Don't bug me about this. It wasn't my idea in the first place and has nothing to do with the suggestion.

Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Summoner lifesteal. This is one of the threads where I want to be very transparent, in hopes of discouraging Strawman. To do this, I'll be outlining the possible solutions in a spoiler format. Read 'em if you wish.

TL;DR: An AoE healing station that benefits summoners only and provides them with good lifesteal.

Lunar_Portal_Staff.png

Naw. Not this one. Not only does it shift a lot of focus to a single minion, even if balanced right, it also has great potential to be abused by summoners - I mean, a quick seven to eight minions is available with most armor/accessory combinations, and there's really no sacrifice if you get lifesteal for that.

I've seen this used a lot of the time in lifesteal suggestions, but I really dislike it. Although it's a good way to pay for your lifesteal, there are so many accessories out there that they can easily override it - for example (in the case of Spectre Armor) a Mage Emblem and Avenger Emblem together come close to overriding the debuff, and combined with a Mech Glove almost completely negate it. Granted, not ideal, but you're no longer a weakling. To boot, it can often have effects based on the minions used, since they're so diverse - it may be much less efficient with the slower-attacking Fire Imps than, say, the Twins.

Naw. Consumables have always had a back-stage role in the game; not necessary, but sure handy. I recommend them, obviously, but they're not a huge deal. So it would go against the grain to force a buff in order to get lifesteal. A clickable, such as the Crystal Ball or Bewitching Table, is also very area-dependent and not for use in heavy fire.

The Gray solution!
Summoner has always been the class that requires the best preparation. Arenas, plans, healing - the works. If you ever saw Yrimir play during his well-publicized and all-too-often-cited playthrough of Summoner, you'd notice that he did so much preparation we almost got bored watching. Some of us did, in fact. But what the heck. I digress.

AoE things, man. AoE. In particular:

Cursed Keystone
index.php
TL;DR - @J-50N is amazing
*Placeable, has a radius of 45 blocks, can be turned on or off by right-clicking
*Only effects players who have 5+ minions out (not factoring in Eldritch Curse)
*Gives "Eldritch Curse" (de)buff

Crafted with:
*Bewitching Table
*10 Ectoplasm

Eldritch Curse
index.php
Thanks, @J-50N!
'Is it a curse... or a blessing?'
*-30% summoned damage
*-1 minions out
*Grants +10 HP/sec in combat, +4 HP/sec out of combat

Last edited:
I feel obligated to post here and say that - please keep it civil. I didn't suggest this just to make flamewars. You guys can fight all you want, just don't drag me in. I'm hoping that you guys can actually give suggestions to improve this suggestion, rather than just say "no, this shouldn't be in-game."
[DOUBLEPOST=1436507377,1436507293][/DOUBLEPOST]Dammit, I almost forgot (and my edit button is obscured by some graphics, so that's not working) - a point of personal confusion here is whether it should be cheaper, allowing you to mass-produce these towers, and maybe pre-Pumpkin Moon.

Also gonna summon some folks. @Scironex @TerrariamcSwaggins @Baconfry @Pinelord @SzGamer227

The Pumpkin Moon is optional, and should not be forced into progression for a class.

That's my opinion, at least, but given the fact that one of the most important Summoner Accessories is dropped in that event...

It sounds cool to me. Only problem that I have is that It should be obtainable before pumpkin moon. Pumpkin moon has some good loot for summoners and the keystone could be helpful during it and other events.

how is this different than your objection to the accessory except for not requiring a slot be taken up and therefore even more easily countered with other accessories?

Minus two minions is pretty damn harsh. That basically takes a devoted Summoner and nearly cuts his minion power in half, and then lays an additional -30% damage on top of that. All can say is that the lifesteal had better be pretty damn good to compensate for that nightmarish penalty, and that this setup would be completely useless for timed events such as the Pumpkin and Frost Moon.

How about a minion staff that summons a minion that instead of dealing damage it heals you and players on the same party as you (not via lifesteal, just heals like how nurse heals other town npcs)? With that, you sacrifice damage for survivability. I dunno about the stats, but it should be hard to get so other classes can't just easily get it for extra healing.

How about a minion staff that summons a minion that instead of dealing damage it heals you and players on the same party as you (not via lifesteal, just heals like how nurse heals other town npcs)? With that, you sacrifice damage for survivability. I dunno about the stats, but it should be hard to get so other classes can't just easily get it for extra healing.
Pretty sure I suggested something like that a way back.
Minus two minions is pretty damn harsh. That basically takes a devoted Summoner and nearly cuts his minion power in half, and then lays an additional -30% damage on top of that. All can say is that the lifesteal had better be pretty damn good to compensate for that nightmarish penalty, and that this setup would be completely useless for timed events such as the Pumpkin and Frost Moon.
It may have been my tired brain that said that was a good idea, because "having -30% damage won't affect much if he has a lot of minions." Let me change that to one minion or maybe just remove it.
It sounds cool to me. Only problem that I have is that It should be obtainable before pumpkin moon. Pumpkin moon has some good loot for summoners and the keystone could be helpful during it and other events.
Yeah; I was also thinking of taking out the Bewitching Table, 'cause you only find that once or twice per world. Any suggestions for materials? I was thinking maybe Chlorophyte Bars or something, plus the Spectre, but that just makes the grind worse.

Nice idea. I'm not a particular fan of lifesteal or the Summoner class in general, but this seems fairly well balanced (If not underpowered) and would be helpful to have lifesteal for the squishy Summoners.
Have a sprite for the debuff.
Eldritch Curse.png

Sprite based on the one in the Cthulhu suggestion by @drain.

Nice idea. I'm not a particular fan of lifesteal or the Summoner class in general, but this seems fairly well balanced (If not underpowered) and would be helpful to have lifesteal for the squishy Summoners.
Have a sprite for the debuff.
View attachment 62250
Sprite based on the one in the Cthulhu suggestion by @drain.
Hey, thanks a ton! It really helps. After trying to do some sprites for this I decided "screw it, I hope someone's feeling friendly" and left it at that.

Hey, thanks a ton! It really helps. After trying to do some sprites for this I decided "screw it, I hope someone's feeling friendly" and left it at that.
You're very welcome, but I can't guarantee I'll get the Cursed Keystone done. It would help if you could give me a general outline of what you want it to look like, and I'll see what I can do.

You're very welcome, but I can't guarantee I'll get the Cursed Keystone done. It would help if you could give me a general outline of what you want it to look like, and I'll see what I can do.
I was thinking of a table, smaller at the bottom than at the top, that appears to be ancient and Dungeonish. Veins of blue flow through it (not necessarily animated, it's okay) and culminate in a glowing blue ball on top.

I was thinking of a table, smaller at the bottom than at the top, that appears to be ancient and Dungeonish. Veins of blue flow through it (not necessarily animated, it's okay) and culminate in a glowing blue ball on top.
I took a few liberties with your description, but I think it came out all right.
The left one is the inactive state, and the right one is the active state when there is a valid summoner to affect.
Cursed Keystone.png

EDIT: Animated Active Version
Cursed Keystone.gif

Last edited:
All the yes. All of them. Take it all.

Honestly i'd probably just use this as an on or off. On while im starting to get squished or need to take a boss with maximum living precautions, Off when im doing something like events and such where i dont need lifesteal but putting it back on when im dealing with bosses that are actually starting to take my health down.

Back
Top Bottom