Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Anomaly: When placing an Actuator onto a Space then a Living Wood Platform, or the Living Wood Platform first then the Actuator, the Actuator Rod cannot activate the Actuator & set the Living Wood Platform inactive... but wiring it to a Switch then flipping the Switch works correctly. After setting the Living Wood Platform inactive, I can then Grand Design cut out the Actuator to leave the Living Wood Platform set inactive permanently & hope this is Intended cause it's my plan with it. In case it matters, the Background Wall these 2 items are mounted onto is a Red Brick Wall.

Is it a Bug or Intended for the Actuator Rod to be picky/finicky about when it is & is not willing to interact with a specific Actuator on a specific Block Type?

Thank you so much for your time. :)

Is the Living Wood Platform the only block you've observed this behaviour with? If you haven't checked any other blocks, that's fine - just trying to get an idea on what might be affected.

My apologies for the delay in response... after 4 days of no response I feared this Forum had died & only thought to check it again today after the 1.4.2 Update News while trying to determine if the Link on that News Article about where to Post about Bugs did lead to here or if it'd confirm my suspicion that i'd Posted this Bug Report in the wrong place... if not the wrong Site...

I have yet to find any additional culprits in erroneous Actuator Rod to Block Type behavior thus far.

I'm glad I had Posted this in the right Site & place after all.

The forums is very active, but the bug reports forums tend to be less active compared to other forum areas.

I have yet to find any additional culprits in erroneous Actuator Rod to Block Type behavior thus far.
Thank you for confirming! I'll check it and report if I can reproduce.

I can't reproduce this issue at all, but its a little complicated, so I'll describe what I'm seeing:

Attempt 1:
- I placed an Actuator down. I then placed a Living Wood Platform on that space. I then used the Actuator Rod, and it successfully turned the Living Wood Platform to inactive (as expected)

Attempt 2:
- I placed a Living Wood Platform down, and then I placed an Actuator on that space. I then used the Actuator Rod, and it successfully turned the Living Wood Platform to inactive (as expected)

I tried this both on and off background walls.

As for the secondary thing, yes, it is intended that you can remove an actuator from an inactive block and leave it "stuck" in the inactive state. This works for things like Dart Traps, where you can make them inactive, remove the actuator, and then still wire them up to shoot darts (without being solid blocks). At least last time I checked.

I can't reproduce this issue at all, but its a little complicated, so I'll describe what I'm seeing:

Attempt 1:
- I placed an Actuator down. I then placed a Living Wood Platform on that space. I then used the Actuator Rod, and it successfully turned the Living Wood Platform to inactive (as expected)

Attempt 2:
- I placed a Living Wood Platform down, and then I placed an Actuator on that space. I then used the Actuator Rod, and it successfully turned the Living Wood Platform to inactive (as expected)

I tried this both on and off background walls.

As for the secondary thing, yes, it is intended that you can remove an actuator from an inactive block and leave it "stuck" in the inactive state. This works for things like Dart Traps, where you can make them inactive, remove the actuator, and then still wire them up to shoot darts (without being solid blocks). At least last time I checked.
Oh wow... I never knew about the possibility of functional Inactive State Dart Firing... I should try that...

As for reproduction... i'll try expanding the info: The specific thing I was doing this for was that I have a Campfire sitting right in middle of the 3 Blocks that places it roughly dead center to World Spawn, & there's a vertical shaft in my Player-Built Living Wood Tree. The Living Wood Platform in question sits in the Block Space directly above the top center Block Space of this Campfire set to be permanently Inactive. Directly above the Living Wood Platform in Inactive State, is a string of vertical Rope, the bottom segment of which ends on the Block Space directly above the Living Wood Platform. Possibly also relevant, the Living Wood Platform is in its default state, no Hammer Adjustments. It's on my to-do list to replace the Rope with the intended to use Vine Rope if I ever manage to find a Guide to Fiber Cordage one of these days. The reason for my placing the Inactive State Living Wood Platform how I did was to trick the Rope into blending with it to try to present the illusion of the Rope's bottom going into/onto a something that is holding it & making damn well sure it's not allowed to dangle 'dangerously close to the Campfire Flames & git lit'. ;)

Naturally the Platform was set to permanently Inactive cause having to bump into it then finish the drop on the way down would be annoying, yet after experimentation I discovered that it's totally doable to have the bottom of Rope exactly 4 Blocks high from the Floor & have it grabbable to climb up it... so it works. I'm kinda amateur at the Roleplay Aesthetic Building kinda stuff... this is my first try at it. In hindsight, it mighta been a bad idea for me to underestimate the Campfire's potential to be a possible culprit in the Buggage...

Edit: Snuck into my World, took Screenie, then Cropped it to show the Campfire, Rope, Inactive State Living Wood Platform, & such to try to give better idea. It's been only a few minutes & i'm already losing hope that it alone could be enough info without this Screenie.

Attachments

• Terraria Actuator Rod Bug Screenie1.png
    Terraria Actuator Rod Bug Screenie1.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Could you please post a screenshot of your setup? Some furniture items protect the blocks around them from being actuated. This might be what has happened for you,

Could you please post a screenshot of your setup? Some furniture items protect the blocks around them from being actuated. This might be what has happened for you,
Lol turns out I was right to get the Screenie done.

If there's intent to prevent Actuation around some items, then shouldn't that mean both the Actuator Rod way and the Wired Switch way?

P.S. The Switches in the Screenie are Wired away from the Inactive Wood Platform, and were Installed after the Living Wood Platform being put in then the Actuator Rod attempt failure. I borrowed one of the Switches to test manual Actuating with Wire Switch & that worked, then I snipped out the Actuator & Wire on that Block Space & then Wired those 2 Switches for their actual Intended job, Actuating Living Wood Platforms set over standard issue Lava Pits for Base Defense for easy loot grabbing. After I got this done, exactly one Cave Spelunk later, I found a Lava Charm & eventually got my Terraspark Boots, obsoleting all that effort. :p

I built the structure in your picture, but I'm still not able to reproduce the issue.

The Actuator Rod appropriately actuates/deactuates the platform as expected (as long as the actuator is still present). It is directly above the campfire, with rope directly above it. I tried with and without switches to the sides.

I'll admit, I'm having a bit of a difficult time following your narrative of the purpose for this; it might help if you focused on the exact mechanics of the issue and not the broader purpose of it (not that I'm not interested, but its making it hard to follow your explanation of the setup).

@Tyrax Lightning so I tried out this world, and attempted to use the actuator rod on the platform above the campfire, and it worked immediately. No issues at all.

However, I noticed there is no actuator ON that platform . . . ? I had to add one myself to make it work. Was it possible you removed it and forgot to replace it?

Also worth noting, due to the relative darkness of Living Wood platforms, and the dim lighting, is it possible you couldn't tell that the actuation change was happening? I'll admit that with the Actuator overlay, its rather hard to see the difference when they change.

Back
Top Bottom