Console Add Combat Targeting to the Console Terraria Versions

Do YOU console Terrarians want some combat targeting?

• I will only enjoy this feature if you change this... (Specify your concern.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sharkman0101

Spazmatism
Combat Targeting, a feature that allows you to "lock-on" to an opponent, and is currently present in most verisons of Terraria. The only exception seems to be the Console versions.

Now, you may be wondering, why do we need this? Doesn't aim with the controller work smoothly?
Weeeeeeeelllllll, not exactly. Trying to aim with weapons that require precise aim such as yo-yos or thin line of sight weapons like guns can be tricky and often miss due to the nature of the control stick compared to a mouse. Trust me, trying to hit enemies with such weapons is a real pain. You'd especially feel the burn when a Herpling is charging you and your Armarok keeps going up and around the damn mutated slug.

So, this suggestion is pretty simple. Like how you can use Combat Targeting with Gamepads on the PC version, you can assign a button on the controller that will act as the lock-on button. You can also choose who the combat targeting cycle priorities, being the case with PC in how you can choose line of sight lock-on or closest target lock-on. With this feature, it will enable weapons such as a yo-yo to effectively hit a target without it missing constantly due to the lack of precision on the control stick.

That's pretty much all I have to say here, it is a simple suggestion that will greatly improve the console experience for many. Thoughts? Concerns? Anything I missed or need to improve upon?

Cheers!

I spent most of my earlier years on Console and I never had a problem with targeting, there's no reason for this and it will make things too easy.

I spent most of my earlier years on Console and I never had a problem with targeting, there's no reason for this and it will make things too easy.
That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be added to the console. The feature is already present in PC when playing with a gamepad, because certain weapons can be tough to use with the current way control sticks handle movement and sensitivity(this is especially true for yo-yos). Why should PC get this luxury while people on the console who would prefer to have this feature get left behind? Difficulty concerns should not rule out a game mechanic many people(including myself) would enjoy. I find certain weapons like yo-yos or the Star Wrath, for instance, unacceptable for aggressive use in their current state. If you think it will make the game easier for you, don't use it.

That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be added to the console. The feature is already present in PC when playing with a gamepad, because certain weapons can be tough to use with the current way control sticks handle movement and sensitivity(this is especially true for yo-yos). Why should PC get this luxury while people on the console who would prefer to have this feature get left behind? Difficulty concerns should not rule out a game mechanic many people(including myself) would enjoy. I find certain weapons like yo-yos or the Star Wrath, for instance, unacceptable for aggressive use in their current state. If you think it will make the game easier for you, don't use it.
I read over Yoyos, fair enough. For those I can see it being necessary.

I see where you're coming from, but it all requires practice. I'm deadly accurate with everything in the game with a controller. Just need to practice

I see where you're coming from, but it all requires practice. I'm deadly accurate with everything in the game with a controller. Just need to practice
Why should console be forced to practice using weapons that don't naturally work with the sensitivity of the controller while PC use of a gamepad can get combat targeting? Saying "it can be solved with a lot of practice" isn't exactly the best way to critique a suggestion about a game mechanic, especially when it reduces the balance of control between the versions.

I've had played the console version for several years now(refering to old gen, now new gen). I am well aware that practice can improve the viability of some weapons. Line of sight weapons are no problem for me. But weapons like yo-yos or Star Wrath that can shoot across a plain around the character just don't work with how the control stick works. Having a lock-on feature will not only aid in aiming but it will bring the console version closer to the prestige of the PC version. Difficulty should come from the design of the game, not because of a lack of control.

I fully respect your ability to use all weapons expertly, but not everyone is adjusted to use the lack of sensitivity on the control stick and many find it difficult to navigate various weapons in this game. If you don't need the feature, that is totally fine. Just think about those who would love the feature and would use it to make a more enjoyable experience for themselves.

Why should console be forced to practice using weapons that don't naturally work with the sensitivity of the controller while PC use of a gamepad can get combat targeting? Saying "it can be solved with a lot of practice" isn't exactly the best way to critique a suggestion about a game mechanic, especially when it reduces the balance of control between the versions.

I've had played the console version for several years now(refering to old gen, now new gen). I am well aware that practice can improve the viability of some weapons. Line of sight weapons are no problem for me. But weapons like yo-yos or Star Wrath that can shoot across a plain around the character just don't work with how the control stick works. Having a lock-on feature will not only aid in aiming but it will bring the console version closer to the prestige of the PC version. Difficulty should come from the design of the game, not because of a lack of control.
Actually I was being modest when i said i'm good with all weapons. It only requires practise if you don't have good hand to eye coordination. I mastered all weapons as soon as i use them. If you're unable, then you don't have good hand to eye coordination and the game shouldn't have to aid you for your faults. Everyone i know is fine with the current controls of all weapons. The game shouldn't be made easier just because your'e not as good. If your'e not good then just practice.

Actually I was being modest when i said i'm good with all weapons. It only requires practise if you don't have good hand to eye coordination. I mastered all weapons as soon as i use them. If you're unable, then you don't have good hand to eye coordination and the game shouldn't have to aid you for your faults. Everyone i know is fine with the current controls of all weapons. The game shouldn't be made easier just because your'e not as good. If your'e not good then just practice.
This isn't exactly about hand-eye cordination. Using weapons like yo-yos are difficult because the sensitivity is unable to be consistent with movement of the control stick. The Manual or Auto cursor modes are either too fast or too slow for weapons like this. That isn't exactly a fault on the player. That is a fault on game design. As such, people who use controllers on the PC version were given the Combat Targeting system to make up for a lack of sensitivity control. A mouse is many times better than a controller in this regard, so why should console version be limited to no lock-on feature? And, yes, the game should aid for faults on the player. Not aiding woes the community has shows indifference in the developers. Difficulty settings are usually the way to solve this, but a lock-on feature would be the panacea for the lack of sensitivity or control on part of the controller. Again, it is perfectly fine if you don't need this feature. I mostly don't need this feature, but I would enjoy using it with weapons like yo-yos or thin line of sight weapons that miss constantly, especially for small enemies(ex: Space Gun). This isn't about my lack of skill, I am perfectly able to beat both Normal mode and Expert mode.

If you still can't understand my point, compare the PC mouse control to Console control. The game was balanced around PC control, so it is many times worse on the console, especially reinforced by the lack of a targeting system that the PC already has for gamepads! So, again, why should we be limited when the feature is already available? Difficulty isn't in the equation anymore. They already added this feature before. Refusal to port it to the console version shows bias toward the PC. Why should we stick to underdeveloped game mechanics when this mechanic would help many people? It doesn't matter that the people you know are fine with the controls of the game, because you don't know everyone. Your feelings don't represent the community. It is perfectly fine if you enjoy and master the controller. Not everyone has the time for this though, so why not add a feature that has already been added in another version of the game with the same type of controller?

This isn't exactly about hand-eye cordination. Using weapons like yo-yos are difficult because the sensitivity is unable to be consistent with movement of the control stick. The Manual or Auto cursor modes are either too fast or too slow for weapons like this. That isn't exactly a fault on the player. That is a fault on game design. As such, people who use controllers on the PC version were given the Combat Targeting system to make up for a lack of sensitivity control. A mouse is many times better than a controller in this regard, so why should console version be limited to no lock-on feature? And, yes, the game should aid for faults on the player. Not aiding woes the community has shows indifference in the developers. Difficulty settings are usually the way to solve this, but a lock-on feature would be the panacea for the lack of sensitivity or control on part of the controller. Again, it is perfectly fine if you don't need this feature. I mostly don't need this feature, but I would enjoy using it with weapons like yo-yos or thin line of sight weapons that miss constantly, especially for small enemies(ex: Space Gun). This isn't about my lack of skill, I am perfectly able to beat both Normal mode and Expert mode.

If you still can't understand my point, compare the PC mouse control to Console control. The game was balanced around PC control, so it is many times worse on the console, especially reinforced by the lack of a targeting system that the PC already has for gamepads! So, again, why should we be limited when the feature is already available? Difficulty isn't in the equation anymore. They already added this feature before. Refusal to port it to the console version shows bias toward the PC. Why should we stick to underdeveloped game mechanics when this mechanic would help many people? It doesn't matter that the people you know are fine with the controls of the game, because you don't know everyone. Your feelings don't represent the community. It is perfectly fine if you enjoy and master the controller. Not everyone has the time for this though, so why not add a feature that has already been added in another version of the game with the same type of controller?
The cursor isn't too fast or too slow. It's easy to use yo-yos and other weapons with smart cursor or manual. I don't get where you got the idea of sensitivity being too high or too low. That makes absolutely no sense as it's untrue

If you use manual cursor, the sensitivity is far too low for use of certain weapons. If you use smart cursor, the sensitivity is more acceptable, but the accuracy of the weapon you are using goes way down, and sensitivity is a bit hard to control. Compared to a mouse and keyboard, you can easily control the trajectory of a weapon whilst maintaining the speed of the sensitivity. Both cursors in the console version are unreliable compared to mouse and keyboard control. Even if you are able to adjust to the sensitivity, it is still a major disadvantage compared to mouse and keyboard in terms of control, hence why they added the lock-on feature. So why, exactly, do you support the lack of this feature when it merely will even out the control between mouse and keyboard/controller, while it is completely optional? If you think it will make the game too easy, fine. You shouldn't control how hard the game is for others though, that is merely up to the player and what the game contains. My logic revolves around the fact that PC has it. Why not console?

If you have any other evidence supporting your argument that isn't just personal bias, than I would be happy to consider it for the suggestion. Remember, this is about the community, not just you and me. :)

If you use manual cursor, the sensitivity is far too low for use of certain weapons. If you use smart cursor, the sensitivity is more acceptable, but the accuracy of the weapon you are using goes way down, and sensitivity is a bit hard to control. Compared to a mouse and keyboard, you can easily control the trajectory of a weapon whilst maintaining the speed of the sensitivity. Both cursors in the console version are unreliable compared to mouse and keyboard control. Even if you are able to adjust to the sensitivity, it is still a major disadvantage compared to mouse and keyboard in terms of control, hence why they added the lock-on feature. So why, exactly, do you support the lack of this feature when it merely will even out the control between mouse and keyboard/controller, while it is completely optional? If you think it will make the game too easy, fine. You shouldn't control how hard the game is for others though, that is merely up to the player and what the game contains. My logic revolves around the fact that PC has it. Why not console?

If you have any other evidence supporting your argument that isn't just personal bias, than I would be happy to consider it for the suggestion. Remember, this is about the community, not just you and me. :)
Like i've said, the sensitivity is perfect. Nothing is too high or too low. I have no idea where you get that from. Keep in mind if you have this in pvp it would ruin the community. Your suggestion is ridiculous and the fact that an aim assist would ruin pvp isn't personal bias, it's a fact. PC and console aren't cross compatible. If it was then maybe i see your point but the fact is everyone else finds it fine as it is. The game is easy as it is, there is no need to make it a walk in the park by adding an aim assist. They need to fix the game before they add new and untested features. and before you say it has been tested on PC, it hasn't been tested on console. The disadvantages heavily outweigh the advantages if auto aim is added. You have no leg to stand on in this debate, iv'e proved your arguments wrong. Either accept that or keep trying to get a feature that will never come.

I've never brought PVP into the equation. PVP is already broken with the prescence of Moon Lord weapons, and couldn't they just disable human targeting like they did with how homing in weapons don't work? Adding one feature doesn't mean the entire game is broken in half. Solutions exist. The sensitivity subject is merely up to personal opinion. If you can adjust perfectly, then that is perfectly fine. I don't however. I find it unresponsive and tricky to move successfully. There is not much I can do to help you see against the sensitivity issues or control issues, since you have already adjusted to it and therefore don't see a problem in it. Does that disprove your argument or mine? Not at all, it merely shows unrest with some people in the community with the controller situation and, again, lock-on can help solve that. I have never said anything about cross compatibility, I have only said they have aim assist while this version doesn't. Again, the game is a walk in the park for you. That doesn't disprove anything nor does it reduce the viability of the suggestion at hand. Aim assist is perfectly tested in all other versions of the game, the only thing it does is maker it easier to aim. Will it make the game easier for those who use it? You bet, but that doesn't totally make the suggestion bad as an idea. There isn't much to test here, since the feature is only available to controllers. Since both theoretically work the same as they should on both versions, what is there to test? This is the same game, so what does this add to the argument? Your disadvantages listed are this:
- It will make the game easy for those who use it. Some people don't view this as a disadvantage. Not everyone thinks this game is easy. YOU think it is easy. Some prefer to have a bit of ease on top of them. You may think the game is easy because you have played it for a long time. First timers may struggle, so this is a perfect solution.
- It will break PVP, though this is only a minor part of the game(most of the community is in PVE as the bulk of content stands within PVE), it is already broken in half and you can easily disable auto-aim on players.
- It is untested, though you have no proof for this since you haven't developed the feature for the PC or Mobile versions. The state of this can only be determined by the developers. Seeing as it was already developed and works fine with those versions, nothing really seems to be untested here.
Advantages:
- It will make certain weapons easier to use for those who can't quite adjust with the control stick.
- It can help people practice dodging or give a casual time to certian players. (Not everyone wants a hard time. Difficulty should go both ways to bring in more audiences.)
- It is completely optional.

You haven't proved anything on my argument wrong, you only brought in the fact that you don't need it, and you say you think the community doesn't want it because it will make the game too easy(which you don't represent the community, and neither do I). You can't go upright and say someone has lost the argument, only the person arguing can admit that. I will always be happy to participate in a conversation and back up my point, as long as it goes in the right direction.

NOTE: I completely respect your opinion. If you feel that this feature is absolutely not needed, then you are free to think that way. However, that shouldn't disprove the structure of the suggestion. With the "sensitivity issues" and what not, you stating it is perfect shows evidence that you put bias into the equation. Perfect is subjective and not everyone has the time to adjust to this sensitivity, because it is much easier to aim and perform tasks on the good old mouse and keyboard over the controller. Re-Logic added Combat Targeting to the PC version because it served a purpose on controllers. Your arguments show that you wish for the feature to be removed, yet you only show some of the community. Think about what the whole community reflects upon controllers. Combat Targeting is a great step foward for use of controllers in a game like this.

Let me say this again, difficulty is subjective. A walk in a park only applies to some people, and some people wish to have this feature to make it easier for them. Since the feature is proposed to be optional, it will not harm you and it benefits those who want to use it. If it isn't added, it will not harm you but it harms those who struggle. Which is the better alternative?

I have no personal experience with this issue as I play PC version with a mouse. However, it seems like a perfectly reasonable suggestion to add the feature to console, especially since it already exists as an optional setting for controllers on PC.

Back
Top Bottom