Weapons & Equip Add ice blade to the night's edge

Ultimate snowman 46

Duke Fishron
The title practically says this suggestion:
Add the ice blade as a 5th crafting material for the night's edge.
The night's edge is made up of pre-hardmode swords from the underworld, jungle, dungeon, and the corruption/crimson, which will eventually combine with the hallow when the excalibur is added. But, where is the snow biome in this? Nowhere. And what is a pre-hardmode sword you can get in the snow biome?: ice blade.
Although this will mean extra work, the ice blade isn't that hard to find, and it's a main sword in pre-hardmode anyway. If a snow biome sword is added, it would seem much more reasonable.
Possibly even a desert sword could be added to the night's edge.

I don't really see the need. It's not as much theme, moreso difficulty of obtaining. Even at high prehardmode tier, the ingreedents serve a difficult challenge to get, and the next time one wants to go after them post-mech, hardmode has once again brought difficulty to any ingredients you left behind. But ice bats and armored Vikings at such a tier isn't fun to go back and grind for.

In my opinion, I don't really think that it would be much of an interesting addition to the game, nor would it make much sense. The Night's Edge is made up of four of the Worlds most powerful swords. And each sword is quite powerful on their own, as well as being hard to get. For the Light's Bane/Blood Butcher, you will need to kill either the Eye of Cthulhu, or the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu. For the Muramasa, you will need to defeat Skeletron and get a golden key to open a dungeon chest to get it. For the Blade of Grass, you will need to traverse the underground Jungle to get Jungle spores and defeat it's fairly powerful monsters for stingers to craft it. For the Fiery Greatsword, you will need to dig so deep that you end up in the Underworld. Then, after you reach the Underworld, you will have to use either skill and dumb luck, or an obsidian potion to mine the Hellstone that spawns there in order to combine it with the combination of both water and lava, Obsidian, in order to create Hellstone bars to make it.

Meanwhile, to get the Ice Blade, you need to dig under the snow biome to find an underground ice chest to get it. Quite frankly, the sword itself isn't really that powerful either when compared to the other swords. Not to mention the lack of difficulty when getting it. Unlike the previous swords, the Ice Blade requires no boss to beat, no substance that is unique in the way that it spawns only in said biome to combine along with the loot from some fairly powerful mobs, no type of task that requires a potion to get, only just luck, and time.

Plus, unlike the dungeon, the Underworld, the Corruption/Crimson, or the Jungle, the ice biome doesn't feel like it stands apart from the rest of the Biomes as much as the others. If anything, it's only an alternative to the Desert. It isn't a structure that leads several feet downwards with cool loot, it's not a biome that stretches all the way from the beginning to the end of the world and requires several blocks to be mined downwards before it is achieved, it's not a biome that feels like a living organism that tries to consume the rest of the world, and it certainly doesn't have the Lihzard temple, The Golem, or Plantera.

If anything, it's just the ice biome.
With it's ice, and snow.

Terrible the snow biome is so miniscule in the grand scheme of things and I generally avoid it the only real way you die is falling through thin ice the music is annoying and there are so many blocks in the way of the chests also the other swords are 100000000 times stronger I would not have raged this much if you said enchanted sword but just give the devs a break

In my opinion, I don't really think that it would be much of an interesting addition to the game, nor would it make much sense. The Night's Edge is made up of four of the Worlds most powerful swords. And each sword is quite powerful on their own, as well as being hard to get. For the Light's Bane/Blood Butcher, you will need to kill either the Eye of Cthulhu, or the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu. For the Muramasa, you will need to defeat Skeletron and get a golden key to open a dungeon chest to get it. For the Blade of Grass, you will need to traverse the underground Jungle to get Jungle spores and defeat it's fairly powerful monsters for stingers to craft it. For the Fiery Greatsword, you will need to dig so deep that you end up in the Underworld. Then, after you reach the Underworld, you will have to use either skill and dumb luck, or an obsidian potion to mine the Hellstone that spawns there in order to combine it with the combination of both water and lava, Obsidian, in order to create Hellstone bars to make it.

Meanwhile, to get the Ice Blade, you need to dig under the snow biome to find an underground ice chest to get it. Quite frankly, the sword itself isn't really that powerful either when compared to the other swords. Not to mention the lack of difficulty when getting it. Unlike the previous swords, the Ice Blade requires no boss to beat, no substance that is unique in the way that it spawns only in said biome to combine along with the loot from some fairly powerful mobs, no type of task that requires a potion to get, only just luck, and time.

Plus, unlike the dungeon, the Underworld, the Corruption/Crimson, or the Jungle, the ice biome doesn't feel like it stands apart from the rest of the Biomes as much as the others. If anything, it's only an alternative to the Desert. It isn't a structure that leads several feet downwards with cool loot, it's not a biome that stretches all the way from the beginning to the end of the world and requires several blocks to be mined downwards before it is achieved, it's not a biome that feels like a living organism that tries to consume the rest of the world, and it certainly doesn't have the Lihzard temple, The Golem, or Plantera.

If anything, it's just the ice biome.
With it's ice, and snow.

I second this reply. I personally believe that the Ice Sword should not really be required to craft one of the best true melee weapons of prehardmode, for several reasons.
1: Melee weapons that shoot out projectiles that can hit enemies which are a fair distance away from the player that don't require hitting to shoot projectiles just aren't really melee weapons, but instead chinese bootlegs of ranged weapons.
2: The Ice Blade is pretty much out of the way, and probably will only be noticed while :redspin:ing around in an attempt to find potions for buffs, or exploring the underground ice biome in Hardmode for loot, in which point said loot is way stronger than the Ice Blade.
3: The Light's Bane/Blood Butcherer, Blade of Grass and Fiery Greatsword are three stronger swords and also nights edge ingredients that are obtainable before any bosses. (Before you say "but you need to defeat EoC/EoW/BoC for the light's bane and the EoW/BoC for a pickaxe that can mine hellstone for a fiery greatsword hurr durr", remember that the Reaver Shark exists, and can be fished up in the ocean before any bosses.)

I don’t agree. While it fits thematically, the ice sword occasionally is impossible to acquire in a world because of chest RNG. A random chance to not get the Muramasa is bad enough, the ice sword would just compound this and make it so that it may take more than 1 world to get nights edge, and by extent true nights edge and terra blade.

This literally will make no difference except a lot more grinding and RNG. Might as well ad starfury as well. And Enchanted Sword. And heck even arkalis

This would serve no point, the ice blade is a weak sword compared to the other 4(5) and would have no benefit in crafting.

The only weapon I'm ok with being added to the Night's Edge crafting recipe is the Copper Shortsword. (Or tin if you're a pleb.)

The title practically says this suggestion:
Add the ice blade as a 5th crafting material for the night's edge.
The night's edge is made up of pre-hardmode swords from the underworld, jungle, dungeon, and the corruption/crimson, which will eventually combine with the hallow when the excalibur is added. But, where is the snow biome in this? Nowhere. And what is a pre-hardmode sword you can get in the snow biome?: ice blade.
Although this will mean extra work, the ice blade isn't that hard to find, and it's a main sword in pre-hardmode anyway. If a snow biome sword is added, it would seem much more reasonable.
Possibly even a desert sword could be added to the night's edge.
What if you use ice, snow, and something else (maybe a new item that is the opposite of the jungle spores. I was thinking of ice shards, but I think those already exist) You would use those to craft the blade of ice. Basically the blade of grass/fire but it inflects the debuff frost burn.

The Night's Edge was introduced in PC version 1.0.5 and was made of what was probably at the time, all available end-game swords. The Snow biome was introduced in PC version 1.1.1. So it's not so much that the Night's Edge ignored the Snow biome, it's that the Snow biome was added after the Night's Edge. The Ice Blade itself wasn't introduced until version 1.2.

At that point, there probably isn't a need to retroactively make the Night's Edge harder to craft. Other classes don't have a crafting tree like this to get their best pre-hardmode weapon.

Back
Top Bottom