Weapons & Equip Actually, I'm Just Going To Make a Megathread: Item Reworks & New Feature Requests by Glyph

Which of these do you support, if any?

• Total voters

Glyph

Terrarian
(^ at the poll above, dyeing minions*. I misspelled it 'dying' and now am not allowed to edit it. Darnit.)

Hello there! I'm your friendly neighborhood Glyph. I've been playing since around 1.2, and I have nearly 2,000 hours on Terraria. I'd like to discuss some changes I'd like to see to the game, in no particular order; I will edit this thread (and bump in accordance with sufficiently content-replete updates) as I come up with new ideas, and new ideas will simply be appended to the end of the main post, so they will appear in chaotic order.

Here are some of my ideas:

Buff the Brain of Confusion.
The Brain of Confusion is pretty weak. It's vastly inferior to its Corrupt counterpart, the Worm Scarf; while the Brain is generally not useful when it is even first found, the Worm Scarf remains useful throughout the entire game. 70% of all enemies in the game are entirely immune to the effect of the Brain of Confusion. My idea for a buff to the Brain of Confusion involves one of two things, either a stacking buff or a stacking debuff. As the player attacks enemies, the player either:

Gains a stacking buff. The buff adds and increases the player's chance to dodge attacks by a certain percent for each stack gained; stacks accrue quickly, with no cooldown time between each stack gained, but also disappear at the same rate, causing the player to remain in the fight and consistently damaging enemies to keep their survivability up.
Deals a stacking debuff, which is my personal preference between the two. The player causes a debuff called something along the lines of Concussed or Dazed. Each stack of this debuff applies a % chance that the enemy will miss when attacking, dealing no damage. Likely this would cap out around 15 or 20%. This would be quite pointless against trash mobs that would die to your attacks quicker than you would benefit from the debuff, but it would be incredible for bosses, meriting its own slot.

Additionally, while I don't support the combination of Expert mode items in most cases, because the Brain is so weak, it could be combined into the
Star Veil or the Sweetheart Necklace, giving it more utility when stacked with other items.

Buff the Suspicious Looking Tentacle.
The Suspicious Looking Tentacle is a pretty underwhelming reward for defeating the Moon Lord on Expert mode! Most people seem to agree; its minor treasure-revealing effect is pointless by the time you've reached that stage, and its light is not that much better than that of the Wisp in a Bottle. Instead, I suggest the following buffs to its utility:

The Suspicious Looking Tentacle, instead of projecting a simple light, produces a long, bright cone of light like a flashlight, targeted at the player's cursor. This would give it more utility and control than the Wisp in a Bottle. The length of this cone of light is infinite, constricted likely by the player's screen to prevent having to update the lighting for all of the blocks caught in its range.
2. The cone of light punctures walls, either lighting all blocks inside of the cone equally so that they can be seen clearly on the map, or providing the full effect of a Spelunker potion, highlighting all treasure clearly. If you're going to give it a treasure-detecting effect, go all in! I like the former half of this idea better, because it would help in getting a more complete map.
3. The cone of light also highlights all enemies in bright red, much like a Hunter potion, and the pet itself even detects all enemies within 40 tiles of the player, highlighting them as well.

A dedicated slot for minions.
Please! Most people only have one minion type, because there are objectively superior tiers of them. As such, you should be able to place your Summoning weapon into a slot with the rest of the misc. equipment, causing it to be auto-spawned to its maximum capacity whenever possible. This would also allow you to...

Allow dyes to be used on minions.
Yes indeed! With a dedicated slot for minion summoning items, you could also have a dye slot, which would affect the color of summoned minions from that item.

Allow dyes to affect the light color of light pets.
This is a pretty simple idea. You could put an eye icon to the top right of the dye slot, and toggling it on would change the light color and not just the appearance of the pet, and toggling it off would only change the appearance of the pet itself.

Allow dyes to be used on weapons.
This one I'm not so sure is easy. It's color coded different because I'm less certain it's something the devs could do, but it merits mention nonetheless: if possible, weapons should be dyeable. The easiest solution to me would be to give you a slot that just holds dyes in the misc. section, which is labeled for weapons and tools. This would dye every tool and weapon used with the dye placed in that slot, and (with luck) dye their effects too. It's not that I think this is impossible, but it seems like such a difficult undertaking that it might not be worth the effort, but it would be huge for style points.

Rework the Celestial Tower Wings to have unique combat effects.
These are the endgame wings, and yet are not that much more interesting than simple upgrades to other wings, and moreover the Stardust/Solar and Nebula/Vortex wings are just functionally identical. Instead, I propose the following ideas:

Nebula Mantle gains a 50% boost to horizontal speed, with ascent speed comparable to other base wing types. In addition to this, each beat of the Nebula Mantle's wings rains high-damage, non-piercing stars below the player.
2. Solar Wings retain their 50% ascent speed, and cast off fiery feathers that hang in the air; when enemies come in contact with them, they take a large tick of damage, are afflicted by the Daybroken debuff, and the feather disappears. The feathers could simply follow the player through the air, or a big cloud of them could disperse upon takeoff, with a cooldown to prevent spamming.
Stardust Wings get a balanced 25% general flight speed, and shroud the player in a circle of small Star Cells while in flight, that seek out and deal high damage to enemies that stray too close to the player while in flight.
4. Vortex Boosters get a 100% max ascent speed, but reach their max ascent speed after a few moments of flight, and have -25% horizontal move speed, giving them more vertical speed. When taking off, the Vortex Boosters throw all nearby enemies back, with a cooldown. While airborne with the Vortex Boosters, the player gains a buff called Air Superiority, which applies a 15% damage buff to all arrow and bullet weapons and 25% buff to rocket damage.

Yadda, yadda, Throwing Weapon class.
I know for a fact that a lot of other people have suggested expanded throwing weapon options. I support this idea, so I might as well throw a mention of it in here.

Integrate the Hand Warmer and Pocket Mirror into the Ankh Shield.
I know, I know, it seems like a lot, right? But the Ankh Shield is a massive investment requiring a lot of work, and it still consumes a whole slot which might be useful for something else, so it only makes sense to lump in almost all of the debuff-mitigating items in. The Hand Warmer is a seasonal item, which would obviously be problematic, but the Ankh Shield already provides immunity to Chilled, and so should also give immunity to Frozen. The Pocket Mirror only applies to one enemy, and so it wouldn't even be that huge of a buff, and it doesn't make sense that it's not involved in the Ankh Shield. I feel like the Pocket Mirror should really just be integrated into the Blindfold, which is strangely the only non-combined item used in the Shield and makes more sense thematically, since you would be unable to see a Medusa through your blindfold.

Buff Cursed Flames.
This one is pretty flat-out: Cursed Flames suck. It's so, so much worse than Ichor, it's not even funny. The debuff inflicted by Cursed Flames is almost useless, as are most Damage Over Time effects in Terraria, because you'll do so much damage per hit that the damage over time is pointless; yet Ichor remains useful throughout the entire game, no matter the circumstance.

I propose the following:

Cursed Inferno slows normal enemies afflicted by it. Additionally, it stacks with itself up to 4 times, dealing 24 damage per tick at maximum, but the stacks wear off somewhat quickly except for the first one, requiring consistent reapplication of the debuff.

Buff the Scourge of the Corruptor.
The Scourge of the Corruptor, like Cursed Flames, is hugely overshadowed by its Crimson counterpart, Vampire Knives. As such, it deserves a buff. I propose the following:

The miniature Corruptors spawned by the main spear latch onto enemies, inflicting a debuff called Distracted which slightly slows enemies, but more importantly, reduces the afflicted enemy's outgoing damage by somewhere around 20%. Bosses cannot be slowed, but are affected by the outgoing damage debuff. Sure, that seems pretty powerful, but it would have to be to make it competitive with Vampire Knives!

Buff Damage Over Time debuffs in general.
Why is like everything immune to Venom?! I think damage over time debuffs should either be addressed individually and have an additional effect added to compensate for their relative uselessness, or have their damage affected in some way as to make them actually, genuinely useful and powerful. The number of enemies immune to Venom should also seriously be reduced; why are Snow Flinxes, Scorpions and actual friggin' human pirates immune to Venom!?

Provide the ability to toggle some weapon sprites on and off, making them always visible in your character's hands.
This is one I'm also unsure of in terms of 'likelihood', but it's still an idea I'd love to see nonetheless. I think it would provide a smoother visual transition into attacking, and would additionally help complete the aesthetics of certain characters. So, instead of an S.D.M.G. appearing in your hands when you fire it, it's always there, following your cursor as you aim it around. Could synergize with the dyed weapons idea above, as well!

Enforce a time limit on invasions.
There should absolutely be a time limit on Goblin, Pirate and Martian invasions. Most players make their spawn point in the center of the map where they would spawn, and while it can be avoided by simply setting the player's spawn point away from where the invasion takes place, having invasions be infinite means that mediumcore players can be forced to completely restart their world or invedit their items back because a never-ending invasion is now spawncamping them. Invasions need some kind of time limit, even if it's a generous one; they should eventually terminate on their own, so that the player can stop getting mercilessly spawncamped.

Support minions!
Yes, indeed! I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but I can't imagine it hasn't been before, considering it seems like such a simple concept. I believe that there should be minions that buff and support their summoner instead of merely dealing damage; balanced, of course, by the fact that for each one you have summoned, you're sacrificing potential DPS instead. Support minions could periodically heal their Summoner, shield them, increase passive regen, provide different buffs, etc. One cute idea I had was an Illuminant Bat minion that provides chaotic, random buffs to its Summoner, periodically giving them increased regen, damage output, etc.

Their abilities could scale off of Summoning damage, and Summoning damage could instead be renamed to 'Summoning Strength' or something along those lines to give it a broader purpose.

Make the Band of Starpower acquirable on all worlds.
This one is pretty simple. The Band of Starpower is almost necessary for magic combat due to the power of the Celestial Cuffs for which they are an ingredient. There is no reason the Band of Starpower shouldn't just be an item found in caves; they should be available on every world so that magic players who choose a Crimson world don't have to then go over to a Corruption world to get one.

The Battle Standard: A Banner Accessory
This one is, as well, pretty simple! I think there should be an accessory, possibly one acquirable early on, that permits you to wear two banners of any kind. It would likely be crafted with a pre-hardmode material that may be difficult to acquire like gold, and you would combine two banners into it using the Tinkerer's Workshop. This accessory would grant you the banner buffs provided by the banners you chose at all times.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I have for now! Check back once in a while to see if I've updated! :>

Last edited:
But a lot of dedicated Summoners use two different kinds of minions, at least until the endgame.
Not totally sure about the Summon Staff slot.

But a lot of dedicated Summoners use two different kinds of minions, at least until the endgame.
Not totally sure about the Summon Staff slot.
The Summon Staff slot wouldn't be mandatory, hopefully; it's really just to help non-Summoners not have to remember to resummon their minions every time. You could still use summoning staves as usual. Dye placed in the corresponding slot, for Summoners using multiple minions, could color all minions summoned in general.

EDIT: Additional idea: a dedicated button could be used to summon the minion in that specific slot, so it would let you take one of your staves out of your inventory and give you a way to dye minions, and summon/resummon one type of minion by pressing a button, while the rest could be summoned the normal way.

Last edited:
I've already added a few things, including the ability to force weapons to be visible even when not in use, enforcing a time limit on invasions to prevent permanent spawncamping for mediumcore players, and the concept of Support Minions to help diversify the Summoner class.

Let me know what you guys think!

umm... sorry dude but i think this thread is going to be taken down as there are allready enough megathreads. reworks are just another suggestion

umm... sorry dude but i think this thread is going to be taken down as there are allready enough megathreads. reworks are just another suggestion
Uh...

The guidelines and suggestions specifically encourages making portfolios like this one; a single, condensed thread containing every idea and request I have for the game. A mod literally locked my old thread and linked to this one, indicating that it was just fine and that at least one mod had seen it.

In fact, a lot of my suggestions are new and contain my own take on what should be done, not just a copy of an old suggestion, and the guidelines state that there is a lot of leeway on what is a 'duplicate'.

:\

Updated again, this time including the option to make the Band of Starpower available on all worlds, and the Battle Standard concept. I may return later with an idea for fixing up some of the 'basic' ores so that they compete with their alternate counterparts instead of just being objectively worse in most respects.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom