Other Add option to remove rain particles

Christian2696

Terrarian
Okay so long story short, game runs perfectly all the time besides when it's raining, experiencing some serious fps drop then. Now I know it's not just me, there's been plenty of people out there who have had the same thing. I am hoping something could be done about this, maybe option to remove the partcles added in the game settings?

I'm sure just removing rain particles wouldn't help you much outside from when it's raining. Especially in hardmode, particle effects are all over the place. You'd also run into that problem again, when you're at a snow biome.

Unless your computer is well above the requirements to run Terraria, try messing around with some in-game video options, like frameskipping or try lower your resolution.

If your computer's specs are well over Terraria's system requirements, make sure, that your GPU isn't idling when you're playing.
Terraria lacks a bit of optimization in that regard, with GPU's, who use adaptive power modes, resulting in the game sometimes making the GPU run at 100% clock speeds, then going down to 10% and up to 50% again - back and forth.

To check, if that's the issue, force a constant 50 or 100% clock speed, while playing Terraria. On one of my old GPU's, i work around that, by loading up a random video on my internet browser and pause it, which forces that GPU to stay above 50% clock speeds.
Get a GPU monitoring program, like MSI Afterburner, if you don't already have one installed for confirmation.

Yeah it's not the particles. The last big update added a bunch of "optimizations" which can :red: with your system if you are using a potato, and sometimes even if you have a decent computer. Last time we had to tell people to turn off multi-core lighting. If you have that on, turn it off because it adds nothing. Try turning frame skip off. Set to a lower resolution. Use normal lighting. You may need to lower quality a bit, and you can do that without killing too much of your experience.

You can turn all the particles off and still have lag especially if the next update adds more pointless optimizations.

Now, maybe you can actually get help with this if you actually posted your computer's specs.. You could have the :red:test computer or you could have a $3000 gaming computer. No one here knows.

Ok I know this is really old but it is the first result on Google when searching "Terraria disable rain." So if your stumbling across this with performance issues when it's raining.. Try turning off background in Video settings. I found this to be very effective on older hardware.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom