NPCs & Enemies Add Chests as a drop to Mimics.

Sanpiper

Steampunker
My idea's relatively simple; add chests as a (somewhat rare) drop from mimics (not including hallowed/evil mimics), which would make chests renewable.
Currently, if you want to use Shadow Chests to store items, you are limited to the small amount in the world, and while there are a larger amount of Golden Chests, it is still limited.

Each mimic would drop its own type of chest; a Golden Mimic would drop a Golden Chest, a Shadow Mimic would drop a Shadow Chest, etc, and the drop rate would be relatively low (perhaps 10%).

Yeah, it totally makes sense for mimics to drop chests since they are chests themselves. 10% might be too rare though, I agree with Sapphire here, that is should be a 100% drop. I never use world generated chests just because you have to loot them, so this is an amazing solution.

I think it'd just make more sense to make Golden Chests craftable with 8 Gold Bars and Shadow Chests craftable with 8 Demonite Bars, since both are renewable materials through fishing and/or boss fights. Makes less clutter and is much more convenient than if Mimics dropped potentially unwanted chests.

I think it'd just make more sense to make Golden Chests craftable with 8 Gold Bars and Shadow Chests craftable with 8 Demonite Bars, since both are renewable materials through fishing and/or boss fights. Makes less clutter and is much more convenient than if Mimics dropped potentially unwanted chests.
That is a good idea for a modded QoL change. Do I have your permission to add that to me and my team's mod?

That is a good idea for a modded QoL change. Do I have your permission to add that to me and my team's mod?

I mean, sure. Not like I own the idea, especially one that's as simple as that.

If you want some more crafting ideas for other nonrenewable chests, I'll put a few here as well.

• Ivy Chests: Can be made with 8 Wood, 2 Jungle Spores, 2 Iron Bars
  • Water Chests: Can be made with 8 Coral, 2 Iron Bars
  • Web-Covered Chests: Can be made with 1 Chest, 8 Cobweb
  • All Dungeon Biome Chests: Can be made with 1 Biome Key, 2 Iron Bars

I mean, sure. Not like I own the idea, especially one that's as simple as that.

If you want some more crafting ideas for other nonrenewable chests, I'll put a few here as well.

• Ivy Chests: Can be made with 8 Wood, 2 Jungle Spores, 2 Iron Bars
  • Water Chests: Can be made with 8 Coral, 2 Iron Bars
  • Web-Covered Chests: Can be made with 1 Chest, 8 Cobweb
  • All Dungeon Biome Chests: Can be made with 1 Biome Key, 2 Iron Bars
Perfect, thank you for this.

Unfortunately Mimics spawned by the Chest Statue don't drop loot. If they did, your idea would be even better, allowing you to collect those chests by wiring up the statue in different areas to get the mimic chest you want (above underground, underground, underworld, snow/ice).

Also this idea makes me want to obtain usable chest versions of the Corrupt, Crimson and Hallowed Mimics!

Unfortunately Mimics spawned by the Chest Statue don't drop loot. If they did, your idea would be even better, allowing you to collect those chests by wiring up the statue in different areas to get the mimic chest you want (above underground, underground, underworld, snow/ice).

Also this idea makes me want to obtain usable chest versions of the Corrupt, Crimson and Hallowed Mimics!
If a mimic created a chest if summoned by a statue, I'd imagine the chest would drop as an item since there would be no place for the chest to go.

This suggestion in general could probably be implemented similar to how gravestones are created, sort of bouncing around before being placed. Sure, that could be annoying to try to chase in a large cave, but maybe it'd 'bounce less' then a normal gravestone.

How about big chests that can store 100 stacks, instead of 40. (Though, this starts to become a separate idea.)

TIL you can't craft gold or shadow chests, and I've been playing this game for 8 years now lol

Anyway, I have to say I agree with Tarluk, chests as drops would just make for more inventory clutter.

This suggestion in general could probably be implemented similar to how gravestones are created, sort of bouncing around before being placed. Sure, that could be annoying to try to chase in a large cave, but maybe it'd 'bounce less' then a normal gravestone.
Also, if the chest had nowhere to place, it would simply drop as an item along with the normal mimic drops.

My idea's relatively simple; add chests as a (somewhat rare) drop from mimics (not including hallowed/evil mimics), which would make chests renewable.
Currently, if you want to use Shadow Chests to store items, you are limited to the small amount in the world, and while there are a larger amount of Golden Chests, it is still limited.

Each mimic would drop its own type of chest; a Golden Mimic would drop a Golden Chest, a Shadow Mimic would drop a Shadow Chest, etc, and the drop rate would be relatively low (perhaps 10%).
Very cool, I would also add a luck accessory like mimic charm or maybe a mask, like the one from dark souls.

Not a bad idea at all and makes perfect sense considering there are Mimics that look just like them. Maybe they take too much of a beating to be used afterward.

Either the above mentioned or make them craftable. Especially the golden chest. It's only cosmetic.

Not a bad idea at all and makes perfect sense considering there are Mimics that look just like them. Maybe they take too much of a beating to be used afterward.

Either the above mentioned or make them craftable. Especially the golden chest. It's only cosmetic.
Yeah, we made some of the chests in me and my team's mod craftable, I have to give at least partial credit to @Tarluk for the idea. Even if they don't own it specifically, I probably wouldn't have thought about adding it to the mod. But yeah, these chests probably should've been craftable from the start.

Back
Top Bottom